Best Amp / Pre amp or Int Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of buying a pair of Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Baby Grand speakers and a Rel t2 Sub-Woofer. Can any of you guys offer any opinions about the best Amp / Pre Amp or Integrated Amp to power these speakers. I would like a detailed warm sound ( if this is possible ). My budget is about $3000. This will be for music only.( classic, rock, jazz, R&B etc.) Room size is 15' x 24 x 8 high. Wood floors. I welcome any and all suggestions. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbagot View Post

I'm in the process of buying a pair of Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Baby Grand speakers and a Rel t2 Sub-Woofer. Can any of you guys offer any opinions about the best Amp / Pre Amp or Integrated Amp to power these speakers. I would like a detailed warm sound ( if this is possible ). My budget is about $3000. This will be for music only.( classic, rock, jazz, R&B etc.) Room size is 15' x 24 x 8 high. Wood floors. I welcome any and all suggestions. Thank you.

No expert here but I'll throw out some ideas, based on conversations with "experts".

Best 2 channel sound I've heard used a McIntosh MC275 amp and C2300 preamp (tube systems). Used prices for these will be well above $3000.

"Experts" recommended taking a look at the following integrated tube amps (within budget):

Cayin H-80a
Audio Research Vsi60

The same tube guys also suggested a look at Class D ICE POWER amps. The Wyred 4 Sound W4S ST-500 was recommended.

Although not a 2 channel system. I have heard the Marantz AV8003/MM8003. These can be found in your budget and I think provide the "detailed warm sound" you are looking for.

You have many great choices at $3000 - tube, solid state, integrated, separates. Go to audiogon and have fun looking!
post #3 of 3 Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Experts have their opinions like everyone else, but from my experience, in the end it all comes to what you like when you hear it. There is no subsitute for listening to various preamps and power amps (and sources), and in fact it can take years to find the "perfect" sound you lust for. I know it did me. So my advice is, unless you are wealthy, buy or borrow (or buy used, as I did) a preamp and power amp that has been recommended by someone you respect and then give them a listen. Pay little attention to price or brand name - I have found no direct correlation between price/name and sound quality. And don't forget to consider room acoustics - the most overlooked aspect of audio beginners.

"The truth is out there!"
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page