Which PS Audio power conditioner you own? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks,

I am thinking of getting a PS Audio power conditioner. At first I was going to get the AV5000 but later on I read that the Duet seems to have the same filtering capability. My current power conditioner is Panamax M5100. Do you guys think by using PS Audio power conditioner will give me some improvement or should I just stick with my current Panamax? I am just trying to justify if spending a few extra bucks on the PS Audio will give me some improvement. Also does anyone ever own the two PS Audio I mentioned? Is the AV5000 better than Duet or is the Duet good enough??

Please share your experience or comments before I spend my money.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-31-2010, 04:42 PM

I am assuming the PS Power Plant AC regenerator is out of the question for you??? If not, let me know--I have plenty to say about it--in short, it is one of the best investments I have made in my system to date!!!!
post #3 of 9 Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

If you can swing the cost of the Power Plant then do it, if not the Duet/Quintet work very well.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-11-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have been using the Power Director 3.5 for several years and am very pleased with it. It was made in the USA and is no longer made, having been replaced by units made in the far east I believe, which may or may not affect their performance. But you can still find them used at Audiogon/Videogon and at very nice prices. I actually purchased the "upgrade" model, the Quintessence (I wanted the remote) and was not happy with it as it affected sound quality in a way I did not like, so I sold the Q and stuck with the 3.5, which I find completely neutral. I did find that replacing the stock power 14 gauge cord on the 3.5 with a 12 gauge Acoustic Research PR901 ($20 on clearance) made a notice improvement in my system - you may or may not get the same results, but IMO a 12 gauge pc is preferable. Unfortunately, AR seems to have stopped marketing their power cables and that is a shame because IMO they are the best bang for the buck in audio - if you can find one! The PR model cable has a ferrite core that seems to do wonders in reducing line noise, at least it did in my sytem.

"The truth is out there!"
post #5 of 9 Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quintessance, powering all front-end gear. Six Noise Harvesters on the poweramp lines.

Tin-eared audiofool, videot, Classical-music lover, and terrible competitive pistol shootist.
http://jeffreybehr.zenfolio.com/p610729623
post #6 of 9 Old 11-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

P500 Power Plant in my 2 channel system. I use the speed control feature for my turntable which apparently plays a bit fast.

post #7 of 9 Old 11-17-2010, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quintet for my frontend gear sub,tv and 300x2 anthem Mca 30 fed via a Powerport Premier. For my Halo A21 its fed by a Soloist Premier Sc on a seperate line. and I love it
post #8 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxman View Post

Folks,

I am thinking of getting a PS Audio power conditioner. At first I was going to get the AV5000 but later on I read that the Duet seems to have the same filtering capability. My current power conditioner is Panamax M5100. Do you guys think by using PS Audio power conditioner will give me some improvement or should I just stick with my current Panamax? I am just trying to justify if spending a few extra bucks on the PS Audio will give me some improvement. Also does anyone ever own the two PS Audio I mentioned? Is the AV5000 better than Duet or is the Duet good enough??

Please share your experience or comments before I spend my money.

Thanks.

The AV5000 will offer more control than the Duet will, for sure. It can be controlled via an internal web page, offers telephone, ethernet, and cable/satellite protection; the Duet doesn't. I've heard (though I'd need to verify it) that the 5000 has a 30A reserve, a plus if you have power-hungry equipment, listen at loud volumes, or your system shares the line with other items that use up power. If the current reserve is important, you could check into the Furman Elite PF15i (45A of current reserve) for less money. Each offers features the other doesn't, though, so it's a matter of what you need /want most.

Audio Advisor has a video review of the 5000 if that will help. Check their website:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=295
post #9 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The unit does have a 30A relay in the parallel filtered zone (for high-current devices like power amps).
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page