post #31 of 838 Old 01-08-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProampFan View Post

Have you tried disconnecting the PC connection to the amp to see if the noise goes away? I believe the amp is sensitive to various things. For example, last night I had my laptop VGA cable connected to my flat screen TV and there was a very noticeable hum heard through the speakers...even though the audio portion was not connected!!! Another thing that introduced noise was when I was talking on my cell phone and the amp was making weird sounds whenever I got close to the amp.

Disconnecting the PC would eliminate any source to the amp, then I have no way of checking it. The annoyances come when songs are playing, not while it is idle.

Heading out now, talk later,

Thanks,

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 838 Old 01-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Disconnecting the PC would eliminate any source to the amp, then I have no way of checking it. The annoyances come when songs are playing, not while it is idle.

Heading out now, talk later,

Thanks,

Rob

Is the amp close real close to the speaker/s or in a corner where bass notes are more pronounced? Sometimes vibration can cause the tubes to introduce noise into the system (tube dampers are supposed to help with this problem). Have you tried disconnecting the PC connnection and hooking a CD player up in its place? I'm curious if the noises you are describing happen when you a playing a CD.
post #33 of 838 Old 01-08-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is the amp close real close to the speaker/s or in a corner where bass notes are more pronounced? Sometimes vibration can cause the tubes to introduce noise into the system (tube dampers are supposed to help with this problem). Have you tried disconnecting the PC connnection and hooking a CD player up in its place? I'm curious if the noises you are describing happen when you a playing a CD.

Hi, the speakers are about 5' on either side of the amp which is higher up, but 1 is 2' from the PC, and is up high on a 32" speaker stand.

Actually, I don't have a CD Plalyer, except the drive in the PC. I haven't tried that, but I could to see if the popping is in that as well.

Have to take a look at tube dampers as I want this area to be pristene sounding with 2 channel listening.

Can you think of anything else I could use. I am going to play a CD now and get back with you.

Thanks!
post #34 of 838 Old 01-08-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

With the PC onboard CD player, still hear it, really sounds like interference somewhere.

But honestly thought I had figured it out.

To answer a question you asked....

The speakers are about 2-2.5 feet from the corner of the room.
post #35 of 838 Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Think I might have found the issue with the popping/static....

#1....the celly may have played a part, especially when sending and receiving texts.

#2.... Also I noticed 2 speaker wires crossed in the back of the amp and one was underneath the surge protector/noise suppressor. The wiring behind the amp needed a little policing, so I worked on that.

So far so good. The sound is loud and clear!!!

And I might add that Song from Canadian HiFi was extremely helpful in walking me through ideas that might be causing these annoyances.

So, I highly recommend him and Canadian HiFi!!!

Have you gotten your 20L amp yet?

i have a good source for the Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-Z Vacuum Tubes and they are the best price I have seen. Not much more than the Genalex Gold Lions.

So, when I am ready to upgrade, I may try them.

Thanks,

Rob
post #36 of 838 Old 01-12-2011, 08:02 AM

That's great news Rob! Cell phones will definitely interfere with the amp as I have discovered. I also bought my MS-20L from Song at Canadian HiFi but the amp has not arrived yet. It should be here by the end of the week I'm hoping. Per your suggestion I bought the GE 5654W's. Could you PM the link for the Treasure's? Thanks
Mike
post #37 of 838 Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Will do!
post #38 of 838 Old 01-17-2011, 10:10 AM

Got the amp on Saturday. This is an excellent sounding integrated amplifier!!! It's really no surprise as it's what I've come to expect from Yaqin. Love the convienience of the remote control. Big thumbs up on this amp!!!

____________________________________________________________ ___

Proamps not for me in 2 channel home HiFi. Tubes rule.
post #39 of 838 Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 AM

The amp has 22 hours of playing time on it now. I am favoring the Ultralinear mode (50 wpc) over Triode mode (25 wpc) by a pretty good margin. There is definitely more authority, bass slam in UL mode along with a greater soundstage.
The GE 5654W Little Dot, Darkvoice tubes are due for delivery today so we'll see if they improve an already great sounding amp.

____________________________________________________________ _______________________________

Proamps not for me in 2 channel home HiFi. Tubes rule!!!
post #40 of 838 Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Out of curiosity do you find that the bias drifts around on the tubes? Pity that s/h is so much but it's a sharp looking unit.

it IS sharp looking, and i'd like to try one, despite my long standing aversion to tubes... i'm working on a new bedroom setup, and it just might fill the bill...

the shipping is hard to swallow though...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #41 of 838 Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

it IS sharp looking, and i'd like to try one, despite my long standing aversion to tubes... i'm working on a new bedroom setup, and it just might fill the bill...

the shipping is hard to swallow though...

Shipping was 85 bucks from Canada.
Total cost = $605.00 delivered to my door in 5 days. Great value IMHO.

post #42 of 838 Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Shipping was 85 bucks from Canada.
Total cost = $605.00 delivered to my door in 5 days. Great value IMHO.

Hey Mr. ProampFan,

I completely agree that the 20L is a great value..... And, in comparison to the high end models, the 20L is high end sounding and I would recommend this for a high end entry level tube amp for those on a budget or looking for a secondary set up. Or even better 2 channel! Even though it sounds high end to me! ( ;

ccotenj, how's it going?

This 20L is a real solid unit. Someday maybe I will get a high end model, but for now this thing is amazing and so enjoyable.

I switched out the tubes with the GE ones (8) and the sound improved significantly better every day, until they were broken in.

I am thinking about rolling the El-54Bs soon as well as soon as ProampFan gives a review on the Russians he ordered.

I believe you will love this amp in your bedroom.

And to add...I listen to the UL mode more often than the TR.
post #43 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

hey woodsart... life is good, how about you? still enjoying the salks?

the speakers for this are ordered, jim is building me a pair of jordan single drivers...

so i've got a bit of time left to make a decision, but you guys are talking me into giving it a try... if nothing else, we'll be able to lie in bed and look at the pretty glowing tubes...

@proamp... ah, i found the "right" seller on ebay now... the first ones i looked at had shipping costs close to $200... $85 isn't bad...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #44 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Is there anything that Jim's builds not INCREDIBLE!!

Any of his speakers with a tube amp would be outstanding. You will really enjoy those, I'm sure.

I had the CAOW1s made for my 2 channel area and I truly am in audio heaven. Perfect for a small room, actually a little big, but I am not going to complain.

So, did you order the 20L from Canadian HiFi? Song is a great person to deal with. When I had my little problem he was amazing. He walked me through all the possible issues to find, of course, it wasn't the 20L, but the placement of my wiring and with a little help from friends, I got it all straight. I am glad it wasn't the amp.

Besides my speakers, it is the best investment for the money and more enjoyment I could ask for in an amp!

And, we'll see you back here in a few with a great review right????

You won't regret it.

Rob
post #45 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

cool!

when jim told me the ht2-tl's might be the last speaker i'd ever buy, he kinda lied, since although they aren't going anywhere, i'm buying MORE speakers from him...

not yet, but i'm thinking about it (translated: i have the ebay page up on my computer and keep looking at it... )...

if i do get it, i promise i will post a review...

- chris

post #46 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ha Ha!!! now that is very funny. Is that posted on the AC forum, if not you need to do it with the heading....Jim is a fibber....NOT!!! Or something similar. Liar is too strong of a word!!!! Especially for his integrity.

However, it would be a great topic for conversation and I think it would be active.

Ok, if you are wanting me to say go with the 20L....then I say 'just do it'!

You'll love it!!!

I took my cage off, I like it better that way and it is easier to keep clean.

Waiting for a comment on the 5654ws from ProampFan!!!!! Hellooooooo!!!

( ; ( ;
post #47 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Ha Ha!!! now that is very funny. Is that posted on the AC forum, if not you need to do it with the heading....Jim is a fibber....NOT!!! Or something similar. Liar is too strong of a word!!!! Especially for his integrity.

However, it would be a great topic for conversation and I think it would be active.

Ok, if you are wanting me to say go with the 20L....then I say 'just do it'!

You'll love it!!!

I took my cage off, I like it better that way and it is easier to keep clean.

Waiting for a comment on the 5654ws from ProampFan!!!!! Hellooooooo!!!

( ; ( ;

Hey Guys,
I got the GE's installed last night. I was only able to listen for about an hour but my first impression is very favorable. I'll follow up after I spend more time listening, especially this weekend coming up. Rob, thanks for the recommendation about the GE's.

The Russian 6P3C-E's are still in Russia but should be arriving in a week or so. Review forthcoming.

"if nothing else, we'll be able to lie in bed and look at the pretty glowing tubes"....uhhh, I'm gonna leave this one alone fellas...LOL
post #48 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You are welcome Mr. ProampFan.

We will definitely be waiting to hear the results, which I know will be good, by my own experience, of course.

You just keep on glowing!!! ( ;
post #49 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

"if nothing else, we'll be able to lie in bed and look at the pretty glowing tubes"....uhhh, I'm gonna leave this one alone fellas...LOL

lol... i was wondering if someone was gonna pick up on that...

ok, rob, gonna run it by swmbo tonight and see if she wants glowing tubes or not... my guess is the answer will be along the lines of "cool!!! order it!!!"...

sometimes, i think i'd be better off (at least financially) if i had the "wife issues" that other people have... but she's just as much of an a/v nut as i am (if not more)...

- chris

post #50 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well that's good. You look like you are 90% there with that kind of Wife!!

I think about it a lot ponder and then ponder some more, then research, then research some more and talk to the wifey, then ponder again, then ask myself, do I really want this thing out of the other 100 I want too, then save, then buy if nothing better comes along!!! Ha Ha!!!

My wife made me open my own account as she could not keep up with me and my spending. I'm not really that bad.

Good Luck!!
post #51 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

as predicted... "yea, let's get one of those, it'll look cool in the bedroom"...

so i ordered it... i should know better than to leave money lying in my paypal account... WAY too easy to spend it that way...

of course, i won't have any speakers for it right away... might have to drag out the pair of ascend 170's i've got boxed up for the time being...

- chris

post #52 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OORAH!!!!

I knew it, happy happy, joy joy!!!

You're such a sucker!!! Aren't we all!!! You two won't regret it.

One good purchase deserves an upgrade and now you will have to call Jim....what a shame!!!

I'll just keep telling myself...I'm not jealous....I'm not jealous....I'm not jealous!!!!

Have a great evening!!!
post #53 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

LOL! yea, i let you talk me into this one... 'tis ok, i like new toys... got an email from song saying it'll ship tomorrow, so i'm guessing i'll have it next week sometime, depending on how long it takes to get across the border...

it'll be fun... i haven't used a tube in forever, heck, i think the only ones i've even seen recently were the ones i pulled out of the jukebox i'm "re-purposing" (and those had 60 years of grime on them, so they weren't pretty!)...

i made my deposit to jim already earlier today for the jordan's... still need to pick out a finish/veneer, but i wanted to get the boxes themselves in the pipeline...

i will! you too!

- chris

post #54 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 PM
krs

Liked: 11
Quote:
I think about it a lot ponder and then ponder some more, then research, then research some more, then ponder again, then ask myself, do I really want this thing.
A pondering problem made all the more puzzling when some descriptions are considered, as in:

"Output transformer is it import audio frequency special-purpose silicon steel sheet (0.35mm ) and high strength high-quality enameled wire and special to is it make craft make to wind to adopt. Machine this adopt foreign famous-brand special-purpose to Hifi grade electrolytic having polarity electric capacity and high-quality Third Ring Road money to hinder and make stereo, the main sound channel selects for use and imports the special-purpose volume electric potential device. This machine use grade gallbladder *7 of 12As not famous with behind grade use by gallbladder the EL84s and top-grade English walnut side board not wooden not real not famous."

It IS a relief to see that the gallbladder walnut used came from a person who was not real famous.... or is it? .....

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAQIN-MC-84L-EL8...item27b733b265
post #55 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

LOL! i hope those are "audiophile grade gallbladders"...

- chris

post #56 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rlol! ^
post #57 of 838 Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Still rolling on the floor laughing!!!!!
post #58 of 838 Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Just a heads (nose) up...I bought 2 brand new Yaqin amps, the MC-10L and now this one and there is an odd chemical smell that lasts for a few weeks.
post #59 of 838 Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just a heads (nose) up...I bought 2 brand new Yaqin amps, the MC-10L and now this one and there is an odd chemical smell that lasts for a few weeks.

Hey M,

I didn't notice an odd chemical smell with my 20L, are you sure it is just a new-ness smell burning off, seems like I remember something like that.

You are talking about the 20L right?

Rob
post #60 of 838 Old 01-20-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

that's good to know...

i'm just hoping that one of my cats doesn't decide to "mark it as it's own"... because then it WILL smell MOST mightily!

- chris

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
Yaqin Ms 20l Integrated Vaccum Tube Amplifier , Yaqin , Onkyo Tx Sr806 Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Yaqin Mc 100b Kt88 Tube Integrated Amplifier 2 Mode New Pushpull , Axiom M3 V3 Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q900wa Floor Standing Speaker , Yaqin King 2a3 Ms 2a3 Vacuum Tube Hi End Tube Integrated Power Amplifier Pus , Yaqin Ms 300c 300b X2 Vacuum Tube Hi End Tube Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page