The 'NEW' YAQIN MS-20L Integrated Vacuum Tube Amp Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 838 Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am around 11-12 months and I have a scratchy left side when adjusting volume.
Guess I have it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 838 Old 11-11-2012, 09:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintchris View Post

I am around 11-12 months and I have a scratchy left side when adjusting volume.
Guess I have it too.

If you bought your amp from Song in Canada report it to him right away, if you haven't already.

you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to....
post #633 of 838 Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytowing View Post

I took the old pot apart to see if I could identify any problems. There are two sets of brushes, one of the sets was quite a bit lower than the other. Both contact the same plate. With lighter contact pressure comes the opportunity for more noise. If the lower set was for the left channel that would explain the issue.
On mine it was the inner set of brushes (closer to the shaft). I cleaned the contacts and bend the inner brushes so they are the same height as the outer brushes.
The next time I open the amp I may put the old pot back in and see what happens.

You might have it, I could measure no dc through the pot, I tried a cap in the left side to see if there was any effect anyway. Nada.
Curiously, with the amp on it's side and me turning the pot through it's range several times it has become silent again.
I'll see how long it lasts, but that seemed to clear it temporarily, for anyone else with the issue.
post #634 of 838 Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntlee View Post

You might have it, I could measure no dc through the pot, I tried a cap in the left side to see if there was any effect anyway. Nada.
Curiously, with the amp on it's side and me turning the pot through it's range several times it has become silent again.
I'll see how long it lasts, but that seemed to clear it temporarily, for anyone else with the issue.

Curious....usually I do that with an old tube radio so it has to do with dust in it but with radio I had this problem after 10 years of usage.
If this resolves the problem,turning the pot through it's range should be an easy task.I am curious how long you will have noise free sound?
post #635 of 838 Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineArts View Post

I am curious how long you will have noise free sound?

Me too, I'm sure it's just a temporary improvement. I'll let you know when it returns...if it lasts for a while maybe it's a simple "fix" for those who end up with noisy pots. It's not hard to turn your amp on it's side every 4 months. smile.gif
Though, I think if the pot had been mounted horizontally instead of vertically in the chassis, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.
post #636 of 838 Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 PM

I tried the "amp on it's side trick" and it worked!!! Went about 10 times turning the knob thru the range and now no crackle!
Even if its only temporary it is nice not to hear that sound when adjusting volume!
Thanks!!!
post #637 of 838 Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 AM

Interesting...I think the dust is not necesarilly coming from outside but maybe is a product of inside material deteriration...otherwise it will take much longer for dust penetrate inside the pot...ofcourse it's just my speculation but let see how long will the "renewed" pot hold good condition.
post #638 of 838 Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have had mine for 1 year, use it almost daily. So far no noise from the pot...
post #639 of 838 Old 11-15-2012, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernstmach View Post

I have had mine for 1 year, use it almost daily. So far no noise from the pot...

Lucky you...my is 7 months old and I got it directly from HK merchant HiEndKing
post #640 of 838 Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM

How's everyone getting along with tube rolling? Any new tubes fitted recently, always keen to hear about
other people's experience's and what people are trying.
post #641 of 838 Old 11-17-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZAJTG View Post

How's everyone getting along with tube rolling? Any new tubes fitted recently, always keen to hear about
other people's experience's and what people are trying.

I just rolled a set of Electro Harmonix EL34eh in, so far they are my favorite in the output section.

Here are the tubes I have tried in descending order as to how well I liked them:

Electro Harmonix EL34eh

Russian NOS 6P3S-E

Stock Shuguang EL34B

Groove Tube EL34

For the preamp section I replaced the factory 6J1 with Russian 6J1P-EV, like the Russian tubes better. Haven't tried any others.

post #642 of 838 Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 AM

I replaced the 6j1's with GE 5654w's and they were a nice improvement.
I am going to pick up a quad of Mullards soon to see what that does.
Only thing is I have never biased an amp before. Is it a pain to do?
post #643 of 838 Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintchris View Post

I replaced the 6j1's with GE 5654w's and they were a nice improvement.
I am going to pick up a quad of Mullards soon to see what that does.
Only thing is I have never biased an amp before. Is it a pain to do?

Biasing the MS-20L is easy. Get a multimeter and use the millivolt range so 0.4V will read as 400 on the scale.

Make sure the amp is good and warmed up (I usually wait until it has been on 20 minutes).

Turn the volume all the way down.

Make sure the - and + leads are connected to the meter properly.

Put the - and + leads in their respective places for one of the output tubes.

If the reading is not 400mV (milli Volts), using the supplied tool SLOWLY adjust the potentiometer (clockwise to increase, counterclockwise to decrease)

Repeat for each output tube then do a repeat check on each tube before you call it quits.

Using the millivolt range the reading will jump around a little, not to worry.

When you put different replacement tubes in the bias may be off by quite a bit, if so take your time. For example when I went from 6P3S-E to EL34eh the bias was at 175mV. I raised each tube 50mV at a time until all were at 400.

Have fun and enjoy the music.
Filmguerilla likes this.

post #644 of 838 Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntlee View Post

"Ultra-linear mode" means that the screen grids of the output tubes (the EL34b's) are connected to taps on the primary of the output transformer. This mode of connection has almost as much power as connecting them in "tetrode" mode (screen grid connected to the power supply), but with much lower distortion.

"Triode mode" means that the each tubes screen grids have been connected to the anodes of their tube . This lowers distortion further, but sacrifices power output by about 50-60%.

You won't hear much difference, besides lower output, between modes on this amp as the output transformers are designed with Ultra-linear connection in mind and so have an anode-to-anode resistance of probably around 6k ohms. To take full advantage of the lower distortion of Triode connection, the output transformers should have an anode-to-anode resistance of around 9k-10k ohms.

rntlee,
How does using a tetrode like the 6P3S-E, which doesn't have a suppressor grid, affect this?

post #645 of 838 Old 11-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:

rntlee,
How does using a tetrode like the 6P3S-E, which doesn't have a suppressor grid, affect this?

I believe the 6p3s-e is a beam tetrode, similar to the 6L6. Instead of a suppressor grid, they used beam-forming plates to reduce the secondary emission at the anode (which caused the nasty "tetrode kink"). Judging by the bias re-adjustment you required when switching from el-34's, the 6p3s's have a much higher internal resistance than el-34's do. This usual would mean that they would run optimally driving output transformers with a fairly low primary impedance. Maybe 3500-4500 ohms. I'm guessing the ms-20l's opt's are around 6000 ohms pqrimary impedance as that is pretty typical for an el-34 amp. Driving these opt's with the 6p3s-e's isn't "ideal", but probably has no audible deleterious effects other than a reduced power output. There may be a slight increase in distortion, but I doubt enough that you could hear it. Usually driving higher that optimal loads is less problematic than vice-versa.

Here's a table from Mullard that shows the performance characteristics of two pentode connected el-34's under "distributed load" (ultra-linear connection):

http://www.r-type.org/articles/ch3-003.jpg

You can see that power output peaks, and distortion wanes, with around 6500 ohms anode-to-anode on the output transformer (6500 ohms primary impedance)

Here's another that shows best primary impedance for various amp topologies:

http://www.r-type.org/articles/ch3-004.jpg

Btw, I REALLY like how beam tetrodes (6ca7 in my case) sound in this amp. My favourite by far.
post #646 of 838 Old 11-17-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:

For the preamp section I replaced the factory 6J1 with Russian 6J1P-EV, like the Russian tubes better. Haven't tried any others.

I have some of those, I need to put some more hours on them. Probably only had 2 hours or so in the amp.

I want to try these 6CA7's you posted a pic of sometime rntlee, I have done about 15 Hours on my Tung-Sol's now.
They probably need more time, still sound a little congested at the moment. They have a very nice top end in my system
though and have opened up considerably in the 15 hours.
post #647 of 838 Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 AM

My tube rolling is ower,definitelly.With Russian 6jp-ev and Mullard EL 34 ,I do not feel like upgrading anything else.It sounds like big SS but with this beautiful tube smoothness and richness with gorgeous crystal clear highs and concrete bottom - mighty and jet pleasant like sound of an instrument is
post #648 of 838 Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 PM

On the triode vs ultralinear mode issue. When using the 6p3s-e I couldn't tell much difference in the modes, except a bit more bass punch in ultralinear mode

With the Electro Harmonix EL34eh it sounds better in triode mode.

Anyone else experience this?

post #649 of 838 Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FineArts View Post

My tube rolling is ower,definitelly.With Russian 6jp-ev and Mullard EL 34 ,I do not feel like upgrading anything else.It sounds like big SS but with this beautiful tube smoothness and richness with gorgeous crystal clear highs and concrete bottom - mighty and jet pleasant like sound of an instrument is

Last night whie my wife was watching TV I decided to Rip all my tubes out of my amp and re-package it with a different setup to try.
So I removed my Mullard XF2's and Mullard M8100's, fitted Mullard EL34 Re-issue and the Russian 6jp-ev. Same setup you are running above.
Warmed it up last night, set the bias and let it run for 1 hour with TV going through it. I have come out this morning switched it on and it sounds seriously good.
This is indeed a very sweet sounding setup. Considering the cost and availabilty of this setup, its probably unbeatable. The input tubes cost me $30 NZ Dollars incl Frieght.
post #650 of 838 Old 11-30-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Last night whie my wife was watching TV I decided to Rip all my tubes out of my amp and re-package it with a different setup to try.
So I removed my Mullard XF2's and Mullard M8100's, fitted Mullard EL34 Re-issue and the Russian 6jp-ev. Same setup you are running above.
Warmed it up last night, set the bias and let it run for 1 hour with TV going through it. I have come out this morning switched it on and it sounds seriously good.
This is indeed a very sweet sounding setup. Considering the cost and availabilty of this setup, its probably unbeatable. The input tubes cost me $30 NZ Dollars incl Frieght.

Where did you get the Mullard EL34's? I seen them on Amazon for $90 a quad. http://www.amazon.com/Mullard-Reissue-Power-Vacuum-Matched/dp/B004XJCLOW

post #651 of 838 Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 PM

I deal with Amazon alot, ordering CD's and Vinyl. Always enjoy the service and have found the Amazon interface
to be rather easy to to use. $90 for a quad is the same pricing as Tubedepot.com and Tubestore.com

I have actually brought 5 sets of the Mullard EL34's now as I have sold a few here in NZ onto other people.
The first set I brouht from Cryoset.com (the set I use in my system and have kept). Packaging was a 0/10 and he is the most expensive.
One of the tubes developed a hum after about 80 hours and he replaced it for me, I was imrpessed with that though. But I won't deal with him again.
I suspect the lack of packaging ultimately didn't help the failed tube.

I have brought the remainder from tubedepot.com, service and postage has been really good so far.
I can order on a Monday night NZ time and the tubes are at my work Friday morning. Safe and sound and well packaged.

I did buy a set of Tung-Sol EL34's off this guy from EBAY
http://www.ebay.com/sch/bnb_tubes/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
Service, packaging and tube matching was all very good.
He actually has a set of the Mullard's for sale at the moment for a very sweet price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Quad-4x-of-Platinum-Matched-Mullard-EL34-Power-tubes-6CA7-EL-34-/360494365129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ef2379c9

IMHO he's good to deal with and I would deal with him again no hesitation. If you mention to him they are for Hi-Fi and not a guitar amp
he will send you a set more ideally suited to the task.
post #652 of 838 Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Im still enjoying the setup of Mullard EL34 Re-issue and the Russian 6jp-ev.. The last time I had these in they were new
and I didn't give them enough time, but they are really sounding something amazing for the $110 US Dollars you can all
12 tubes for. It would be my first tube rolling recommendation for a new amp owner.
post #653 of 838 Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Im still enjoying the setup of Mullard EL34 Re-issue and the Russian 6jp-ev.. The last time I had these in they were new
and I didn't give them enough time, but they are really sounding something amazing for the $110 US Dollars you can all
12 tubes for. It would be my first tube rolling recommendation for a new amp owner.

Are these similar to the tubes you have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320862822882?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Think they would sound better than the GE 5654w's I have in place?
I am leaning towards getting the new Mullards too. I was planning on getting GL KT77's but
I havent heard any first hand reports of whether or not they are worth it.
post #654 of 838 Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 PM

Yes those are the same as mine, surprisingly good for the money.
The guy who started this thread ended up with GL KT77's.
He had them with the GE input tubes from memory, he seemed to think it was a good combo.
post #655 of 838 Old 12-07-2012, 10:30 AM

I am thinking of giving the gold lions a try but I talked to Song and he was unsure if the bias range of the amp
was wide enough for the KT77's. I dont even know what that means.
post #656 of 838 Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 PM

I guess he means you might not be able to re-bias the amp correctly i.e. .4mV for the standard tubes might
be unobtainable with KT-77's.
Someone on here asked Yaqin about fitting KT-77's in these things and apparently they don't
recommened it. Im unsure of the reason, they said EL34 and 6CA7 only.
I havent ventured down the KT-77 path as I'm worried about damaging the amp.
Apparently they do sound very good though in these amps.
post #657 of 838 Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 PM

I think I am going to give the Gold Lions a try. I have read enough posts of people using them with
excellent results. I just need to figure out the whole biasing thing. I get how to do it now but with the KT77's
am I still trying to hit that .4mv mark? I am going to try to track someone down locally who can help.
Might try to get some of those Russian input tubes as well. This amp is amazing tho. I have it on behind me
right now and its super sweet!
post #658 of 838 Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 AM

KT77 have the same max dissipation as EL34, so bias setting is the same ( 0.40v)

You adjust the bias to set the idle current of the tube. Tubes have a "maximum dissipation" (in watts) specified in their datasheets. If you exceed this, the tube will red plate, not a good thing! Ohms law allows you to determine how many watts your tube is dissipating given the plate voltage and the amount of current flowing through the tube (watts=voltage x current). These amps run about 405v on the plates of the output tubes. The output stage of this amp is class AB, so you're aiming for an idle current that gives 70% of the max dissipation of the tube.
This amp has a 10 ohm resistor in series with the cathode to measure the current, so whatever current is running through the tube also runs through this resistor. The bias points on the amp are measuring the voltage across this resistor. We use ohms law again to determine the current via this voltage measurement (current=voltage/resistance). 0.4v/10ohms=.04 amps
405v x 0.04a = 16.2 watts
16.2w/25w max = 65%, so we're pretty close to the target of 70% max dissipation at that idle current and 405 v on the plate. Btw, the plate voltage will vary somewhat depending on your line voltage. My line voltage here is about 125vac.

Song was referring to the range of the bias pot...KT77 have a higher internal resistance than EL34, so they'll require a higher resistance setting on the pot to achieve the same idle current. If the pot doesn't have the ability to reach that higher setting, you won't be able to get the tubes up to class AB (70% max dissipation). Others have run with these tubes and have had no trouble setting bias, so I think there's no problem there.
Just be sure to adjust your el34's down to a low current before removing them (ie. a low voltage measurement on the bias points). Then adjust the KT77's back up to proper bias when you install them.
post #659 of 838 Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 AM

Hi I am new here, and I am just a bit confused what type of preamp tubes can be used for the MS-20L? I went onto tube depot and there are so many types, but 6J1 is not on there.

Also does anyone have any listening notes on the Mullard vs Electro Harmonix vs Tungsol?

Thank you!
post #660 of 838 Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Hi there,
lots of different equivalent tubes available...a fellow on another site made this helpful list

Don't be too quick to dismiss the Chinese 6J1's that came with your amp, I actually went back to using them a while ago and haven't looked back!
ktran11 likes this.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

Tags
Yaqin Ms 20l Integrated Vaccum Tube Amplifier , Yaqin , Onkyo Tx Sr806 Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Yaqin Mc 100b Kt88 Tube Integrated Amplifier 2 Mode New Pushpull , Axiom M3 V3 Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q900wa Floor Standing Speaker , Yaqin King 2a3 Ms 2a3 Vacuum Tube Hi End Tube Integrated Power Amplifier Pus , Yaqin Ms 300c 300b X2 Vacuum Tube Hi End Tube Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page