post #91 of 1211 Old 06-05-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin CZ View Post

Since the last time I posted, I have since bought and sold the JVC HA-S700 which looks and sounds like the Bose AE, but for 1/5th the price. I liked them a lot for the price but didn't need them.

I also traded my DT880s for the K701s, and I am utterly in love with them.

Couldn't the HA-S700 serve as portable 'phones? I'm still investigating portable phones... as I don't have any. I picked up a pair of Sentry IEMs just because they're cheap and I just wanted something to listen to the iPod with when I walk around (while still looking for my perfect portable phone... ), and I wish I didn't waste my $5.

I'm not with the Crazies, They just like to stand next to me!

Headphone Audiophiles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1211 Old 06-06-2010, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by SID3W8Z View Post

So, now... after listening to all these headphones in their different configurations. Listening to the different genres, it's easy to see they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. I really enjoyed them all. I definitely enjoyed the AKG K702 much more than I thought I would. They were EXCELLENT for gaming! So, your wondering. Which one would I put my hard earned money on? Well, very hard question. I have realized, that I'm a Grado guy through and through. So, I'm going to be looking into going up the Grado ladder instead of going towards either the K702 or the HD600 for music. Not knocking those two headphones because they are phenomenal! The synergy the Grados have with my Amp can't be denied. They sound utterly amazing! So, it's time to either save up for a higher end Grado, or for a better Amp to do the other headphones proper justice in the future. I want to thank PJ for allowing me this opportunity. You have some AWESOME headphones there buddy!

SID3W8Z

I am glad your Western Electric 408A are working out, it sounds to me that they are new or nos tubes so now you know how to tell if the tubes you buy are new or used.

Don't feel bad about your WE 408A not glowing. I just got a matched pair of NOS WE300B date code 5626 (2nd week in June 1956) on both tubes and they don't glow much but using them as power tubes along with my matched pair NOS TS 6SN7GT CTL round plates 08/1942 as drive tubes in my amp there is nothing lacking.

What you may want to do is go to a head-fi meet and try out some real audiophile headphones and amps along with a good source. So far you have barley scratch the surface.

ss
post #93 of 1211 Old 06-06-2010, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I am glad your Western Electric 408A are working out, it sounds to me that they are new or nos tubes so now you know how to tell if the tubes you buy are new or used.

Don't feel bad about your WE 408A not glowing. I just got a matched pair of NOS WE300B date code 5626 (2nd week in June 1956) on both tubes and they don't glow much but using them as power tubes along with my matched pair NOS TS 6SN7GT CTL round plates 08/1942 as drive tubes in my amp there is nothing lacking.

What you may want to do is go to a head-fi meet and try out some real audiophile headphones and amps along with a good source. So far you have barley scratch the surface.

ss

I'm not sure what you mean about telling if the tubes were used or not. Originally, I put the tubes in without properly setting up my amp for them (and I thought I burnt them out). I put them aside for a while... and then rolled my amp and tried them 1 more time before buying a replacement set.... and they worked, and glowed (just not much). I would like to mod my amp to put an LED near the base of the tubes to get them to light blue.... but I'm sure I'd break something.

YES, I definitely want to go to a Head-Fi meet! I haven't seen any in my area, but I haven't fully investigated either. I'm thinking now, that I'd need a good SS amp and Tube amp to fulfill my needs as the K702 sound better coming off of the uDac than they do off of the LD I+. I'm probably going to get the K702 anyway, as I really like how they sound for gaming. I just don't know what tubes (and OpAmp) would work best with them. Unfortunately, I was told my current setup was their sweet spot... but it's the sweet spot for the Grados and not the K702. O'well... here's to learning the hard way.

Headphone Audiophiles
post #94 of 1211 Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=SID3W8Z;18737125]
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean about telling if the tubes were used or not. Originally, I put the tubes in without properly setting up my amp for them (and I thought I burnt them out). I put them aside for a while... and then rolled my amp and tried them 1 more time before buying a replacement set.... and they worked, and glowed (just not much). I would like to mod my amp to put an LED near the base of the tubes to get them to light blue.... but I'm sure I'd break something.

All I meant was they don't glow much. But don't go by how pretty they are go by the sound.

Quote:

YES, I definitely want to go to a Head-Fi meet! I haven't seen any in my area, but I haven't fully investigated either. I'm thinking now, that I'd need a good SS amp and Tube amp to fulfill my needs as the K702 sound better coming off of the uDac than they do off of the LD I+. I'm probably going to get the K702 anyway, as I really like how they sound for gaming. I just don't know what tubes (and OpAmp) would work best with them. Unfortunately, I was told my current setup was their sweet spot... but it's the sweet spot for the Grados and not the K702. O'well... here's to learning the hard way.

The K702 are a much higher rated headphone and it has been said that the K702s are somewhat like the HD-800s. I think you would be happier with a tube amp and the K702 than a SS amp. You may find a SS amp too bright with the K702s.
I have a pair of Grados 325i and a pair of K701 if you want I will try my K701s on my amp, just let me know what you are looking for out of the K702s that you are not getting now.
You are learning now but with the amp you have you will never get 100% out of your K702s, I know about Little Dots a good starter amp but that's about it.
My first amp was a LD MKIVSE, so please understand I was where you were once upon a time.

ss
post #95 of 1211 Old 06-06-2010, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a pair of Grados 325i and a pair of K701 if you want I will try my K701s on my amp, just let me know what you are looking for out of the K702s that you are not getting now.
You are learning now but with the amp you have you will never get 100% out of your K702s, I know about Little Dots a good starter amp but that's about it.
My first amp was a LD MKIVSE, so please understand I was where you were once upon a time.

ss

Totally understood. I just started this hobby and it's awesome (and probably my most expensive one to date). I guess what I'm looking for out of the K702 is good clean sound with nice sound stage and not representation. Gentle note decay (not dropping off sharply) with tight bass (doesn't need to be ear tickling loud, but definitely go deep for those stand up bass guitars). I find the OFC Cable works wonders on the K702 off of an SS amp, but too much with my tube amp (and it's current setup). I like the LD I+ for my desktop setup. I'll get a 'real' amp and 'source' when I do my stand alone setup (and I have more money).

Headphone Audiophiles
post #96 of 1211 Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Hello All,
I read the Sterophile review on the Little Dot Mk III and purchased it along with 701s, and HD 600s. I also bought a Beresford TC-7520 USB DAC. I have to say just with the stock tubes that came with my LD, the sound is amazing. I never thought that a sound stage coming from headphones could project so DEEP and WIDE I am now officially hooked! I have also been using the LD with my OPPO 83se via the analog outs. Sounds incredible! I have a question regarding the USB cable to my laptop. Does a better USB cable (Kimber) make a difference in the sound quality? I have just been searching the WEB for tube rolling and have purchased all the recommended brands. I cant wait to compare them
post #97 of 1211 Old 06-09-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post

Hello All,
I read the Sterophile review on the Little Dot Mk III and purchased it along with 701s, and HD 600s. I also bought a Beresford TC-7520 USB DAC. I have to say just with the stock tubes that came with my LD, the sound is amazing. I never thought that a sound stage coming from headphones could project so DEEP and WIDE I am now officially hooked! I have also been using the LD with my OPPO 83se via the analog outs. Sounds incredible! I have a question regarding the USB cable to my laptop. Does a better USB cable (Kimber) make a difference in the sound quality? I have just been searching the WEB for tube rolling and have purchased all the recommended brands. I cant wait to compare them

Nice! Let me know what you come up with for tubes. I have the Little Dot I+, and I purchased what was recommended too. Western Electric 408A tubes and an LT1364 OpAmp. I was less than excited. I think the synergy with my Grados sound Sooo much better than they did with the K702 that was lent to me (with Stock Cable, SWZ Gaming Cable, and OCC Copper Cable). Still looking though.

Headphone Audiophiles
post #98 of 1211 Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Well,
I just got the GE 5 stars and am currently breaking them in. It has been about 4 hrs, and already these things blow the stock tubes away. I will keep you posted. The soundsatge and detail increased about 50% already and I have only had them for 4 hrs!
post #99 of 1211 Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well,
I just got the GE 5 stars and am currently breaking them in. It has been about 4 hrs, and already these things blow the stock tubes away. I will keep you posted. The soundsatge and detail increased about 50% already and I have only had them for 4 hrs!

what type of tube is the GE 5 stars? Size?

Headphone Audiophiles
post #100 of 1211 Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

what type of tube is the GE 5 stars? Size?

It is a driver tube 5654. E95 type. Sounds Amazing
post #101 of 1211 Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is a driver tube 5654. E95 type. Sounds Amazing

E95, Darn... I can only use an EF91/EF92.

Headphone Audiophiles
post #102 of 1211 Old 06-12-2010, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Since last time, I have sold my DT770 Pro 80s, and with the money, I bought:

Audio Technica ES7
Creative Aurvana Live!

These two fit two needs. Late night phone (CAL!), and portable phone (ES7). I miss the 770 pro 80s, but I didn't find much use for them anymore.

I have also ordered the Fiio E7 DAC/AMP, and a Sansa Clip+ as my PMP.

Quote:

Couldn't the HA-S700 serve as portable 'phones? I'm still investigating portable phones... as I don't have any. I picked up a pair of Sentry IEMs just because they're cheap and I just wanted something to listen to the iPod with when I walk around (while still looking for my perfect portable phone... ), and I wish I didn't waste my $5.

Yeah, they're VERY portable. I actually really loved them, but they were still too big for my tastes... I doesn't look like any circumaurals fit my criteria, wich is why I went with the ES7...now I have to bear with some pain...
post #103 of 1211 Old 06-13-2010, 11:57 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

I love this hobby, because you never catch the leprechaun at the end of the rainbow, which is, the perfect sound.. When I get my inheritance money I will get either the HD800 or 010.. I promised myself I would get myself a ultra hi end or statement type headphone before I die.. I still want the original 1937 DT48 as well.. Then I can die happy. I will spend 5,000 on my 'ultimate' set up.. I already have the source, the oppo.. Still need to get it modded.. But life through me a curve ball & my dog needed 4 teeth pulled.. Was litterally a life & death situation.. The infection was so bad, one of her eyes was almost shut.. & she has a heart murmer.. They needed to put her under.. & much as I love audio, I'd easily give it all up for my dog..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #104 of 1211 Old 06-13-2010, 12:00 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's my final listen and then I will make my choice on headphone. I've finally put my Little Dot I+ Hybrid amplifier in the audio chain. This is a very nice little amp that is utilizing 2x Western Electric 408A (matched) tubes and a Linear Technology LT1364 OpAmp.

Final Setup goes like this:
Dell Studio XPS 435MT → iTunes ALAC → USB → NuForce uDac → Little Dot I+ → Headphone

Songs: Colbie Caillat I won't, Coldplay Clocks, Diana Krall Broadway, All Night Long, Diane Schuur Caught a Touch of your love, and Bach's Cello suite No.1 (from YouTube unfortunately).

HD600 (OCC Cable): Detailed, smoother than previously heard. Very enjoyable and fuller sound. It seems they now have the power to perform as they should. These sound fantastic for Jazz, and Diana Kralls voice sounds fantastic. The bass guitars, cymbals, piano... all very inviting and smooth. I really like how these perform.

K702 (OCC Cable): Played Bach first, and I can immediately hear and feel the larger soundstage. Where the HD600 gave me nice full music... the K702 gave me the detail. The HD600 sounded like I was in a Jazz club, the K702... as if I was at the Phil Harmonic. Different presentations, but both very enjoyable. Great presentation in general.

K702 (SWZ Gaming Cable): Smooth sound. Good punch to the bass. Less detail compared to the OCC Cable. With a tube amp, OCC Cable. With a Solid State Amp, the SWZ Cable sounds better to me.

SWZ SR-80i (modded): Wow, Go GRADOS! This is what I was talking about! First song I tried was Bach's Cello... and the Grados sounded FANTASTIC! BIG Soundstage, Clean, pronounced and IN YOUR FACE sound! They must have perfect synergy with the OFC Cable, W.E. 408A tubes and the LT1364 OpAmp. These took the cake for Bach! Colbie Caillat sounded great too. Her voice carried through nice and clear. Coldplay was nicely delivered. Diana Krall's Broadway sound was great. The stand up bass guitar plucks were tight and felt. Piano and cymbals were quite crisp. I love these headphones! There is a portion in the song where the drummer is sliding a brush across the snare drums. This is almost lost in the HD600, you can hear it on the K702 with the OCC cable (not so much with the SWZ cable). The Grados do it the best justice though.

So, now... after listening to all these headphones in their different configurations. Listening to the different genres, it's easy to see they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. I really enjoyed them all. I definitely enjoyed the AKG K702 much more than I thought I would. They were EXCELLENT for gaming! So, your wondering. Which one would I put my hard earned money on? Well, very hard question. I have realized, that I'm a Grado guy through and through. So, I'm going to be looking into going up the Grado ladder instead of going towards either the K702 or the HD600 for music. Not knocking those two headphones because they are phenomenal! The synergy the Grados have with my Amp can't be denied. They sound utterly amazing! So, it's time to either save up for a higher end Grado, or for a better Amp to do the other headphones proper justice in the future. I want to thank PJ for allowing me this opportunity. You have some AWESOME headphones there buddy!

SID3W8Z

Get the HP1.. They ARE the rock headphones..

post #105 of 1211 Old 06-13-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

I love this hobby, because you never catch the leprechaun at the end of the rainbow, which is, the perfect sound.. When I get my inheritance money I will get either the HD800 or 010.. I promised myself I would get myself a ultra hi end or statement type headphone before I die.. I still want the original 1937 DT48 as well.. Then I can die happy. I will spend 5,000 on my 'ultimate' set up.. I already have the source, the oppo.. Still need to get it modded.. But life through me a curve ball & my dog needed 4 teeth pulled.. Was litterally a life & death situation.. The infection was so bad, one of her eyes was almost shut.. & she has a heart murmer.. They needed to put her under.. & much as I love audio, I'd easily give it all up for my dog..

As any true pet lover would! How is she coming along, well I hope.

Headphone Audiophiles
post #106 of 1211 Old 06-13-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

Get the HP1.. They ARE the rock headphones..

Too bad you can't find them anywhere... My closest bet would be the HF-1 from TTVJ, or probably an RS1?

Headphone Audiophiles
post #107 of 1211 Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As any true pet lover would! How is she coming along, well I hope.

Fine. She must have had infected teeth for a long time.. She had dragons breath since me & my mother got her 4 yrs ago.. She never lead on she was in pain. The swelling is what told us there was a problem. Her breath is now nice smelling.. Thanks for asking.

post #108 of 1211 Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hey all,

i got my first pair of decent headphones recently, the AKG K142HD. i really love them, but i honestly think my head is a little too big my friends who have tried on the pair say they fit quite well. also, i wear glasses, so the pressure against my ear hitting the ear pieces on my specs doesnt help.

so, is there any way to safely "stretch" the headphones? ive had the pair for about two weeks or so, and it seems to be getting better with time, but it still gets rather uncomfortable after about 30min or so of listening. im assuming i should get more listening time before i experience any physical discomfort.

any tips, advice, or experiences would be great! thanks

2.0 > 7.1
post #109 of 1211 Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post

hey all,

i got my first pair of decent headphones recently, the AKG K142HD. i really love them, but i honestly think my head is a little too big my friends who have tried on the pair say they fit quite well. also, i wear glasses, so the pressure against my ear hitting the ear pieces on my specs doesnt help.

so, is there any way to safely "stretch" the headphones? ive had the pair for about two weeks or so, and it seems to be getting better with time, but it still gets rather uncomfortable after about 30min or so of listening. im assuming i should get more listening time before i experience any physical discomfort.

My suggestion, don't bend by hand. Use a child's toy ball that is barely larger than your own head. Then put the headphones on there when not in use.

Headphone Audiophiles
post #110 of 1211 Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post

hey all,

Or you can return them and check out IEM's like the JH5Pro or other makers.

Also Grado make's smaller headphones that might work. Check out headroom and there reviews.
post #111 of 1211 Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM

I use the Peachtree Audio Nova via USB from my computer with JHAudio JH13 Pros.

The sound is very "real." My 2-channel with the speakers and sub is actually the afterthought.
post #112 of 1211 Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friend'scatdied View Post

I use the Peachtree Audio Nova via USB from my computer with JHAudio JH13 Pros.

The sound is very "real." My 2-channel with the speakers and sub is actually the afterthought.

Sounds like a very nice setup. I'm still going back and forth with my 'stand alone' setup. I want a DAC.... but not sure if I should pay someone to build me a Buffalo Dac II or pick up a DacMagic or something similar.

Headphone Audiophiles
post #113 of 1211 Old 07-02-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a very nice setup. I'm still going back and forth with my 'stand alone' setup. I want a DAC.... but not sure if I should pay someone to build me a Buffalo Dac II or pick up a DacMagic or something similar.

I like the Nova because it sounds like a $1000+ DAC with a $400 headphone amp with a $500 integrated amp.. yet it costs $1200. The DAC section competes favorably with the likes of the Lavry DA11 and Benchmark DAC1 HDR there is actually no DAC I've heard that I've preferred to the Nova's, though I haven't heard any beyond ~$2000), the headphone amp is very similar to the Dynalo/Gilmore Lite, and the integrated amp is just pretty good overall. I originally bought it just for my JH13s and I felt it was a great investment even excluding use of the integrated amp.

I upgraded from a Travagan's Green and it was a huge improvement overall. I have no interest in upgrading further.. not until I'm out of college and have a job, anyway.

Also, the Nova's pre-outs are still active when the headphone jack is plugged in. This means my SB12-Plus picks up on the bottom end from 50Hz with the JH13s.. actually pretty pleasing overall using headphones with a sub.
post #114 of 1211 Old 07-02-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like the Nova because it sounds like a $1000+ DAC with a $400 headphone amp with a $500 integrated amp.. yet it costs $1200. The DAC section competes favorably with the likes of the Lavry DA11 and Benchmark DAC1 HDR there is actually no DAC I've heard that I've preferred to the Nova's, though I haven't heard any beyond ~$2000), the headphone amp is very similar to the Dynalo/Gilmore Lite, and the integrated amp is just pretty good overall. I originally bought it just for my JH13s and I felt it was a great investment even excluding use of the integrated amp.

I upgraded from a Travagan's Green and it was a huge improvement overall. I have no interest in upgrading further.. not until I'm out of college and have a job, anyway.

Also, the Nova's pre-outs are still active when the headphone jack is plugged in. This means my SB12-Plus picks up on the bottom end from 50Hz with the JH13s.. actually pretty pleasing overall using headphones with a sub.

NICE! What do you have for the 2.0 part of your system (as the rest seems great)!

Headphone Audiophiles
post #115 of 1211 Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
bookmarked
post #116 of 1211 Old 08-15-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been playing with a new toy for M/C Movies, Games and Music. To be used with HQ headphones. What it does is make the audio seem like you are using a real speaker system. You can use any number of speaker systems and rooms you want to emulate that sound system and room acoustics. In other words you can capture a $6 figure speaker setup and room acoustics with this device and hook it up in your room at home using your HQ headphones and get pretty much the same sounding speaker system and room acoustics that you got from using a really high end M/C sound system and the room acoustics.
So not only do you get the best sounding sound system, room acoustics and the 3D spaciousness of speakers with the sound sounding like its coming from the speakers.

ss
post #117 of 1211 Old 08-15-2010, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

I have been playing with a new toy for M/C Movies, Games and Music. To be used with HQ headphones. What it does is make the audio seem like you are using a real speaker system. You can use any number of speaker systems and rooms you want to emulate that sound system and room acoustics. In other words you can capture a $6 figure speaker setup and room acoustics with this device and hook it up in your room at home using your HQ headphones and get pretty much the same sounding speaker system and room acoustics that you got from using a really high end M/C sound system and the room acoustics.
So not only do you get the best sounding sound system, room acoustics and the 3D spaciousness of speakers with the sound sounding like its coming from the speakers.

Amazing.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #118 of 1211 Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:

ss

Reminds me of the Smyth SVS Realiser.

To answer another question (very late), my stereo consists of Onix Ref 1s with a SVS SB12-Plus sub.
post #119 of 1211 Old 08-15-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ss

Smyth Realiser? Which package did you get? Seems very interesting....

Dang, you beat me to it... I forgot the name so I had to do a quick Google for it.

Headphone Audiophiles
post #120 of 1211 Old 08-15-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Amazing.

You are correct Sir!!

Huge learning curve, and I love it.

Did you get the updated version of the Realiser, I did.

btw; I love your two word summery of the Realiser "Ingenuous Device"

Quote:

Reminds me of the Smyth SVS Realiser.

You are also correct.

Quote:

Smyth Realiser? Which package did you get? Seems very interesting....

Dang, you beat me to it... I forgot the name so I had to do a quick Google for it.

The Realiser no headphones.

Well Actually Kal was the first of us three to get it, and that lucky guy has a dynamite speaker system to make a copy of. My speaker system is entry level so I will be heading off to LA to visit AIX and La Casa sound studios to capture there $100,000 system's so I can have there sound system's in my "man cave" using the Realiser.

ss
Reply 2 Channel Audio

Tags
Nuforce , Akg K702 65th Anniversary Edition , Sennheiser , Sennheiser Hd 600 Open Dynamic Hi Fi Professional Stereo Headphones Black , Audio Technica Ath Ad900 Audiophile Open Air Dynamic Headphones , Oppo Bdp 83se Blu Ray Player , Hifiman He 6 Headphones , Grado Rs1i , Yamaha Rx V1800 Receiver , Sony Mdr7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone , Sennheiser Hd 650 Headphones , Sennheiser Hd 558 Headphones , Grado Prestige Series Sr80i Stereo Headphone , Sennheiser Hd800 Over Ear Circum Aural Dynamic Premiere Headphone
Gear in this thread - V1800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page