AVS Forum banner
163K views 1K replies 186 participants last post by  Joe Gunawan 
#1 ·
Well, I've been haunting the "What gaming headphones to buy?" thread. The only problem, many of the people there have gone to strictly from Gaming setup to more 2 channel and then Audiophile setups. So here I am. This is what I currently own, and what I have planned.... What are your setups?

Own:

Source:

Dell Studio XPS 435MT

iPod 5.5G running RockBox for FLAC support

Dac:

NuForce uDac

Amp:

Little Dot I+ (Stock - for now)

Astro MixAmp

Fiio E5

Headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm (going under re-cable shortly)

Turtle Beach HPX (for Gaming, LOVE THEM)!

Grado SR-80i ( Modified )

Sennheiser HD428 (in the mail)

Sennheiser CX-250 (Maybe they'll go under the knife)

Headphones being acquired:

AKG K701 or K702 (of course, to be modded)

Future:

I will eventually migrate away from my computer as a listening station and get a stand along setup where I will get me a Crazy comfy chair, a very nice tube amp setup (and hopefully Electrostatics).

See less See more
#613 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roark /forum/post/21606845

Hi, I was wondering if you are getting that amp primarily for the Grado Sr80's? The reason I ask is I am considering SR60 or SR80 and one of the things I read was that SR80 needs an amp much more than SR60 which is fine without too. I have no idea if this true though. Do you feel the SR80's really need an amp and would benefit largely with one? Thanks.

And I have a more general question about headphone amps. Are most headphone amps significantly better than using the headphone of a receiver? And if they are does that usually include the less expensive headphone amps too? Or is using a receiver for a headphone amp fine? Thanks again.

1.) Grado SR-80s do not need an amp. I played around with my old set and in my amp/dac vs a simple phone / laptop it's really not a significant difference at all.

2.) Depends on the receiver to be honest. Most cases an amp/dac dedicated will be better. I find my current receiver has a decent headphone output compared to my other hardware and past AVR. Then again, it was a $1000 AVR.

#614 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa /forum/post/21607589

Well, as you can probably tell from my earlier posts, I connected big time with the Grados and as of today my plans are to move into a PS500.

If these PS500 are Grado, that's a *big* 6x step up (money) from the Grado SR80i headphones that you just got.

The Grado PS500 gets 6 solid 5 star reviews from owners on amazon as well as some followup comments on various ear replacement pads to try (Grado and other). Be sure to read that.

I'll look for your post comparing the PS500 to the SR80i.

#615 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/21609083

If these PS500 are Grado, that's a *big* 6x step up (money) from the Grado SR80i headphones that you just got.

The Grado PS500 gets 6 solid 5 star reviews from owners on amazon as well as some followup comments on various ear replacement pads to try (Grado and other). Be sure to read that.

I'll look for your post comparing the PS500 to the SR80i.

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping
I've been drooling over the 500s when I read these reviews on them...I've been following the feedback on them over at head-fi.org and I have yet to read a negative comment about them. I've also had a few email exchanges with Grado over the past week or so, something I like to do in order to get a feel for how responsive a company is, and I've really been happy with their feedback and help.

I'll definitely post some thoughts when I get hold of em

#616 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa /forum/post/21610381

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping
I've been drooling over the 500s when I read these reviews on them...I've been following the feedback on them over at head-fi.org and I have yet to read a negative comment about them. I've also had a few email exchanges with Grado over the past week or so, something I like to do in order to get a feel for how responsive a company is, and I've really been happy with their feedback and help.

I'll definitely post some thoughts when I get hold of em

I auditioned the PS500's a few months ago and thought they sounded great. Would have purchased them, but for me, the "on ear" headphones just weren't comfortable long term. That's personal fit issue, so if you aren't bothered by your current Grado phones, it probably won't be an issue.

I ended up buying the PS-1000's - no complaints

They pair very nicely with a Woo Audio 6SE - the combination has me listening to more two channel music than I have in a long time. I'm sure the PS-500's will do the same for you!

#617 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma /forum/post/21610746

I auditioned the PS500's a few months ago and thought they sounded great. Would have purchased them, but for me, the "on ear" headphones just weren't comfortable long term. That's personal fit issue, so if you aren't bothered by your current Grado phones, it probably won't be an issue.

I ended up buying the PS-1000's - no complaints

They pair very nicely with a Woo Audio 6SE - the combination has me listening to more two channel music than I have in a long time. I'm sure the PS-500's will do the same for you!

Pardon me while I finish wiping up my drool...

A Woo 6 with the PS1000s? Wow...I can't even imagine how amazingly beautiful your music must be sounding right now!

I know what you mean about listening more often than before. I've always had some pair of cheap headphones or ear buds around, but rarely, if ever, used them. But since getting more involved with this area of the hobby and especially after discovering Grados, I find myself really getting excited about my listening sessions.

Jack Woo builds some AMAZING looking amps, and although I have yet to have the pleasure of hearing one, I can imagine they are spectacular. How do you like the Grados with tubes? Have you used other amps prior to the Woo 6?

PS. I see you're in Philly...no wonder why you have such excellent taste in audio
Proud Temple U grad here...I miss Philly!!

#618 ·
Wow- I drool over the Grado PS series!

I have yet to try a Woo amp, but it's on my bucket list.

To try to answer someone's question, I have a pair of SR-125's and the iGrado's. While it's great that all Grados can be driven easily, I notice an improvement even with these "budget" headphones when driven by even an inexpensive amp-as opposed to directly from a laptop, etc.

I do love my RS1's!

http://theenthusiastblog.com/2012/02...1i-headphones/

#619 ·
I love hearing from other Grado owners!

The thing I've noticed with the Grado folks is that they tend to keep their Grado cans around longer than most of their other phones. A lot of people in this hobby obviously play around with different headphones from time to time, but it seems like people tend to keep their Grados. I'm sure I will be the same way. I could easily sell my SR80is right now and have an extra few bucks toward the 500s, but I love them too much to sell them.

And I agree about the amp, Chip...I have a little Fiio E11 amp that I paid like $60 for and I LOVE it. The Grados sound more than fine when I drive them with just my iPhone or iPod, but I prefer to use the Fiio with them. I always thought Fiio was "cheap" in terms of quality, but I've revised my opinion. They are inexpensive, but not "cheap" at all. I love how I get over 12 hrs of battery life and that it charges via the USB.

I never really used to use my computer for watching tv, but now that they have past episodes online for streaming, I tend to use the laptop to get caught up here and there. I watched "Touch" on the Fox website a few days ago with the Grados and I couldn't believe how amazing it sounded. Dialog was crystal clear, sound effects were amazing, and I felt like I heard every little detail of the soundtrack. It was just a very impressive experience and I can't wait to do it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76 /forum/post/21613858

Wow- I drool over the Grado PS series!

I have yet to try a Woo amp, but it's on my bucket list.

To try to answer someone's question, I have a pair of SR-125's and the iGrado's. While it's great that all Grados can be driven easily, I notice an improvement even with these "budget" headphones when driven by even an inexpensive amp-as opposed to directly from a laptop, etc.

I do love my RS1's!

http://theenthusiastblog.com/2012/02...1i-headphones/

#620 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa /forum/post/21612771

Pardon me while I finish wiping up my drool...

A Woo 6 with the PS1000s? Wow...I can't even imagine how amazingly beautiful your music must be sounding right now!

I know what you mean about listening more often than before. I've always had some pair of cheap headphones or ear buds around, but rarely, if ever, used them. But since getting more involved with this area of the hobby and especially after discovering Grados, I find myself really getting excited about my listening sessions.

Jack Woo builds some AMAZING looking amps, and although I have yet to have the pleasure of hearing one, I can imagine they are spectacular. How do you like the Grados with tubes? Have you used other amps prior to the Woo 6?

PS. I see you're in Philly...no wonder why you have such excellent taste in audio
Proud Temple U grad here...I miss Philly!!

Music sounds kinda OK with the PS-1000's and Woo amp

I listened to the 1000's through a few other amps, though not long enough to be able to provide any decent opinion of how they would compare to the 6SE. That said, I'm not looking for anything to replace the 6SE and probably won't be for a long time. I did spend several weeks using my AVR's headphone amp while waiting for the Woo and subjectively, the Woo does make a difference in the level of detail and overall sound character - whether it's the different amp or the change to tubes I can't say, but very much like the results.

I'm going to borrow a good solid state amp for a weekend - interested to see how it compares.

Let me know what you think of the 500's when they arrive, and if you're back in Philly, bring em by and see how they sound through the 6SE.

#621 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma /forum/post/21614365

I listened to the 1000's through a few other amps, though not long enough to be able to provide any decent opinion of how they would compare to the 6SE. That said, I'm not looking for anything to replace the 6SE and probably won't be for a long time. I did spend several weeks using my AVR's headphone amp while waiting for the Woo and subjectively, the Woo does make a difference in the level of detail and overall sound character - whether it's the different amp or the change to tubes I can't say, but very much like the results.

I'm going to borrow a good solid state amp for a weekend - interested to see how it compares.

Let me know what you think of the 500's when they arrive, and if you're back in Philly, bring em by and see how they sound through the 6SE.

You should borrow a SS amp. The Woo's are amazing, but from all accounts and times I've listened, the Grado lineup just doesn't take as well to tubes as to SS. Senn's and Woos are a match made in heaven however.

The musical fidelity m1-hpa is a fantastic SS for the Grado 1000s, it was what I heard them on.

#622 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 /forum/post/21614541

You should borrow a SS amp. The Woo's are amazing, but from all accounts and times I've listened, the Grado lineup just doesn't take as well to tubes as to SS. Senn's and Woos are a match made in heaven however.

The musical fidelity m1-hpa is a fantastic SS for the Grado 1000s, it was what I heard them on.

I've heard the same regarding solid state and Grado, although reading through the PS-1000 thread on head-fi, it seems like the PS series may be more "tube friendly" than the other Grado lines.

My whole plan around the 1000's and the Woo was to avoid upgradeitis. Never thought about the possibility of having multiple amps though

There goes the wallet again....

#623 ·

Quote:

Tube amps (OTL) have very low damping factors due to their high output impedance. That's why they don't work well with low impedance headphones.

Senns and Beyers are a much better choice with them.

#624 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma /forum/post/21614365

Hey, I'm always looking for an excuse to get back to Philly! Too bad SEPTA doesn't reach all the way down here to Georgia! lol

#625 ·

Quote:

Nice home theater setup!

I read you have the same problem as I do, the wife and late night viewing.

After looking into the sound proofing, I came to the conclusion that it can't be done at least for a reasonably cost, and maybe not at all.

imo I have found the solution to this problem. I got a Smyth Realiser and went to AIX sound studios and got copy's (PRIR's) of there 5.1/7.1 room acoustics and speaker systems for the Realiser. The only time I use my 7.1 speaker system is when there is more than me viewing, that's how good the Realiser is for well mastered Blu Ray movies.

My headphone/Realiser system.

Oppo BDP-95>Realiser>W4S DAC>Stax SRM-727 amp>Stax SR-009 headphones. For well mastered MCH home theater audio it doesn't get much better.

#626 ·
I read an article about that Smyth Realiser not long ago...that is one of the coolest concepts I've ever seen! If I didn't love Maggies for HT, I would strongly consider a headphone rig for movies. Hell, I've become completely infatuated just watching movies and tv shows on my laptop with my Grado SR80is...if I get this much enjoyment from that, I can only imagine how amazing your set up must be with the Realiser and the Stax cans!

#628 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanskie /forum/post/21619311

I just recently purchased Klipsch Image One headphone . I'm having an issue with sound when I use an extension cord, it's really bad, but when I plug in direct it's great. Just wondering if I can use an extension cord with these phones?

I've never ever used headphones (I've used dozens and dozens over the past 50 years) that were affected by a good headphone extension cord, but I've had a ton of broken headphone extension cords.

If you have the ability and equipment you can check the cord with an ohm meter and if you can solder you can put on a new connector (cords usually break around the connectors and most connectors are permanently attached and can't be re-attached).

Otherwise, try a different cord.

#629 ·
How many have heard the new Klipsch Mode40 noise Cancelling headphones? I have never heard of Grado before this thread. I do have a 15' Grado extension hooked up to my Denon A100 receiver. I have to say I am enjoying the Klipsch Mode 40s right now. Just wondering if anyone has compared the M40s to Grado and what I am missing? I know the Klipschs just came out so probably no comparison between the 2 as of yet but figured I would ask anyway.

#630 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold /forum/post/21632729

How many have heard the new Klipsch Mode40 noise Cancelling headphones? I have never heard of Grado before this thread. I do have a 15' Grado extension hooked up to my Denon A100 receiver. I have to say I am enjoying the Klipsch Mode 40s right now. Just wondering if anyone has compared the M40s to Grado and what I am missing? I know the Klipschs just came out so probably no comparison between the 2 as of yet but figured I would ask anyway.

Wow, those Mode 40s are COOL looking! Wish I could be of help, but I've yet to hear anything from the Klipsch line.

I just ordered a pair of BeyerDynamic DT880s to play around with. I am madly in love with my Grados, but before I spend big money on a higher end version, I want to play around a bit more and hear a few other options.

I also just picked up a Digizoid ZO, which is a really neat little device. If you search on youtube you can see some demo videos that sort of give an idea of what it does. I've been using it with my Etymotic IEMs and the sound has been fantastic.

Let us know more about the Klipsch once you spend more time with them!

#631 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold /forum/post/21632729

It's going to be difficult to really compare the Mode40's with non noise cancelling headphones - kind of different goals/sounds. I did try the Mode40's -while they were the best sounding noise cancelling phones I've heard, they clamped much too hard for me to get comfortable with. Head clamp force is personal though, so it may not be an issue for others.

#632 ·
Thanks Summa and bfreedma. So in your opinion non noise Cancelling is better at music? I do notice I like the little bit more of the Bass and fullness of the M40s sound w/noise Cancelling engaged. Summa I will check out those devices also, thanks. I listened to the Klipsch last night for probably a few hours straight hooked directly to my Denon A100 and the Klipsch are breaking in nicely to my ears they sound great. Thanks for the replies

#633 ·
Hello everyone!

So i flirted with the idea of an external DAC/Amp combo for my computers, then i decided to just buy new sound cards to not have more stuff lying around.

Then i realized i have my PC connected to the AVR, would i better off upgrading from the HK146 entry level model to something newer from Denon or Pioneer instead of upgrading the sound card in the PC? I will probably do both in the end, but which one should come first? Doesn't the AVR have its own Dac/Amp? I know my phones sound better when i connect them to the HK.

Also no Creative, i don't buy from them anymore!

#634 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas /forum/post/21642409

Hello everyone!

So i flirted with the idea of an external DAC/Amp combo for my computers, then i decided to just buy new sound cards to not have more stuff lying around.

Then i realized i have my PC connected to the AVR, would i better off upgrading from the HK146 entry level model to something newer from Denon or Pioneer instead of upgrading the sound card in the PC? I will probably do both in the end, but which one should come first? Doesn't the AVR have its own Dac/Amp? I know my phones sound better when i connect them to the HK.

Also no Creative, i don't buy from them anymore!

I suppose it depends on where you do the most listening. If at your computer, then upgrade the soundcard. If from the AVR (which, presumably is also connected to other equipment you might want to use with headphones), then upgrade the AVR.

Yes, newer mid to upper-end AVR's have excellent DACs built in (but questionable headphone amps). I don't know anything about soundcards, sorry.

#635 ·
Just wanted to chime in with some feedback on the Atrio FutureSonics M5...these are the newer offering with the highly regarded mg7 driver. They retail for $199 but there is a coupon that is going around head-fi for half off, which I took advantage of. As happy as I am with my Etymotics, these are a significant upgrade, especially when I put the Comply tips on them. This is my first experience with really good sound from an IEM and I'm pretty blown away by it. I've been listening to one of my Eva Cassidy albums tonight and wow does she sound amazing. These are some really nice IEMs!

Tomorrow I'm expecting some BeyerDynamic DT880s to show up, so I'm going to have fun comparing them to the Grado SR80is that I'm so fond of. Not exactly a fair competition considering the price difference, but still...

If only my headphone amp would show up...I have no real way to power the BeyerDs until it does.

#636 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa /forum/post/21647517

Just wanted to chime in with some feedback on the Atrio FutureSonics M5...these are the newer offering with the highly regarded mg7 driver. They retail for $199 but there is a coupon that is going around head-fi for half off, which I took advantage of. As happy as I am with my Etymotics, these are a significant upgrade, especially when I put the Comply tips on them. This is my first experience with really good sound from an IEM and I'm pretty blown away by it. I've been listening to one of my Eva Cassidy albums tonight and wow does she sound amazing. These are some really nice IEMs!

Tomorrow I'm expecting some BeyerDynamic DT880s to show up, so I'm going to have fun comparing them to the Grado SR80is that I'm so fond of. Not exactly a fair competition considering the price difference, but still...

If only my headphone amp would show up...I have no real way to power the BeyerDs until it does.

Hi Summa & others,

I was curious as to how you would compare the Atrio and Etymotic to the Grado SR80's? I know they are totally different styles and I am guessing you prefer the SR80's but just wondering how you think they match up.

I would love to use IEM's but so far I have not been able to and basically have given up. I just can't seem to get a seal properly and I find them very uncomfortable. Has anyone else had that problem? And if so was there any one iem that finally solved it for you in terms of comfort? I have only tried very inexpensive iem's so far as I only wanted to see if I could use them before spending more on much better sound but is there a large difference in comfort from say a less than $30 iem and a 100-150 iem? And do things like the comply tips make a large difference?

I am still planning to get the Grado SR80i or 60i but am leaning towards the 80. I was concerned those would need an amp but I think most felt they did not. I use a Sony Walkman now and I see on Amazon an inexpensive line out cable for it the Filo L5 which is like $12. If that was used with a Filo E6 amp which is like $28 would that combination make a large difference in sound quality compared to the Walkman alone?

Thanks.

#637 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 /forum/post/19079462

I have an all Audio-gd setup for my headphone and speaker rig. People over on Head-fi are gaga over their products for good reason. Give them a look. They are based in China and sell direct.

And before anyone jumps to conclusions about direct from China gear, read up on them and their owner Kingwa. Doubt you'll find better response and service.

Yes, I'm a fanboy (no boy at 42 though).

Kingwa is THE KING of DACs and headphone amps. His gear and designs are the BEST on the PLANET. Seriously that guy has DACs for under a grand the take on DACs costing many many times the price.

He sells truly "HIGH-END" gear at very very very reasonable prices.

The NFB-10SE is a JEWL...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.