Let's see pics of your stereo setup! - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 1708Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1531 of 2096 Old 02-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Member
 
Tharbamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Cool looking speakers! What do the electronics attached to your speaker wires do?
Honestly I don't know or scientifically prove the benefit of it but I got the AQ Gilbralter cables at really good deal that I can't pass and sounded very good to me so I bought them but one thing I'm sure for my self is I was only looking for solid copper cables.

For further information Please read here.
Thanks
Tharbamar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1532 of 2096 Old 02-15-2016, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 15,329
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4166 Post(s)
Liked: 4050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharbamar View Post
Honestly I don't know or scientifically prove the benefit of it but I got the AQ Gilbralter cables at really good deal that I can't pass and sounded very good to me so I bought them but one thing I'm sure for my self is I was only looking for solid copper cables.

For further information Please read here.
Thanks
Was it a good deal after you had tested them somehow? Or just a reduced price on a ridiculously priced cable? Sorry, I find most anything from AQ to be fraudulent. They are among the worst of the cable charlatans. You'd be better off with solid copper cables without some psuedo Litz devices (assuming that from their appearance). If you want eq, use good dsp not silly cables that lock you into one version.
lovinthehd is online now  
post #1533 of 2096 Old 02-15-2016, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
dashpuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Nanaimo B.C
Posts: 552
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Was it a good deal after you had tested them somehow? Or just a reduced price on a ridiculously priced cable? Sorry, I find most anything from AQ to be fraudulent. They are among the worst of the cable charlatans. You'd be better off with solid copper cables without some psuedo Litz devices (assuming that from their appearance). If you want eq, use good dsp not silly cables that lock you into one version.
See, i know you were smart the cables are hokus-pokus BUT HEY !! what some like some don't..
dashpuppy is offline  
post #1534 of 2096 Old 02-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Member
 
Tharbamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Was it a good deal after you had tested them somehow? Or just a reduced price on a ridiculously priced cable? Sorry, I find most anything from AQ to be fraudulent. They are among the worst of the cable charlatans. You'd be better off with solid copper cables without some psuedo Litz devices (assuming that from their appearance). If you want eq, use good dsp not silly cables that lock you into one version.
Yes, It is very good sound/deal(wholesale price), also I'm a big fan of AQ Type-4 speaker cables for long long time, which was my main cables before these. Time to time I got good deals with my youtube channel.

I do not use or like to use dsp/eq/even tone control in my 2 channel listening and I found these speaker cables to be very well match in my system but I will not say subjective things because everyone is different.
Thanks
Tharbamar is offline  
post #1535 of 2096 Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Pacodutaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharbamar View Post




My latest purchase,
Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 will be rotating in my system with Ascend Sierra NrT Towers.
Nice set up. Kudos
Tharbamar likes this.

Sony STR-DE545 Receiver | Sony CDP-CE315 5-Disc CD Changer | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers

"My CD's don't earn interest...they play sweet music."
"Vinyl-free since 1983"
Pacodutaco is offline  
post #1536 of 2096 Old 02-15-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 4,357
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 2303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharbamar View Post
Yes, I will be getting good speakers stands if I decided to use them for long time but I might be going up on Venere line and may end up getting 3.0 to replace my Ascend towers, we'll see if I can get them in next a few months.
Thanks



1.5s are vey good speakers especially if you get them around $900, natural vocals, good imaging and detail.
I am impressed by SF Venere line in general, I like them a lot for my 2 channel music listening.
Mainly I do FLAC/WAV play back with Marantz UD7007 and spin vinyl most of the time, not much CD or streaming.
Thanks
Thanks for sharing. Would you say the SF speakers are more colored than the Ascend Sierra towers?

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
postrokfan is offline  
post #1537 of 2096 Old 02-15-2016, 10:56 PM
Member
 
Tharbamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
Thanks for sharing. Would you say the SF speakers are more colored than the Ascend Sierra towers?
Not at all, SF Venere speakers are better suited to my taste, highs are more extended than my Ascends.
Midrange is just perfect on SF Venere, I preferred the 1.5s tweeters and really like the front ported speakers.
I will be trying SF Venere 3.0 in next few months for fair comparison, I will let you guys know.
Thanks
Tharbamar is offline  
post #1538 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH and Soviet Monica, CA
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharbamar View Post
Yes, It is very good sound/deal(wholesale price), also I'm a big fan of AQ Type-4 speaker cables for long long time, which was my main cables before these. Time to time I got good deals with my youtube channel.

I do not use or like to use dsp/eq/even tone control in my 2 channel listening and I found these speaker cables to be very well match in my system but I will not say subjective things because everyone is different.
Thanks

I also use AQ Rocket 88 (sorry Olds) speaker cables. I haven't played much and won't until I get my room a little more sorted acoustically. Cables are very expensive to play with so that will be last. Room first and then another power amp then cables.
bmcn and Tharbamar like this.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #1539 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,189
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I also use AQ Rocket 88 (sorry Olds) speaker cables. I haven't played much and won't until I get my room a little more sorted acoustically. Cables are very expensive to play with so that will be last. Room first and then another power amp then cables.
What's the expected life of the 88's (similar logo to Olds') batteries and have you replaced them? Mine were priced as a throw in.

Last edited by bmcn; 02-16-2016 at 04:52 AM.
bmcn is offline  
post #1540 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH and Soviet Monica, CA
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
What's the expected life of the 88's (similar logo to Olds') batteries and have you replaced them? Mine were priced as a throw in.

I'd forgotten about them. They say years. I'm almost one year in.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #1541 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,189
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I'd forgotten about them. They say years. I'm almost one year in.
2+ years at the moment for me, prior owner claimed 1 year. Thanks.
bmcn is offline  
post #1542 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH and Soviet Monica, CA
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
2+ years at the moment for me, prior owner claimed 1 year. Thanks.

They are used lightly. I don't get nearly enough time to listen to that system. The system up here in the main area of the house is on about 18 hours a day, although generally at background levels, 70db or so to keep me company while I'm working.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #1543 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 15,329
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4166 Post(s)
Liked: 4050
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
See, i know you were smart the cables are hokus-pokus BUT HEY !! what some like some don't..
I just lose it with Audioquest and Wireworld and the rest of the cable crooks and their pseudo science. Garden hose cables with pretty jacketing for short runs with litz wire boxes and all that nonsense....it just makes me mad even though its not my money....its being associated with such nonsense that really bothers me I suppose.
dashpuppy likes this.
lovinthehd is online now  
post #1544 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I think some of y'all should let it go that some people are "into" cables. I think its fine to point out your views on the matter, but it sometimes it seems like some are seeking out an argument.
TheNightwisher likes this.
aschen is offline  
post #1545 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I see alot of people have the same room loading issue I have: one side of the system is loaded with a wall and the other side is open or more open. Has anybody implemented any creative solutions to improve this stereo asymmetry.
aschen is offline  
post #1546 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH and Soviet Monica, CA
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
I think some of y'all should let it go that some people are "into" cables. I think its fine to point out your views on the matter, but it sometimes it seems like some are seeking out an argument.

I will be again once I get some bigger issues solved with regards to room acoustics. Then another amp is in the future then to cables.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #1547 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
A9X-308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,997
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
I see alot of people have the same room loading issue I have: one side of the system is loaded with a wall and the other side is open or more open. Has anybody implemented any creative solutions to improve this stereo asymmetry.
Yes, decades ago. It's called EQ.
A9X-308 is offline  
post #1548 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,380
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharbamar View Post
Not at all, SF Venere speakers are better suited to my taste, highs are more extended than my Ascends.
Midrange is just perfect on SF Venere, I preferred the 1.5s tweeters and really like the front ported speakers.
I will be trying SF Venere 3.0 in next few months for fair comparison, I will let you guys know.
Thanks
Have you considered any SVS SB-1000s (or any pretty small footprint sealed subs) to fill out any bottom end?

I hope one day you can audition a very refined ribbon if you haven't already. I know you really like dynamics in a tweeter, but a ribbon like the RAAL is very dynamic and is just something that needs to be heard.

I will say that these SF Venere speakers you now have are surely an eye catcher. Buy more speakers please!

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is offline  
post #1549 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH and Soviet Monica, CA
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
I see alot of people have the same room loading issue I have: one side of the system is loaded with a wall and the other side is open or more open. Has anybody implemented any creative solutions to improve this stereo asymmetry.

My system upstairs is like that where I have a LR wall on one side and then the other opens up into the dining room. I have, in this case, the Elac B6s pulled way out into the room and really don't have too much of an issue. On some recordings the sound stage extends way over into that side, but I have far more trouble with the sloped ceiling than the no wall on one side.


I think the effect is pretty cool that there is a vocalist way over in my dining room at about 120 degree to where my listening position is.


Such as this one at the 2:15min mark




Couldn't be any more obvious. Funny, that it makes everyone look over there to the left to see if its something I'm doing and I can safely say: "not me I can't sing"


Even distinctly does it on these old ribbons that I use as my desktop speakers. I don't know how they did it, intentional or accident, but it is pretty funny.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 02-16-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #1550 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH and Soviet Monica, CA
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
Yes, decades ago. It's called EQ.

How is EQ going to have anything to do with sound stage shifting over into the opening?


And in my case, luckily the center image and the soundstage between the speakers isn't affected by the opening, but the soundstage extends into that space so it's not too bothersome.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 02-16-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #1551 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Theothergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
I think some of y'all should let it go that some people are "into" cables. I think its fine to point out your views on the matter, but it sometimes it seems like some are seeking out an argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I will be again once I get some bigger issues solved with regards to room acoustics. Then another amp is in the future then to cables.
I'm a big fan of cords, cables and interconnects. But then again I'm of weak mind and have more money than sense
maxfli44 likes this.
Theothergreg is offline  
post #1552 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH and Soviet Monica, CA
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theothergreg View Post
I'm a big fan of cords, cables and interconnects. But then again I'm of weak mind and have more money than sense

I'm not back to where I was so I'm cheap. I'll do these minor mods, but I do only one at a time and then determine whether I can hear the change over multiple days and then whether the change is an improvement. Sometimes is and sometimes not.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #1553 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
Yes, decades ago. It's called EQ.
Oh EQ, that settles it thanks!


Im not sure you can completely EQ out the difference in reflections. Or if you could the implication is that you can EQ one space into another, which we know not to be true.
aschen is offline  
post #1554 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,380
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
Oh EQ, that settles it thanks!
Im not sure you can completely EQ out the difference in reflections. Or if you could the implication is that you can EQ one space into another, which we know not to be true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
How is EQ going to have anything to do with sound stage shifting over into the opening?
And in my case, luckily the center image and the soundstage between the speakers isn't affected by the opening, but the soundstage extends into that space so it's not too bothersome.
EQ is used to help gain a flatter response which is affected by the room you place the speakers in.
This is done by measuring the speakers performance in-room with the typically provided mic and running your AVR/pre/pro's Auto EQ and then adjusting the frequency response by adding or reducing the signal of a given frequency (typically done by the Auto EQ). If one channel (the left and/or right) is affected by peaks, as an example, that "speaker" reproduces a sound that will vary from the other channel. It's the job of the EQ program to tame these as best as possible because if one speaker is playing differently than the other, it's going to affect the image and soundstage/presence.

It's impossible to EQ out reflections. It's waves reflecting off walls, floors, ceilings, and everything else it can. That's why we have acoustic panels and room treatments to invest it. The panels treat the room, not the speaker. Speakers are measured in anechoic? (spelling) chambers which shouldn't have reflections. Our rooms are quite the opposite.
TheNightwisher likes this.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey

Last edited by bgtighe23; 02-16-2016 at 12:26 PM.
bgtighe23 is offline  
post #1555 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I gotcha, I know mostly how eq works, or at least as applied as a linear filter. I was being a bit of a sarcastic to the original suggestion of applying EQ to fix room asymmetry with respect to early reflections.
aschen is offline  
post #1556 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,380
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
I gotcha, I know mostly how eq works, or at least as applied as a linear filter. I was being a bit of a sarcastic to the original suggestion of applying EQ to fix room asymmetry with respect to early reflections.
If the reflection is causing a peak or dip in regards to the overall FR, then yes, the EQ software/program helps "the original suggestion of applying EQ to fix room asymmetry with respect to early reflections."

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 Towers/RBH R5Bi Front and Rear Heights
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is offline  
post #1557 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH and Soviet Monica, CA
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
EQ is used to help gain a flatter response which is affected by the room you place the speakers in.
This is done by measuring the speakers performance in-room with the typically provided mic and running your AVR/pre/pro's Auto EQ and then adjusting the frequency response by adding or reducing the signal of a given frequency (typically done by the Auto EQ). If one channel (the left and/or right) is affected by peaks, as an example, that "speaker" reproduces a sound that will vary from the other channel. It's the job of the EQ program to tame these as best as possible because if one speaker is playing differently than the other, it's going to affect the image and soundstage/presence.

It's impossible to EQ out reflections. It's waves reflecting off walls, floors, ceilings, and everything else it can. That's why we have acoustic panels and room treatments to invest it. The panels treat the room, not the speaker. Speakers are measured in anechoic? (spelling) chambers which shouldn't have reflections. Our rooms are quite the opposite.

I used equalizers back in the 70s and 80s


https://www.google.com/search?q=sae+...73fMUPCdUYM%3A


Never again. Caused more issues than they cured. Soundstage is stable and where it should be, but the soundstage does extend on some recordings over into that space such as the example I provided a few posts above. Kinda cool really.


Take a listen. It starts at min 2:15 into the cut and continues throughout the rest of the cut. In real life, it's one of the vocalists who is sitting in the first row of pews instead of on the stage. Remarkable they were able to capture that. Even works, and quite well I might add, on the bipolar ribbons on my desktop.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 02-16-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #1558 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
It's impossible to EQ out reflections. It's waves reflecting off walls, floors, ceilings, and everything else it can. That's why we have acoustic panels and room treatments to invest it. The panels treat the room, not the speaker. Speakers are measured in anechoic? (spelling) chambers which shouldn't have reflections. Our rooms are quite the opposite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
If the reflection is causing a peak or dip in regards to the overall FR, then yes, the EQ software/program helps "the original suggestion of applying EQ to fix room asymmetry with respect to early reflections."


You have contradicted yourself a bit here, though I do know your intent. The original response to my question from the other gentlemen was something like "just apply eq like we have for decades" was offbase


I thought maybe some of y'all could recommend for instance a diffusion panel at the first reflection point of the missing wall, or heavy absorption at the present wall. Or perhaps even some fancy non-linear time domain DSP or room correction I am un aware of.
aschen is offline  
post #1559 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I used equalizers back in the 70s and 80s


https://www.google.com/search?q=sae+...73fMUPCdUYM%3A


Never again. Caused more issues than they cured. Soundstage is stable and where it should be, but the soundstage does extend on some recordings over into that space such as the example I provided a few posts above. Kinda cool really.


Take a listen. It starts at min 2:15 into the cut and continues throughout the rest of the cut. In real life, it's one of the vocalists who is sitting in the first row of pews instead of on the stage. Remarkable they were able to capture that. Even works, and quite well I might add, on the bipolar ribbons on my desktop.


I don't have much expeience with modern EQ though I do have the same history and lack of enthusiasm for older analog eq. That being said modern digital domain DSP filtering is a hugely superior way to tailor the frequency response of a system. I don't have any direct experience with it but current methods certainly arnt as flawed as they once were.
aschen is offline  
post #1560 of 2096 Old 02-16-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH and Soviet Monica, CA
Posts: 1,077
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
I don't have much expeience with modern EQ though I do have the same history and lack of enthusiasm for older analog eq. That being said modern digital domain DSP filtering is a hugely superior way to tailor the frequency response of a system. I don't have any direct experience with it but current methods certainly arnt as flawed as they once were.

Mine is as 'fixed' as much I want it to be through just positioning and heavy upholstered furniture where the 'hole' is. My room issue is the sloped ceiling.
Scotth3886 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 2 Stereo Power Amplifier , Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Polk Audio Rti A9 Floorstanding Speaker , Rega , Sonus Faber , B W , Mcintosh Labs , Arcam , Denon , Vienna Acoustics , Auralex , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Marantz , Pioneer , Psb , Velodyne , Sonos , Nad , Polk Audio , Infinity



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off