Emotiva UPA-2 review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had this amp for a week now. I am using this in a 2 channel music setup. This was bought as an interim amp until funds are available to upgrade. I own Audio-gd gear (Phoenix head amp and preamp, Ref-1 DAC). I had the FBI-500 but sold for money reasons. As compared to the FBI-500, the UPA-2 is definitely less refined across the board but it's not a fair comparo as the 500 is 5x the money.
What the UPA-2 offers is a quiet background, bass that is full but slightly loose- could stand to be a bit more refined. The mids and treble have a slight glassy character to them but are still revealing enough without being harsh or grainy. The 125 rated watts are real watts, not the Sony receiver 125 watts for sure- plenty of headroom for moderately efficient speakers.
If this sounds like I am overall unimpressed, not true. For $300, this is a very impressive amp and I can't imagine much better even used at that price point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 PM

I've had my UPA-2 now for several months. I use it in conjunction with my Marantz SR8001 for HT; but for serious stereo listening, it powers my main two speakers.

It does provide a 'quiet' background I suppose as I'm not hearing any extraneous noises other than what's eminating from my LPs.

I cant tell if my bass is fuller, tighter or God-forbid, looser but I do know I'm enjoying the sounds of my maggies at louder volumes which counts for something as they're pretty demanding on most amps.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Remember, this is in comparison to a 250 watt class A, dual mono, dual power stage, balanced amp run from a balanced source. So yeah, the bass is a little loose compared to that. Overall, pretty impressive.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post

I've had my UPA-2 now for several months. I use it in conjunction with my Marantz SR8001 for HT; but for serious stereo listening, it powers my main two speakers.

It does provide a 'quiet' background I suppose as I'm not hearing any extraneous noises other than what's eminating from my LPs.

I cant tell if my bass is fuller, tighter or God-forbid, looser but I do know I'm enjoying the sounds of my maggies at louder volumes which counts for something as they're pretty demanding on most amps.

What Maggies are you powering with the UPA-2? I have MMG's as my fronts with a Marantz SR6003 and have toyed with the idea of picking up a UPA-2.

"What brings you to this nape of the woods, neck of the wape; How come you're here?"
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 AM

I have moved away from tube gear to a Marantz AVR 4002 (70w/pc) but it is giving my some problems. It was quick purchased but it is not working now. I have five Von Schwiekert speakers (VR4 Jrs, LCR 15 Center, two VS Surrounds) and I am and looking to purchase a good quality AV receiver for TV/Movies but would also like to be able to use something better for two channel music.

I have had Denon and Marantz AVR's in the past (5-10 years ago) so I'm wondering just how good the new AVR's are for music (Cd's).

My budget is about $1500-$2000.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermott View Post

What Maggies are you powering with the UPA-2? I have MMG's as my fronts with a Marantz SR6003 and have toyed with the idea of picking up a UPA-2.

MG12s. Before I added the UPA-2, they were driven by the Marantz 8001 (125W x7-Ch Discrete Amplifier). To give my AVR a break, I opted to have the Emotiva (185 watts RMS @ 4 ohm) bear the heavy lifting of powering the 4 ohm maggies & let the AVR coast with the surrounds.
I run a phantom center for HT.

I sure am pleased with the 2-channel sound (depth, clarity, imaging) of the mags with the emotiva.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I can't imagine anyone not being satisfied with this amp at it's price. Makes me consider doing 2 UPA-1's using balanced connections. I wonder if having the XPA-2 for $100 more than 2 UPA-1's would be worth it?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

To follow up- I wanted to try the XPA-2 (got a B-stock) and the sound is a bit more refined. Mainly the sound is cleaner and less "warm" vs the UPA-2. Bass is more present but really tight sounding. Either would impress anybody I would think. UPA-2 is a super value and I'm not sure the XPA-2 is worth 2.5x the price.