What to do with my problemed tube amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Greetings Learned Forum:

About 6 years ago, I acquired an Onix H34 integrated tube amp from the now defunct AV123. I has never worked right. . I had it repaired numerous times, but it was always difficult since AV123 claimed that it had no schematics for it. So my tech was flying blind. Something keeps shorting out and blowing the fuse.

I finally gave up and bought a HK 3490 to replace it. So I have this beautiful looking behemoth sitting there, staring at me, unused and unless I repair it again, unusable.

I need ideas on what should I do with it. Just taking it to the dump makes me incredibly sad. When it worked, it worked great. Should I try to sell it on Ebay, or would that just be a waste of time? Do this thing have any value to anyone?

Thank you for whatever suggestions you may offer.

Just Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-26-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nick View Post

Greetings Learned Forum:

About 6 years ago, I acquired an Onix H34 integrated tube amp from the now defunct AV123. I has never worked right. . I had it repaired numerous times, but it was always difficult since AV123 claimed that it had no schematics for it. So my tech was flying blind. Something keeps shorting out and blowing the fuse.

I finally gave up and bought a HK 3490 to replace it. So I have this beautiful looking behemoth sitting there, staring at me, unused and unless I repair it again, unusable.

I need ideas on what should I do with it. Just taking it to the dump makes me incredibly sad. When it worked, it worked great. Should I try to sell it on Ebay, or would that just be a waste of time? Do this thing have any value to anyone?

Thank you for whatever suggestions you may offer.

You could try to sell it "as is" on one of the internet sites, or find an electronics school in our area that could use it for an example of tubed equipment that is still being built and used.

Not having schematics for a tubed stereo amp seems like one of those things that even a marginally competent tech could correct given enough time. That all said I don't know that a schematic would help with a fuse blowing problem.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 373
If you're honest WRT the problems when listing it Nick, I don't think you could expect to get too much. Did you strike out with woofersus or Hugh when it came to schematics or service manuals?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page