An Audio Cable that Splits From One to Three Way - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if someone had any suggestions on this. I don't think what I am doing is possible but wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas or thoughts. Let me start out by saying that I do know that audio channels can only truly be split two way for stereo, left and right. That's why I'm not so sure they make a cable for what I want to do.

Let me explain the situation. I have some decent Logitech 5.1 surround speakers for my computer. There are three audio jacks that go into the back of my computer, this isn't the problem and things work great.

I have dual monitors hooked up to my computer. On the monitors themselves, I can switch signal source. They can go from analog, to digital, and then to HDMI. I also have my cable TV receiver next to my computer. From the receiver I have an HDMI cable going into one of the monitors. If I want, I can work on the computer on one monitor and watch TV on the other one.

On the back of the monitors there is an audio out port, but only one. So initially I took a single audio cable and hooked it up to the Line In on my computer. For some reason this doesn't sound good at all, even though when I use it for my iPod it sounds great. I found that if I take a Y audio cable combiner and hook one port of it up to the single audio cable from my monitor, then have the other port with one of the three speaker cable jacks plugged into the other port of the Y combiner, I can plug the Y combiner into my computer where the speaker cable was previously plugged into.

This actually works great, and the sound coming from the speakers it is utilizing sounds good. In fact, I don't even need my computer on for the audio coming from my monitor to work, since the Y combiner actually appears to bypass my computer and go directly to the speaker. I can also play sounds normally on my computer at the same time that I have the TV on.

However this is where the problem is. I can only do this to one of the speaker jacks and there are three of them. So either I can only use my front speaker, back speakers, or middle and sub. I can't use all of them at once. So what I was wondering is if there was a cable that I could plug into my monitor that would split the audio three ways. Then I could hook up a Y combiner to each of these three splits, like I did with the single cable coming from the monitor.

I thought about putting a Y splitter on a Y splitter to get it split three way split, but I figured that probably wouldn't work and it might greatly distort the sounds coming from the TV. I could be wrong and I have never tried it before.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I would appreciate it. I have searched the Internet and I can only find two way splitters and not three.

Thanks in advance for any help that someone provides,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zines View Post

I thought about putting a Y splitter on a Y splitter to get it split three way split, but I figured that probably wouldn't work and it might greatly distort the sounds coming from the TV. I could be wrong and I have never tried it before.

This is what I was going to suggest before I got to your sentence. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. It is just connectors and wires and I cannot see why it would distort the sound in any way. Y-splitters are cheap. This is what I would try if I were doing it.

Perfection is unattainable.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-31-2011, 06:57 PM

I don't get it. Why not just go straight from the cable box to the line in and cutout the monitor entirely (IE mute the monitor, still use the hdmi cable, and use a rca-> mini adapter from the analog out of the box to the soundcard line in)
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page