New 2.0 from scratch. - AVS Forum
2-Channel Audio > New 2.0 from scratch.
LFC4TUNE's Avatar LFC4TUNE 12:24 PM 05-08-2011
With EUR6000 to spend what would you get for good sound from a PS3/Iphone/B&W P5's ?
Starting from scratch I need advice because I have never had the money for good sound.
Living in Europe I can't buy or have not heard of many US makes apart from the mass production brands, even those I buy various AV mags.
The room is 5m x5m and I would be sitting 4 m away from the speakers that would be the same distance apart.
I have solid wooden flooring with a Persian carpet,curtains and 2 x 3 seated sofas.
I will be buying at the end of the year or the beginning of next year.
My first thoughts were B&W XT8's( not online anymore) or CM8's with Rotel.
Let loose guys I am open to any ideas.
Thanks Rod.

math-geek's Avatar math-geek 01:22 PM 05-08-2011
Speakers: Dynaudio Contour 1.4s. Amplifier: NAD C375BEE. Source: something decent. You will be on your way to very good sound!
LFC4TUNE's Avatar LFC4TUNE 01:44 PM 05-08-2011
Dynaudio is a brand many recommend on this forum but I have not heard any yet.
The demo I did was with
Canton/Polk/Elac/Quadral and the B&W's.
Thanks for the tip mate.
djkest's Avatar djkest 03:18 PM 05-16-2011
Are Paradigm speakers available in Europe? Paradigm Studio 100 would be in your price range...
Class A's Avatar Class A 03:49 PM 05-16-2011
I just heard some very nice British speakers for the first time w/some good bottom end the line is called Kudos. Excellent fit and finsh was mated up w/a new Perreaux I-80 integrated and Rega P-3 TT. The setup was very impressive.
AJinFLA's Avatar AJinFLA 04:32 PM 05-16-2011
Put the Tannoy Definition DC10T and KEF Reference 203/2 on your audition list.
Both will have very uniform polar response which will interact well with your room. Add subs if you want to smooth the bass over a wide area, or use an amplifier with room eq if it's just you flying solo.

cheers,

AJ
dhoff01's Avatar dhoff01 05:17 PM 05-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC4TUNE View Post

With EUR6000 to spend what would you get for good sound from a PS3/Iphone/B&W P5's ?
Starting from scratch I need advice because I have never had the money for good sound.
Living in Europe I can't buy or have not heard of many US makes apart from the mass production brands, even those I buy various AV mags.
The room is 5m x5m and I would be sitting 4 m away from the speakers that would be the same distance apart.
I have solid wooden flooring with a Persian carpet,curtains and 2 x 3 seated sofas.
I will be buying at the end of the year or the beginning of next year.
My first thoughts were B&W XT8's( not online anymore) or CM8's with Rotel.
Let loose guys I am open to any ideas.
Thanks Rod.

$6000 euro ($8500 us) is a nice amount to play with. There are plenty of options, but what exactly are you looking for? The amount of components you need will dictate to some extent what you want to spend on speakers, etc. A few things to consider:

1. At your price range, I'd look for a separate 2 channel amplifier and dedicated preamp (make it easy on yourself and match them). Or a high quality integrated amp. If you listen to a lot of radio, you can always add a tuner or play it through your computer (see below about this latter option).
2. Solid State or Tube? If this is your first 2 channel system, I'd go with SS. More options, easier to use.
3. Are you interested in playing albums? I'm guessing no, but if yes, you'll need a preamp with phono capabilities or a stand alone phono preamp.
4. Are you planning on using your playstation as your digital source or do you want to upgrade to a better cd player? With your budget, I'd suggest the latter.
5. Are you or will you be interested in playing music from your computer? CDs are a dying breed, so I suggest you purchase something that will give you this option. Your choices are to either buy a cd player with a digital input (e.g. USB or toslink), buy a preamp that has one (less common), or buy a separate stand alone DAC. I'd go with the first option.
6. Are you willing to buy something used? I'd be careful buying used speakers, but you can save yourself an awful lot of money on your components if you choose to go the used route. Audiogon.com is a great starting point.

Once you know what kind of a system you want, I suggest picking your speakers first, then determine what kind of amp/preamp to go along with it (i.e., if you have highly sensitive speakers, you likely won't need a ton of power from your amp). Lastly I'd upgrade your cd player, since you at least have something to use in the meantime.

As far as recommending manufacturers, you'll get more opinions then you'll know what to do with. Your ears are truly the best judge, so don't go on opinion alone. Dynaudio makes quality stuff but wasn't to my taste, I own Canton Reference speakers and personally think there are better speakers out there for the money, and I've owned B&W CDM NTs and they weren't to my taste either, but I wouldn't steer you away from any of these. Some other better known companies to compare are Thiels, Magneplanars, Tannoy, KEF, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, Totem, and Paradigm. That's just scratching the surface. Each will have its own distinctive sound, so listen to as much as you can..

Just my two cents. Good luck!
RaceTripper's Avatar RaceTripper 06:31 PM 05-16-2011
Naim Uniti + Dynaudio Contour S1.4. Has everything you need (CD, DAC, iRadio/DAB, 24/96 streaming). Add a TT for vinyl.
galvs's Avatar galvs 06:43 PM 05-16-2011
Kefs Reference 203 (or even the 205)/2
Europe brand, great speakers.
Any decent (in power range) amp will fit.
Up
Mobile  Desktop