Stereo PC Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been roaming the forums for a while now trying to find a definate answer to my question with no luck, so i decided to just ask. My appologies if you have had to answer it 100 times already.

Okay so what im after is a good budget stereo system simply for my pc nothing else but im a complete novice when it comes to audio. It will be used purley for music, i use headphones when playing games and dont watch movies on my pc.

I have a very cheap soundcard but it does have a s/pdif out(no analogue line out). I was thinking of getting an Onkyo A9155 and a set of mission mx1's. However the Onkyo does not have a s/pdif connection. As i understand it this means i need a DAC? would using a small external DAC like a CYP AU-D3 do the job or would i end up with rubbish sound quaility. Also would the fact i have a cheap sound card have any effect on the quaility if im just using the s/pdif out?

I have a budget of around £350 for the whole system and i understand for this money i wont have anything amazing but im just after something more pleasent than my current multimedia speakers for music listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirley View Post

I have been roaming the forums for a while now trying to find a definate answer to my question with no luck, so i decided to just ask. My appologies if you have had to answer it 100 times already.

Okay so what im after is a good budget stereo system simply for my pc nothing else but im a complete novice when it comes to audio. It will be used purley for music, i use headphones when playing games and dont watch movies on my pc.

I have a very cheap soundcard but it does have a s/pdif out(no analogue line out). I was thinking of getting an Onkyo A9155 and a set of mission mx1's. However the Onkyo does not have a s/pdif connection. As i understand it this means i need a DAC? would using a small external DAC like a CYP AU-D3 do the job or would i end up with rubbish sound quaility. Also would the fact i have a cheap sound card have any effect on the quaility if im just using the s/pdif out?

I have a budget of around £350 for the whole system and i understand for this money i wont have anything amazing but im just after something more pleasent than my current multimedia speakers for music listening.

I do not know prices in UK. But here is an example of what you can get in USA:

Sound card:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...phile2496.html

or

http://www.emu.com/products/product....&product=20022

Active speakers:

http://www.krksys.com/product_rokit.php

or

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...X5aDeluxe.html

On-line price for package (card and pair of speakers) is below $500 on this side of Atlantic.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-02-2010, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thank you for yor reply. Are active speakers a better choice quaility wise in this senario? also please can someone answer my question about s/pdif, does a cheap sound card matter if you use the s/pdif out or will it just passthrough?
post #4 of 4 Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirley View Post

thank you for yor reply. Are active speakers a better choice quaility wise in this senario? also please can someone answer my question about s/pdif, does a cheap sound card matter if you use the s/pdif out or will it just passthrough?

Active speakers will save space on your table. Also most of them are designed for close range (from 3 feet) listening, which is usually a case for computer based setup.

S/PDIFF is pass-through in most cards. But good sound card with analog output is cheaper than a combination of sound card and external DAC. External DAC is useful only if you are building surrond (5.1, 7.1) system.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page