Let's see pics of your stereo setup! - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1388Likes

post #1471 of 1833 Old 01-27-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I bought them through ATS Acoustics. Thank you for the compliment.

Well if you ever get a chance, do listen, they have a smooth top-end with clean mids and punchy low-end. I really enjoy them.
I figured they were. Are all of yours the microsuede panels? I have two that are microsuede from ATS and the rest are their original/standard fabric.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 60XT/Motion 40s - HTD Level 2 Tower surrounds
Extra Speakers : Pioneer FS52s/BS22s - Infinity Primus 363s/163s - RBH R5Bi(2pair)/R5Ci
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1833 Old 01-27-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
I figured they were. Are all of yours the microsuede panels? I have two that are microsuede from ATS and the rest are their original/standard fabric.
They are all microsuede. I have 5 in my stairwell in the lightest color you see and a bass trap behind the sub in the same color in the corner.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #1473 of 1833 Old 02-03-2016, 07:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 4129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
I preferred the rebuilt vintage Genesis speakers over the smaller Polks, so I moved them to the credenza below (ear-height to my desk). This also provided floor/wall isolation between the speakers and the turntable. Plus I added sorbothane isolation pads under the turntable feet.

Update since last year's pic.

I'm doing a few changes. Yesterday I picked up a vintage Sansui QRX-7001 Quadraphonic receiver/amp. The local seller is a retired electronics technician and completely recapped it and tuned it with the service manual and an o-scope. I really like the sound and the extra power sounds great (my tube amp only had 3.5W).

And I've added a lot of records in the last year, so I'm designing a built-in cabinet around the Sansui.

Here's a sketch. For those of you who speak Ikeanese... KALLAX EKBACKEN BRIMNES.

post #1474 of 1833 Old 02-03-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

I'm doing a few changes. Yesterday I picked up a vintage Sansui QRX-7001 Quadraphonic receiver/amp. The local seller is a retired electronics technician and completely recapped it and tuned it with the service manual and an o-scope. I really like the sound and the extra power sounds great (my tube amp only had 3.5W).

And I've added a lot of records in the last year, so I'm designing a built-in cabinet around the Sansui.

Here's a sketch. For those of you who speak Ikeanese... KALLAX EKBACKEN BRIMNES.

That sketch looks like it's gonna come out awesome -- in any case, you need to get your speakers out from beneath your gear, as it is now!

5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2 CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB
post #1475 of 1833 Old 02-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:

Nice built-in cabinet but I have a question. What is all the open space above the turntable going to be used for? Why not build more cubicles to hold more vinyl? Just curious.

Sony STR-DE545 Receiver | Sony CDP-CE315 5-Disc CD Changer | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers

"My CD's don't earn interest...they play sweet music."
"Vinyl-free since 1983"
post #1476 of 1833 Old 02-05-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
Nice built-in cabinet but I have a question. What is all the open space above the turntable going to be used for? Why not build more cubicles to hold more vinyl? Just curious.
Great minds think alike.

The original intent was to leave the space between the cubes as wide as possible so it could function as a desk area if I ever removed the turntable (gasp) or for the next homeowner if we ever move (gasp).

I was originally going to just build a couple of shelves, but it turned out harder to cleanly and securely attach simple shelves to the side units, so last night I just bought another 2x2 Kallax cube and it's going in that upper space. That will be easier to attach crown molding across the top.

So that now gives me 20 cubes. But with 9' ceilings, the top row will be a little impractical to view/reach records. So I'll probably just use the bottom 14 for records and the top row for other stuff.

Here's the updated sketch:
post #1477 of 1833 Old 02-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Great minds think alike.

The original intent was to leave the space between the cubes as wide as possible so it could function as a desk area if I ever removed the turntable (gasp) or for the next homeowner if we ever move (gasp).

I was originally going to just build a couple of shelves, but it turned out harder to cleanly and securely attach simple shelves to the side units, so last night I just bought another 2x2 Kallax cube and it's going in that upper space. That will be easier to attach crown molding across the top.

So that now gives me 20 cubes. But with 9' ceilings, the top row will be a little impractical to view/reach records. So I'll probably just use the bottom 14 for records and the top row for other stuff.

Here's the updated sketch:

Looks much better IMO with the extra cubes for vinyl. I bet it has been a fun project so far.

Sony STR-DE545 Receiver | Sony CDP-CE315 5-Disc CD Changer | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers

"Vinyl-free since 1983"
post #1478 of 1833 Old 02-05-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yep, lots of fun. I got most of it done tonight. Rock solid.

Still need to do cable management and trim/crown.

post #1479 of 1833 Old 02-05-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3796 Post(s)
Liked: 7253
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Here is my setup:
Dynaudio Focus 260s
Naim Uniti 2 Integrated Amp All-in-One Network Streamer
Pro-ject 2xperience TT w/ Stock Sumiko Blue Point No.2
Naim Stageline phono preamp
Mac Mini w/ M2Tech HiFace USB to spdif converter running JRiver

My system integrates the HT setup also, but the HT bypass on the Naim allows to separate 2-ch from HT. The rest of the gear is a Marantz 7007, Oppo 103, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Dynaudio Focus 210C and DM2/6 and a 55" Panasonic Plasma.

Spoiler!
Very nice, Callas.

Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
post #1480 of 1833 Old 02-06-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Very nice, Callas.
Thank you Wabo!!!

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, NaimUniti 2, Naim Stageline N, Pro-ject 2xperience Classic, Marantz SR7007, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD
post #1481 of 1833 Old 02-07-2016, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
First time poster and here is my setup

Hi everyone, first time poster, just getting into vintage audio and vinyl the last few months. Well, I grew up with vinyl and even acquired a record player about 10 years ago but never used it. It was kept boxed up for most of those years. Anyway, here is my setup... it was quite inexpensive and that was my goal. Perhaps later I will gradually upgrade but I am happy with the setup for now.

All prices include shipping (if applicable):

Pioneer PL15D turntable - Craigslist $90
Kenwood KA3500 amp - ebay approx $95
Kenwood KT5300 tuner - ebay approx $90
Kenwood KX620 cassette deck - ebay approx $90
Sony DVP NS975V dvd/cd player - ebay $25
Kenwood JL774 speakers - Goodwill $15

I bought the Sony DVD player because it was cheap, had a brushed silver face to match the Kenwood separates, and it can play SACD's. The speakers I took a chance on... saw them at a Goodwill, was pleased they were Kenwoods to match most of the rest of the setup, and figured the worst that could happen is I'd be out $15. Big deal. It turns out they work great and sound beautiful. I think they are circa 1989/90. Oh, there is an ipod sat on top of the CD player too but I already had that (had it a few years) so I am not factoring it into the cost.

Eventually, I might get another cube storage thing like the one in the photo. $60 from Target, not too shabby, and the perfect size for records. If I do that, I will throw out the old cheap black thing at the back that has the Xbox cases in it (yeah only the cases, the games are all by the TV!). The Nexera media cabinet that the components are on was also very cheap and commonly found but I like the slightly retro look of it. The veneer makes it look like something out of the 70's. It was only about $120 from Amazon.

The records in the box next to the cube thing recent purchases that still need cleaning (you'll note the trusty Spin Clean next to the right speaker). The small stack of records in front of the box, under the plastic sleeves, are ones I won't be keeping. Mostly 12" singles and a few duplicate albums.

Unfortunately, I only have a few cassettes right now (far right of the picture) because it's getting harder and harder to find them. Goodwill doesn't carry them anymore and neither do many other thrift stores. It's just a matter of keeping my eye out for them. I dig the cassettes but not enough to buy them on ebay... yet.

CD's are on top of the cube thing in the turquoise wood crates. Not too many, probably around 50, but I am not actively looking for those as much as I am the records. If I happen to see a good CD in a thrift store, I'll get it, but I am not looking for them in record stores or online.

I know the setup is very humble compared to many others but it sounds great, to me at least, and that's always the most important thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160207_002338.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	1235657  
post #1482 of 1833 Old 02-07-2016, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by theharbinger2125 View Post
Hi everyone, first time poster, just getting into vintage audio and vinyl the last few months. Well, I grew up with vinyl and even acquired a record player about 10 years ago but never used it. It was kept boxed up for most of those years. Anyway, here is my setup... it was quite inexpensive and that was my goal. Perhaps later I will gradually upgrade but I am happy with the setup for now.

I bought the Sony DVD player because it was cheap, had a brushed silver face to match the Kenwood separates, and it can play SACD's. The speakers I took a chance on... saw them at a Goodwill, was pleased they were Kenwoods to match most of the rest of the setup, and figured the worst that could happen is I'd be out $15. Big deal. It turns out they work great and sound beautiful. I think they are circa 1989/90. Oh, there is an ipod sat on top of the CD player too but I already had that (had it a few years) so I am not factoring it into the cost.

Eventually, I might get another cube storage thing like the one in the photo. $60 from Target, not too shabby, and the perfect size for records. If I do that, I will throw out the old cheap black thing at the back that has the Xbox cases in it (yeah only the cases, the games are all by the TV!). The Nexera media cabinet that the components are on was also very cheap and commonly found but I like the slightly retro look of it. The veneer makes it look like something out of the 70's. It was only about $120 from Amazon.

The records in the box next to the cube thing recent purchases that still need cleaning (you'll note the trusty Spin Clean next to the right speaker). The small stack of records in front of the box, under the plastic sleeves, are ones I won't be keeping. Mostly 12" singles and a few duplicate albums.

Unfortunately, I only have a few cassettes right now (far right of the picture) because it's getting harder and harder to find them. Goodwill doesn't carry them anymore and neither do many other thrift stores. It's just a matter of keeping my eye out for them. I dig the cassettes but not enough to buy them on ebay... yet.

CD's are on top of the cube thing in the turquoise wood crates. Not too many, probably around 50, but I am not actively looking for those as much as I am the records. If I happen to see a good CD in a thrift store, I'll get it, but I am not looking for them in record stores or online.

I know the setup is very humble compared to many others but it sounds great, to me at least, and that's always the most important thing.
Trust me.... you have an amazing system... inserting an eq in the chain might improve the quality a bit at the risk of frying your tweeters, you actually need to own something like this before you can appreciate a natural sounding system
post #1483 of 1833 Old 02-07-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky View Post
Trust me.... you have an amazing system... inserting an eq in the chain might improve the quality a bit at the risk of frying your tweeters, you actually need to own something like this before you can appreciate a natural sounding system
Thank you, balky! The Goodwill auction website had a Kenwood EQ that I was tempted to bid on a few weeks ago, but I read that a lot of people don't like EQ's because it's just adding one more thing in the way of the natural sound so I didn't bid on it.
post #1484 of 1833 Old 02-07-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3973 Post(s)
Liked: 3880
Quote:
Thank you, balky! The Goodwill auction website had a Kenwood EQ that I was tempted to bid on a few weeks ago, but I read that a lot of people don't like EQ's because it's just adding one more thing in the way of the natural sound so I didn't bid on it.
Your speakers and room will dictate how natural the resulting sound will be, an eq sometimes can help....there are those fans of "straight wire" playback but considering the shortcomings caused by speakers in a given room, dsp can help (but has the potential to add something unwanted, just as it has the potential of making something better).

You might want to check the stylus/cartridge, it may have been abused....
azz7686 and TheNightwisher like this.
post #1485 of 1833 Old 02-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice vintage system.

"Vinyl-free since 1983"
post #1486 of 1833 Old 02-07-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Your speakers and room will dictate how natural the resulting sound will be, an eq sometimes can help....there are those fans of "straight wire" playback but considering the shortcomings caused by speakers in a given room, dsp can help (but has the potential to add something unwanted, just as it has the potential of making something better).

You might want to check the stylus/cartridge, it may have been abused....
Hmm, well it is a small room (my office), and the speakers are very big for such a small room so I might have to think about it.

The stylus and cartridge are brand new. I tried using the Stanton 500 V3 from my old turntable and, while the stylus didn't really have that many hours on it, I wasn't satisfied with the amount of weight I was having to put on it to avoid sibilance. So, I bought the AT39E for $38 from Amazon and it sounds terrific. Much better than the AT for sure.
post #1487 of 1833 Old 02-07-2016, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hmm, well it is a small room (my office), and the speakers are very big for such a small room so I might have to think about it.

The stylus and cartridge are brand new. I tried using the Stanton 500 V3 from my old turntable and, while the stylus didn't really have that many hours on it, I wasn't satisfied with the amount of weight I was having to put on it to avoid sibilance. So, I bought the AT39E for $38 from Amazon and it sounds terrific. Much better than the AT for sure.
Yow those are pretty good sized, especially for a small room.....not that I think that's a bad thing.
TheNightwisher likes this.
post #1488 of 1833 Old 02-07-2016, 11:34 AM

Oops I meant AT95E. Not sure how I mis-typed 39.
post #1489 of 1833 Old 02-07-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Love the rack the system is in, and I had always been a Kenwood fan when they were still doing good, solid home audio -- I had two of their integrated amps and even a CD changer. I was furious when I learned they turned to car audio only. Believe it or not, I used a Kenwood integrated amp when I DJ'ed years ago and that thing KICKED ASS...I mean, it sounded and delivered like a high-powered muscle amp.

I, too, want an EQ in my two-channel system but my stereo receiver won't allow for the hookup.

5.1:
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2 CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB
post #1490 of 1833 Old 02-08-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yesterday I added some trim and crown molding and straightened up the wires a little...

post #1491 of 1833 Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yesterday I added some trim and crown molding and straightened up the wires a little...
Are those speakers at the front of the cabinet or the back? Looks like they need to come out to the edge of the front but hard to tell from the pic....
post #1492 of 1833 Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Nice looking shelf, but where are the speakers??

HT Setup - Sony KDS-55A3000, Marantz SR8002, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX & Martin Logan Descent I x 2
2 Channel Setup - B&W 805 Diamond, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Parasound Halo A21 & Martin Logan Depth
Misc - Ascend Ascoustics Sierra-2, Celestion SL6si, Marantz PM15-S1, Marantz SA15-S1, Bluesound Node
post #1493 of 1833 Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
Nice looking shelf, but where are the speakers??
It's a Quadraphonic receiver... two speakers are in the corners behind me and the other 2 speakers are bookshelf Polks on top (you can see them behind the crown).

But now I'm stretching the scope of this 2-channel forum... my tube amp was 2 channel, then I added the sub and got 2.1, then I swapped out for the Quadraphonic receiver and got 4.1
post #1494 of 1833 Old 02-08-2016, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Are those speakers at the front of the cabinet or the back? Looks like they need to come out to the edge of the front but hard to tell from the pic....
Halfway between the back and the front.
post #1495 of 1833 Old 02-08-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Halfway between the back and the front.
Any reason for that?

Moving them just slightly past the edge will help eliminate premature reflections from the "shelf" the speaker sit on.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Speakers : Martin Logan Motion 60XT/Motion 40s - HTD Level 2 Tower surrounds
Extra Speakers : Pioneer FS52s/BS22s - Infinity Primus 363s/163s - RBH R5Bi(2pair)/R5Ci
Subwoofer : Dual UM-18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #1496 of 1833 Old 02-08-2016, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Im Gettin in on the Kallax Bandwagon as well. I just got these. This is my sound room / living room / children s play room / frequent beer drinking room. It is certainly compromised but sounds pretty good considering the layout. I am going to try to do something with absorptive window coverings soon. The main components are Dynaudio C4, bryston 100bsst integrated, VPI scout JR, oppo 103. Sorry for the crappy pic.

shivaji and TheNightwisher like this.
post #1497 of 1833 Old 02-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
Im Gettin in on the Kallax Bandwagon as well. I just got these. This is my sound room / living room / children s play room / frequent beer drinking room. It is certainly compromised but sounds pretty good considering the layout. I am going to try to do something with absorptive window coverings soon. The main components are Dynaudio C4, bryston 100bsst integrated, VPI scout JR, oppo 103. Sorry for the crappy pic.

Who makes your audio rack?

"Vinyl-free since 1983"
post #1498 of 1833 Old 02-08-2016, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
Who makes your audio rack?
I believe Lovan, but I have had it 15 years or so.
post #1499 of 1833 Old 02-08-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Any reason for that?

Moving them just slightly past the edge will help eliminate premature reflections from the "shelf" the speaker sit on.
Heh, heh, he said "help eliminate premature reflections".

Nah, no reason. Mainly to minimize them visually as much as possible. I also thought they'd be obstructed by the crown molding if I pulled them forward, but the drivers are blocked <1" by the crown, the tweeters not at all.

I pulled them forward for a listen.
shivaji likes this.
post #1500 of 1833 Old 02-08-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, Clarence's setup looks a little suspect to me from a speaker placement perspective -- indeed, I would pull those speakers closer to the shelf edge, though I wouldn't have them all the way up near the ceiling like that to begin with...my towers in my two channel system are spaced properly apart, firing directly at my listening position...

5.1:
2 CHANNEL:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Polk Audio Rti A9 Floorstanding Speaker , Rega , Sonus Faber , B W , Mcintosh Labs , Arcam , Denon , Vienna Acoustics , Auralex , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Marantz , Pioneer , Psb , Velodyne , Sonos , Nad , Polk Audio , Infinity

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page