post #31 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsoundman View Post

If anyone else would like to actually answer my original question, that would be great!

I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

Go on their website (Siganal Cable) for specs

How long are your cables? Can't tell their measurements without that.

Quote:

electrostatics present a 'capacitive load' thus low levels of cable capacitence is a good thing

Your cables have about the same capacitance as 12-gauge line cord. Hardly a reason to three figures for a typical pair.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #33 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

How long are your cables? Can't tell their measurements without that.

5'

Quote:

Your cables have about the same capacitance as 12-gauge line cord. Hardly a reason to three figures for a typical pair.

Didn't you read my first post ???? "well made and affordable" !!! Now if all you want is 12 gauge zip cord, knock your socks off !
post #34 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post

I did.

Yes, and Thank-You.
post #35 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have nothing to hide, just look at my profile. Here are the answers to your questions;
'Industry' = Audio/Video. Cables = No, I do not make or work for any specific factory.
NO, I'm not looking for 'sales leads' or doing 'market research'. All of my gear and the cables I use are clearly posted. I'm asking as I have already said, strictly as a two channel hobbyist.

So, in one post you claim to have spent 40 years in "the industry," and now you're just a hobbyist. Please try to keep your story straight.

Quote:

Not everyone here has a secondary agenda as you seem to think.

Not everyone does. But people who tell you one thing in one post and another thing in another post are more likely to.

Quote:

Any reason WHY you do not have your own gear and cables listed on your profile? And you accuse me of being 'dishonest'?

I hadn't accused you of being dishonest (well, until this post, obviously). I merely asked you to explain your motivation. Which seems hard for you.

And how is my not answering a question "dishonest"?

I'll make a deal with you: You explain the discrepancies in your previous posts, so that I can understand why you're asking what you're asking, and I'll tell you what cables I use and why I chose them.

post #36 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Didn't you read my first post ???? "well made and affordable" !

In my experience, bare wire is very well made.

post #37 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Still and all, I have to say your ethical bar is set lower than mine.

People thanked me on both sides, seller and buyer. I never misrepresented the cables. Now, the cable mfg's may have.
post #38 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never misrepresented the cables. Now, the cable mfg's may have.

Say it ain't so, Joe!

post #39 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In my experience, bare wire is very well made.

you're my hero !...........
post #40 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Didn't you read my first post ???? "well made and affordable" !!! Now if all you want is 12 gauge zip cord, knock your socks off !

There's a place in Seattle, WA which you can order online from, a 5' pair of well made 12 ga. speaker cable with plugs for cable ends for quarter of what you paid for 'Ultra' Signal Cable. Same function, less money.

See if you can sell yours to B&W700guy for about half the price and use that money to buy what I just suggested. You'll still end up with about $25 in your pocket.
post #41 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey...the Mitchell Brothers fought for my right to give the people what they want! And one brother killed the other to prove it!

post #42 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

First of all, This is NOT to discuss the merits of one brand vs another, hearing or NOT hearing the differences, $ VS $$$$$ in cost of what you spent on either or both, I'm a believer or NOT a believer in cable design, theory or merits. This is a GENERAL question about the overall importance of these items in your system and what motivated your purchase and Why?
No Shills, flaming, right or wrong, good or bad, its both a curiosity and an investment question about OUR members and there systems.

I use Dayton gold plated interconnects because they cost $1.55 each in the 3' length when bought 10 at a time or more. They're mechanically sound and don't raise my noise floor.

I use 8-conductor 14-gauge cable from Vafam sound in my main system (Linkwitz Orion) because it's actively tri-amplified with individual amplifier channels on each of the bass drivers and one cable with an 8 pole Speakon at the speaker end is _MUCH_ neater than four runs of zip cords. The single connector also makes it easy to move things for cleaning. There's 15' because I don't feel like making new cables the next time I move and am unlikely to use more. The cable pairs were chosen to minimize cross-talk, with the tweeter/midrange pairs in a double length having -76dB measured at 5KHz (you don't want your tweeter signal exciting midrange cone resonances). The rest are all better than -45dB. The amplifier end has generic double banana plugs with the tweeter color coded red because that reduces my changes of replacing tweeter dome assemblies if things get unplugged. About $90.

The bedroom system (Linkwitz Pluto+) has generic 14 gauge speaker cable to the sub-woofers and inside the speakers.
post #43 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

are the shells on the RCA connectors plastic or metal?
post #44 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

No deals, its pretty obvious to me the problem here is your inability to process information. My 'story' as you call it, has not changed.. What someone who works in the industry can't be a hobbyist as well? At this point I could care less what You own. Did you even bother to read my profile and stats? It's all there my friend, NOTHING hidden. So have a good life and happy listening to whatever you have. No one else seems to have a problem answering a simple post question. I'm done with your stupidity. Just reading a bunch of your previous statements in the archives, tells me all I need to know. When you 'think' you know everything, as you seem to feel you do, reality is you really don't have a clue.

Quote:

So, in one post you claim to have spent 40 years in "the industry," and now you're just a hobbyist. Please try to keep your story straight.

Not everyone does. But people who tell you one thing in one post and another thing in another post are more likely to.

I hadn't accused you of being dishonest (well, until this post, obviously). I merely asked you to explain your motivation. Which seems hard for you.

And how is my not answering a question "dishonest"?

I'll make a deal with you: You explain the discrepancies in your previous posts, so that I can understand why you're asking what you're asking, and I'll tell you what cables I use and why I chose them.

post #45 of 1116 Old 04-08-2010, 11:55 PM

Liked: 15
MY cables make this thread much more pleasant and productive.
post #46 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

NICE.. I tried to read, OK understand the attached refference.(source options) Joe Kane I
get, had the pleasure of meeting and talking with him at a number of CES
shows. Your way above my head on quite a bit of what you posted, but thanks for the 'audio' response!
See unlike certain people here, I admit when
I don't know something, and really enjoy learning when I have the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

MY cables make this thread much more pleasant and productive.

post #47 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 AM

Liked: 15
In an attempt to make this thread at least marginally useful to somebody:

Over short distances, there is very little of concern with either speaker cabling (where sufficient gauge is dirt cheap and widely available in a thousand varieties of stranded cable) or for analog audio runs (anything with reasonably low capacitance, and decent shielding is fine.).

Digital audio requires a decent 75ohm coax, again widely and cheaply available.

There is no reason at all to spend exorbitant amounts of money on any of these cables which cost cents or maybe tens of cents per foot for the cable.

Over longer distances, cabling quality becomes a much bigger concern, and where you should take care in using the best cabling possible when it is required. In those cases, stick to tried-and-true professional cables from: Belden, Canare, Mogami, etc. If you really need the best in the world, buy the best in the world. It's cheap, widely available, and every TV studio and recording studio in the world uses these cables where it is most critical.

If any cardboard-eyed mush-brained videophile can find me a better video cable than the venerable Belden 1694a (other than going to RG11) that I would have reason to spend more than 50 cents a foot for, then I'm all eyes and ears...
post #48 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Apart from a few oddball cables that connect secondary stuff like old VCRs, all the balanced and SE is Mogami or Belden with Neutrik or old Switchcraft connectors. Analogue and digital coax is Belden but I forget which. These were made by an RF engineer for me as he has the tools and I don't any more. Speaker cables are a variety of about 12ga generic stranded.

Reasons for choice were simple; good solid cables with decent specs at decent prices that will work reliably for many years.

I'm buying a couple of spools of cable for the new rack build and will choose based upon specs and cost and availability but will be Belden, Canare or Mogami. The AES leads I will get made at a broadcast supply house near here using Belden stock.
post #49 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

There's a place in Seattle, WA which you can order online from, a 5' pair of well made 12 ga. speaker cable with plugs for cable ends for quarter of what you paid for 'Ultra' Signal Cable. Same function, less money.

See if you can sell yours to B&W700guy for about half the price and use that money to buy what I just suggested. You'll still end up with about $25 in your pocket.

I assume your joking....if not then so be it. First off you have no clue what I payed for those cables.......have you ever heard of the used market ???

As an aside to the Op who started this thread, by now you realize there is a certian few individuals on this site who just love to broadcast their endless criticism and useless banter. I know it's tough to ignore them, they are like roaches ....crawling everywhere !
post #50 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

First of all, This is NOT to discuss the merits of one brand vs another, hearing or NOT hearing the differences, $ VS $$$$$ in cost of what you spent on either or both, I'm a believer or NOT a believer in cable design, theory or merits. This is a GENERAL question about the overall importance of these items in your system and what motivated your purchase and Why?
No Shills, flaming, right or wrong, good or bad, its both a curiosity and an investment question about OUR members and there systems.

lmao, so you first ask not to discuss the difference, merits, believer vs non-believer then you ask what motivated people to purchase brand X. :Confused:

You can not have one without the other

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #51 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No deals, its pretty obvious to me the problem here is your inability to process information. My 'story' as you call it, has not changed.. What someone who works in the industry can't be a hobbyist as well?

Sure, but he shouldn't describe himself as "strictly a hobbyist," unless he's trying to mislead people. And you were pretty coy about the question of what, exactly, you do in the industry. I notice that you provide a link to a home theater shop in Tucson, so I'm guessing you actually have a professional interest in the snake-oil cable business. You're not the first one around here, and I'm sure you won't be the last.

post #52 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I use what ever speaker wire goes on sale

I proudly support

http://www.parts-express.com/
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/
http://www.monoprice.com/

I have over $20K in electronics and speakers in my house, I have done DBTs for over 20 years and I have measured many products in recent years. I now I have been building speakers for a couple of years. There is just no logical reason to waste $$$ on cables when there are far greater issues with rooms and speakers. No one has perfected those so they shouldn't worrying about IC and speaker wire.

The amount of change in any of these products is exaggerated daily on here and in reality any speaker change, speaker position change, room treatments and even simple system EQing has a FAR GREATER impact then any cable will ever have!!

post #53 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Your absolutely right about that... I just have to not let 'them' get under my skin. I appreciate your response, Yes not a bad way via the 'used' market to be able to experiment with different things. Good Call.

Quote:

I assume your joking....if not then so be it. First off you have no clue what I payed for those cables.......have you ever heard of the used market ???

As an aside to the Op who started this thread, by now you realize there is a certian few individuals on this site who just love to broadcast their endless criticism and useless banter. I know it's tough to ignore them, they are like roaches ....crawling everywhere !

post #54 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

I have a very good friend who has made a lifetime working with rooms and room acoustics. He did our main sound room, which is pictured on his site. Check out his web site.
www.acousticfields.com Check out the studio pic's with the Tannoy's in it.
Which BTW have been replaced by a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's in GB.
Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

I proudly support

I have over $20K in electronics and speakers in my house, I have done DBTs for over 20 years and I have measured many products in recent years. I now I have been building speakers for a couple of years. There is just no logical reason to waste $$$ on cables when there are far greater issues with rooms and speakers. No one has perfected those so they shouldn't worrying about IC and speaker wire.

The amount of change in any of these products is exaggerated daily on here and in reality any speaker change, speaker position change, room treatments and even simple system EQing has a FAR GREATER impact then any cable will ever have!!

post #55 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the link! Im always interested in new ways of absorbing very low frequencies. I will send it off to our local AVS expert, Ethan Winer to get his input.

Tannoys are awesome. Im shocked they were replaced by Paradigm 100s, just not in the same league IMO.

post #56 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Even so, you'll still end up with about $12.50 in your pocket. Why waste money when you can get the same performance for less?

Quote:

As an aside to the Op who started this thread, by now you realize there is a certian few individuals on this site who just love to broadcast their endless criticism and useless banter.

It will seem useless to those who do not understand. Being uninformed and stubborn is a deadly combination.

Quote:

I know it's tough to ignore them, they are like roaches ....crawling everywhere !

To AV Science forum, subjectivists are considered roaches.
post #57 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

I proudly support

B&W700guy, isn't penngray parts-express, bluejeanscable & monoprice shill?
post #58 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

B&W700guy, isn't penngray parts-express, bluejeanscable & monoprice shill?

Yep but the OP asked specifically what you use , So people can shill away....

post #59 of 1116 Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Penn, you are correct. The Anti-shill alarm is turned off
post #60 of 1116 Old 04-11-2010, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Even so, you'll still end up with about $12.50 in your pocket. Why waste money when you can get the same performance for less?

You really seem concerned about finding ways to save people money. That's awfully thoughtful of you.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page