Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 378 Old 11-23-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Yes. Like any forum they send an email to validate your joining. They didn't send me the email.
More likely a software glitch somewhere than a deliberate snub. The email confirmation thing is only a tool to confirm that you are meatware. I mean, hell, they let me on, and they didn't even kick me off after i started posting!

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 378 Old 11-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My DAC came with a MASSIVE power cord, and my 200W/ch. power amp came with a power cord that looks thin compared to the one on my computer. That's not right.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #363 of 378 Old 11-23-2013, 11:30 AM

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post

My DAC came with a MASSIVE power cord, and my 200W/ch. power amp came with a power cord that looks thin compared to the one on my computer. That's not right.

Is the cord on the amplifier getting warm? I have a 18 AWG lamp cord on a space heater, the cord doesn't even get warm. Unless the cord has a high resistance there's no reason to use a thick cord. Another reason to use a thicker cord is if the manufacture thinks that cord will be exposed to a harsh environment.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
post #364 of 378 Old 11-24-2013, 01:13 AM

My best guess is that Emotiva wants their products to appeal to people who tend to buy aftermarket power cords. Makes them feel special. wink.gif

If the amp's power cord is warm, it's because the baseboard heaters came on. It's a chilly night! So far I've barely gotten the signal lights blinking, and that's been plenty loud. I'm sure the cord it came with is more than adequate, but I do wonder if the amp feels less macho. smile.gif

post #365 of 378 Old 11-25-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:

My best guess is that Emotiva wants their products to appeal to people who tend to buy aftermarket power cords. Makes them feel special. wink.gif

If the amp's power cord is warm, it's because the baseboard heaters came on. It's a chilly night! So far I've barely gotten the signal lights blinking, and that's been plenty loud. I'm sure the cord it came with is more than adequate, but I do wonder if the amp feels less macho. smile.gif

Heavy duty cords are nice to have on amplifiers because it would have to go through hell before it breaks. My Technics has a removable power cord so I don't care if the cord breaks. I might put a 16 AWG cord on it just to feel more comfortable, or get a 105 c 18 AWG cord because I'm guessing the cord gets a little warm if it's pushed hard.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
post #366 of 378 Old 11-25-2013, 01:38 PM

Both components use IEC connectors, so I can change them easily. Whenever I find my box o' IEC cords, I'll probably find one of the beefier ones to use with the amp. I have some very nice ones that came with Sun computers that should be ideal for the task.

post #367 of 378 Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Both components use IEC connectors, so I can change them easily. Whenever I find my box o' IEC cords, I'll probably find one of the beefier ones to use with the amp. I have some very nice ones that came with Sun computers that should be ideal for the task.

That's what I would do. Computers, for some odd reason, always seem to come with heavily insulated cords with ground. The only computers, that I've seen, that don't have those beefy cords are laptops. Doesn't make sense because most computers use 200W power supplies...

post #368 of 378 Old 11-25-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

Quote:

That's what I would do. Computers, for some odd reason, always seem to come with heavily insulated cords with ground. The only computers, that I've seen, that don't have those beefy cords are laptops. Doesn't make sense because most computers use 200W power supplies...

In some cases computer power cords are shielded, probably to reduce radiation from their switchmode power supplies.

I've built and repaired literally thousands of computers over the past 25 or so years and thus built up a big stash of IEC power cords. As part of the installation of a digital lighting system at church we ended up needing a lot of power cords stripped back on one end, 3 prong plug on the other. Voila, my big box of power cords and a pair of wire strippers and... Along the way I took note of the internal construction of the cords and a goodly fraction of them were shielded. I didn't notice how much thicker the shielded ones were as a rule, but some thick ones just had thicker plastic insulation.

My comments about crest factor and audio also relates to power amplifier power cords. On the test bench when they are grunting away makiig full power pure sine waves, a thick power cord will at least avoid heating up. In actual use with music the usual 16-18 guage power cord will no doubt do the job.
post #369 of 378 Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

In some cases computer power cords are shielded, probably to reduce radiation from their switchmode power supplies.

I've built and repaired literally thousands of computers over the past 25 or so years and thus built up a big stash of IEC power cords. As part of the installation of a digital lighting system at church we ended up needing a lot of power cords stripped back on one end, 3 prong plug on the other. Voila, my big box of power cords and a pair of wire strippers and... Along the way I took note of the internal construction of the cords and a goodly fraction of them were shielded. I didn't notice how much thicker the shielded ones were as a rule, but some thick ones just had thicker plastic insulation.

My comments about crest factor and audio also relates to power amplifier power cords. On the test bench when they are grunting away makiig full power pure sine waves, a thick power cord will at least avoid heating up. In actual use with music the usual 16-18 guage power cord will no doubt do the job.

I've noticed some computers these days have external power supplies. I used a Xbox 360 power cord for an interconnect for my church's sound system; it had a nice shield too, no ground though.

Behringer's inuke amplifiers are in famous for tripping 15 amp breakers and only have a 15 amp iec connector. The amplifier had it's own circuit.

post #370 of 378 Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
it had a nice shield too, no ground though.

What was the shield connected to?
post #371 of 378 Old 11-26-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

What was the shield connected to?

Nothing.

post #372 of 378 Old 11-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Ground if I remember correctly..

You just edited your post.....
post #373 of 378 Old 11-26-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:

You just edited your post.....

Ya I was thing of a normal power cord that has a ground, the Xbox's didn't. You can't connect shield to neutral or hot.

post #374 of 378 Old 11-26-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
You can't connect shield to neutral or hot.

I would hope not.
A floating shield is useless as well.
post #375 of 378 Old 11-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:

I would hope not.
A floating shield is useless as well.

I used it for an un-balanced 1/4 connector so it didn't matter. I had a friend who bought a shielded power cable without ground she claimed it made a difference rolleyes.gif I dumped her just for that biggrin.gif

I keep making typo errors today for some odd reason.

post #376 of 378 Old 11-26-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Kevin,
Quote:

I've noticed some computers these days have external power supplies.
I try to always use an external power-supply for equipment that I design. The reason is simple: UL compliance.

With an external supply, all of my design is low voltage, and I don't need UL testing. All I need to do is buy a power-supply that has UL certification already.

It also helps some with FCC compliance.
Gizmologist and Speed Daemon like this.
post #377 of 378 Old 11-27-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:

The computer power cords that I have run the gamut. But the ones that shipped with older, more power hungry data center machines (servers) often came with a far better power cord than a desktop PC. The fans alone in those old Compaqs really gobbled up power!

post #378 of 378 Old 11-27-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I sure hope not! No power supply should feed anything back into the AC line! If it does, it shouldn't be in service.

Switching power supplies, just like any RF circuit should be shielded. IME most are. Most also have EMI filters inside the chassis, and before the power supply. There shouldn't be an appreciable amount of RF on any AC power line. The EMI filters inside the gear, the EMI filters in a good power distribution system and keeping the conductors of AC cords close together should take care of that. I can see using RF shielding to keep external RF energy out of an AC cable in extraordinary situations, but not to seal it in.

Quote:
Another reason to use overrated power cords is because they do (or should) use stranded wire. Normal wear and tear will eventually cause one or more strands to break, putting the whole load on fewer strands. Since those other strands are still working, it's hard to notice until it gets really bad. Using cable with conductors a couple gauges fatter than necessary is cheap insurance against that.

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page