FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesteabest View Post

I found that GE 5654w to be very detailed and microphonic. It's very textured but loses all the sound stage.

The Russian 6j1P is a little bit more crisp and detailed with the bright sound; in exchange, it loses the sound stage and mellowness.

I found the 6j1 tubes that came with to be the best. The sound is very mellow with huge open stage.

I saw 6J1-Q manufactured from Beijing. Is this the same tube that came with the amp or is this an upgrade?

I found these Chinese tube to be musically excellent.

Do you understand what microphonics means in an electrical circuit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 836 Old 10-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry didn't know what microphonic meant in the electrical world.

On GE 5654w I had no issue as far as noise nor design/oscillation of the tubes. The tubes were just fine.

This tube gives very detailed texture but loses all sound stage.
post #813 of 836 Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 PM

Liked: 19
I actually found the GE 5654W's I had to be very microphonic in this amp. I also noticed these tubes gave a slight squeal occasionally which I assume was h-k leakage (the srpp in the input stage really pushes the tubes hard in regard to h-k voltage) I stopped using them and went back to the original 6j1's.
post #814 of 836 Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 PM

Hi ,

I also the fans of Yaqin MS-20L .

Bought this Yaqin as preowned unit and been doing some modifications asf :

1. Replace the coupling capacitor with AmTrans Japan cap which has a musical track record for tube amp application

2. Upgrade the tube to Genalex Gold Lion KT-77 (CRYO version)

3. Repaint the transformer box become Glossy Pearl Black color

Today I plan to upgrade the 6J1 original tubes into SER (Ericsson Sweden) CV 4010 Tube ( military standard ex-stock , same production batch , NOS 1956 )

I combine this Yaqin MS-20L with simple setup asf :

- CDP Accuphase DP-57

- Interconnect Duelund 2.0 REV2

- Speaker Cable : Anti Cables

- Speaker Usher BE-718 'Tiny Dancer'

Hope to hear the best performance of this Yaqin MS-20L :D

Sincerely

post #815 of 836 Old 10-24-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKYR1967 View Post

Anyone have any experience with Primaluna and how the MS-20L compares to the Prologue Classic or One? The Prologue Classic is $1800 vs $529 for the Yaqin, both are made in China.

Yeap,

Without any modification made , MS20L already easily beat Primaluna Classic, One even Two ...

I have strong feeling with small modification will make MS20L ready to be 'blind-tested' to Primaluna Prologue Premium (US$ 2800) or even the legendary Jadis Orchestra Reference

post #816 of 836 Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 PM

Dear Friends,

Just a quick update , I have an opportunity to compare the tube replacement for 6J1 with other Yaqin MS20L user.

Initially we change the tube to Mullard EF95 , this 8 tubes already break-in as my friend been using it more than 3 months .

The result is more musical (mellow) , better emotion , bit laid back, less dynamic ... but the staging and imaging remain the same like the original 6J1 tube and we notice like a slight thin curtain membrane effect creating less clarity .

Then next trial , I replace this Mullard with Ericsson SER Sweden CV 4010 tube which already run 5 days ...

The result is significant , the MS20L deliver very nice staging , detailed imaging, better clarity with musical presentation , deeper emotion , not laid back and we also notice the speed is pretty dynamic when playin The Fourplay album

So I can say the combination of Gold Lion KT77 and Ericsson SER CV4010 pretty well matched to my current system , the mid is alive , well controlled high and nice bass as well.

Enjoy ...

post #817 of 836 Old 10-31-2013, 09:06 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 658
I think you have been reading too many high end audiophile magazines.
post #818 of 836 Old 11-10-2013, 06:45 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and want to thank the originator of this thread. After reading through all of the posts yesterday, I found a used, one year old Yaqin MS-20L for sale. I communicated with the seller yesterday at noon and by 7:30 pm last night it was sitting in my family room. I'm not usually an impulsive buyer, but have been wanting to try a tube amp for quite a while and after reading through the experiences here, I thought that for the money, it was worth the gamble. I paid $400 for the amp and also purchased the other tubes the seller had for an extra $100. So for $500 I got the MS-20L and four of the Yaqin Blue Glass 6CA7's, eight JAN-GE 5654W's, eight Russian 6j1p-EV's and the full complement of the stock tubes.

Let me say, that my first impression of the amp far exceeds my expectations. Wow! I was hoping to hear a difference from my Arcam AVR400 receiver, which I thought sounded pretty good. There was no comparison, excuse my terminology, but the Yaqin opened up the music I listened to and breathed life into my new and old LP's. I played some Dire Straits, John Coltrane, Bachman Turner Overdrive and Jethro Tull and was blown away. I played the BTO Head On LP, which I bought in 1975 and I have never heard it sound so good. The music was detailed, layered and almost 3D-like. This is the biggest bang for the buck that I have experienced in audio.

I recently purchased an old pair of mint Klipsch Cornwall 1's anticipating getting a tube amp someday, and this is truly a match made in heaven. My TT is a Thorens TD126 MkIII with SME M2-9 arm with an SAE 1000e MC cartridge and I am using a Jolida JD9 phono tube stage. The Yaqin had the stock EL34's and the 5654W's in it when I picked it up, so I left it like that for my first listen. 

My old setup for listening to vinyl was the Thorens - Jolida - Arcam AVR400 - B&W DM7 MkII's and a Paradigm Monitor 10 sub. It sounded good, but after listening last night, it lacked life...feel...warmth.

I listened for 2 1/2 hours last night and reluctantly turned it off and went to bed. I know it's early, but first impression was very, very satisfying (to put it mildly) and I can't wait to listen to some more vinyl tonight...or maybe today. ;)

Sorry for the long post, I'm excited and had a lot to say.

Regards

post #819 of 836 Old 11-10-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntlee View Post

Update on the Yaqin 6CA7T blue glass tubes.....not recommended.
They do sound very nice, but there are serious quality control issues methinks. I had to return 2 of the tubes to the seller, one red-plated (fortunately right in front of me so I could shut down the amp asap) and one introduced a nasty 120hz hum in its channel. To the sellers credit, he replaced them but 2/4 tubes being bad does not speak well for these tubes. There are better choices available.

I also picked up a companion for my Yaqin yesterday...bit of a contrast in philosophies, eh? tongue.gif

CIMG5439.JPG 3502k .JPG file

Yaqin Blue Glass 6CA7's

I wish I had seen this yesterday before I bought these tubes when I purchased the amp. Has anyone else had any issues with these tubes? I am NEW to the tube world, so please excuse my ignorance, what is red-plating? And how would I notice it if it happens? I was going to put those tubes in, but I am reluctant to now.

post #820 of 836 Old 11-11-2013, 06:19 AM

After running with Genalex Gold Lion KT77 , another tube bring my curiosity to drive the Yaqin into higher level ....

Maybe in the forum already tried this new Psvane Philips Holland Metal Base Replica EL34PH (quad) ?

The link is asf :

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/psvane-philips-holland-metal-base-replica-el34ph-quad/

Look forward to hearing any sharing / thaught of this tube

Enjoy Listening

post #821 of 836 Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 AM

The ROI on Yaqin is great. You have to spend more than $1500 to buy a tube amp like MS-20L in the market.

I noticed that transistor amps sound the same. If you compare $500 Denon receiver to $5000 separates, you won't hear the differences. However, if you compare transistor amp vs tube amp, there is significant differences. Tube amps have more the open and mellow sound.

I wanted to try a tube amp sound and didn't want to spend too much money. I found this Yaqin amp and gave a try. I was very surprised by the sound and reading from this forum helped a lot. This is a great tube amp and it is worth the money to try. I'm a very satisfied customer here.

My set up is:
PS3 (type 3, 174khz) -- TEAC UD501 -- Yaqin MS20L -- KEF LS50 and Polk Audio Subwoofer
post #822 of 836 Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesteabest View Post

The ROI on Yaqin is great. You have to spend more than $1500 to buy a tube amp like MS-20L in the market.

I'm totally agree with your comment , even nowadays very difficult to find the pre-owned of this unit .

And more excited as there are some rooms of improvement can be made if you are a bit of soldering fans (specially modify the coupling capacitor which is deliver a very significant positive improvement).

I enclosed the picture for sharing ...

1. This is the original (marked with red circle)

2. This is AFTER upgrading to Amtrans Cap

3. Here is the Amtrans Cap made in Japan ( some hobbyist admit this cap is very musical and proven good for tube application)

4. Just arrived ... the coupling capacitor which got a very good Review amongst DIY-ers

Final appearance .... with painted new pearl black transformer casing

Last .... replacing 6J1 tube with SER Sweden (Military NOS) .... better staging and imaging .

Happy Listening friends ...

post #823 of 836 Old 03-19-2014, 09:08 AM

Hello guys,

I'm new here in this forum and this is my first post. I joined here because of this thread as i was searching information about Valve/Tubes/Yaqin products and this model in particular. I don't have experience with tubes and electronics/DIY stuff. I had SS before and quite happy with it but i didn't gave much time tinkering with gears because i'm more into music/vinyl collection. I've also heard tube amps and i was amazed with its characteristics and science. Now, i'm trying to learn technical stuff. :)

Anyway, i haven't bought my tube amp yet. I'm still researching and trying to raise more funds for it. First, i was sold with MC-10T/13S then i saw this thread and it changed my mind. I like the UL/TR and remote features plus tube cage. I'm planning to buy the amp from Tubestein. Since, i'm in Iran i might have problem shipping heavy equipment here. Tax would be another story. I just hope everything would be fine when i ordered it from China. I just recently bought cables from Tubestein to test the waters. Hopefully in the next few weeks my funds are ready. 

Ok, so these are some of my questions. I asked Tubestein if they can replace the stock Shunguang tubes EL34 to 6CA7 and they said yes for additional of just $9 but they told me i have to bias it myself. That would be fine but i read rntlee post recently about the 6CA7 so now i'm not sure wether to get it or just stay with stock EL34 then just upgrade the output tubes as i get along. Any recommendation for input tubes? I'm looking for affordable tubes to play with. I hope there are some available that are bang for the buck.

About the speakers. I haven't bought one yet for this amp but i will try to get it in a few days. i have access to Pioneer and Monitor Audio dealer in Tehran. I was set with BX2 before but that was when my plan is to drive it with SS. Now, i wonder if this would be fine with tube amp. They also have Andrew Jones designed entry level speakers which is quite afforable. Would these speakers good for tube amp? I might try DIY speakers in the future since i met some people in Tehran who's into Tubes and DIY. They have some resources where to get these. I know these speakers i mentioned are entry level but i really want to build my setup as soon as possible and get a very good sounding setup for my tight budget.

By the way, my sources would be Turntable and Desktop.

Thank you guys! This thread is very helpful especially for newbie like me.

J

post #824 of 836 Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Hi Filmguerilla ,

Welcome to the Yaqin Ms-20L discussion ....

IMHO, you better try listening with the existing BX-2 speaker which I'm 100% confident it will be very easy to be driven by Ms-20L.

As you may aware that the strong advantage using tube amp is on the mid-high freq , so it will give you more room to select the speakers that also strong @ that point.

Happy listening ....

post #825 of 836 Old 03-20-2014, 05:50 PM

Thank you. I'm aware of bx2 sound. I managed to hear it when i visited MA and pioneer dealer in Tehran. I will try to visit next week and probably get the speaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopoiku View Post

Hi Filmguerilla ,

Welcome to the Yaqin Ms-20L discussion ....

IMHO, you better try listening with the existing BX-2 speaker which I'm 100% confident it will be very easy to be driven by Ms-20L.

As you may aware that the strong advantage using tube amp is on the mid-high freq , so it will give you more room to select the speakers that also strong @ that point.

Happy listening ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #826 of 836 Old 03-20-2014, 05:55 PM

Hi Filmguerilla ,

If you have any chance to listen and lucky enough to grab the pre-owned with good price .... you may consider the Totem Forest or Totem Arro speakers.

They also doing very well with Yaqin MS-20L

Cheers

post #827 of 836 Old 03-20-2014, 05:58 PM

Thank you for the advice but my budget for the speakers are limited frown.gif

I will try to find other speakers if possible when i visit there. Used audio equipments here are very rare. I would like to get vintage or used but its kinda limited here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopoiku View Post

Hi Filmguerilla ,

If you have any chance to listen and lucky enough to grab the pre-owned with good price .... you may consider the Totem Forest or Totem Arro speakers.

They also doing very well with Yaqin MS-20L

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #828 of 836 Old 04-03-2014, 03:26 PM

Hey guys! Any 20L / 30L users around? I just got my Bx2 now the desicion for what amp to get is a bit hard now. Is there any big advantage to go with 100B instead of 20L/30L?

Thanks guys!
post #829 of 836 Old 04-04-2014, 06:08 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmguerilla View Post

Hey guys! Any 20L / 30L users around? I just got my Bx2 now the desicion for what amp to get is a bit hard now. Is there any big advantage to go with 100B instead of 20L/30L?

Thanks guys!

I suggest 100B. Do not forget to rise idle current to 85-90. You will get almost full class A amp that way.
post #830 of 836 Old 04-04-2014, 07:01 AM

Thanks AP1. Is it the tubes or realibility that is why you suggest to get 100B? I want to know why.. This would be my first tube so i'm trying to get the best out of my tight budget. smile.gif The 100B is more than $100 additional so i'm still not 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

I suggest 100B. Do not forget to rise idle current to 85-90. You will get almost full class A amp that way.

post #831 of 836 Old 04-04-2014, 07:17 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmguerilla View Post

Thanks AP1. Is it the tubes or realibility that is why you suggest to get 100B? I want to know why.. This would be my first tube so i'm trying to get the best out of my tight budget. smile.gif The 100B is more than $100 additional so i'm still not 100% sure.

Quote:

More power is always better. Add ability to get over 20W in pure class A. Generally current generation of Chinese KT88 tubes is better than smaller power tubes used in MC20. $100 difference should not stop you - this is small price to pay in tube audio world. Just consider that all power tubes need replacement every 12-18 months.
post #832 of 836 Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Thanks again. Really appreciate the advise. I will think about this in the next couple of days. My budget was fixed with MC-30L but i'll try to stretch it if possible... I plan on tube rolling but i will try to stick on the stock tubes first. By the way, the music genre's i listen to are old jazz/funk/soul, easy listening, 60's and tons of indie music. Is the KT88 good with these kind of genres? Never heard of KT88 yet but i heard the EL34 before and i like it..

Quote:

More power is always better. Add ability to get over 20W in pure class A. Generally current generation of Chinese KT88 tubes is better than smaller power tubes used in MC20. $100 difference should not stop you - this is small price to pay in tube audio world. Just consider that all power tubes need replacement every 12-18 months.

post #833 of 836 Old 04-04-2014, 07:53 AM

Last thing. How is the quality of 100B compare to MS-20L/30L? Realibility issues? I read a bunch of posts/threads about this but never read much on MS-20L or the newer version. This is one thing i need to consider. Because shipping would cost too much for me if there something happened with my unit. frown.gif Quite of a hassle since i live in another city in Iran. Shipping outside Iran is a bit complicated especially these kind of things.
post #834 of 836 Old 04-05-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I am going on 3 years with my 100B. Haven't had a single issue in-so-far. Have used it with some incredibly demanding speakers with wild impedance shifts (ie. Magnepan MG1.6) and it's still going strong. I picked my unit up used via Craigslist as well.
Only on the second set of power tubes. It came to me with Sovtek KT88's in it already (along with Mullard 6sn7's and Tung Sol 12ax7's). I replaced the KT88's when they died about a year and a half ago.
I haven't seen an MS20 in person, so I can't judge on that one

(I also use the MS-22B phono preamp from Yaqin, and have really enjoyed it as well. They make quite solid, well-built gear. Have been tempted to try some of the Chinese made horn speakers after my good experiences with these 2 pieces)

TV's ain't theaters buddy.

My junk collection.

post #835 of 836 Old 05-11-2014, 05:43 PM

Hello my Friends ,

Wonder if anybody here has a chance to compare the Yaqin MS20L vs Cayin A88T Mk2 ?

Look forward to hearing any valuable sharing here

Thanks & Happy Listening

post #836 of 836 Old 07-01-2014, 12:17 PM

Liked: 0
Hi There,

I was lucky enough to pick up an MS-20L on that auction site from someone only 35 miles away for an absolute steal. I've been blown away by the quality of both construction and sound.

I got 10 Voskhod 6J1P-EV's for £12. These arrived this morning and as it had been a couple of weeks since i got the amp i switched them over. The difference was quite dramatic. Much larger soundstage with almost 3d imagery. They are a tad bright but I'm guessing that this will calm down as they burn in. That was certainly the case with the Soviet military grade tubes that I rolled into my phono pre.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It's been both entertaining and informative.

A quick question: Has anyone rolled the Mullard re-issues into the amp and are there any opinions on how they sound. I'm sort of torn between them and the Svetlana winged C and so could with some informed opinion.
Cheers,
Alistair

Last edited by Aligauld; 07-01-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

Tags
Yaqin Ms 20l Integrated Vaccum Tube Amplifier , Yaqin , Onkyo Tx Sr806 Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Yaqin Mc 100b Kt88 Tube Integrated Amplifier 2 Mode New Pushpull , Axiom M3 V3 Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q900wa Floor Standing Speaker , Yaqin King 2a3 Ms 2a3 Vacuum Tube Hi End Tube Integrated Power Amplifier Pus , Yaqin Ms 300c 300b X2 Vacuum Tube Hi End Tube Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page