AVS Forum banner
163K views 1K replies 186 participants last post by  Joe Gunawan 
#1 ·
Well, I've been haunting the "What gaming headphones to buy?" thread. The only problem, many of the people there have gone to strictly from Gaming setup to more 2 channel and then Audiophile setups. So here I am. This is what I currently own, and what I have planned.... What are your setups?

Own:

Source:

Dell Studio XPS 435MT

iPod 5.5G running RockBox for FLAC support

Dac:

NuForce uDac

Amp:

Little Dot I+ (Stock - for now)

Astro MixAmp

Fiio E5

Headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm (going under re-cable shortly)

Turtle Beach HPX (for Gaming, LOVE THEM)!

Grado SR-80i ( Modified )

Sennheiser HD428 (in the mail)

Sennheiser CX-250 (Maybe they'll go under the knife)

Headphones being acquired:

AKG K701 or K702 (of course, to be modded)

Future:

I will eventually migrate away from my computer as a listening station and get a stand along setup where I will get me a Crazy comfy chair, a very nice tube amp setup (and hopefully Electrostatics).

See less See more
#563 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally /forum/post/21504582

Ahh I guess you have never heard of a SVS Realiser.

Anyway with the headphones you are talking about (I have them) even with a Realiser you are not going to get the layering that you are talking about. It is for that reason why I don't use my HD800's or K701's.

imo for the layering effect and sound-stage you need to go with a higher end Stax headphone and Electrostatic Amp, or a HE6/LCD3 with a higher end amp like a Liquid Fire amp. The only problem with these high end headphones and amp's is that they will only be as good as your weakest link in your audio chain.

I have heard of the Realiser. I've never heard it but there's no reason to doubt that it performs as claimed. I don't listen to headphones often enough to ever consider investing in such a cumbersome and complex system though - my home theater does music very well for me.

Binaural recordings are another example of a means to theoretically recreate 3D space with headphones, although in my experience, it doesn't seem to be as effective as it should be.

But both of these are somewhat off the point. I think that headphones don't have to recreate reality in order to be enjoyable and sound good. I like them just the way they are. Sometimes I am aware that the sound is inside my skull, but after a few minutes, I get absorbed in the music and I forget to notice any flaws. The brain is remarkable in it's ability to fill in the missing pieces and just hear the music.

Oh yes, I am still really interested in hearing the HE-6 with the Cavalli LF. We're having a meet this weekend with a good turnout expected, and I expect to sample the HE-6 and LCD-3. I'm also interested in the HE-500, which may be more to my liking since I do like a little bump in the bass. I'm not convinced that I ever need to own a high-end setup - they sound wonderful with pristine recordings, but they also tend to reveal flaws in the source and pull me out of the music and cause me to critique the sound instead of enjoy the music.

I love my HD 600's and think they are almost perfect for me, although I love the idea of owning a planar driver headphone. The LCD-2 is just too dark for my tastes but maybe the HE-500 will be more to my liking? Did I mention that I visited Smeggy a few weeks ago and auditioned a few pairs of Thunderpants he had on-hand? They sound wonderful to me, although the closed design did have the slightest hint of boxiness in vocals on some tracks.

I pre-ordered a pair of HE-400's and they're on a truck heading my way right now...

#564 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/21504776

... but you might be able to feel below 20hz.

Not through headphones.

#565 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish /forum/post/21506505

I have heard of the Realiser. I've never heard it but there's no reason to doubt that it performs as claimed. I don't listen to headphones often enough to ever consider investing in such a cumbersome and complex system though - my home theater does music very well for me.

Binaural recordings are another example of a means to theoretically recreate 3D space with headphones, although in my experience, it doesn't seem to be as effective as it should be.

But both of these are somewhat off the point. I think that headphones don't have to recreate reality in order to be enjoyable and sound good. I like them just the way they are. Sometimes I am aware that the sound is inside my skull, but after a few minutes, I get absorbed in the music and I forget to notice any flaws. The brain is remarkable in it's ability to fill in the missing pieces and just hear the music.

Oh yes, I am still really interested in hearing the HE-6 with the Cavalli LF. We're having a meet this weekend with a good turnout expected, and I expect to sample the HE-6 and LCD-3. I'm also interested in the HE-500, which may be more to my liking since I do like a little bump in the bass. I'm not convinced that I ever need to own a high-end setup - they sound wonderful with pristine recordings, but they also tend to reveal flaws in the source and pull me out of the music and cause me to critique the sound instead of enjoy the music.

I love my HD 600's and think they are almost perfect for me, although I love the idea of owning a planar driver headphone. The LCD-2 is just too dark for my tastes but maybe the HE-500 will be more to my liking? Did I mention that I visited Smeggy a few weeks ago and auditioned a few pairs of Thunderpants he had on-hand? They sound wonderful to me, although the closed design did have the slightest hint of boxiness in vocals on some tracks.

I pre-ordered a pair of HE-400's and they're on a truck heading my way right now...

So you think the LCD2 sounds darker than the HD600/HD650?

Looking at some FR plots I was a bit afraid of that, it looks similar but smoother up to like I think 8kHz or something but then it seemed to totally noise dive away. It risky to go by those plots since what they show and how our brain interprets things what they show is a complex mapping and I've also seen some plots taken of different pairs that appeared to show significant differences.

I think I will just stick with the Senns and not bother to audition LCD2. Maybe if I become more rich I will audition the LCD3 or Stax 009 one day

Maybe I'll try an LCD2 some time just to give it a shot, maybe get a slightly brighter than normal pair, who knows. Not for now though.

#566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 /forum/post/21507053

So you think the LCD2 sounds darker than the HD600/HD650?

Looking at some FR plots I was a bit afraid of that, it looks similar but smoother up to like I think 8kHz or something but then it seemed to totally noise dive away. It risky to go by those plots since what they show and how our brain interprets things what they show is a complex mapping and I've also seen some plots taken of different pairs that appeared to show significant differences.

I think I will just stick with the Senns and not bother to audition LCD2. Maybe if I become more rich I will audition the LCD3 or Stax 009 one day

Maybe I'll try an LCD2 some time just to give it a shot, maybe get a slightly brighter than normal pair, who knows. Not for now though.

No. I think the LCD-2 (Rev 2) is definitely darker than the 600, but not the 650.

I never lump the 600 and 650 together because I think they sound quite different. The 650 is dark and liquid, while to my ears, the 600 is significantly brighter. The 600 has much of that same smooth liquid refinement, but it's leaner and tighter than the 650.

At least, that's how I hear them...

#567 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu /forum/post/21504666

I own the HD600s with an Audio-GD FUN

My friend owns the HD650s with a Benchmark DAC PRE 1

My friend also owned and returned an AKG 701.

We agree in order of preference HD600 > HD650 >>>>> AKG 701.

The midrange on the HD600 is just amazing.

As for the other guy mentioning the LCD2 and Stax 009. I've listened to both. LCD2 I'm not a fan of. I'm more in line with the slightly colored Denon AH-D7000 instead. The LCD2 may be more accurate but to just sit down and listen for enjoyment the AH-D7000 is better.

If money wasn't an object it's Stax 009 all the way. Just simply a wonderful time auditioning these with everything from classical to trance/rap (yes I know...
)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/21504770

I've a refurbed pair of HD600s on the way, hopefully showing up this week.

I'm running a small Nuforce ICON HDP desktop all-in-one DAC/pre/headphone-amp...

I got my Sennheiser HD600 headphones yesterday and gave them a good listen today.

I agree with your assessment (above) that the HD600 sounds slightly better than my HD650 headphones. Most noticeable with high quality stereo recordings that have bell type sounds, as my experience is that transient bell sounds are hardest to get right.

Cord is similar on each and roughly 115"; some practical measurement differences:

HD600: my cord weights 61.5 gm (on an Ohaus triple beam scale); HD600 without cord weights 256.6 gm.

HD650: my cord weights 83.5 gm (on the same Ohaus triple beam scale); HD650 without cord weights 259.5 gm.

#568 ·
sillysally and nosferatu, looks like I'm following in your footsteps...

After only few days, the HiFiMan HE-400's are going back. They are definitely darker and lusher than I care for - everything I didn't like about the HD650 and LCD-2.

Instead, I've ordered the Denon AH-D7000. I'm hoping they will give me the extra bass I miss with my HD600's, but in a controlled way that doesn't bleed into the mids. I expect they are brighter than the 600's, but if they are non-fatiguing I should be OK. Honestly, the 600's are about as bright as I like, but I can probably stand a bit more as long as it isn't sibilant (which by all accounts, it won't be).

I know, I should probably stop messing around and just get the HE-6 and Cavalli LF, huh sillysally?

#569 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish /forum/post/21544154

After only few days, the HiFiMan HE-400's are going back. They are definitely darker and lusher than I care for - everything I didn't like about the HD650 and LCD-2.

Instead, I've ordered the Denon AH-D7000. I'm hoping they will give me the extra bass I miss with my HD600's, but in a controlled way that doesn't bleed into the mids. I expect they are brighter than the 600's, but if they are non-fatiguing I should be OK. Honestly, the 600's are about as bright as I like, but I can probably stand a bit more as long as it isn't sibilant (which by all accounts, it won't be).

I know, I should probably stop messing around and just get the HE-6 and Cavalli LF, huh sillysally?

Agreed that the Sennheiser HD600 headphones have some brightness.

But the headphone amp you use is also a key factor when it comes to brightness.

What headphone amp do you use?

To me the Denon AH-D7000 headphones are just too pricey, and I'd spend money like that on a better headphone amp.

Assuming you do get the Denon AH-D7000 headphones, I hope you like them.

#570 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/21544279

Agreed that the Sennheiser HD600 headphones have some brightness.

But the headphone amp you use is also a key factor when it comes to brightness.

What headphone amp do you use?

To me the Denon AH-D7000 headphones are just too pricey, and I'd spend money like that on a better headphone amp.

Assuming you do get the Denon AH-D7000 headphones, I hope you like them.

I have a Peachtree Audio Nova that I use primarily as a DAC and integrated headphone amp.

Not too pricey - and I definitely am getting them. Ordered them today for $575.

#571 ·

Quote:

Welcome to bass heaven. They will break in after about 20-40hrs of usage. I had plenty of listening time on them before I bought a pair and that's about the amount of time I needed for them to sound the way I remember when I first listened to my friend's D7000s. The bass will tighten up in that time frame.

Be prepared for some epic bass. If you want a comparison between them I wrote up a thing on head-fi a while ago

http://www.head-fi.org/t/561108/deno...600-comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/21544279

Not one person I know paid for them at the actual MSRP. I paid $649 shipped brand new.

#572 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu /forum/post/21544560

Welcome to bass heaven. They will break in after about 20-40hrs of usage. I had plenty of listening time on them before I bought a pair and that's about the amount of time I needed for them to sound the way I remember when I first listened to my friend's D7000s. The bass will tighten up in that time frame.

Be prepared for some epic bass. If you want a comparison between them I wrote up a thing on head-fi a while ago

http://www.head-fi.org/t/561108/deno...600-comparison

Not one person I know paid for them at the actual MSRP. I paid $649 shipped brand new.

Good review. I've been reading a lot of D7000 threads lately but hadn't seen yours yet, so thanks for the link.

I don't use EQ, so we'll see what I think. I just know that with a lot of my music, I really think the 600's are perfect, yet I often feel they are lacking punch, and this takes me out of the music.

I'm afraid the Denons may have too much punch, which will also pull me right out. I'll report back after plenty of burn-in and quality time.

#573 ·

Quote:

Yes the LF and HE6 is a very nice combo as long as you use the High imp jack for the HE6's. The other thing is the stock tubes are very nice but a little on the bright side, so for the extra bass I would get a nos quad set of Siemens E88CC = 6922's.

When getting the HE6's request a pair of the original cloth ear pads be installed, that will help with ear fatigue and give you a larger sound-stage. Also there is no need to get a after market headphone cable for the HE6's.

The one thing that can give ear fatigue with the LCD/HE6 or Stax headphones is that they have a sealed baffle unlike most dynamic headphones.

ss

#574 ·
Hey all....so I've been having a lot of fun playing around with headphone gear lately. I have picked up a few entry level models from a few of the headphone companies I was most interested in - Sennheiser, Grado, and Ultrasone. I almost didn't even include Grado since I had read some forum posts by some anti-Grado folks talking about how their ears bleed when listening to anything from that product line. Well, yesterday I had my first "headphone moment", and it was with a pair of Grado SR80i's...

I've been making the comparison to when I first heard the Magnepan MMG. It's their most entry level speaker and available factory direct, so back in 2005 I took a chance on it. I fell in love immediately and seven years later I am enjoying some Magnepan 3.6s as my main speakers (both music and movies). Well I figured if I can find a lower end model from one of these companies that just connects with me, chances are good that their higher end models will be more of a good thing. Well, let's just say that I really have my eyes on a pair of Grado PS500s!

If anyone out there is looking for a great pair of phones for around $100, I strongly recommend trying out the SR80i's. There are a lot of folks who just don't connect with the Grado house sound, but they also have a very large, loyal following, too. I can now say that I count myself among them and I can't wait to put them back on my ears again soon!

Happy LIstening!

#575 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa /forum/post/21550436

Hey all....so I've been having a lot of fun playing around with headphone gear lately. I have picked up a few entry level models from a few of the headphone companies I was most interested in - Sennheiser, Grado, and Ultrasone. I almost didn't even include Grado since I had read some forum posts by some anti-Grado folks talking about how their ears bleed when listening to anything from that product line. Well, yesterday I had my first "headphone moment", and it was with a pair of Grado SR80i's...

Since you're talking "entry level" why did you choose the $99 Grado SR80i over the $79 Grado SR60i?

Both get excellent owner reviews on amazon.

#576 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/21550695

Since you're talking "entry level" why did you choose the $99 Grado SR80i over the $79 Grado SR60i?

Well, basically just because $99 was sort of the sweet spot. No particular reason aside from that. I have heard that the SR60i is fantastic, as well. I was comparing it to some Sennheiser 518s that I had purchased in November, which were around $119, so seemed like the closest comparison. I had found that I enjoyed the sound of my little Etymotic MC5 IEMs better than the Senns, so I was a bit discouraged by that. I wanted to try something else in a headphone, and that led me to the Grados.

#577 ·
I'm looking to get a nice headphone setup to play from my Macbook Pro. I've bee really getting into classical music a lot lately so I'll be playing a lot of that but I'll also be playing some rock.

I was thinking about a Benchmark DAC-1 Pre as my DAC and amp and AKG K702 headphones. Is this a good setup for the type of music I'll be listening to, or is there a better combo out there for similar money?

Also, what about a portable DAC/amp and in-ears for the gym? I want something that I can use when on a stationary bike and possibly something small enough that'll fit in my pocket when I'm lifting weights.

#578 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/21550695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa /forum/post/21550753

Well, basically just because $99 was sort of the sweet spot. No particular reason aside from that. I have heard that the SR60i is fantastic, as well. I was comparing it to some Sennheiser 518s that I had purchased in November, which were around $119, so seemed like the closest comparison. I had found that I enjoyed the sound of my little Etymotic MC5 IEMs better than the Senns, so I was a bit discouraged by that. I wanted to try something else in a headphone, and that led me to the Grados.

FWIW yesterday I took an extended look through the amazon "owner" reviews of both the Grado SR80i and SR60i headphones.

And decided not to go there.

For one thing they seem suspect on comfort and being too fragile.

For another thing I've already got plenty of lower cost headphones, and 3 that are mid to high-end headphones which are more comfortable and less fragile than the 60i/80i Grado's seem to be.

Nonetheless Grado headphones have a clear following and I don't know of any way to sort that out short of owning a pair of them.

Anyhow Sennheiser HD595; not truly high-end but somewhat expensive and which are ultra comfortable and which I can wear for many hours. My preferred choice when PC gaming.

And true high-end Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 headphones for listening to CD music via computer. Still slowly bending the adjustable metal head bands to make them more comfortable.

The one recent useful idea I've gotten here is from Nosferatu who commented on having split preferrence of dynamic headphone preference (Denon D7000 vs Sennheiser HD600) depending on the source material.

Meaning that there no perfect headphone and that headphone choice also depends on what you are listening to!

A new idea for me but one that rings true to me.

I still think that my next buy will be for a much better headphone amp/DAC/pre combo.

Expanding my "best places" to find useful info on headphones from amazon reviews I now include 2) www.stereophile.com pro reviewer reviews

e.g. one of the stereophile reviewers that I have some respect for panned an expensive Stax electrostat headphone set as not being balanced enough for him, and that rang true for me.

Meaning that dynamic headphones are likely the current best balance.

But then I've never even tried an electrostat headphone like any of the Stax headphones.

Please post what you think of Grado SR80i headphones after you've used them for a week+

Thanks in advance.

#579 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/21558129

Please post what you think of Grado SR80i headphones after you've used them for a week+

Thanks in advance.

Sure will. Right now I"m at work and I've been playing with a pair of Ultrasone hfi15g cans. They were right around $80 or so on Amazon. So far I like them with some of the (very little) club/house type music that I enjoy (DeadMau5's new album 4x4=12), but with other types of music they are not even close to the SR80i phones - at least to my ears. I don't find the Grados as bright as others do (although I've heard that the 325i's are the ones that you have to watch out for in terms of that), and I love the way vocals sound on them. On the Ultrasones, vocals are a bit more recessed, but I like the thump in the low end.

With the Grados I feel like I'm in a room where live music is playing as opposed to being in a room with headphones on. The sound is very airy and open and they also seem very transparent to my ears, as I'm getting a wide range of quality in terms of the recording. Others don't like that, but I do. Lousy recordings should sound lousy, IMO..and when that is true, it's usually also true that better recordings will sound really damn good.

Additionally, with the Ultrasones it almost seems like there is something separating the music from my ears, although it is very slight. It's not this drastic, but it's akin to feeling as though the music is in the NEXT room as opposed to the room I'm in.

So far I have about 15-20 hrs on the Grados and about 5-8 with the Ultrasones. I can't say I've noticed any sort of break-in effect, as both sounded pretty good out of the box. I'll chime in again next week and let you know if anything changed with my views, but as of today the Grados are still easily the king of my lower end headphones and the PS500s have a great big red target on their back

#580 ·

Quote:

FWIW yesterday I took an extended look through the amazon "owner" reviews of both the Grado SR80i and SR60i headphones.

For another thing I've already got plenty of lower cost headphones, and 3 that are mid to high-end headphones which are more comfortable and less fragile than the 60i/80i Grado's seem to be.

Nonetheless Grado headphones have a clear following and I don't know of any way to sort that out short of owning a pair of them.

Funny you mention the SR-80s those were my first "audiophile" headphone (I still own them). Loved them when I used them but they are definitely entry level (still amazing compared to most similarly priced).

As for comfort, you "get used to them" after a while but can be hurtful as the cups press on your ear. You could get away with an hour, maybe 2, but after that your ears will start to hurt.

As for durability, after 3 years of ownership I broke them. The cord is really thick but the rest of it's design for durability is debatable (ironically since the cord is what I broke on mine). Simply put, I had my foot on the cord and decided to stand up quickly...SNAP! Instantly I got no sound from either driver. They collected dust and that's when I bought my HD595s. I was about to throw out the Grados a month later and voila sound came back...albeit with some distortion and cutting out of sound in the right channel unless I wiggle the cord.

Quote:

Anyhow Sennheiser HD595; not truly high-end but somewhat expensive and which are ultra comfortable and which I can wear for many hours. My preferred choice when PC gaming.

I agree on comfort as I upgraded to these from the SR80s but if I could do it again I would have just jumped to the HD600s.

Quote:

The one recent useful idea I've gotten here is from Nosferatu who commented on having split preferrence of dynamic headphone preference (Denon D7000 vs Sennheiser HD600) depending on the source material.

Glad I could help.

#581 ·

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Long time Grado owner here, started with SR125s and moved up to the RS1i a couple of years ago. My son now owns the 125s and they are still in great shape as are the RS1is. I don't get the all the negativism on comfort. I put them on and they just seem to physically disappear when I have them on. I've worn them for hours with absolutely no discomfort. Maybe they jut fit my head right. I've tried plushier headphones and they do feel different but they don't seem to disappear like the Grados do when wearing them.

The only way to figure out if the will work for you is to find a way to try them.

Darcy

#582 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyb62 /forum/post/21561253

Long time Grado owner here, started with SR125s and moved up to the RS1i a couple of years ago. My son now owns the 125s and they are still in great shape as are the RS1is. I don't get the all the negativism on comfort. I put them on and they just seem to physically disappear when I have them on. I've worn them for hours with absolutely no discomfort. Maybe they jut fit my head right. I've tried plushier headphones and they do feel different but they don't seem to disappear like the Grados do when wearing them.

The only way to figure out if the will work for you is to find a way to try them.

Darcy

Well said. I totally agree about the comfort thing, and it's just another solid example of why it's so great that we have many products to choose from to suit our preferences. In November I picked up a pair of Sennheiser 518s. Just an entry level phone but will really solid reviews. In fact, I think HeadRoom has it rated as one of their top 10 overall (in terms of the price
erformace ratio). I enjoyed listening to them when I was watching "The Pacific" on my laptop, and aside from a reallly bloated low end I felt they were ok. I just didn't find myself using them all that often, and that's due in part because it was like wearing really thick earmuffs and I hated how hot it made my head.

That was certainly one of the biggest contrasts when I first put the Grado 80i's on my head last week. They are very light and comfortable, and they don't press on my ears in the slightest. The Ultrasones I have here are the same way. They both just very lightly press against my ears and both are very light and comfortable to wear. But others will feel the exact opposite about the Grados vs Senns that I have.

#583 ·
I just received a pair of the new Sennheiser RS 220 headphones: these are wireless and boast uncompressed audio

My other headphones are Sennheiser HD800's (wired)

The RS 220's are surprisingly good for a wireless headphone: virtually noise free and exceptional sound quality: range is quite good and not limited to line of sight. They claim they are based on the HD600 / HD650 headphones.

The charge base has digital and analog inputs

Worth a try if you have given up on wireless headphones as I had

(my opinion only)

#584 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/21585319

I just received a pair of the new Sennheiser RS 220 headphones: these are wireless and boast uncompressed audio

My other headphones are Sennheiser HD800's (wired)

The RS 220's are surprisingly good for a wireless headphone: virtually noise free and exceptional sound quality: range is quite good and not limited to line of sight. They claim they are based on the HD600 / HD650 headphones.

The charge base has digital and analog inputs

Worth a try if you have given up on wireless headphones as I had

(my opinion only)

I have RS 160s and the 220s seem like a substantial upgrade in terms of the convenience of the charging/base and range.

There are 3 things about my RS 160s that irritate me:

(1) Closed ear headphones get moist inside if I wear them for a while.

(2) Range is limited

(3) I have to touch a button on both the headphones and the base in order to activate the link.

Item 2 seems well-addressed by the 220s. What about the other two points?

#585 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk /forum/post/21586576

I have RS 160s and the 220s seem like a substantial upgrade in terms of the convenience of the charging/base and range.

(2) Range is limited

(3) I have to touch a button on both the headphones and the base in order to activate the link.

as far as number 1, I notice the same thing: the felt type material seems cheap and does not breathe: that seems to be my biggest gripe so far

re number 3, I will check that

#586 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk /forum/post/21586576

(2) Range is limited

what I see re #3:

from off, you have to turn on both the base and the phones

after that, if you turn off the phones, the base remains in standby: the green power light blinks: press and hold the phones power switch to reactivate the link without having to go back to the base

#587 ·
Anyone using a DigiZoid Zo2? I needed a 2nd portable amp, and supposedly this one is a great little amplifier with the bass enhancement technology that so many people are talking about. I don't even like to buy products with tone controls, let alone USE them, but the online demos of this gadget are really cool!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.