Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 838 Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello, and thanks for visiting the

************************************ "20L CLUB" **************************************

For those of you that might be interested in a review of a "Chinese Amp" I think worthy of a chance!!!

What I was looking for in a Tube Amp (or any amp for that matter) is, frequency extension, detail, imaging, tone, accuracy, easy on the ears, looks (to some degree), price, value for money, resale value, long lasting and a decent warranty. A lot to ask!!!

My 2 channel listen room is approximately 11X12, no acoustic treatments as of yet. Speakers are approximately 5' left and right of me.

But.....

After much research and extensive reading on 2 channel and tube amps, I decided to make the plunge in becoming a 'Tubey'/2 channel listener. And, last week I received the Yaqin MS-20L Integrated Vacuum Amplifier which plunged me into my entry level introduction to Tube sound.

I didn't know that researching could be this difficult in that there are so many forums to read and just the time to locate pertinent information on a particular product/topic is time consuming.

I first decided on the 10L because the reviews more readily available, but saw that the 20L with more upgrades/money including a remote and Ultra Linear/Triode Mode switchable, upgrades from the 10L and with external bias adjustment.

After reading all the positive reviews on the 10L, I contacted the buyers on ebay only to find the same responses on the 20L.

Finding a 'new' entry level tube amp that is affordable has been difficult, since I learned that ordering from China was iffy!!! So, when I was referred to a Canadian Company called Canadian HiFi on Ebay with 100% rating and excellent customer service that guaranteed quality assurance and tested in Canada before shipment, took the chance. And, I am glad I did!!

The amp arrived in 5 days from Richmond Hill in good condition, and packed well. In opening, I discovered an attractive ,high quality, solidly build nice piece of equipment. Audiophile capacitors and high quality metal precision resistors, aluminum and steel heavy duty chassis, panel, bezels and aluminum output tube cage. (I would post pics, but not sure how, I'll give it a try).

So, I will add this now....I am not a professional reviewer, nor an audiophile!
Not even a good writer, sorry for that!!!

New to tube sound, I wasn't sure what to expect, but had an idea in all the research and comments on tubes. I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED AT ALL. In fact I was somewhat blown away at first " light up ". Maybe it was just the song, but WOW everything was better from top to bottom. The difference was night and day in comparison to the Onk which wasn't bad, but the Yaqin was better/different in all categories.

At first listen, (Pandora One), speakers began to sound bigger than they are, projecting a surprising sound stage, stronger more pronounced mid-range, full, detailed, clear and balanced sound from top to bottom and that is just the start.

I listen to manly stations on Pandora, but one I had added....Exotica/Lounge that I absolutely hated, but with the Yaqin it is now one of my favorites, singers like Nat King Cole, Bert Kaempfert, Johnny Mathis, Martin Denny and the list goes on and on. On the other stations, Chicago, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Beach Boys, Beatles improvements all the way around with the Yaqin. Especially the midrange bold and right on.

I do listen to all types of music. Some of the older songs and some of the new versions all very good on the ears. One particular Tenor Sax artist jumps out at me. Popular in the 40's and 50's (I think), was Ike Quebec and his melodic sax sound was truly amazing. Also I will include Freddy Roach as well.

But first I need to let you know where I am coming from...

I upgraded from an Onkyo 8255 stereo receiver...as I mentioned above I mainly listen to Pandora One, PC music/flac files. And, I might add that the sound with the small speakers wasn't bad at all. Actually very enjoyable.

So, at this point all that I can compare with is this receiver and the one used for theater...Onkyo 806 with Emotiva XPA-5 very good detail surround sound.

The 2 little speakers with the Yaqin, being phased out, are the WAF-1 (pic below) gems that work great in creating an amazing big sound in a small room. Sound is out from my PC Creative audigy sound blaster X-Fi Xtreme Sound Card.

Now....with almost 70 hours everything has improved 50% or more as the tubes break in. I was informed in the manual at least 100 hours with a break every 3 hours. 20 second warm up.

The onkyo was smooth and very nice to listen to, but the Yaqin tube amp is much improved with great detail, crisp upper end, not harsh sounding and amazing bass from my little WAFs.

I wanted to post this to help those like me who are looking for quality sound without breaking the bank. And this new sound I am hearing now is what I call a 'high end entry level amp'.

All hearing is subjective, but, I think I have found quality sound with my new tube amp or at least for now until I can afford one of the biggies!!!

Please feel free to post any comments or reviews.

Below you will find the latest speaker in the 2 channel set-up with the 20L amp, the CAOW1 speakers with Hiquphon OW2 tweet and the Seas C15RLY treated paper woofer. Very nice sound crossover design integrated below adding 4 inches to the original plan of the speaker.

Simply stunning!!!

Thanks,
Rob
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 838 Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Very nice setup. Welcome to tubes!
post #3 of 838 Old 10-18-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbawilly View Post

Very nice setup. Welcome to tubes!

Thanks bubbawilly!!

I am really enjoying this!!! Getting close to 100 hrs and then hopefully find a couple of sets of 5654w/6AK5WB to replace the 6J1s which don't sound to shabby!

The WAFs may be moving to the theater with another pair to go with 3 fronts, then the fun will begin to find a great pair of 2 channel speakers.
post #4 of 838 Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Forgot a 'lights out' pic!!!
LL
post #5 of 838 Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, thought I would give an update.....

Got the GE 5654W NOS/NIB (8) for the front end that replaced the 6J1s.

Also ordered 2 more WAF-1s speakers, so now have broken them in as 4 is needed for the theater surrounds.

Now, on to finding 2 speakers for the PC 2 channel with the Yaqin MS-20L. Pretty much decided on the GR Research N2S to be handmade from a kit.

Back to the new tubes with the new WAF'1s is like a concert hearing the band with the curtain down, then opened. It did open up some and I can hear a definite difference with a more 'at you/near you' sound stage. Definitely added a more full and enveloping sound stage.

And, since my review, I have upgraded to Pandora One and the lossless sound is presents at 192kbps is really wonderful.

This is amp is a really good entry level tube amp. Highly recommend.
post #6 of 838 Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 PM
krs

Congrats! I don't think you can get away with saying "I'm not an audiophile" anymore, but watch out - it's an insidious bug!

BTW, on ordering from China.........I've had great experiences and no bad ones buying Hamilton watches and Canon camera gear from sellers listing in ebay who are located in Sigapore, Hong Kong and Mainland China. It's not always low cost shipping and there's an extended wait period but in all cases I've been able to obtain genuine warranted items at very nice prices.
post #7 of 838 Old 11-17-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs View Post

Congrats! I don't think you can get away with saying "I'm not an audiophile" anymore, but watch out - it's an insidious bug!

Ha Ha!! I am a ways from being an Audiophile, but I would like to think the process had definitely educated me. I know a lot more than I did when I first started.

I now crave ****BIGGER****BETTER****FASTER****!!!

However, my Yaqin MS-20L will definitely keep me smiling for awhile!!!
post #8 of 838 Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Well, thought I would give an update.....
Got the GE 5654W NOS/NIB (8) for the front end that replaced the 6J1s.

Any audible difference with the new tubes?
post #9 of 838 Old 12-02-2010, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Absolutely!!!! I mentioned this above.....

Like listening to a live band on a stage behind the curtain!!

Then without the curtain...like lifting a veil. More open sound stage.

I guess the best that I can describe the upgrade is that is was just that "an upgrade" and that everything was taken up a knotch or two!!!

All 8 tubes were 30.00 delivered from 39redfern from ebay a great man to deal with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GE-6AK5-5654W-EF...item3a60f21cae

Everything that I have read dictates an upgrade as the 6J1s are not that great.

Hope this helps!

Did you pick up the 20L?
post #10 of 838 Old 12-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the reply...i guess i should have read a bit closer! The reason i asked is because i just received a Yaqin tube buffer and am looking to do a bit of tube rolling.
post #11 of 838 Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchcahah View Post

Thanks for the reply...i guess i should have read a bit closer! The reason i asked is because i just received a Yaqin tube buffer and am looking to do a bit of tube rolling.

Not familiar with Tube Buffers...how do they work? Are they used with a tube amp or not?

Thanks!
post #12 of 838 Old 12-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Tube buffers can be used with either tube amps or solid state. I've had a Yaqin buffer for a couple of months. It's been fun to play around with, but I don't know that it will be staying in my system. It's pleasant to listen through, but it does add some distortion. The sound is a little cleaner without the buffer, at least on my system. I've only tried the stock tube and an Amperex so far. So far the tubed gear I've heard (which isn't much, just the buffer and a couple of Mac amps) hasn't given the WOW factor that I've heard so many people talk about. I might just be a solid state guy for personal preference.
post #13 of 838 Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppman99 View Post

Tube buffers can be used with either tube amps or solid state. I've had a Yaqin buffer for a couple of months. It's been fun to play around with, but I don't know that it will be staying in my system. It's pleasant to listen through, but it does add some distortion. The sound is a little cleaner without the buffer, at least on my system. I've only tried the stock tube and an Amperex so far. So far the tubed gear I've heard (which isn't much, just the buffer and a couple of Mac amps) hasn't given the WOW factor that I've heard so many people talk about. I might just be a solid state guy for personal preference.

Yeah, it could be that you are use to high quality SS amps. Me on the other hand have only had Onkyos, but it seems the source is about 50% the sound.

And if you are getting distortion, that would be a no no!

Because the advantage of the Tubes is the full live sound stage experience intertwining the reverberation is in my opinion an experience like no other.

And what is so interesting is that I am so new to tubes!

The Yaqin is hooked up to my Audigy SC via a Monoprice RCA/stereo plug and it seems that I getting absolutely an amazing sound.

I do have an Emotiva XPA-5 in the theater with the Onkyo 806! Hopefully soon I can compare that system with the PC one with the 20L. That of course is when I get decent speakers in there.

Listening is subjective and there are so many elements to the end result. Maybe you need to save your pennies...(like I did) LOL and get a 20L and give it a try. It is so pure and clean in Triode mode, I can hardly stand it!!!

I think it is more than an entry level amp!

Thanks!
post #14 of 838 Old 12-04-2010, 09:16 AM
krs

I've been interested in the Chinese made tube equipment for a little while, and in reading assorted specifications, i.e.: signal to noise, THD, frequency response range, etc. I've seen some pretty incredible numbers. Frequency ranges far beyond the range of average human capability to detect, S/N claims exceeding 100db, and THD as low as .0003%. For the cost of the equipment such specs. are unusual, to say the least.

Woodsart, your experiences and reports have become important to me....Thank you!

Realizing that the experience of sound is more than a sum total of any equipment specification, I still would like to ask if, in your research for your Yaqin amp, you found independent test reports which tended to support the claims of the manufacturers or the various marketers of these products? Do you know of any agency or standard of control over the business practices of the makers or importers of this gear?

I'm asking because I've just received a new Asus Xonar Essence STX (The ESSENCE of Sound!) soundcard that has fine specifications listed on it's box that have been generally supported by testing done in Stereophile magazine during a 'road test'. I'm hoping to put together a nice computer-sourced two channel stereo sound system, and have apparently now got a good output source. So it's on to an amplifier method. From what you've been saying the answer may have been Yaqin at me but not heard before now.

My CDs are ripped and ready to go, and I'm also looking around at FM tuners.
post #15 of 838 Old 12-04-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've been interested in the Chinese made tube equipment for a little while, and in reading assorted specifications, i.e.: signal to noise, THD, frequency response range, etc. I've seen some pretty incredible numbers. Frequency ranges far beyond the range of average human capability to detect, S/N claims exceeding 100db, and THD as low as .0003%. For the cost of the equipment such specs. are unusual, to say the least.

Woodsart, your experiences and reports have become important to me....Thank you!

You are very welcome....I meant every word of it and the experiences of musical pleasures continue!!!

I also need to ask you...have you listen to a tube amp before?

Realizing that the experience of sound is more than a sum total of any equipment specification, I still would like to ask if, in your research for your Yaqin amp, you found independent test reports which tended to support the claims of the manufacturers or the various marketers of these products? Do you know of any agency or standard of control over the business practices of the makers or importers of this gear?

Yes, listening is subjective and to one's own liking.

The only research I have is the reviews I have read. I have not read any test reports other than the description on the sellers website.

The only negative thing I found in my search for a tube amp is that most would be concerned about ordering from China. But, that was solved when I found a company in Canada who sold them. I do not think there are any agencies that monitor this type of equipment that is shipped from abroad. At least to the US, which is where I live.

I'm asking because I've just received a new Asus Xonar Essence STX (The ESSENCE of Sound!) soundcard that has fine specifications listed on it's box that have been generally supported by testing done in Stereophile magazine during a 'road test'. I'm hoping to put together a nice computer-sourced two channel stereo sound system, and have apparently now got a good output source. So it's on to an amplifier method. From what you've been saying the answer may have been Yaqin at me but not heard before now.

If you are trying to put together a great 2 channel sound the Asus would be a good choice and is that the one with the Burr-Brown codecs? If so that is the one I would like to get as well. I have an Audigy Sound Card for now.

I highly recommend a Yaqin because I am very please with it's performance as well as many people. I have not heard any negative comments about the Yaqin 10L or the 20L Tube Amp. All reviews I read were very positive and more so with changing out the front tubes and that some reviewers have owned one for 3 or more years without a problem!

I also recommend purchasing the Amp from Canadian HiFi from Song who has 100% rating on Ebay. All units are checked before leaving Canada to insure functionality. Below is the Link.

http://stores.ebay.com/Canadian-HiFi-Online

I would like to get a review from you when you get the new sound card hooked up.

My CDs are ripped and ready to go, and I'm also looking around at FM tuners.

I listen to Pandora One (the paid subscription), 192kbps music program through my PC. It sounds amazing through the Yaqin. I can just imagine using the Asus card that you have.

I hope I have answered some of your questions, but if you are interested in an entry level great sounding amp, then I recommend the 20L as I am very pleased with and intend to enjoy it for a long time.
post #16 of 838 Old 12-05-2010, 05:40 PM
krs

Very good, and Thanks much for your thorough response!

I'm a little non-plussed at the moment as the installation of the Asus board seems to have created a myriad of conflicts. The odd thing is that it played fine through my desktop Cambridge Soundworks speaker system even while I was/am unable to get this computer to work in any other usual way. This is the first time today (since 3:00 am) that I've been able to get IE to open, and I had to do that with a new install through MSN of a version configured for use with MSN/bing etc. I don't normally use MSN even though it is the service provided by my provider and usually just ignore it's icon. So this is a mess right now and because of that a bad time for me to be participating in such interesting learning experiences!

You must have run across these folks: http://www.pacificvalve.us/index.html ?

I have the impression that their prices may be somewhat high but they do offer free shipping and perhaps more importantly they have a pretty good amount of information about a wide selection of these products.

Anyway, for now my presence will be tenuous but I've never let a computer defeat me and will not succumb to these idiocycrasies now. It's just so durned tedious!

Thanks Again, Woodsart.
post #17 of 838 Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very good, and Thanks much for your thorough response!

I'm a little non-plussed at the moment as the installation of the Asus board seems to have created a myriad of conflicts. The odd thing is that it played fine through my desktop Cambridge Soundworks speaker system even while I was/am unable to get this computer to work in any other usual way. This is the first time today (since 3:00 am) that I've been able to get IE to open, and I had to do that with a new install through MSN of a version configured for use with MSN/bing etc. I don't normally use MSN even though it is the service provided by my provider and usually just ignore it's icon. So this is a mess right now and because of that a bad time for me to be participating in such interesting learning experiences!

You must have run across these folks: http://www.pacificvalve.us/index.html ?

Yes, I have heard of pacific valve, they are a good company.

I have the impression that their prices may be somewhat high but they do offer free shipping and perhaps more importantly they have a pretty good amount of information about a wide selection of these products.

This is what you were looking for information of a product by a reputable company, right?

Anyway, for now my presence will be tenuous but I've never let a computer defeat me and will not succumb to these idiocycrasies now. It's just so durned tedious!

Good luck on that one. I let my son handle any installation or upgrade on my PC, as I do not have the skill for that.

Thanks Again, Woodsart.

You're welcome
post #18 of 838 Old 12-06-2010, 10:09 AM
krs

I'm up again, computerwise. Seems to have been a Win7/64 bit issue that caused Media Monkey to run incorrectly and wreak assorted mayhem. Removing the program was the beginning od the path to computer normalcy

Woodsart,

Yes, the sort of info in the Valve & Electric site is some of what I'm interested to read but they seem to carry only two Yaqin products, both 'buffers'. It's no place to compare Yaqin amplifiers.
post #19 of 838 Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm up again, computerwise. Seems to have been a Win7/64 bit issue that caused Media Monkey to run incorrectly and wreak assorted mayhem. Removing the program was the beginning od the path to computer normalcy

Woodsart,

Yes, the sort of info in the Valve & Electric site is some of what I'm interested to read but they seem to carry only two Yaqin products, both 'buffers'. It's no place to compare Yaqin amplifiers.

Great to hear. Please let me know how the Asus SC sounds in comparison when everything is installed correctly and running with your new tube amp.

Thanks!
post #20 of 838 Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 AM

Bought one of these, get's delivered next week, can't wait. I like the Shuguang EL34-B's a lot so I'll leave them in for now. How do the stock 6J1's sound in the amp?
post #21 of 838 Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProampFan View Post
Bought one of these, get's delivered next week, can't wait. I like the Shuguang EL34-B's a lot so I'll leave them in for now. How do the stock 6J1's sound in the amp?

Yeah!!, that's great, excellent!

I don't think I could go back to SS in this price range, music might sound better with a 3K to 5K SS, but for now I am loving tube amps.

Everything in the amp sounded great after break-in as you can tell above, however, I began to read and found that the 6J1's were easily and inexpensively replaced. 30.00 (8) GE 5654ws made a very good improvement and how I know that is I had an issue with popping and now finding out it is the power issues or outside surges or something else.

Anyway, I did several things including reinstalling the 6J1s thinking that maybe it was the 5654s....

And then was when I noticed the dull sounding the stock tubes were to me, I replaced them back with the GE 5654Ws. Viola much better soundstage and better everything from top to bottom.

I will also be replacing the stock EL34-Bs as well very soon with the Genelax Gold Lion KT77s, but they are pricey about 200.00 for quads. But everything I have read convinced me.

There are several that I think and have read that would improve over the EL34-Bs.

But....I can honestly say for now I am very, very happy with the sound, especially with Pandora One. I can live with it just as it is.

Of course all listening is subjective.

Thanks for posting.

Rob
post #22 of 838 Old 01-07-2011, 12:03 PM

I have 2 Yaqin MC-10L's that I'm really happy with. I like the fact that this has a remote control, UL and Triode, headphone jack.
You got that right about tube amps!!!! I sold off the SS amp's and pre's (nothing really high end btw) and I haven't looked back.
I'll check out the GE's. I'm also looking at RCA's too. Any thoughts on the Russian military version of the 6J1's?
Even though I like the Shuguang's EL34-B's, I'm gonna roll some 6P3S-E's Russian military just because I can't help myself Down the line I might take the plunge and get the 6CA7-Z Shuguang Treasures series.
post #23 of 838 Old 01-07-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have 2 Yaqin MC-10L's that I'm really happy with. I like the fact that this has a remote control, UL and Triode, headphone jack.
You got that right about tube amps!!!! I sold off the SS amp's and pre's (nothing really high end btw) and I haven't looked back.
I'll check out the GE's. I'm also looking at RCA's too. Any thoughts on the Russian military version of the 6J1's?
Even though I like the Shuguang's EL34-B's, I'm gonna roll some 6P3S-E's Russian military just because I can't help myself Down the line I might take the plunge and get the 6CA7-Z Shuguang Treasures series.
I bought it for the remote, but really it not worth much, since there is no on/off button, just Aux 1, 2, 3 and 4 volume control.

I like the style of the 20L more and also looks great with the cage off too.

But the Triode is what I liked about it as well. The 10Ls has a high rating.

I heard positive things about the Russian 6J1s, but have no experience.

So the 6P3S-Es will work in the El34-Bs? Didn't know that. I thought our choices were.....EL34/6CA7/KT77 tubes.

I will have to check out the Shuguang Treasures. You will have to tell me more about these other tubes that will work in the 20L.

Got any links?

Thanks
post #24 of 838 Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Out of curiosity do you find that the bias drifts around on the tubes? Pity that s/h is so much but it's a sharp looking unit.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #25 of 838 Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Chu Gai,

I have had my unit about 2 months and checked the bias and it was right on.

I was also told that this unit's bias was prechecked and did not need to be checked for 6 months or if I did tube rolling.

To be honest I would know if it drifts or not. Don't have any idea about that, and if it did, I wouldn't be able to tell as the sound is very consistent, especially with Pandora One.

Checking Bias is very easy and takes little time.

In comparison I think 600 delivered for the 20L and 500 delivered for the 10L are extremely affordable in comparison for most that run close to 2,000 and up.

And dealing with a 100% ebayer who QCs all units before leaving and is great to deal with, it definitely was worth a chance to take for me.

Maybe someday i will get one of those high end ones as they must sound fantastic, but for now the 20L satisfies me completely.

I actually would have been happy with the 10L.

Thanks,

Rob
post #26 of 838 Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:

So the 6P3S-Es will work in the El34-Bs? Got any links?
Thanks

Yes. I have them in what I believe is the 3rd generation MC-10L. The latest generation MC-10L that I own has tubes sockets that are too recessed into the chassis so they wouldn't fit in that amp. The base of the tube is "coin base" (short tube base) and since the tube socket is recessed and the hole in the chassis is not wide enough, it would not seat all the way in. This is a rock solid tube and very inexpensive. I would recommend a quad from Jim McShane.

Upon further review of the MS-20L pics, it appears that the holes are a bit wider and the tube base of the EL34B is only half way into the socket so perhaps the Russian tubes will seat all the way in.

As far as the 6AK5's in the preamp section, I'm still getting my learn on but it seems the RCA's are a good tube. I'm researching the Russian 61NP-EV's to see what kind of feedback these are getting.

The amps are an outstanding value IMO, the bottom end does NOT roll off, have sloppy bass, etc. contrary to popular belief.. and the midrange is simply outstanding. Bias is rock stable. One thing to keep in mind is that the power tube sockets are TIGHT, so if you're gonna roll tubes be prepared for a wrestling match.
post #27 of 838 Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes. I have them in what I believe is the 3rd generation MC-10L. The latest generation MC-10L that I own has tubes sockets that are too recessed into the chassis so they wouldn't fit in that amp. The base of the tube is "coin base" (short tube base) and since the tube socket is recessed and the hole in the chassis is not wide enough, it would not seat all the way in. This is a rock solid tube and very inexpensive. I would recommend a quad from Jim McShane.

Upon further review of the MS-20L pics, it appears that the holes are a bit wider and the tube base of the EL34B is only half way into the socket so perhaps the Russian tubes will seat all the way in.

As far as the 6AK5's in the preamp section, I'm still getting my learn on but it seems the RCA's are a good tube. I'm researching the Russian 61NP-EV's to see what kind of feedback these are getting.

The amps are an outstanding value IMO, the bottom end does NOT roll off, have sloppy bass, etc. contrary to popular belief.. and the midrange is simply outstanding. Bias is rock stable. One thing to keep in mind is that the power tube sockets are TIGHT, so if you're gonna roll tubes be prepared for a wrestling match.

I will look into the Jim McShane tubes. Yeah, I read reviews on the RCAs as well and they looked good. I can't remember why I went with the GEs. Maybe cost and availability.

Yes, you are right is was a wrestling match. Was scared of smashing them for pulling so hard. But finally they gave in.

Now I just have to work out this noise issue, but I am not worried, just want to get it done as I will be getting my newly built speakers the end of next week for my new 2 channel listening area. Ecstatic about that. And The WAF-1 speakers will find their way into the theater for surrounds.

So, have you ordered the 20L yet? And if so, please keep me posted as to what you do with the tubes and the results. I am very interested.

Thanks,

Rob
post #28 of 838 Old 01-08-2011, 07:58 AM

[quote=woodsart;19789275]Now I just have to work out this noise issue, /QUOTE]

Rob
What noise issue are you having? I read through the posts and couldn't find what you were referring to.
Mike
post #29 of 838 Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well...it is a new thing and just started about 2 weeks ago, but I am controlling it by having the PC or Creative interface volume turn to 70%.

It seems that the popping/crackling sound in both speakers is worse in the morning and late at night. It's never very bad just annoying.

This volume reduction has eliminated most of it. I think it is noise in the lines comcast/PC/house plugs, etc., etc. It has improved a lot.

So, I think I will rule out tubes, really it could be many outside issues rather than the amp.

What is you feeling on this?

Otherwise it is sounds fantastic!
post #30 of 838 Old 01-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Well...it is a new thing and just started about 2 weeks ago, but I am controlling it by having the PC or Creative interface volume turn to 70%.

It seems that the popping/crackling sound in both speakers is worse in the morning and late at night. It's never very bad just annoying.

This volume reduction has eliminated most of it. I think it is noise in the lines comcast/PC/house plugs, etc., etc. It has improved a lot.

So, I think I will rule out tubes, really it could be many outside issues rather than the amp.

What is you feeling on this?

Otherwise it is sounds fantastic!

Have you tried disconnecting the PC connection to the amp to see if the noise goes away? I believe the amp is sensitive to various things. For example, last night I had my laptop VGA cable connected to my flat screen TV and there was a very noticeable hum heard through the speakers...even though the audio portion was not connected!!! Another thing that introduced noise was when I was talking on my cell phone and the amp was making weird sounds whenever I got close to the amp.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

Tags
Yaqin Ms 20l Integrated Vaccum Tube Amplifier , Yaqin , Onkyo Tx Sr806 Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Yaqin Mc 100b Kt88 Tube Integrated Amplifier 2 Mode New Pushpull , Axiom M3 V3 Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q900wa Floor Standing Speaker , Yaqin King 2a3 Ms 2a3 Vacuum Tube Hi End Tube Integrated Power Amplifier Pus , Yaqin Ms 300c 300b X2 Vacuum Tube Hi End Tube Integrated Amplifier
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page