Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Hey M,

I didn't notice an odd chemical smell with my 20L, are you sure it is just a new-ness smell burning off, seems like I remember something like that.

You are talking about the 20L right?

Rob

Correct Rob. It's definitely a new component smell, just really stinky to my nose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProampFan View Post

Correct Rob. It's definitely a new component smell, just really stinky to my nose.

Close pin might work!!!! ( ;
Old 01-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Close pin might work!!!! ( ;

LOL, not a bad idea.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM
krs

Liked: 11
Look very carefully for any remnants of the stick-on clear plastic used to protect any plexiglass surfaces. I think the assemblers may be trimming it by hand which would create the possibility of a small piece being left on a transformer or other heating surface.

Woodsart, because I was expressing interest in your experiences some time back, an update:

I haven't bought an amp.

I do have a Yaqin buffer, the CD-1, and three tubes which I bought in a somewhat desperate attempt to roll down the high frequencies as played by a pair of fine speakers I was having trouble enjoying because of their too-fine-for-my-ear high note play, and to mellow the digital sound of some of my older CD recordings.. it wasn't enough for the speakers but is a great sounding addition to my CD input circuit.

The buffer DOES lessen or eliminate the scratchy sort of sound I was hearing mostly at fairly high volume. It is, in fact, a small tube amplifier which makes life easier for my Marantz PM8004 integrated amp. As such it definitely makes the sound "rounder" or "fuller" than without, even though the Marantz has a pretty warm sound on it's own. It took me a while to be sure that I could hear the difference - I gradually came to prefer to turn the buffer on rather than leave it off and now won't play CD's, old or not, without it.

So this experiment complete, I'm now studying again to convince myself of the advantages of a more complete or thorough changeover to tube amplifier, using the Marantz as preamp only.

I'm kinda' slow....
Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs View Post
Look very carefully for any remnants of the stick-on clear plastic used to protect any plexiglass surfaces. I think the assemblers may be trimming it by hand which would create the possibility of a small piece being left on a transformer or other heating surface.

Woodsart, because I was expressing interest in your experiences some time back, an update:

I haven't bought an amp.

I do have a Yaqin buffer, the CD-1, and three tubes which I bought in a somewhat desperate attempt to roll down the high frequencies as played by a pair of fine speakers I was having trouble enjoying because of their too-fine-for-my-ear high note play, and to mellow the digital sound of some of my older CD recordings.. it wasn't enough for the speakers but is a great sounding addition to my CD input circuit.

The buffer DOES lessen or eliminate the scratchy sort of sound I was hearing mostly at fairly high volume. It is, in fact, a small tube amplifier which makes life easier for my Marantz PM8004 integrated amp. As such it definitely makes the sound "rounder" or "fuller" than without, even though the Marantz has a pretty warm sound on it's own. It took me a while to be sure that I could hear the difference - I gradually came to prefer to turn the buffer on rather than leave it off and now won't play CD's, old or not, without it.

So this experiment complete, I'm now studying again to convince myself of the advantages of a more complete or thorough changeover to tube amplifier, using the Marantz as preamp only.

I'm kinda' slow....
KRS,
Are you looking at possibly buying this particular integrated amp? If so, you won't be able to use a preamp with it as it's already built in. The MS-20L does not have the capability of running strictly as a stand alone power amp, however, the Yaqin MC-100B does have this ability.

I didn't see any stick on plastic anywhere on the faceplate but I'll double check. thanks
Mike
Old 01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
krs

Quote:
KRS,
Are you looking at possibly buying this particular integrated amp? If so, you won't be able to use a preamp with it as it's already built in. The MS-20L does not have the capability of running strictly as a stand alone power amp, however, the Yaqin MC-100B does have this ability.

Mike
Thanks Mike,
I really don't know what I'll do at this point but I do know that that particular model is an integrated amp.
There are a lot of choices and I'm sure that using my Marantz in a preamp capacity only would partially defeat the purpose, or be a backwards approach so it's only one possibility. I'd be more likely to buy a tube preamp and a different power amp, probably solid state at this point in consideration.
Like I said, I'm back to 'studyin' on the problem. The little buffer with it's three tubes to try in it gave me a taste for the variability of some or all tube gear.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mike,
I really don't know what I'll do at this point but I do know that that particular model is an integrated amp.
There are a lot of choices and I'm sure that using my Marantz in a preamp capacity only would partially defeat the purpose, or be a backwards approach so it's only one possibility. I'd be more likely to buy a tube preamp and a different power amp, probably solid state at this point in consideration.
Like I said, I'm back to 'studyin' on the problem. The little buffer with it's three tubes to try in it gave me a taste for the variability of some or all tube gear.
krs,
It's amazing to me how powerful this amp is. Even though it's rated at 50 wpc, it will drive Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2 TL's http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/s...ecent/srs12tl/ (sensitivity 91 db and 1000 wpc handling capacity) to about 116 decibels with excellent clarity and bass authority. The 1.2TL's dig down to 10 Hz and this amp has no problem getting there. No strain whatsoever. I went from SS amps and preamps to this integrated and I haven't regretted it. YMMV
Mike
Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I haven't bought an amp.

I'm kinda' slow....

If you like the Yaqin Buffer CD-1, you will love one of these. Honestly, I don't know the Marantz sound, however, I know they are top knotch.

I had a 2 channel onk and it sounded ok. The other comparison is in the theater area I have a 806 Onk/ Emotiva XPA-5, so I am familiar with that combination. But....but....with tube sound, it seems to satisfy 2 channel critical listening more fully for me, if that makes sense.

Some will argue with this scenario as many state that a high end big name brand can prove as good. I cannot argue with that as I not heard much in that league, just a few and they were good.

But in Tube-O-Phile and other threads with owners of tube amps, they will argue to end about the tube sound.

I may be with them. There is just somethng special, that is hard to describe, like the reverberation, warmth, personal experience that seems live to me.

When I began to read about tubes, others shared with me I knew that the tube guys/gals were a different breed of people....I think more like purist in their liking to tubes. There obviously are different types of tubes that create variations in sound production. That is why there is tube rolling. i found it to be effective as many, many others.

If you really enjoy sitting down and getting into some good music with some good speakers then you might want to try a tube amp just for that. It seems already you are hooked.

I have noted in my reading/research that once these guys crossover there was no going back.

Also at RMAF 2010, you will notice everyone or just about everyone had tubes in their display, that ought to say something about them.

And, if you will research on amp prices, you will find this 10L, 20L and 100 Yaqins are quite the bargain.

Dealing with Canadian HiFi/Song, you definitely can't go wrong with his 100% rating/satisfaction.

I say go for it!!!

If you can imagine how I feel. I got the amp and it wowed me with the first start up, then it burned in and got even better, then I got a pair of the little WAF-1s speakers and they were stunning, then they broke in and wowed me more. Then I uprated 8 new front tubes, costing 30.00 delivered and everything opened up even more from top to bottom.

Then finally the 2 channel speakers, I've been wanting...the special order CAOW1s were made for 2 channel area designed by Dennis Murphy and what else can I say, beautiful, soft and room filling, but what else would one expect from a Seas woofer and a Hiquphon Tweeter.

I've been trying to get to this point a long time. The WAF-1s as you have probably read were for theater anyway, but temporary 2 channel.

There is something about the CAOW1s with the tube amp, maybe involving the on/off axis in that no matter where you are in the room the sweet spot follows you, if I am making myself clear.

I am listening to Grooveshark.com....Pandora One 192kbps, cds/ online radio with a RCA/stereo plug out from my audigy sound card to the 20L.

That is it.

And the sound is pure, clean and absolutely stunning!

Well, did I convince you?...( ;
Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 AM
krs

Quote:

Well, did I convince you?...( ;

Nah. Not even close..........
Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

geez, you are a lot tougher nut to crack than i was... it only took rob about 48 hours to talk me into pushing the "commit to buy" button...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nah. Not even close..........

Come on now, you know you are just "eat up with it"

I did realize one thing....in my opinion, from what I have understood in my research one would have to spend 3-4 times this amount for SS to achieve a similar sound as tubes. There again subjective!!!

Maybe Chris could chime in on this with more statistical information! Think he has some sophisticated equipment.

And, there again, I am a newby!!!! What do I know!!!

EXCEPT TUBES RULE!!!!! There I've said it......again!!!!

Just got back from up North and had to give up my CAOW1s for refinishing.

Plug the WAFs back up, blah! blah!, but they are decent for now til I get the C1s back next week.

Also saw some new speaks for my theater....yummy!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

well, i'm gonna reserve judgment on relative value until i actually have it in my hands... on a cost basis, it's hard to beat ss equipment...

this is an indulgence for me, more than anything else... it's gonna be a cool toy...

edit: WOOT!!! according to the canada post site, "14:00 international item has left canada"... gotta dig out those ascends and tack them up on the bedroom wall this weekend... it should be here by the middle of next week, i would guess... unless it goes via pony express now that it's in the states...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yup, you will get it next week. If I can remember correctly it took 7 days for mine to hit Virginia.

Any hope you've got a strong back cause those GALLBLADDERS attached are very heavy!!!

And, yes, I can promise it being a COOL Toy...

I would even venture to say that those Ascends never sounded so gooooooood!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

that's not too bad then... the toxic waste dumps are only half as far from canada than virginia is, so i should see it during the week...

latest from canada post: "01:00 international shipment has arrived in destination country"... not sure what it was doing between 2pm yesterday when it "left canada" and 1am this morning when it "arrived"... maybe it stopped off for a few beers at the border...

LOL!!! gotta watch it for those overweight gallbladders!!! something tells me that joke is gonna live for awhile...

i have faith in your enthusiasm rob... i'm looking forward to playing with it, i'm hoping there's not too much of a learning curve...

yea, the cool factor is going to be quite high... gonna set up a "home" for it today, as well as get the speakers set up (since it's all of about 11 degrees out there this morning, i don't anticipate leaving the house much today )... dug out my old pioneer 59avi to use as a disk spinner and an airport express to use to stream to it...

i AM interested to see (hear?) what it does with the 170's... since i've listened to those speakers extensively, i've got a real good idea of what they "sound like"...

quick question: from the remote control, can you turn it on/off? or do you just have volume control from there? wanted to know, because if you can't turn it on/off, i'll need to set up some kind of triggered switch...

- chris

Old 01-22-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post
that's not too bad then... the toxic waste dumps are only half as far from canada than virginia is, so i should see it during the week...

latest from canada post: "01:00 international shipment has arrived in destination country"... not sure what it was doing between 2pm yesterday when it "left canada" and 1am this morning when it "arrived"... maybe it stopped off for a few beers at the border...

LOL!!! gotta watch it for those overweight gallbladders!!! something tells me that joke is gonna live for awhile...

i have faith in your enthusiasm rob... i'm looking forward to playing with it, i'm hoping there's not too much of a learning curve...

yea, the cool factor is going to be quite high... gonna set up a "home" for it today, as well as get the speakers set up (since it's all of about 11 degrees out there this morning, i don't anticipate leaving the house much today )... dug out my old pioneer 59avi to use as a disk spinner and an airport express to use to stream to it...

i AM interested to see (hear?) what it does with the 170's... since i've listened to those speakers extensively, i've got a real good idea of what they "sound like"...

quick question: from the remote control, can you turn it on/off? or do you just have volume control from there? wanted to know, because if you can't turn it on/off, i'll need to set up some kind of triggered switch...
There are no toxic wastes in Prince George, only country living, however we have a Rolls Royce plant here being built, wow that's impressive.

The 20L will definite have a few or more beers at the border, if I can remember correctly and may have to spend a night or two as it won't be able to drink and drive.

Tube glow is a neat thing and looks impressive. I keep my on and listening pretty much all day during the weekdays.

Now, I don't know how I feel with the C1s in rehab. The Waffys will have to do for now, but not even close to satisfying my musical ears anymore and I realize now plugging them back in that they definitely will need a sub for 2 channel listening!!!

I really cannot say anything negative about the 20L as I think honestly and "enthusiastically" really has my thumbs up.

But negatively speaking the remote was disappointing, and no "on/off" buttom, which was the only negative. And, the weight, I'll bet it weights a pound or so. Solid and well built, but not as functional and I don't know why.

You will find the 20L really solid and built very well. The batteries will already be in the remote as Song told me. The reason for that he checks everything before it leaves his warehouse for any issues.

Definitely consider some tube rolling, when the unit is broken in. As I posted before with replacing the 6J1s with the 5454Ws from Redfern on ebay, very good improvement. There are others as well. And....that is the fun with tubes, upgrading....upgrading.....and having fun hearing the improvement without buying another unit!!!

Waiting for Mike to give his review on them. And also, the Russians he is getting in. For a cheap tube they are suppose to be an improvement

Song even notes in the description part what the 6J1s can be replaced with, suggests to me they are not that great, just stock tubes.

I really want you to understand and all others that I am a newby and that the 20L is with a doubt from my point of view, (and I have said this before), is a great high quality, entry level tube amp as an introduction to the sound of tubes with all the features and sound of great quality for one's money.

Also in my googling, I have found no agruments on Yaqin vs other high end amps. It appears that most are pondering purchase or just scratching their heads about Chinese amps as they have greatly improved in the past years. Seems to be a "wait and see".

However the reviews are forthcoming and definitely out there. Most if not all are very positive and if you notice on Canadian HiFi, the sales are moving right along on 10Ls/20Ls and 100s. And those little phono/buffer things.

Sounds like your set up with the 59avi and airport express will be a great start with the 20L. I really enjoy Pandora One and now thanks to Mike the Grooveshark.com.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Rob
Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
There is no on/off switch on the remote control and for a very good reason. If the on/off switch on the remote were accidently pressed, and then a few seconds later, pressed again, it would "quick power cycle" the amp and blow a fuse...or worse, if the fuse didn't blow, take out some other major component of the amp. I would recommend plugging it straight into a wall outlet.

Do not plug the amp into a power strip!!! The button on the power switch could accidently get switched off and then a persons natural inclination would be to switch it right back on....again, "quick power cycle" means bad juju!!!

Yesterday I was rearranging my power strip under the TV cabinet which had the TV and CD player plugged in to it. I accidently bumped the power button and the CD shut off...the music stopped and without thinking, I turned the power strip back on....I freaked out for a moment thinking that the amp was plugged into the power strip but then I remembered it wasn't...got a big rush of Adrenaline there...crisis averted.

Even though the manual does not state this, I would recommend, during the 20 second delay, to go ahead and choose which mode, UL or triode, you are going to listen to. You CAN switch between the 2 modes while the amp has been on for at least a couple minutes, however, it makes a pop noise which really bothered me. It didn't hurt anything but it sure is bothersome to me.

I'm pretty bad about reading instruction manuals but I read this one from cover to cover.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
No. There is no on/off switch on the remote control and for a very good reason. If the on/off switch on the remote were accidently pressed, and then a few seconds later, pressed again, it would "quick power cycle" the amp and blow a fuse...or worse, if the fuse didn't blow, take out some other major component of the amp. I would recommend plugging it straight into a wall outlet.

Do not plug the amp it into a power strip!!! The button on the power switch could accidently get switched off and then a persons natural inclination would be to switch it right back on....again, "quick power cycle" means bad juju!!!

Yesterday I was rearranging my power strip under the TV cabinet which had the TV and CD player plugged in to it. I accidently bumped the power button and the CD shut off...the music stopped and without thinking, I turned the power strip back on....I freaked out for a moment thinking that the amp was plugged into the power strip but then I remembered it wasn't...got a big rush of Adrenaline there...crisis averted.

Even though the manual does not state this, I would recommend, during the 20 second delay, to go ahead and choose which mode, UL or triode, you are going to listen to. You CANswitch between the 2 modes while the amp has been on for at least a couple minutes, however, it makes a pop noise which really bothered me. It didn't hurt anything but it sure is bothersome to me.

I'm pretty bad about reading instruction manuals but I read this one from cover to cover.
That's good to know Mike...however, I do have mine plugged in to a separate plug with a separate surge protector/noise supressor. They are away from being accidently switched off. I do have a fear of electrical storms here.

One thing I found out and read, wait awhile and I usually do when I turn it right back on, at least till there is no glow in the tubes. I did read and found out that this thing holds current for a while after turning it off.

As I stated before, must be normal for the popping/static when switching between TR and UL. I rarely do it anyway, so I am not concerned.

Since I am new to tubes, I also have read the copied manual several times.

But, it has very simple procedures to follow, so I have done that. I don't think the 20L is that temperamental, but I guess I will find out.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
At this point I think you can type your tracking number into USPS and get more info on it's progress. If not, check USPS again later. Once the package is in this country, Canada Post no longer gives updates, at least it didn't in my case. I kept checking Canada Post for 2 days which showed no more progress from "arrived in destination country" and then BAM, it's at my door!!! Curious about this delay of information, I went to the USPS website and typed in the tracking number and there was all kinds of detailed progress dating back to "arrived in destination country".
Old 01-22-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
That's good to know Mike...however, I do have mine plugged in to a separate plug with a separate surge protector/noise supressor. They are away from being accidently switched off. I do have a fear of electrical storms here.

One thing I found out and read, wait awhile and I usually do when I turn it right back on, at least till there is no glow in the tubes. I did read and found out that this thing holds current for a while after turning it off.

As I stated before, must be normal for the popping/static when switching between TR and UL. I rarely do it anyway, so I am not concerned.

Since I am new to tubes, I also have read the copied manual several times.

But, it has very simple procedures to follow, so I have done that. I don't think the 20L is that temperamental, but I guess I will find out.

Good morning Rob,

Still groovin' on GS eh!!! Glad you like it. Have you tried to upload any songs to the server yet?

The capacitors store energy for quite awhile so I try to wait at least 20 minutes before I turn it back on. Before I knew about quick power cycling, I blew a fuse in the MC-10L a few months ago by turning it off and on trying to troubleshoot a bad connection (turns out my friends laptop has a faulty mini-jack).

Just an FYI to everyone, if the fuse does blow for whatever reason, remove the power cord from the back of the amp and right below the socket, there is a fuse drawer that slides out and it has a spare fuse in there.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 AM
krs

Quote:

^^^

geez, you are a lot tougher nut to crack than i was... it only took rob about 48 hours to talk me into pushing the "commit to buy" button...

Heh! I'm usually not so slow (or careful) about purchases. It's just that I'm trying to find my idea of the 'perfect' pair of speakers for use in a two channel music-only system and until I do I think it's better to use my known Marantz stuff for evaluations. It cuts the number of variables. I stopped using my fancy sound card and flac library temporarily for the same reason and think that adding new sound equipment right now is probably more distracting than beneficial.

Such immense wisdom does not limit my interest in these bargain tube adventures and if some unusually attractive deal occurs I'm ready to trip the trigger on a moment's notice. Meantime the more I can take in the better.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Heh! I'm usually not so slow (or careful) about purchases. It's just that I'm trying to find my idea of the 'perfect' pair of speakers for use in a two channel music-only system and until I do I think it's better to use my known Marantz stuff for evaluations. It cuts the number of variables. I stopped using my fancy sound card and flac library temporarily for the same reason and think that adding new sound equipment right now is probably more distracting than beneficial.

Such immense wisdom does not limit my interest in these bargain tube adventures and if some unusually attractive deal occurs I'm ready to trip the trigger on a moment's notice. Meantime the more I can take in the better.

Tell me what speakers are you looking, retail purchase or DIY?

Some guys out there really do a great job in designing a great sound at an affordable price.

You are probably familiar with them....Danny Ritchie, GR Research, Dennis Murphy, (Designer of my CAOW1s), and of course the ultimate affordable finished speakers I have heard and absolutely know they are real special and amazing sound for the money....the Salks! Chris can testify to that easily!!!!

I have researched for a year and got so confused as the big companies offer a great sound, but way beyond my budget or mainly what I feel comfortable in telling my wife.

Auditioning was hard in the Richmond area, but I did hear some biggies, like Quad, B&W, Cambridge Audio, gave up then even I had a chance to hear Paradigm and they started bottom around 1k, and honestly was not too impressed with any of the ones I heard in my price range.

Listened for fun to a variety of Swans in Florida on vaction.

Sometimes I believe these put more money in their advertising than into their speakers. They satisfy the general public, not so much the audiophile community IMHO!!!!

As an artist, I find my self just listening to the rhythms, certain notes, a trumpet duet, Nora Jones voice, horns blending, but seeming so separate in a Canadian Brass number.

Haven't done this in years, but just can't seem to get enough of it now with the right kind of equipment. And just to think I haven't gotten to very best yet!!!

I didn't know why I lost my love for it, until I realized and understood the term..."listening fatigue", then I knew.

Sorry, I got into all of that, but you are right....overkill on equipment can be detrimental to listening pleasure. I am not to hip on FLAC either.

And, of course, you are not a 'newby' when it come to sound as you probably know all that I have been yapping about!!!! He He!!! Sorry, if I bored you!

Double your pleasure....get Yaqin and get DIY'n !!!!

Couldn't resist!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 AM
krs

I'd like to have a pair of three way speakers with a full bodied sound that fit within some definition of 'bookshelf'; I'd like those speakers to use modern drivers and have at least 8" woofers because I think that the old hotrodder's maxim applies - "There's no substitute for cubic inches". AND I'd like not to need to use a subwoofer.

Seems to be a tall order.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yea, that'd be nice... although even though i have mains that reach relatively low now, i still use my sub... so i don't have the "no sub" requirement...

unfortunately, mr. hoffman is standing in the way of that... google "hoffman's iron law" for that one, there's better explanations of that on the web than i can type...

amoungst other constraints...

like i said, it'd be nice though...

- chris

Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
krs

Injecting an interesting find: http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/

This was really a surprise as my father built a Dynaco kit mono amplifier which was the basis of the first "hifi" system we had in the house. I remember it looking very much like one photo in this site of a mono amp with shield installed. I'm pretty sure it was 1953 or 1954 and before the popularity of stereo sound.

A couple of years later I built a Heathkit shortwave radio that I remember having to save up $12.00 to buy. You might imagine my interest in this website.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

that's a pretty cool site... although you are gonna cost me several hours of "work" time browsing through it... i too constructed a few heathkit's back in the day...

- chris

Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

i guess it only had 1 beer at the border, because it arrived late yesterday afternoon...

gonna hook it up when i get home today... as much as i wanted to hook it up last night, i figured it might be a good idea to let it come back up to room temperature before using it (it's freaking COLD here in new jersey these days)...

i got it unboxed and it's sitting on my kitchen counter... one thing is for sure... it's HEAVY...

- chris

Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

i guess it only had 1 beer at the border, because it arrived late yesterday afternoon...

gonna hook it up when i get home today... as much as i wanted to hook it up last night, i figured it might be a good idea to let it come back up to room temperature before using it (it's freaking COLD here in new jersey these days)...

i got it unboxed and it's sitting on my kitchen counter... one thing is for sure... it's HEAVY...

Chris,

Glad to see the 20L arrived in good condition, yes, I told you it was heavy, bout 42 pounds, I believe. I had to lift mine up about 5', almost killed me, but I did it.

That was quick delivery too.

Amazing how quiet the 20L is, except for start up as in warming up few just a crackles with expansion.

Well, now you have to wait for your speakers, oh forgot...you can play the 170's, I think you will be surprised with the overall performance.

Well an update for me got the C1s back and I am in heaven again. AHHHHH!

Keep us posted.

R
Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM

Well woodsart, Song should cut you some kind of deal, because of your review I order
mine early this morning.I can say one thing he is fast, as it has already shipped.
I Live in Indiana only about a 8 hour drive from where he's at so I'm in hopes of a fast delivery.
I also order the GE 5654 JAN tubes, I got 10 for $33 and thats was with shipping.
I will post pictures of mine also and maybe a video.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubedoctor1971 View Post

Well woodsart, Song should cut you some kind of deal, because of your review I order
mine early this morning.I can say one thing he is fast, as it has already shipped.
I Live in Indiana only about a 8 hour drive from where he's at so I'm in hopes of a fast delivery.
I also order the GE 5654 JAN tubes, I got 10 for $33 and thats was with shipping.
I will post pictures of mine also and maybe a video.

Congratulations!!!

I told Song about the thread and he read it and I hope he keeps up with it....Song are you there???

Yeah, your delivery should be quicker. Glad you ordered the GEs as I am pleased with them. That is a good deal.

ProampFan also got them and is in the process of breaking them. I am waiting for a his take. He must be busy.

Is this your first tube? I have been listening all day and with these CAOW1s, it is SWEET!!!

R
Old 01-25-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Congratulations!!!

I told Song about the thread and he read it and I hope he keeps up with it....Song are you there???

Yeah, your delivery should be quicker. Glad you ordered the GEs as I am pleased with them. That is a good deal.

ProampFan also got them and is in the process of breaking them. I am waiting for a his take. He must be busy.

Is this your first tube? I have been listening all day and with these CAOW1s, it is SWEET!!!

R

The only thing I have now that is tube is my Bellari Vp130 phono pre but I think I just might order the Yaqin MS-12B tomorrow to replace it.First tube amp of my "own" but I grew up with my parents BIG Fisher Regent Console,
which if I remember right it had like 37 or 38 tubes in it.

Tags
Yaqin Ms 20l Integrated Vaccum Tube Amplifier , Yaqin , Onkyo Tx Sr806 Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Yaqin Mc 100b Kt88 Tube Integrated Amplifier 2 Mode New Pushpull , Axiom M3 V3 Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q900wa Floor Standing Speaker , Yaqin King 2a3 Ms 2a3 Vacuum Tube Hi End Tube Integrated Power Amplifier Pus , Yaqin Ms 300c 300b X2 Vacuum Tube Hi End Tube Integrated Amplifier