post #571 of 1219 Old 01-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Instead, I've ordered the Denon AH-D7000. I'm hoping they will give me the extra bass I miss with my HD600's, but in a controlled way that doesn't bleed into the mids. I expect they are brighter than the 600's, but if they are non-fatiguing I should be OK. Honestly, the 600's are about as bright as I like, but I can probably stand a bit more as long as it isn't sibilant (which by all accounts, it won't be).

I know, I should probably stop messing around and just get the HE-6 and Cavalli LF, huh sillysally?

Welcome to bass heaven. They will break in after about 20-40hrs of usage. I had plenty of listening time on them before I bought a pair and that's about the amount of time I needed for them to sound the way I remember when I first listened to my friend's D7000s. The bass will tighten up in that time frame.

Be prepared for some epic bass. If you want a comparison between them I wrote up a thing on head-fi a while ago

http://www.head-fi.org/t/561108/deno...600-comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post

To me the Denon AH-D7000 headphones are just too pricey, and I'd spend money like that on a better headphone amp.

Not one person I know paid for them at the actual MSRP. I paid $649 shipped brand new.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1219 Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

Welcome to bass heaven. They will break in after about 20-40hrs of usage. I had plenty of listening time on them before I bought a pair and that's about the amount of time I needed for them to sound the way I remember when I first listened to my friend's D7000s. The bass will tighten up in that time frame.

Be prepared for some epic bass. If you want a comparison between them I wrote up a thing on head-fi a while ago

http://www.head-fi.org/t/561108/deno...600-comparison

Not one person I know paid for them at the actual MSRP. I paid $649 shipped brand new.

Good review. I've been reading a lot of D7000 threads lately but hadn't seen yours yet, so thanks for the link.

I don't use EQ, so we'll see what I think. I just know that with a lot of my music, I really think the 600's are perfect, yet I often feel they are lacking punch, and this takes me out of the music.

I'm afraid the Denons may have too much punch, which will also pull me right out. I'll report back after plenty of burn-in and quality time.
post #573 of 1219 Old 01-25-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

sillysally and nosferatu, looks like I'm following in your footsteps...

After only few days, the HiFiMan HE-400's are going back. They are definitely darker and lusher than I care for - everything I didn't like about the HD650 and LCD-2.

Instead, I've ordered the Denon AH-D7000. I'm hoping they will give me the extra bass I miss with my HD600's, but in a controlled way that doesn't bleed into the mids. I expect they are brighter than the 600's, but if they are non-fatiguing I should be OK. Honestly, the 600's are about as bright as I like, but I can probably stand a bit more as long as it isn't sibilant (which by all accounts, it won't be).

I know, I should probably stop messing around and just get the HE-6 and Cavalli LF, huh sillysally?

Yes the LF and HE6 is a very nice combo as long as you use the High imp jack for the HE6's. The other thing is the stock tubes are very nice but a little on the bright side, so for the extra bass I would get a nos quad set of Siemens E88CC = 6922's.
When getting the HE6's request a pair of the original cloth ear pads be installed, that will help with ear fatigue and give you a larger sound-stage. Also there is no need to get a after market headphone cable for the HE6's.
The one thing that can give ear fatigue with the LCD/HE6 or Stax headphones is that they have a sealed baffle unlike most dynamic headphones.

ss
post #574 of 1219 Old 01-26-2012, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Hey all....so I've been having a lot of fun playing around with headphone gear lately. I have picked up a few entry level models from a few of the headphone companies I was most interested in - Sennheiser, Grado, and Ultrasone. I almost didn't even include Grado since I had read some forum posts by some anti-Grado folks talking about how their ears bleed when listening to anything from that product line. Well, yesterday I had my first "headphone moment", and it was with a pair of Grado SR80i's...

I've been making the comparison to when I first heard the Magnepan MMG. It's their most entry level speaker and available factory direct, so back in 2005 I took a chance on it. I fell in love immediately and seven years later I am enjoying some Magnepan 3.6s as my main speakers (both music and movies). Well I figured if I can find a lower end model from one of these companies that just connects with me, chances are good that their higher end models will be more of a good thing. Well, let's just say that I really have my eyes on a pair of Grado PS500s!

If anyone out there is looking for a great pair of phones for around $100, I strongly recommend trying out the SR80i's. There are a lot of folks who just don't connect with the Grado house sound, but they also have a very large, loyal following, too. I can now say that I count myself among them and I can't wait to put them back on my ears again soon!

Happy LIstening!
post #575 of 1219 Old 01-26-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Hey all....so I've been having a lot of fun playing around with headphone gear lately. I have picked up a few entry level models from a few of the headphone companies I was most interested in - Sennheiser, Grado, and Ultrasone. I almost didn't even include Grado since I had read some forum posts by some anti-Grado folks talking about how their ears bleed when listening to anything from that product line. Well, yesterday I had my first "headphone moment", and it was with a pair of Grado SR80i's...

Since you're talking "entry level" why did you choose the $99 Grado SR80i over the $79 Grado SR60i?

Both get excellent owner reviews on amazon.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #576 of 1219 Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since you're talking "entry level" why did you choose the $99 Grado SR80i over the $79 Grado SR60i?

Well, basically just because $99 was sort of the sweet spot. No particular reason aside from that. I have heard that the SR60i is fantastic, as well. I was comparing it to some Sennheiser 518s that I had purchased in November, which were around $119, so seemed like the closest comparison. I had found that I enjoyed the sound of my little Etymotic MC5 IEMs better than the Senns, so I was a bit discouraged by that. I wanted to try something else in a headphone, and that led me to the Grados.
post #577 of 1219 Old 01-27-2012, 11:49 AM

I'm looking to get a nice headphone setup to play from my Macbook Pro. I've bee really getting into classical music a lot lately so I'll be playing a lot of that but I'll also be playing some rock.

I was thinking about a Benchmark DAC-1 Pre as my DAC and amp and AKG K702 headphones. Is this a good setup for the type of music I'll be listening to, or is there a better combo out there for similar money?

Also, what about a portable DAC/amp and in-ears for the gym? I want something that I can use when on a stationary bike and possibly something small enough that'll fit in my pocket when I'm lifting weights.
post #578 of 1219 Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Well, basically just because $99 was sort of the sweet spot. No particular reason aside from that. I have heard that the SR60i is fantastic, as well. I was comparing it to some Sennheiser 518s that I had purchased in November, which were around $119, so seemed like the closest comparison. I had found that I enjoyed the sound of my little Etymotic MC5 IEMs better than the Senns, so I was a bit discouraged by that. I wanted to try something else in a headphone, and that led me to the Grados.

FWIW yesterday I took an extended look through the amazon "owner" reviews of both the Grado SR80i and SR60i headphones.

And decided not to go there.

For one thing they seem suspect on comfort and being too fragile.

For another thing I've already got plenty of lower cost headphones, and 3 that are mid to high-end headphones which are more comfortable and less fragile than the 60i/80i Grado's seem to be.

Nonetheless Grado headphones have a clear following and I don't know of any way to sort that out short of owning a pair of them.

Anyhow Sennheiser HD595; not truly high-end but somewhat expensive and which are ultra comfortable and which I can wear for many hours. My preferred choice when PC gaming.

And true high-end Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 headphones for listening to CD music via computer. Still slowly bending the adjustable metal head bands to make them more comfortable.

The one recent useful idea I've gotten here is from Nosferatu who commented on having split preferrence of dynamic headphone preference (Denon D7000 vs Sennheiser HD600) depending on the source material.

Meaning that there no perfect headphone and that headphone choice also depends on what you are listening to!

A new idea for me but one that rings true to me.

I still think that my next buy will be for a much better headphone amp/DAC/pre combo.

Expanding my "best places" to find useful info on headphones from amazon reviews I now include 2) www.stereophile.com pro reviewer reviews

e.g. one of the stereophile reviewers that I have some respect for panned an expensive Stax electrostat headphone set as not being balanced enough for him, and that rang true for me.

Meaning that dynamic headphones are likely the current best balance.

But then I've never even tried an electrostat headphone like any of the Stax headphones.

Please post what you think of Grado SR80i headphones after you've used them for a week+

Thanks in advance.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #579 of 1219 Old 01-27-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please post what you think of Grado SR80i headphones after you've used them for a week+

Thanks in advance.

Sure will. Right now I"m at work and I've been playing with a pair of Ultrasone hfi15g cans. They were right around $80 or so on Amazon. So far I like them with some of the (very little) club/house type music that I enjoy (DeadMau5's new album 4x4=12), but with other types of music they are not even close to the SR80i phones - at least to my ears. I don't find the Grados as bright as others do (although I've heard that the 325i's are the ones that you have to watch out for in terms of that), and I love the way vocals sound on them. On the Ultrasones, vocals are a bit more recessed, but I like the thump in the low end.

With the Grados I feel like I'm in a room where live music is playing as opposed to being in a room with headphones on. The sound is very airy and open and they also seem very transparent to my ears, as I'm getting a wide range of quality in terms of the recording. Others don't like that, but I do. Lousy recordings should sound lousy, IMO..and when that is true, it's usually also true that better recordings will sound really damn good.

Additionally, with the Ultrasones it almost seems like there is something separating the music from my ears, although it is very slight. It's not this drastic, but it's akin to feeling as though the music is in the NEXT room as opposed to the room I'm in.

So far I have about 15-20 hrs on the Grados and about 5-8 with the Ultrasones. I can't say I've noticed any sort of break-in effect, as both sounded pretty good out of the box. I'll chime in again next week and let you know if anything changed with my views, but as of today the Grados are still easily the king of my lower end headphones and the PS500s have a great big red target on their back
post #580 of 1219 Old 01-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

FWIW yesterday I took an extended look through the amazon "owner" reviews of both the Grado SR80i and SR60i headphones.

For another thing I've already got plenty of lower cost headphones, and 3 that are mid to high-end headphones which are more comfortable and less fragile than the 60i/80i Grado's seem to be.

Nonetheless Grado headphones have a clear following and I don't know of any way to sort that out short of owning a pair of them.

Funny you mention the SR-80s those were my first "audiophile" headphone (I still own them). Loved them when I used them but they are definitely entry level (still amazing compared to most similarly priced).

As for comfort, you "get used to them" after a while but can be hurtful as the cups press on your ear. You could get away with an hour, maybe 2, but after that your ears will start to hurt.

As for durability, after 3 years of ownership I broke them. The cord is really thick but the rest of it's design for durability is debatable (ironically since the cord is what I broke on mine). Simply put, I had my foot on the cord and decided to stand up quickly...SNAP! Instantly I got no sound from either driver. They collected dust and that's when I bought my HD595s. I was about to throw out the Grados a month later and voila sound came back...albeit with some distortion and cutting out of sound in the right channel unless I wiggle the cord.

Quote:

Anyhow Sennheiser HD595; not truly high-end but somewhat expensive and which are ultra comfortable and which I can wear for many hours. My preferred choice when PC gaming.

I agree on comfort as I upgraded to these from the SR80s but if I could do it again I would have just jumped to the HD600s.

Quote:

The one recent useful idea I've gotten here is from Nosferatu who commented on having split preferrence of dynamic headphone preference (Denon D7000 vs Sennheiser HD600) depending on the source material.

Glad I could help.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #581 of 1219 Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Long time Grado owner here, started with SR125s and moved up to the RS1i a couple of years ago. My son now owns the 125s and they are still in great shape as are the RS1is. I don't get the all the negativism on comfort. I put them on and they just seem to physically disappear when I have them on. I've worn them for hours with absolutely no discomfort. Maybe they jut fit my head right. I've tried plushier headphones and they do feel different but they don't seem to disappear like the Grados do when wearing them.

The only way to figure out if the will work for you is to find a way to try them.

Darcy
post #582 of 1219 Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyb62 View Post

Long time Grado owner here, started with SR125s and moved up to the RS1i a couple of years ago. My son now owns the 125s and they are still in great shape as are the RS1is. I don't get the all the negativism on comfort. I put them on and they just seem to physically disappear when I have them on. I've worn them for hours with absolutely no discomfort. Maybe they jut fit my head right. I've tried plushier headphones and they do feel different but they don't seem to disappear like the Grados do when wearing them.

The only way to figure out if the will work for you is to find a way to try them.

Darcy

Well said. I totally agree about the comfort thing, and it's just another solid example of why it's so great that we have many products to choose from to suit our preferences. In November I picked up a pair of Sennheiser 518s. Just an entry level phone but will really solid reviews. In fact, I think HeadRoom has it rated as one of their top 10 overall (in terms of the priceerformace ratio). I enjoyed listening to them when I was watching "The Pacific" on my laptop, and aside from a reallly bloated low end I felt they were ok. I just didn't find myself using them all that often, and that's due in part because it was like wearing really thick earmuffs and I hated how hot it made my head.

That was certainly one of the biggest contrasts when I first put the Grado 80i's on my head last week. They are very light and comfortable, and they don't press on my ears in the slightest. The Ultrasones I have here are the same way. They both just very lightly press against my ears and both are very light and comfortable to wear. But others will feel the exact opposite about the Grados vs Senns that I have.
post #583 of 1219 Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I just received a pair of the new Sennheiser RS 220 headphones: these are wireless and boast uncompressed audio

My other headphones are Sennheiser HD800's (wired)

The RS 220's are surprisingly good for a wireless headphone: virtually noise free and exceptional sound quality: range is quite good and not limited to line of sight. They claim they are based on the HD600 / HD650 headphones.

The charge base has digital and analog inputs

Worth a try if you have given up on wireless headphones as I had

(my opinion only)
post #584 of 1219 Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I just received a pair of the new Sennheiser RS 220 headphones: these are wireless and boast uncompressed audio

My other headphones are Sennheiser HD800's (wired)

The RS 220's are surprisingly good for a wireless headphone: virtually noise free and exceptional sound quality: range is quite good and not limited to line of sight. They claim they are based on the HD600 / HD650 headphones.

The charge base has digital and analog inputs

Worth a try if you have given up on wireless headphones as I had

(my opinion only)

I have RS 160s and the 220s seem like a substantial upgrade in terms of the convenience of the charging/base and range.

There are 3 things about my RS 160s that irritate me:

(1) Closed ear headphones get moist inside if I wear them for a while.
(2) Range is limited
(3) I have to touch a button on both the headphones and the base in order to activate the link.

Item 2 seems well-addressed by the 220s. What about the other two points?
post #585 of 1219 Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I have RS 160s and the 220s seem like a substantial upgrade in terms of the convenience of the charging/base and range.

(2) Range is limited
(3) I have to touch a button on both the headphones and the base in order to activate the link.

as far as number 1, I notice the same thing: the felt type material seems cheap and does not breathe: that seems to be my biggest gripe so far

re number 3, I will check that
post #586 of 1219 Old 02-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

(2) Range is limited

what I see re #3:

from off, you have to turn on both the base and the phones

after that, if you turn off the phones, the base remains in standby: the green power light blinks: press and hold the phones power switch to reactivate the link without having to go back to the base
post #587 of 1219 Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone using a DigiZoid Zo2? I needed a 2nd portable amp, and supposedly this one is a great little amplifier with the bass enhancement technology that so many people are talking about. I don't even like to buy products with tone controls, let alone USE them, but the online demos of this gadget are really cool!
post #588 of 1219 Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 AM

What's a good pair of headphones in the 100-150$ range? I have a 5.1 system they will be used for movies and music
post #589 of 1219 Old 02-03-2012, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanskie View Post

What's a good pair of headphones in the 100-150$ range? I have a 5.1 system they will be used for movies and music

There are lots of choices in that range...I recently bought some Grado SR80is and have fallen in love with them.

I've also heard lots of great things about the V-Moda Crossfade LP...Ultrasone HFI 580s...Audio Technica ATH-M50s...and the Sennheiser 518s.

If you have any interest in IEMs, I have some Etymotic HF-5s that are really good, and then the Brainwawz and Ultimate Ears lines are also highly regarded.
post #590 of 1219 Old 02-03-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:

what I see re #3:

from off, you have to turn on both the base and the phones

after that, if you turn off the phones, the base remains in standby: the green power light blinks: press and hold the phones power switch to reactivate the link without having to go back to the base

IME the RS 160's base station eventually times out if the source is turned off for part of a day or overnight.

My RS160 base station is plugged in and powered all of the time but the audio source upstream (TV) gets power cycled. The DAC that the TV drives is always on.

Every morning I have to press both buttons to bring the system to life. I generally recharge the phones overnight, so it is possible that the base station is making decisions based on that.

On the positive side, the battery life of the phones is excellent and better than the analog predecessors - on the order of 24 operational hours. The rechargeable batteries are standard AAA lithium Ion batteries which facilitates having a backup pair charged and ready to go should one get a little forgetful.
post #591 of 1219 Old 02-03-2012, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

from the manual (which is on a CD)

"If the transmitter doesn't receive an audio signal for more than a minute, it switches, depending on settings, to either standby mode or loop through mode

If the transmitter receives an audio signal within the next 10 minutes, it automatically switches on again"

I also read the ear pads are removable/ replaceable so hopefully there will be other types available. These phones provide a high degree of isolation from ambient nosie

Last night I spent 3 hours listening to CD's from an Olive 06HD music server: these are keepers for me: very pleased
post #592 of 1219 Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last night I spent 3 hours listening to CD's from an Olive 06HD music server: these are keepers for me: very pleased

Those are very nice, Mark. Do they have any streaming/wireless capabilities or are they strictly for wired connections? I've been watching those evolve over the past five years or so and they've always piqued my interest. Just never pulled the trigger.
post #593 of 1219 Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I purchased the Klipsch Mode M40 headphones and really like them. My wife liked them so much she hijacked my pair and I ordered another M40 for myself. After owning for a couple of weeks they have broken in nicely. Clear highs mids and Bass is sounding good. My only other pair of phones was Shure I believe they are the 340s and in ear. Compared to those the Klipsch sound a whole lot better. The noise Cancelling works good and you can use with that on or off by a battery. The M40s are iPod/iPad compatible which is nice for volume/pause features. I can wear these phones for hours on end. I use mostly with iPod/iPad but have hooked up directly to my A100 and they like the extra power of the receiver but listening with a portable or wired directly sounds excellent. I use also with noise Cancelling on more than off. Give these new Klipsch headphones a try. They look great also. http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/...jpg?1328224518

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #594 of 1219 Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Those are very nice, Mark. Do they have any streaming/wireless capabilities or are they strictly for wired connections? I've been watching those evolve over the past five years or so and they've always piqued my interest. Just never pulled the trigger.

strictly wired to the base: then 2.4 Ghz wireless to the phones

these are the first wireless headphones that send uncompressed audio that I have tested: highly recommended
post #595 of 1219 Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

strictly wired to the base: then 2.4 Ghz wireless to the phones

these are the first wireless headphones that send uncompressed audio that I have tested: highly recommended

Very nice...I saw a video review of them on youtube from CES and the guy was raving about them.
post #596 of 1219 Old 02-03-2012, 08:51 PM

Are Klipsch Image One good headphones ? Seen them on sale for 99$.
post #597 of 1219 Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Have not used the image 1 phones. The 99$ tag seems to be a good price though. I just did a web search for reviews and they seem to be favorable in regards to the image 1.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #598 of 1219 Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll get them.
post #599 of 1219 Old 02-04-2012, 07:25 AM

Got the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's this week. 50% off , I got them for EUR150.
Great IEM's.
post #600 of 1219 Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC4TUNE View Post

Got the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's this week. 50% off , I got them for EUR150.
Great IEM's.

I've been waiting for the next time those go on sale...I have some Etymotics, but heard the UE Triple Fis are even better.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

Tags
Nuforce , Akg K702 65th Anniversary Edition , Sennheiser , Sennheiser Hd 600 Open Dynamic Hi Fi Professional Stereo Headphones Black , Audio Technica Ath Ad900 Audiophile Open Air Dynamic Headphones , Oppo Bdp 83se Blu Ray Player , Hifiman He 6 Headphones , Grado Rs1i , Yamaha Rx V1800 Receiver , Sony Mdr7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone , Sennheiser Hd 650 Headphones , Sennheiser Hd 558 Headphones , Grado Prestige Series Sr80i Stereo Headphone , Sennheiser Hd800 Over Ear Circum Aural Dynamic Premiere Headphone
Gear in this thread - V1800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page