post #91 of 101 Old 01-04-2014, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite View Post

Hi Orangevee

for high end audiophile recordings with a singer, these 3 are i.m.o. the very best at the moment.
The first one is the new Doug McLeod "There's a Crowd' available at HD tracks as a 24/176 download.
and great music it is!

The last 2 are from the small Amsterdam audiophile label Sound Liaison,a new label that has gotten some great reviews in the audiophile press and forums.
The 2 albums I think you probably would like from that label are ''Torn'' and a ''Thousand Shades of Blue'',from the Dutch/Portuguese singer Carmen Gomes.
Both albums can be bought straight from the label, as Wav 24/96 Studio Master Downloads.The mp3 preview on the site allready sounds amazing.
http://www.soundliaison.com/

All 3 albums are old fashioned one room recordings.
The Sound Liaison label even let the musicians play without headphones, in order to have a better balance,and there by being able to use very little or no compression at all.
Rad Bennett from SoundStage! called ''Thousand Shades of Blue";
and about the Sound Liaison recordings in general;
And HIFI.NL called the music and recording quality of ''Torn''
I read an interview with Sound Liaison founder Frans de Rond,that Sound Liaison split any profits they make 50/50 with the musicians,that I find remarkable after having read many a biography of the jazz greats and how they got i.e.50$ for a recording session(Bill Evans),that later has proven of historical and great financial value.

anyhow these are my suggestions,very informative thread by the way!

I agree, I love those recordings.
I think they are among the best of the best audiophile recordings available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 01-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Listen to every song on these lists, I'm blown away at how good they sound. I just started looking at playlists on grooveshark like this so I'll eventually find more. Incredible what a 320kbps mp3 can do:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/Good+Recordings+And+Music/80180059

http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/Audiophile+Music/82501596
post #93 of 101 Old 01-06-2014, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Very nice play list indeed.
Grooveshark are getting into trouble with the copyright laws though,and may not exist for long anymore.several countries has blocked the site.

see this article;
http://torrentfreak.com/groovesharks-future-in-doubt-after-settlements-with-big-music-130517/

I just hope that we on this forum go and get and pay for the original download/CD/SACD,if we do find a tune or an album that we do like.
post #94 of 101 Old 08-02-2014, 05:59 PM

the latest two Sound Liaison downloads are superb. I hope the little independent will be able to keep up that level of recording but so far so good. http://www.soundliaison.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite View Post
Hi Orangevee

for high end audiophile recordings with a singer, these 3 are i.m.o. the very best at the moment.
The first one is the new Doug McLeod "There's a Crowd' available at HD tracks as a 24/176 download.Quoteoug says: "Making this album was different than any other one I've done in the past," recalls MacLeod about the sessions. "They put Jimi, Denny and me on this huge soundstage at Skywalker Sound in Marin County and we sat around in a circle where we could see each other. We played live, no overdubs, just three guys playing some music together."

and great music it is!

The last 2 are from the small Amsterdam audiophile label Sound Liaison,a new label that has gotten some great reviews in the audiophile press and forums.
The 2 albums I think you probably would like from that label are ''Torn'' and a ''Thousand Shades of Blue'',from the Dutch/Portuguese singer Carmen Gomes.
Both albums can be bought straight from the label, as Wav 24/96 Studio Master Downloads.The mp3 preview on the site allready sounds amazing.

The Sound Liaison label even let the musicians play without headphones, in order to have a better balance,and there by being able to use very little or no compression at all.
Rad Bennett from SoundStage! called ''Thousand Shades of Blue";Quote:this intimate effort is one of the best and best-sounding jazz vocal albums to come along in many a day.

and about the Sound Liaison recordings in general;Quote:And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.

And HIFI.NL called the music and recording quality of ''Torn''Quote:an absolute must have.

I read an interview with Sound Liaison founder Frans de Rond,that Sound Liaison split any profits they make 50/50 with the musicians,that I find remarkable after having read many a biography of the jazz greats and how they got i.e.50$ for a recording session(Bill Evans),that later has proven of historical and great financial value.

post #95 of 101 Old 08-03-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRizzy View Post
I am always surprised when I read suggestions for Audiophile music, no one ever mentions these, and they are some of my faves. I figured I would give you some you haven't seen on every blog. I know this is an old post, but it is a commonly searched one.<br><br>
Imogen Heap- pretty much anything but I love "Headlock", "Hide and Seek", "Clear the Area". "Have you got it in you" has some really cool low bass. VERY low. Great imaging.<br><br>
Jesse Cook- pretty much anything but I love "Into the Dark" and "Byzantium Underground", "Closer to Madness"<br><br>
Bill Withers- "Use Me Up"<br><br>
Gramatik - "Illusion of Choice" will really tell you how much control of your lows your speaker has. "Talkbox Intended" is killer too.<br><br>
You are gonna laugh but I think "Mr Roboto" and "Lets groove" both put any speaker through its paces and will sound stunning on a great system.<br><br>
Melody Gardot's "Goodnite" "Lisboa" and "Your Heart is Black as night"<br><br>
Roger Miller's "King of the Road" is amazingly good as well.<br><br>
Tristan Prettyman "Never Say Never" is one of my favorite songs in a long time and the quality is stellar.<br><br>
Al DiMeola "Race With The Devil"<br><br>
Riverdance "Dueling Violins"<br><br>
Braveheart theme "For the love of a prince" builds like no other symphony I have heard and the clarity of it is amazing. The immensity of it is something to behold.<br><br><br>
Perhaps a few of these will be enjoyable for you all.
yes indeed Bill Withers, I had forgotten how good that tune sounded. thx!

post #96 of 101 Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just FYI, nativedsd.com offers free DSD downloads. The thing that makes that site different is that they only offer music that was recorded in DSD. That's going to mean classical and jazz. If that's your sort of thing definitely check them out!
post #97 of 101 Old 08-04-2014, 11:10 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Norman Brown - Stay With Me. Fusion jazz recorded very very well.
post #98 of 101 Old 08-04-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacc7 View Post
Just FYI, nativedsd.com offers free DSD downloads. The thing that makes that site different is that they only offer music that was recorded in DSD. That's going to mean classical and jazz. If that's your sort of thing definitely check them out!
very interesting, thanks.
Quote:
The stated objective of nativedsd.com is to offer those recordings originally recorded in DSD format. We've further expanded that to PCM recordings (DXD included) that are recorded natively to the release format. That includes very few releases, notably Reference Recordings (coming to the site soon) recorded with the Pacific Microsonics PM2 ADC, and 2L, who appear to be the only label recording in DXD. All Channel Classics recordings are analog mixed at the session, establishing the stereo balance and mix
post #99 of 101 Old 12-25-2014, 05:11 PM

Sound Liaison DSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite View Post
Hi Orangevee

The first one is the new Doug McLeod "There's a Crowd' available at HD tracks as a 24/176 download.Quoteoug says: "Making this album was different than any other one I've done in the past," recalls MacLeod about the sessions. "They put Jimi, Denny and me on this huge soundstage at Skywalker Sound in Marin County and we sat around in a circle where we could see each other. We played live, no overdubs, just three guys playing some music together."

and great music it is!

Rad Bennett from SoundStage! called ''Thousand Shades of Blue";Quote:this intimate effort is one of the best and best-sounding jazz vocal albums to come along in many a day.

and about the Sound Liaison recordings in general;Quote:And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.

And HIFI.NL called the music and recording quality of ''Torn''Quote:an absolute must have.

And now in DSD and they are having 25% off this week. Sound Liaison.
post #100 of 101 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 205
RE: Bill Withers.

Interestingly, Withers hasn't released music for a couple decades but is still alive and still sings/plays, but only casually with friends, for his own enjoyment, etc.
Apparently he lost all interest or desire in being a commercial recording artist or live performer.

Last edited by CruelInventions; Yesterday at 11:21 AM.
post #101 of 101 Old Today, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mila View Post
And now in DSD and they are having 25% off this week. Sound Liaison.
Yes they are in DSD but given they are native 24/96 recordings, why get them in DSD?

Louder is NOT better!
Reply 2-Channel Audio