Turntable to Speakers: what's in between? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-12-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
greetings, I searched the threads and can't specifically find my answer so if I missed a thread please forgive me.

I currently have my turntable (Denon DP-3000 with Infintity Black Widow Tonearm and an all-I-can-afford Ortofon) connected to my PC via a Bellari VP130 tube phono pre-amp to an Asus Xonar HDav Deluxe soundcard and out to my Logitech z5500 speakers.

My television set up has recently changed due to my ancient LG HTIB dying. I bought a 40" Samsung monitor and connected to my PC and now my computer area has has become my living room, I am typing this from the couch!

I am not able to listen to my TT as much as I would like and want to break it free from the PC.

Currently, I only have the Denon and the Bellari. I am torn between making my own speakers or buying vintage (looking at some interesting Scott Pro-100B's). I own nothing else at this time.

long preamble finished....what goes after the pre-amp? do I go receiver - power amp - speakers? or is it power amp - receiver - speakers?

is an amplifier and receiver the same thing?

can I skip the receiver and just do tt-pre-power-speakers?

anyway, if someone can help and just lay out all the possible components that can go between a turntable and the speakers for me I would be very thankful!

thanks for taking the time to read this ramble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You always need a phono pre between anything unless you have a reciever with a phono stage but the Bellari is likely better than those.

You can go from table to phono pre to reciever to speakers.

You can go table to phono pre to pre amp to amp to speakers.

You can go table to phono pre to Integrated amp to speakers.

A reciever is usually a mostly all in one unit typically includes a fm am tuner aswell as your built in amplifier section.

A integrated amp is a preamp and amp combo usually with no fm am tuner.

A line level pre amp means it has no phono input section and that you would need to add your Bellari or others to boost the phono. With any pre amp you need an outboard amp, your phono gear and cd or other items all wire into the pre, the pre goes out to an amp of your choise then amp to speakers.

A powered set of speakers could work from Bellari if they have a volume control.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the speedy reply!
where would a power amp fit into this equation? my thoughts are that it would be last step before speakers?
also this set up is dedicated to the table only, no cd, no radio, etc....
thanks again!
post #4 of 9 Old 03-13-2011, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Power Ampflier: provides the power to drive your speakers.
Pre-amp: Provides switching between sources, volume control.
Integrated amp: Combines Pre-amp and power amp in one box.
Receiver: Combines pre-amp, power amp, and tuner in one box

In all cases, the source, CD, turntable (through phono-pre), etc connect to the preamp. You can then switch between the different sources, control volume.
Then Pre-amp feeds the Power amp.
The Power amp feeds the speakers.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-13-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Let's make this simple. The chain is:

1. Turntable
2. Phono preamp
3. Preamp
4. Power amp
5. Speakers

You can get the preamp and power amp in the same box as either an integrated amplifier or a receiver. (The latter also includes a tuner.)

One bit of advice: Put most of your money into good speakers.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #6 of 9 Old 03-13-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Depending on how your Logitech speakers are connected, you could connect the phono preamp directly to them (as your Logitech classifies as having a preamplifier and a power amplifier). In order to do this, they would need to be connected via digital to your computer (S/PDIF); then connect their front L/R (green TRS) to the phono preamp's line output. You'll switch to that input on the Logitech control panel, and use the Logitech system to control volume and other settings as well.

Further, as I'm remembering the Logitech having two digital inputs, you should be able to connect it in lieu of your HTIB as well, simply use the other digital input. On the remote you'll switch between the three to go between your turntable, whatever the HTIB was connected to, and your PC.

Now, this will not be the highest possible quality solution, but it doesn't require you to buy anything (unless you need cabling anywhere), and will work perfectly well. It also leaves a single speaker configuration in your room, which may make placement a lot easier.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-13-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate all the replies!

I need to move my turntable to an entirely different area so it needs to break away from the Logitech. All of my reading has suggested what was suggested in this post is that the money should be spent on speakers.

i am just deciding whether to build my own, or buy something vintage and am researching both options. Once speakers are in figured out then I can fill up the space between!

thanks again for all the insight.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-13-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydrew View Post

i am just deciding whether to build my own, or buy something vintage and am researching both options. ....

Not that simple to build your own. More to it than just a box and some speakers mounted in them.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

Not that simple to build your own. More to it than just a box and some speakers mounted in them.

I think this is why I want to go in the home-build, means I get to learn new stuff! I have started learning all about crossover design, etc. As you say, not as easy as some speakers in a box, but really fascinating!
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page