Recommended Audiophile CD recordings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jpenndcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a set of Mythos STS and want to try out some nice recordings on them to see how good they are. Hear good reviews and know they won't be like my father's old Quad ESL's (63's I think), but figure what the heck. I want them mostly for home theater, but want to know what kind of audiophile quality they have (read a lot of reviews on here about them before taking the plunge.... that and they were the only ones that fit my wife's requirements).

I know the Audio dealer liked to play Ray Montford : Far and Wide, which sounded great. They had a lot of other music, but no titles or way to get them (unfortunately). I really like the way the Joshaua Bell CD sounds on them too (Sony masterworks recording).

Any recommendations?
jpenndcl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
RBFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What type(s) of music do you prefer?

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
RBFC is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
aquaphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
as mentioned before, this really depends on your musical taste. but for me at least....

Bill Evans: The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings
jazz trio. recorded live, and you can hear the audience chat and the clanking of drinks and what-not, which really "paints the picture" of you being there

Norah Jones: Not Too Late
jazz vocalist. the song Sinkin' Soon is one of the best quality recordings ive heard. well, the entire album is good, i just like sinkin' soon

Beck: Sea Change
the is a little mellow and dramatic for Beck's standards, but i still love it

Alice In Chains: Greatest Hits
heaven beside you and grind is a personal high point from that disc


thats my recommendation. thats got jazz and some rock, too. all of these albums sound wonderful. very high-quality recordings

2.0 > 7.1
aquaphile is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Pick your genre from this thread - lots of great music selections there. My personal favorite is DSOM - Pink Floyd. Very well done.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tesseract67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Steely Dan "Two Against Nature". That is a good start.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

tesseract67 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 05-11-2010, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jpenndcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I pretty much listen to everything, so not real limitations. My father had a nice stereo system (marantz 8b and quad ESL 63's) that when you played a good recording you could basically hear it in 3d (if you will) when you closed your eyes. Those types of recordings are more along the lines of what I am looking for in a CD. I am not sure my setup will be able to do anything close to what his did, but thought it would be fun to try. Thanks!
jpenndcl is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 05-11-2010, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jpenndcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphile View Post

as mentioned before, this really depends on your musical taste. but for me at least....

Bill Evans: The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings
jazz trio. recorded live, and you can hear the audience chat and the clanking of drinks and what-not, which really "paints the picture" of you being there

Norah Jones: Not Too Late
jazz vocalist. the song Sinkin' Soon is one of the best quality recordings ive heard. well, the entire album is good, i just like sinkin' soon

Beck: Sea Change
the is a little mellow and dramatic for Beck's standards, but i still love it

Alice In Chains: Greatest Hits
heaven beside you and grind is a personal high point from that disc


thats my recommendation. thats got jazz and some rock, too. all of these albums sound wonderful. very high-quality recordings





Those sound great, looks like I will be making a trip to the store this weekend! Thank you!
jpenndcl is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 05-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Member
 
serenity737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of my favorite albums just issued in XRDC

Mike



SONNY CLARK - COOL STRUTTIN' (XRCD)

Mastered to XRCD from Rudy Van Gelder's Original Two-Track Analog Master Tapes!

One of the Best-Sounding Digital Releases You Will Ever Hear!

1958 Hard-Bop Set is Clark's Tour de Force: Warm, Intricate, Dynamic!

Contains Two Bonus Tracks Not on Original LP!

One of the great young pianists of the mid-to-late 1950s, Sonny Clark was practically the house pianist at Blue Note during 1957-1962 before his premature death in 1963. He led seven albums for Blue Note during that time, appeared on many dates as a sideman, and recorded Cool Struttin', his classic as a leader. Clark never recorded an unworthy chorus. His hard-bop playing was full of joyful discoveries, perpetual swing, and an optimistic creativity that was as infectious as it was visionary.

For 1958's intricately nuanced Cool Struttin', Clark matches wits and inventive ideas with altoist Jackie McLean and trumpeter Art Farmer, an to-die-for lineup of horns that are backed by the equally legendary ryhthm section of drummer Philly Joe Jones and bassist Paul Chambers. The quintet's four lengthy performances, which include Miles Davis' "Sippin' At Bells" and exotic "Deep Night," are filled with pristine moments where the five musicians seem to think and create like one. Indeed, the greatest jazz performances include harmonically detailed moments like those heard on Cool Struttin', where the music has a life beyond the individual players.

In handling one of jazz's all-time best-sounding recordings, Rudy Van Gelder's original Blue Note two-track analog tapes were meticulously mastered to XRCD by engineer Alan Yoshida and producer Joe Harley. This XRCD comes with deluxe hardbound book-style packaging with original liner notes and high resolution B&W session photos. The package alone is worth the investment. This edition of Cool Struttin' represents the highest-quality analog to digital transfers from tape to CD available, and is among the finest digital releases you will ever hear.

"...thanks to the XRCD process and the care that was taken transferring these albums directly from the original analog masters, these CDs have to be approaching the limit of what the compact disc is capable of resolving. Instrument timbre is stunningly real, and the amount of air and decay present on these recordings will make the uninitiated swear that there is a record playing on a turntable somewhere. I've never heard this music sound this good in any digital format."
-Jeff Dorgay, TONE Audio, Issue 26

At $30 a pop, these XRCDs are expensive, although not as pricey as the same $50 vinyl sets! And while they may not equal the breathtaking sonics of the vinyl discs, they come very close. So close, in fact, that during one of my listening sessions I was prepared to get up and flip the LP to Side 2 - except I wasn't listening to an LP but to an Alan Yoshida-mastered XRCD!
- Wayne Garcia, The Absolute Sound, June/July 2010

JVC has examined the each step in XRCD CD mastering and manufacturing processes and designed specific equipment to improve those processes. Every combination of equipment, connections, AC power regulation, clocking, mastering format, and compact disc construction was evaluated technically and by listening tests.
- Robert Harley, The Absolute Sound, June/July 2010


Sonny Clark Cool Struttin' Track Listing:

1. Cool Struttin'
2. Blue Minor
3. Sippin' At Bells
4. Deep Night


Bonus Tracks:
5. Royal Flush
6. Lover
serenity737 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 05-12-2010, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jpenndcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity737 View Post

One of my favorite albums just issued in XRDC

Mike



SONNY CLARK - COOL STRUTTIN' (XRCD)

Mastered to XRCD from Rudy Van Gelder's Original Two-Track Analog Master Tapes!

One of the Best-Sounding Digital Releases You Will Ever Hear!

1958 Hard-Bop Set is Clark's Tour de Force: Warm, Intricate, Dynamic!

Contains Two Bonus Tracks Not on Original LP!

One of the great young pianists of the mid-to-late 1950s, Sonny Clark was practically the house pianist at Blue Note during 1957-1962 before his premature death in 1963. He led seven albums for Blue Note during that time, appeared on many dates as a sideman, and recorded Cool Struttin', his classic as a leader. Clark never recorded an unworthy chorus. His hard-bop playing was full of joyful discoveries, perpetual swing, and an optimistic creativity that was as infectious as it was visionary.

For 1958's intricately nuanced Cool Struttin', Clark matches wits and inventive ideas with altoist Jackie McLean and trumpeter Art Farmer, an to-die-for lineup of horns that are backed by the equally legendary ryhthm section of drummer Philly Joe Jones and bassist Paul Chambers. The quintet's four lengthy performances, which include Miles Davis' "Sippin' At Bells" and exotic "Deep Night," are filled with pristine moments where the five musicians seem to think and create like one. Indeed, the greatest jazz performances include harmonically detailed moments like those heard on Cool Struttin', where the music has a life beyond the individual players.

In handling one of jazz's all-time best-sounding recordings, Rudy Van Gelder's original Blue Note two-track analog tapes were meticulously mastered to XRCD by engineer Alan Yoshida and producer Joe Harley. This XRCD comes with deluxe hardbound book-style packaging with original liner notes and high resolution B&W session photos. The package alone is worth the investment. This edition of Cool Struttin' represents the highest-quality analog to digital transfers from tape to CD available, and is among the finest digital releases you will ever hear.

"...thanks to the XRCD process and the care that was taken transferring these albums directly from the original analog masters, these CDs have to be approaching the limit of what the compact disc is capable of resolving. Instrument timbre is stunningly real, and the amount of air and decay present on these recordings will make the uninitiated swear that there is a record playing on a turntable somewhere. I've never heard this music sound this good in any digital format."
-Jeff Dorgay, TONE Audio, Issue 26

At $30 a pop, these XRCDs are expensive, although not as pricey as the same $50 vinyl sets! And while they may not equal the breathtaking sonics of the vinyl discs, they come very close. So close, in fact, that during one of my listening sessions I was prepared to get up and flip the LP to Side 2 - except I wasn't listening to an LP but to an Alan Yoshida-mastered XRCD!
- Wayne Garcia, The Absolute Sound, June/July 2010

JVC has examined the each step in XRCD CD mastering and manufacturing processes and designed specific equipment to improve those processes. Every combination of equipment, connections, AC power regulation, clocking, mastering format, and compact disc construction was evaluated technically and by listening tests.
- Robert Harley, The Absolute Sound, June/July 2010


Sonny Clark Cool Struttin' Track Listing:

1. Cool Struttin'
2. Blue Minor
3. Sippin' At Bells
4. Deep Night


Bonus Tracks:
5. Royal Flush
6. Lover


I have an old California Audio Labs Icon Mk II CD player. Is XRCD a newer format? Not even sure that my CD player supports SACD
jpenndcl is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Smackrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you go after Sea Change from Beck, make sure to pick up the recent Mobile Fidelity remastering, far better quality than the original CD version. It's $30 and you'll probably have to order online, but it's the single best sounding CD I have in my collection I think, and it sounds fantastic though my Mythos STS setup as well.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Smackrabbit is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 05-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Member
 
serenity737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XRCD can be played on any CD player - it is "redbook" format (regular CD). XRCD is a technical process which attempts to maximize the quality of recording, workflow and processing of the data stream prior to burning of CDs.

There is an extended discussion of XRCD in the current issue of "Absolute Sound"

Best,

Mike
serenity737 is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lefthandluke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dayton
Posts: 1,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
check out dada's "puzzle"...


great disc for a demo
lefthandluke is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jonomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 3,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had pretty good luck with disks from Reference Recordings and Telarc.
Jonomega is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
RBFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Try Clark Terry: Live at the Village Gate on Chesky Records. Very good stereo live recording. Usual Chesky quality.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
RBFC is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 05-14-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jpenndcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious, but how does the new iTunes format stack up to the CD recordings? I know there is some loss there, but am curious how noticeable it is. (Have not done the test yet myself and my system is not setup correctly yet)
jpenndcl is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 05-16-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jpenndcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

I have had pretty good luck with disks from Reference Recordings and Telarc.

Thanks for the advice! Just went to my local half-price books store and saw they had a lot of CD's on clearance... Found a Telarc recording called The Great Fantasy-Adventure Album - Kunzel / Cincinnati Pops. Lots of old movie themes played by the orchestra (surround sound CD) - sounds great! I knew I had to purchase the CD when I saw a warning on the back that said not to play specific tracks too loud because there are sections that have frequencies as low as 5Hz and it could damage your equipment. One of the recordings was T-Rex from Jurassic park walking and eating the goat. The other was a terminator theme. Sounded pretty darn good on the STS! Now I need to get the surround sound speakers and maybe a small sub or 2 for the back of the room!! (it tells you that you should hear a small bird over your right shoulder in one of the T-Rex tracks). Very cool! Thanks for the recommendations!
jpenndcl is offline  
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off