Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2011, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

My local Hi-fi store has a used Mcintosh 301 (only for 6 months) that I can get for $1500 and I am considering buying it as my primary audio transport. However, as the title suggests, I am wondering if the Oppo might serve me better but for less money. I am specifically looking at the analog output of both players.

Playback would be primarily redbook and SACD discs.

I already have an Oppo BDP-80, so the ability to playback blu-rays isn't necessarily a big factor in the decision making process. I also don't have a 3D tv so the BDP-95's HDMI 1.4 compatibility is also a moot point (for now, maybe not down the road).

The advantage of the Mcintosh, that I can see, is it's build quality, variable volume (so I can plug it directly into the amp) and a headphone jack.

Essentially, I would like to know people's thoughts on whether the Oppo will perform just as well (or better) than the Mcintosh for less money. As the players themselves are just a piece of the puzzle I've listed my equipment below:

B&W 805 Nautilus bookshelf speakers (fronts)
Mcintosh 162 (160w into 4ohms) (power amp)
(also available is my Anthem Statement A2) (power amp)
Pioneer Elite SC-25
"Transparent" interconnects and speaker cables
RGPC 400 Pro
Oppo BDP-80

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Having owned Oppo equipment and McIntosh gear in the past I would buy the McIntosh. This is presuming the additional cost is of no concern.

A more sensible suggestion is to try both in your home, and keep the one you like most.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
Old 05-09-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the advice. Money isn't really the issue, but I figured if I could get comparable quality for less money there was no point "throwing it away." Unfortunately the audio stores here don't allow people to demo equipment in their homes (even used pieces) which means that I would have to buy each item and then pay a restocking fee for the one I didn't want. In all likelihood I'll go with the Mcintosh, but if others people have additional suggestions I would be glad to hear them.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have and Oppo BDP-83 SE and a McIntosh MVP-851 in my system. For 2 channel CD I prefer the Mac. The Oppo is very good but it seems to be a bit aggressive soundwise at the top end. The McIntosh I can listen for longer periods of time. A smoother presentation. Also Macs will retain their value better. You'll never have a problem selling it if you want to change.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

I have and Oppo BDP-83 SE and a McIntosh MVP-851 in my system. For 2 channel CD I prefer the Mac. The Oppo is very good but it seems to be a bit aggressive soundwise at the top end. The McIntosh I can listen for longer periods of time. A smoother presentation. Also Macs will retain their value better. You'll never have a problem selling it if you want to change.

No comparison between the Oppo BDP-95 and BDP-83SE. In fact, the Oppo BDP-93 will give 83SE a run for it's money. Much of what was learned in the 83SE analog board was ported to the 93.

For the OP, I'd only suggest you give a lot of weight to the support offered by Oppo vs a used Mac. And there's no restocking fee at Oppo. 30 days no questions asked. Also it does have a digital volume control for the analog outs. I'll also add that used Oppos also hold value very well.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@rdgrimes, Thank you for your input. Although the item is used, the store I'm buying it from will give me 1 years technical support so that is less of an issue. You also raise a point that I've noticed in many reviews of the BDP 95, that the difference between it and the 93 is minimal (in terms of what you hear, not technically). Do you have any experience with either the 93 or 95?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby View Post

@rdgrimes, Thank you for your input. Although the item is used, the store I'm buying it from will give me 1 years technical support so that is less of an issue. You also raise a point that I've noticed in many reviews of the BDP 95, that the difference between it and the 93 is minimal (in terms of what you hear, not technically). Do you have any experience with either the 93 or 95?

Here you are venturing into the murky and frightening world of esoteric audiophile language. Both the 93 and 95 offer analog audio quality that's as good or better than players costing many times more. I think it's fair to say that less than 1% of AVS denizens have speakers and amps capable of fully resolving these differences.

One reviewer put it well: With the 93, sitting in a noisy Times Square you can hear a knat fart in Baltimore. With the 95 you can hear that in Miami. (or words to that effect)

Both can claim to have DACs and analog boards that far exceed the quality of those found in even higher-end AVRs. So you really want to ask yourself just how demanding you want to be and what that last 1% of performance is worth. The 95 has noise levels and distortion that is not measurable on most testing bench equipment, with a totally flat FR curve. That's a claim that very few devices can make.

People tend to "prefer" a sound that's like what they are used to. So when people make reports about how some new piece of equipment sounds it's always being compared to what they've been listening to before. When a device is truly accurate and imparts no characteristics to the source at all, some people don't like it and call it all sorts of audiophillic terms. It also tends to be very unforgiving of sources that are less than ideal.

So here you add the wrinkle: what will you be listening to? Is it really good enough source material to demand total accuracy in order to appreciate it?

So maybe sometimes the real task is to ask the right questions, not so much get the right answers. </$.02>
Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks RD, I read that review (about that gnat) and that was what I was basing my questions off of. Although my taste in music is eclectic, the kind of music that I would be using the Oppo/Mcintosh for would be Jazz, Blues, Classical, and Folk. Additionally most of the music is in SACD format (with a few blu-rays as well) . No mp3s for me.

Although my current setup allows me to enjoy my music, if I can make certain improvements in terms of increased resolution (clarity) and decreased distortion I would hopefully be able to enjoy it that little bit more. I have heard that the 95 can be "clinical" sounding, but that doesn't bother me too much. I would much rather be able to pinpoint where a particular individual is in an orchestral recording than have it conform to a particular sound.

So, if I understand your advice correctly, I think that (for me) the BDP 93 might be the best option (out of the 2 Oppos). I have an appointment to go in and demo the Mcintosh sometime next week so I'll see if it's worth the hype. If not I will definitely go for the BDP-93. (My preference for the Mcintosh is partially due to my having $1000 in store credit which would mean that the amount that I would be chipping in would be the same amount as the Mcintosh which has a higher resale value if I decide to move on in future).
Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
get both, try them - pick the one that looks better - mac would be easy to flip on audiogon, check prices there first

REW...most expensive freeware ever...

Old 05-10-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby View Post

I have an appointment to go in and demo the Mcintosh sometime next week so I'll see if it's worth the hype. If not I will definitely go for the BDP-93. (My preference for the Mcintosh is partially due to my having $1000 in store credit which would mean that the amount that I would be chipping in would be the same amount as the Mcintosh which has a higher resale value if I decide to move on in future).

Might be even more interesting to take an Oppo BDP-93 with you and do a head-to-head comparison. 30-day no questions return policy if you're not impressed.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 PM

If the McIntosh is in good condition and selling for $1500, you could take it home, try it out, then sell it for a profit on Audiogon:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ntosh-MCD-301-
Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
That would be my suggestion - Take the 30 day trial of the Oppo, Buy the Mac and try them both. If you like the mac - return the Oppo - If you like the Oppo sell the Mac.