Need expert advice on speaker size vs room size - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am considering both the Dali Helicon 800 or the Acoustic Zen Adagio but need some expert advice on which speaker would work best in this room. I have a drawing of my room here to try to make the discussion a little easier:

My concerns basically are this. My top speaker choice for some time has been the Dali Helicon 800, with the AZ Adagio being my second-choice speaker. I love the looks of them both. But I do hear some reports about the difficulties the Helicon 800 can pose in controlling bass in some rooms. My room is sort of odd in that the main listening area is not huge, but the room itself is not closed off either - it is basically connected to an adjacent Rec Room area. The entire area is fairly large, but when people ask me what size my listening room is, I really don't know how to answer. The Listening Area of this room is carpeted. The Rec Room is finished with ceramic tile. The entire area is fitted with an acoustical tile ceiling that is set at a height of 8ft.

Would I have trouble controlling the bass of a large speaker like the Dali Helicon 800 in this room? On the other hand the AZ Adagio is a bit smaller overall, and could possible be positioned a little closer to the rear wall. The dynamic range of these 2 speakers are almost the same (I find this almost incredulous, as the Helicon 800 has dual 8 woofers compared to the Adagios dual 6.5 drivers - but I am not a speaker designer). Would I be missing out on some performance going with the cheaper/smaller Adagios?

BTW, I listen mostly to rock (all types from aggressive to acoustic folk) and electronic music of all sorts. Your comments and discussion are all welcome. Thanks a bunch everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Liked: 10
I think the 800 may be a little much for the space. Have you considered the Helicon 400?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wywires View Post

I think the 800 may be a little much for the space. Have you considered the Helicon 400?

I have considered the Helicon 400. But whenever I do, thats when I start to think maybe the Acoustic Zen Adagio might be a better choice. The Helicon 400 and 800 cabinet sizes are not all that different depth-wise. So in either case, it can only be pulled so far away from the rear wall. At the price point of the Helicon 400, I might rather opt for the Adagio with a shallower cabinet.

That said I am still considering either the Helicon 800 vs the Adagio. Others have told me that my room is effectively quite large from the standpoint of bass energy (must be going by the overall dimensions of 25' x 28'), and that the larger speaker might be better for a 'fuller' bass sound.

That may be true, but I dont know - the room overall is fairly large, but the area where I do most of my listening is more of a medium size. Thats why I'm confused.

Any other opinions on this?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM

I would just like to make a side comment. I would highly recommend turning your setup 90 degrees counter clockwise for several reasons. I can upload a picture if you want. Also, I would recommend using the larger speaker. It does not matter what the size of your listening area is, what matters is the entire space of the floor plan for proper bass.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-27-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420 View Post

I would just like to make a side comment. I would highly recommend turning your setup 90 degrees counter clockwise for several reasons. I can upload a picture if you want. Also, I would recommend using the larger speaker. It does not matter what the size of your listening area is, what matters is the entire space of the floor plan for proper bass.

Unfortunately it would be difficult turn the setup 90 degrees as you mention. In this other configuration, one wall is taken up by numerous windows. And the opposite wall has a door almost dead center leading to another room. I guess the door itself doesnt necessarily make it impossible to place speakers on that side, but if by chance, I ever do a home theater, the door would be pretty much exactly where the screen should go.

As far as proper bass, a couple of people have now mentioned what you say about the entire room area contributing to the proper bass. Thats part of the info I'm looking for. However, another consideration is how far from the speakers you should be sitting for proper soundstaging, imaging, etc. In the drawing I provided it shows the seating area 9-10 ft away. Thinking about it more and it will probably be more like 8-9 feet away if the speakers are placed a couple feet away from the rear wall (the speakers themselves have a large depth of almost 2 feet). So I also have to consider how far away I should be sitting, and if having to sit closer than optimal will have a detmimental effect on the sound.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-27-2011, 04:19 PM

I'm no expert (?) but i think you must consider the smallest dimensions that you have given. I don't know the 800s, but I would hope you are considering stand speakers only. And, you really should mount acoustic panels on the left or "closed" wall side of your listening room.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afsalerno View Post

I'm no expert (?) but i think you must consider the smallest dimensions that you have given. I don't know the 800s, but I would hope you are considering stand speakers only. And, you really should mount acoustic panels on the left or "closed" wall side of your listening room.

Thanks for the suggestions. I probably will be putting some acoustical materials behind the speakers at some point. There is also sound-board installed all around that corner area you are referring to. This sound-board is inserted behind the drywall which is installed over it, so I dont know how effective it is at what it is supposed to do being behind something else.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page