AVS Forum banner

Props, Meh, or Face Palm?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  m-heat 
#1 ·
So I recently delved into the audio portion of home theater after focusing mostly on displays. I decided 2.1 would suit my needs. My needs being simplicity, budget friendly, neighbor friendly.(One bed apt)

Not a dedicated audiophile...yet...but I know good sound when I hear it.

Here's what I just bought and setup:

Denon AVR-391

Klipsch Icon VS-14 (2)

12 gauge speaker wire - 6 ft of it for each speaker.

The AVR was $150 and the speakers were $255 after my xmas gift cards. When my next influx of cash arrives, I am taking a seriously hard look at the PSW-111 for $195.

So my question to anyone that's listening is: Is this a worthy 2.1 set-up? Did I do my homework correctly? Or did I get ripped off? How much better could I have done for $400 thus far? ($600 after sub)

Attachment 199034

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythrenegade /forum/post/19877712

Do you like the way it sounds? That is far more important than anything any of us would say...

Denon makes good stuff, even on the low end. I love the sound of Klipsch speakers, others don't like them. If you do, you did well!

Joel

I gotta say yes.

I think it sounds great, but I don't have much to compare with. It's just missing that nice low end that the sub will bring.

#4 ·
Polk does make good subs. If you're trying to stay on budget maybe look at the psw110 instead of the 111 bigger driver and cheaper (usually)

#5 ·
The setup looks nice, and if you're enjoying it then keep doing so. My guess is that over time the effect you're getting from using those surround speakers as your mains will wear out, and you'll want something that produces a more proper and natural sounding soundstage.

But until that happens, just enjoy

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S /forum/post/19892762

The setup looks nice, and if you're enjoying it then keep doing so. My guess is that over time the effect you're getting from using those surround speakers as your mains will wear out, and you'll want something that produces a more proper and natural sounding soundstage.

But until that happens, just enjoy

Do you mean the speaker will physically wear from being used up front or the effect will where out to my ears? Recently I have been a little concerned about damaging these surrounds by using them as mains. I have no idea if that's possible but it wouldn't surprise me either way.

#7 ·
They shouldn't wear out due to use as fronts. A speaker is a speaker placement determines designation. Those speakers are not going to give you the best stereo effect, I mean your soundstage may not be as accurate with that particular speaker pair vs say bookshelf speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.