AVS Forum banner
163K views 1K replies 186 participants last post by  Joe Gunawan 
#1 ·
Well, I've been haunting the "What gaming headphones to buy?" thread. The only problem, many of the people there have gone to strictly from Gaming setup to more 2 channel and then Audiophile setups. So here I am. This is what I currently own, and what I have planned.... What are your setups?

Own:

Source:

Dell Studio XPS 435MT

iPod 5.5G running RockBox for FLAC support

Dac:

NuForce uDac

Amp:

Little Dot I+ (Stock - for now)

Astro MixAmp

Fiio E5

Headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm (going under re-cable shortly)

Turtle Beach HPX (for Gaming, LOVE THEM)!

Grado SR-80i ( Modified )

Sennheiser HD428 (in the mail)

Sennheiser CX-250 (Maybe they'll go under the knife)

Headphones being acquired:

AKG K701 or K702 (of course, to be modded)

Future:

I will eventually migrate away from my computer as a listening station and get a stand along setup where I will get me a Crazy comfy chair, a very nice tube amp setup (and hopefully Electrostatics).

See less See more
#1,063 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24385561

Thanks, and good to know, it would be so convenient to just plug into the front of my AVR and kick back

I added a Little Dot i+ tube amp to use with my Grado sr80i's. While the Grado's didn't need the amp, it was kind of fun. Tube rolling and swapping out op amp's on the LD i+ can change the sound up quite a bit.

I sold the Grado's after getting a great deal on ATH-m50's and I find the amp actually does more for the m50's. For lack of a better description, it opens up the sound more. It didn't have as dramatic an effect with the Grado's.

#1,064 ·
I love my Grado SR225i, Geoff4RFC. For rock they are the absolute best for my tastes. Glad you are enjoying them

BTW: if you need a portable device to run them on, the Sansa Clip+ does very well.

#1,065 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24409537

I love my Grado SR225i, Geoff4RFC. For rock they are the absolute best for my tastes. Glad you are enjoying them

BTW: if you need a portable device to run them on, the Sansa Clip+ does very well.

Thanks man, I've been jamming the crap out of mine, rock rock rock rock rock rock.......the detail is scary accurate, I'm hearing ALL kinds of stuff I've never heard........unbelievable..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24400488

Congrats!

I can understand what you're saying about the detail...when you don't have to worry as much about the room impacting the overall sound, it's pretty remarkable just how much detail you hear with a pair of good headphones. And yeah, Grados aren't bottom dwellers, but the mid bass you'll hear is very clean...that was one of the big selling points for me when I listened to them for the first time.

Sounds like you have a budding headphone enthusiast on your hands there with the little one!

Happy listening!

PS. If you ever want to play around with amps, other than the aforementioned Fiio offerings one of the most popular amps among Grado fans is the Little Dot I+. The website is www.littledot.net and the owner, David, is really a great guy to deal with. Many Grado fans on head-fi, including myself, use this as their dedicated Grado amp, and it is a lot of fun to play around with if you think you want to experience tubes at all.

Here's a link to the amp I'm referring to: http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=819&sid=e5e95e3a1e175ea5a5ddb1e5aedf02f2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuaySteve  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24406804

I added a Little Dot i+ tube amp to use with my Grado sr80i's. While the Grado's didn't need the amp, it was kind of fun. Tube rolling and swapping out op amp's on the LD i+ can change the sound up quite a bit.

I sold the Grado's after getting a great deal on ATH-m50's and I find the amp actually does more for the m50's. For lack of a better description, it opens up the sound more. It didn't have as dramatic an effect with the Grado's.

Thanks fellas, I love the looks of the Little Dot and though it's not the cheapest, it's not the most expensive either and I find it intriguing over the others I've seen. Very nice!!!

#1,066 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24410066

Thanks man, I've been jamming the crap out of mine, rock rock rock rock rock rock.......the detail is scary accurate, I'm hearing ALL kinds of stuff I've never heard........unbelievable..........

Thanks fellas, I love the looks of the Little Dot and though it's not the cheapest, it's not the most expensive either and I find it intriguing over the others I've seen. Very nice!!!

Yep. For rock, unbelieveable is a good way to describe it to me, too. I've demoed HE-400s, Q701s, DT770, DT880s, HD600s, and I own K550s. I cannot find another headphone that does better for rock for me.

I used to own the Little Dot I+. I like the solid state amps better. I had a Xonar STX at the time, and found that I didn't use the Little Dot too much once the novelty wore off. Then got rid of both the STX and the Little Dot after an upgrade to the Objective 2 amp. I can see why people might like experimenting with the tube rolling, but just didn't do anything for me.

#1,067 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 

Yep. For rock, unbelieveable is a good way to describe it to me, too. I've demoed HE-400s, Q701s, DT770, DT880s, HD600s, and I own K550s. I cannot find another headphone that does better for rock for me.

I used to own the Little Dot I+. I like the solid state amps better. I had a Xonar STX at the time, and found that I didn't use the Little Dot too much once the novelty wore off. Then got rid of both the STX and the Little Dot after an upgrade to the Objective 2 amp. I can see why people might like experimenting with the tube rolling, but just didn't do anything for me.
I am planning on buying the Objective2 after some online reseach a week ago.

#1,068 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24410812

I am planning on buying the Objective2 after some online reseach a week ago.

I did end up upgrading to a used Schiit Asgard 2 from the O2 because I wanted the pre-amp for hooking up my speakers. But I don't find the Asgard 2 to be worth the extra price for SQ. The O2 sounds very, very good, and I would recommend it to anyone

Plus, the Asgard 2 is a Class A amp and is a power hog just when turned on (not even in use). The environmentalist in me hates it (lol).

#1,069 ·
What about the Shiit Vali?

#1,070 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24411400

What about the Shiit Vali?

In comparison to what?

#1,071 ·
Although I've been enjoying my 225i's, I'm getting ever so curious about the 325i's

#1,072 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24411425

In comparison to what?

The O2

#1,074 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24411504

I would skip the 325i and go to the Grado Reference and Statement Series if i wanted to upgrade within the Grado Series owning a SR225i. Upgrading from my SR225i i would go for the Sennheiser HD800

Yeah. I'm waiting to upgrade because I don't want to spend that much. There are enough people that like the SR225i better than the SR325i, that it doesn't seem worth it. Particularly because it seems like those two models may be exactly the same except for the cups--it would make sense because the SR325i are described as brighter, and the metal would do that. I don't see any need to make my SR225i brighter. (lol)

#1,075 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24411430

Although I've been enjoying my 225i's, I'm getting ever so curious about the 325i's

I tried the 325is a few months back after getting a great deal on a used pair. I don't think I even put 10hours on them before I put them up for sale. 1: They were really heavy. 2. The sibilance was terrible. (which I had read was a common trait with them) 3. They didn't bring much more to the table in overall sound than I already had with my sr80i's.

I would have like to try the 225i's though. A lot of people claim they are the sweet spot between price/performance in the Grado line up.

#1,076 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24411504

I would skip the 325i and go to the Grado Reference and Statement Series if i wanted to upgrade within the Grado Series owning a SR225i. Upgrading from my SR225i i would go for the Sennheiser HD800

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24411814

Yeah. I'm waiting to upgrade because I don't want to spend that much. There are enough people that like the SR225i better than the SR325i, that it doesn't seem worth it. Particularly because it seems like those two models may be exactly the same except for the cups--it would make sense because the SR325i are described as brighter, and the metal would do that. I don't see any need to make my SR225i brighter. (lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuaySteve  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24412714

I tried the 325is a few months back after getting a great deal on a used pair. I don't think I even put 10hours on them before I put them up for sale. 1: They were really heavy. 2. The sibilance was terrible. (which I had read was a common trait with them) 3. They didn't bring much more to the table in overall sound than I already had with my sr80i's.

I would have like to try the 225i's though. A lot of people claim they are the sweet spot between price/performance in the Grado line up.

Alright, words of wisdom here. I'll take heed and be happy with my 225i's. I suppose when the time comes to make a substantial upgrade, the GS1000i should make the grade

#1,077 ·
Geoff: The GS1ks are beautiful, and I certainly wouldn't discourage you from checking them out if and when the time comes. I only recently sold my pair after getting some Audezes in here, but that was mainly because I didn't want any of my nicer phones just sitting around when someone else can be enjoying them. Anyway, to sort of echo what 8mile said, I would encourage you to also consider the PS500s and the RS-1. The PS500s were my favorite overall headphone for quite a while, and they're still my favorite Grado. I also know a lot of people on head-fi who prefer the RS-1s over the GS1k and flagship PS1k. It'll be fun figuring out what you like, but for now you're in good hands with those 225s

#1,079 ·
#1,080 ·
What is a good closed back or sound isolating headphone ? I have some Seinheiser (spelling?) 518 open back now and I can hear house noise while watching on my iPad. I'd like something I can use to mow lawn or use table saw and offers protection from noise and I don't have to crank it up to hear over stuff.

#1,081 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24424787

What is a good closed back or sound isolating headphone ? I have some Seinheiser (spelling?) 518 open back now and I can hear house noise while watching on my iPad. I'd like something I can use to mow lawn or use table saw and offers protection from noise and I don't have to crank it up to hear over stuff.

That's a real tall order to have that degree of isolation. If I were you, I'd get a pair of IEMs (ear buds) and then go with some Comply tips ( http://www.complyfoam.com/premium-earphone-tips/ ) I have been using comply tips for a couple years, and even though I'm not a big fan of sticking things in my ears (i.e. I prefer regular on ear headphones), these are really so much better than most stock tips I've used, and the isolation is pretty remarkable.

I don't know what you want to spend, but if you like the idea above, here is a great litle bud for under $20: http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAFX40A-Quality-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0079LE3GU/ref=pd_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W4CP6H5V8D23QB96900 I have used both these and the nanotube headphones (also very cheap) and I find them surprisingly good. They have been quite the hit on head-fi. Etymotic is also a solid brand, but there are a ton of options for IEMs.

#1,082 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1080#post_24424834

That's a real tall order to have that degree of isolation. If I were you, I'd get a pair of IEMs (ear buds) and then go with some Comply tips ( http://www.complyfoam.com/premium-earphone-tips/ ) I have been using comply tips for a couple years, and even though I'm not a big fan of sticking things in my ears (i.e. I prefer regular on ear headphones), these are really so much better than most stock tips I've used, and the isolation is pretty remarkable.

I agree. That's pretty demanding on isolation. Some of the etymotic research models are well known for isolation. For closed over the ear headphones, you can look through the data sheets at Innerfidelity . They do measure isolation.

#1,083 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050#post_24424787

Right now I'm recording live high school bands in Jackson MI. I brought along HD 380s which replace a pair of HD 280s that I literally wore out. More comfortable, better isolation, and a better match between the live sound and headphone sound.

#1,084 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1050_50#post_24424787

Well, you can spend $300 on Bose Quiet Comfort phones, which will do the job--but I don't want to wear these outdoors or in a dusty woodshop. I use 3m Peltor hearing protection earmuffs, which are pretty cheap and give you a claimed 30 dB of noise suppression (and I believe it). But they don't play music. That company makes some earmuffs with FM tuners, and there are other brands that allow you to plug in an outside source, but I haven't heard them and they provide 22 dB of noise supression--big difference given the logarhythmic dB scale.

But frankly, I like having all ten fingers, and I would NOT want to be distracted by music while I was running a table saw!

#1,085 ·
On one of the blogs I write I went through a setup I have been pretty happy with.

http://www.dersnap.com/snap-sounds-music-techno-tekkno-807recordings/snap-sound-personal-reference-music-systems-anti-audiophool-268.html

It should be noted I did not get really into the whole review side as that seems to be a bit too objective. Still with that said and as I do work with Pro audio equipment daily these little guys where the ones I always went back to.

Sennheiser HD 800s really have brought home reference quality audio when combined with the ODAC and O2 headphone amplifier for a reasonable price.

Either way the link is there for those who are interested.

#1,086 ·
I use klipsch s4 now also which are ear buds that offer some decent noise suppression. But I've worn them out and the cord tip is crunchy if I live around it starts to crackle.

How would those JVC compare to the S4? I was otherwise happy with the s4 models generally speaking. In exchange for sound isolation I'll give up a tad but of sound quality to keep price under $100.

#1,087 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1245475/headphone-audiophiles/1080#post_24436936

I use klipsch s4 now also which are ear buds that offer some decent noise suppression. But I've worn them out and the cord tip is crunchy if I live around it starts to crackle.

How would those JVC compare to the S4? I was otherwise happy with the s4 models generally speaking. In exchange for sound isolation I'll give up a tad but of sound quality to keep price under $100.

That's a tough one, cause since I'm more into regular headphones than I am IEMs, I don't have as much of a frame of referrence. The best compliment I can pay the JVCs is that they sound clearly better than what you'd expect for $20. If you use the Comply tips, they are a pretty enjoyable listen...very nice low end. Are they as good as my Atrios? Nah. But for anyone looking for a budget IEM, they'll out-perform their price point for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.