post #301 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post

Have your strawman answer your strawman question like any other unobjectivist would.

Militant objectivist...spare me.

Quote:

A rational person would shop for a 2011 AVR based on price and features.
What would Amir "self analyzed as more objectivist than everyone here combined" M base AVR decisions on?

cheers,

AJ

p.s. that's how I bought my RX-A800, features....price.

As a brief response, that makes sense to me. Define what you want the receiver to do, develop a short list commensurate with the budget, and figure it out. At the very end, it just might come down to factors one's completely not aware of. I'd sure be curious what Amir might choose and why if his budget was a hard $600.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

A rational person would shop for a 2011 AVR based on price and features.

So to be clear and this is the question to the few of you and not just AJ, that how the amp and DAC performs is not part of the equation seeing how you did not list them. Correct? You deleted them in my question and I want to make sure you did not do that on purpose.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #303 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

Hey...would someone reach over and nudge the jukebox?

Believe it or not, I just did exactly that!

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #304 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

So to be clear and this is the question to the few of you and not just AJ, that how the amp and DAC performs is not part of the equation seeing how you did not list them. Correct? You deleted them in my question and I want to make sure you did not do that on purpose.

To me, it's part of the short list. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it, no? How do you evaluate the DAC in a $600 receiver that you'll never find review measurements on and intend on using in a multichannel setup?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #305 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcritic View Post

You love to aruge. You argue often.

Guilty as charged. Don't look in the mirror but you do too . Why else would you debate the spelling of a word over and over again?

Quote:

You argue with no reason to argue.

See above on the spelling bit .

Quote:

You argue against reason and logic.

I asked earlier for someone to give examples. None were given. Pick any technical field that you think I should not have argued and we can discuss something meaningful.

Quote:

Your insulting and you love to group people together, assign similarities to those groups, and then demean and insult entire groups of people in one fell swoop.

Entire group? Didn't I clarify that multiple times? That we are discussing a few people who are disruptive, rarely discuss the science of the position they are taking, hiding what audio equipment and experiences they have? I thought I did .

There are countless objectivists who do not post nonsense pictures and posts and live on information free one-liner posts complaining about what position someone else is taking. I consider myself one of them and many others who hang out here and WBF. As I noted earlier, two of our supermods there staunch objectivists.

Somehow you want to create a defense by attempting to put an entire community at fault where I am talking about the few who looted the downtown shops. That is not my position and I have constantly corrected you and others attempting to make it so.

Proper objectivity is critical in analyzing audio performance. I don't consider what the militant objectivists do proper objectivity. If you don't understand the science of how a DAC works, you have no business claiming they all perform the same. If I don't understand how a car engine works and what its specifications mean, I have no business saying they all accelerate the same. Yet that is precisely what is stated here and indirectly sanctioned by a defense such as yours.

Quote:

You argue for the sake of the argument and often provide no basis or counterpoints to why you are arguing.

Again, I love to see some examples. I provided the link to the DAC thread. You see that the person who threw gasoline over the fire was Arny, not me. Grand claims were made that then triggered with me saying, "wait a minute." In our most recent debate thread, it was another grand claim by him that all pro amps act like a wire. Prior to that, it was me who post measurements of cables showing the audiophile cable was actually the underperforming one. If I wanted to argue for the sake of arguing, why would I do that?

I do that because objectivity calls for that. It calls for using measurement equipment to chatracterize things. It calls for running spice simulations of real cables to see what effect they have in audio band. And then sharing that data even if it doesn't serve some hard over position one way or the other.

Where would I find such posts from you all complaining about my posts? When did you admit to an opposing point of view and went further to put forth data and measurements to support the same? I don't see that. I see blind faith by some not schooled in the science and engineering, based on what makes sense in their gut and what they have read online. That would be fine if they didn't then attempt to preach said gospel. But that is not where they stop. They roam from thread to thread, hoping to convince everyone.

Then I ask them if they have an engineering degree and I hear sound of crickets. I ask them what double blind testing they do in selection of their own equipment and I hear excuse after excuse that it is too hard, etc. On what basis are you defending such people? And get angry with me? Would you rather see no one discuss the science so that your side looks good? Is that what we strive for in a forum called AVS? Supporting beliefs?

Quote:

You never give an inch and are never wrong.

As I noted, that is not the case. Here is the specifics:

Quote:

I ran a bunch of simulations for measured cable parameters against the load of a typical 2-way speaker. You can see it starting here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...e-Theory/page3

Net of it was that no matter which cable characteristics we plugged into the model, it didn't amount to much. We even looked at phase shifts and such and it was always pretty small.

One plausible explanation put forth is that connectors may oxidize, come loose, etc. so when people switch cables, they hear a difference. So it is important to go back to the original cable once more to make sure it didn't improve just the same.

That said, I did run a blind test at home once using interconnects to the dual inputs of my Stax headphone amp. And despite switching the cables at each experiment, the difference remained. I have no explanation to offer per-se but what I did hear was repeatable but very small.

As to not being wrong, I have been wrong and catastrophically so. I have discussed my failings online for the world to read. I have yet to see the other side to the same and do so willingly without being asked repeatedly and even then, it is hard to read in their words whether they truly are accepting the error.

Quote:

You don't know when to stop and have no idea of what the word compromise it. I'm wrong???

Compromise with whom? The militant few who are determined to death to drive out the other voice? What would compromise would mean in that context? Did you read the de-mag thread on WBF? Did that not look like me taking your side of the fence? What did that get me in this thread? Nothing. People then picked on other members there and what I said in a post. The entire context of me going strongly to disprove the claims of the product was dismissed. Or else, why would you say what you just did?

So it is not about that. You want to win a word argument and are going to throw all the daggers you have . I get it. But let's be honest for a second and don't make this about me.

Quote:

Then how about offering up some proof that the hordes of people who have left due to the horrible treatment by the wicked militant objectivists actually left for that reason and not simply through attrition.

It is pretty simple. Go on WBF and register. Then send a PM to Steve Williams. He used to go by obgyn here. Ask him why he left. Then pick the names of any other who post there and has an alias here but doesn't post. A few were mentioned by others already.

Quote:

Have you contacted them?

Who is buried in Grant's tomb? WBF was formed (and before it UHE Forum) precisely because folks left and needed a new home. I was approached to help create it due to my technical experience. Some of the immigrants there read the posts here and any time there is an argument, I get a lot of PMs from them on WBF and here, shaking their head saying how happy they are that they not having to put with the type of arguing the militant few put forth.

Quote:

A significant % of them and can you provide the data that supports your claims. Until you can do that you are just another blow hard puffing up your chest, with a holier than thou attitude and nothing with which to support your claims other than anecdotal evidence. And the proof is this thread.

No, you are the blow puffing your chest . You have no data whatsoever but are so sure you are right about these people leaving simply because you think you are right and I must be wrong. That is what I deal with. Here is a situation that is quite black and white. Folks left and left for good and are posting on a new forum created after their departure. Yet you are so confident that you are right. Even after telling you my first hand experience of this, you doubt it. So as I said, you put your gut feeling ahead of the facts. That is not being objective.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #306 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

How do you evaluate the DAC in a $600 receiver that you'll never find review measurements on and intend on using in a multichannel setup?

By listening, Chu. Your ears are much better than any meter, dontcha know?

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #307 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

To me, it's part of the short list.

What is part of your short list? The DAC and amplifier performance in an AVR?

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #308 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What is part of your short list? The DAC and amplifier performance in an AVR?

That's right. Now, how does the prospective buyer evaluate the DAC performance given that the most they can spend is $600 for a multichannel receiver?

post #309 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

He spent one heck of a time, over some two months arguing that differences between DACs don't exist. If he didn't really believe what I said, "a $1 DAC in a receiver performed the same as a dedicated DAC" he has one heck of a way of stipulating it!

He (and every audio rationalist I'm aware of) would say measurable differences exist between DACs; and that typically these aren't audible. So don't worry much about DACs; DACs should be way, way down your list of audio 'upgrades'. You seem to have a really hard time grasping this.

Quote:

So if I asked you or Arny if I should get a DAC as an upgrade over my AVR DACs, what would be your answer?

Don't bother unless spending money brings you joy in and of itself. ... or youv've actually run out of important issues to deal with in your listening room.

Quote:

Not really. It is the old situation of you all backing away from the conclusions of your arguments. Do you or do you not advocate that I analyze the performance of DACs in picking an AVR? Do you or do you not advocate that I analyze the performance of amps in AVRs?

You're a smart guy. What is so friggin' hard to understand? No, it never hurts to see bench test results. But TYPICALLY they are so good for DACs , and amps in AVRs in the ways that actually matter audibly, that gear in those classes are commodities. Choose by features of the AVR, the load you'll be presenting to the amp, cost, appearance.

Quote:

That is a debating tactic. Audiophiles care about both. You all keep positioning them about cables and such as if they never discuss speakers and rooms. In what logical world does this have to be either or?[/quote

Much will hinge on how you define 'audiophiles' herem, Amir. You mean AVSF readers? They're pretty savvy in those regards. Lots of focus on room and loudspeaker performance here. Absolute Sound/Stereophile readers? Typical internet audio forums like Asylum? Another story.

The way clown college audiophiles discuss speakers has, until relatively recently, been divorced from stuff that, e.g., Toole et al. have shown actually matter. And Toole et al. have shown that the way people , 'audiophiles' certainly included, typically CHOOSE loudspeakers (and in the case of certain high-end magazines, recommend as 'speaker of the year) is fraught with bias.

(Yeah, I know Atkinson does quasi-anaechoic measurements. But there's a sort of firewall between the bench test and subjective reviews, like the one between news and editorial is major newspapers. The disconnection between his results and the reviewer gushing, can be interesting or comical by turns. )

And rooms? yeah, there's lip service at clown college about controlling room artifacts. But in terms of attention paid, it's presented as if it was on par with finding the right DAC or amp. That's absurd. Plenty of CC audiophiles aren't even on board with multichannel audio (which can obviate some room artifacts) or even sub + mains systems (which can provide flexiblity for dealing with modal issues). 'Purism' is a pestilence in 'high end'.

Quote:

And if I inverted your "unlikely chance" does it mean it can be that two DACs and AVRs sound different?

Yes, and Arny will say the same, if you emphasize the word *CAN*. We're talking likelihoods, and no one says it's *zero*.

Quote:

If so, why the shouting when someone observes that? If it is possible, and you are not there to know otherwise, what is your beef with them sharing that experience?

Don't be obtuse. The answer should be obvious by now. I'm getting tired of repeating it. Hint: what's the burden on someone who has claimed to see something that's a priori very unlikely?

Quote:

I don't portray myself as anything. What I do say is that I am not responsible for exodus of a number of contributing members as some of you are. Nor do I conduct myself in the manner you do. I don't just argue. I share data and analysis. I share listening experiences. I share objective analysis. None of this makes me super human or perfect. Only that I have a minimum bar below which I will not go. Most of you don't have that and that is a shame as it results in less constructive discussion.

Actually, not only on AVSF (see, for a very recent example, the MCACC thread) but on other audio forums (including WBF, where I'm "sasully"), I very much like to share information and links, and help out those trying to grapple with audio issues. People here on AVSF who 'know' me know that too, and have already mentioned that to you. You ignored it, since the data doesn't fit your preconceptions.

Btw, I like the Amir who posts on this thread ("JBL Calibration Synthesis Video")

The one I'm dealing with here is a self-righteous, un-self-aware, conceited schoolmarm obsessed with maintaining rhetorical advantage: in a word, tiresome. Can you send him away please and bring the other one here?
post #310 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

So to be clear and this is the question to the few of you and not just AJ, that how the amp and DAC performs is not part of the equation seeing how you did not list them. Correct?

"Performs"? What DAC/amp "performance" parameters is a 2011 AVR end user (viewing/listening) to be concerned with Amir? Do you have some audible concerns, or is it time for your useless "data" carpet bombing facade of "science" to hide behind?

Quote:

You deleted them in my question and I want to make sure you did not do that on purpose.

. Here is your entire quoted from post, verbatim:

Quote:

OK, one down as expected. This guy doesn't know. Anyone else want to answer what the militant objectivist position is relative to someone shopping for a new AVR?

And you wonder why all except yourself (and a slurper or two) see you as a overactive imagination, paranoid, angry little man. Sheesh.

cheers,

AJ
post #311 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's right.

It is? Why? Do you expect the DACs and Amps to sound different?

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #312 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is? Why? Do you expect the DACs and Amps to sound different?

I'm running with your comments on the DACs. As for the amps, I'd make tentative selections to narrow down the short list based on their stated ability to drive the speakers while keeping in mind I'm also using a sub.

post #313 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

"Performs"? What DAC/amp "performance" parameters is a 2011 AVR end user (viewing/listening) to be concerned with Amir? Do you have some audible concerns, or is it time for your useless "data" carpet bombing facade of "science" to hide behind?

No it is not time for any of that. I am simply trying to determine what your position is and it seems so impossible to get. I didn't think the question was complicated at all but the answer seems to be somehow. So once more, if someone is shopping for an AVR, is your position that they should or should not worry about DAC and amplifier performance in them?

If you don't have a position that is fine to say also.

Quote:

. Here is your entire quoted from post, verbatim:

No, I meant that you deleted the the mention of DAC and amp out of what you quoted from me: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=299

This is the part you left in, "to someone shopping for a new AVR?"

That was not the sum total of my question, now was it? The rest of the sentence mattered as it was specific to those two components (DAC and amp).

Quote:

And you wonder why all except yourself (and a slurper or two) see you as a overactive imagination, paranoid, angry little man. Sheesh.

cheers,

AJ

Angry and little? Why those two words are always put together in insults? Reminds me of the all time greatest Bill Cosby special on HBO:

Bill Cosby: "And tired" always followed sick. Worst beating I ever got in my life, my mother said, "I am just sick..." And I said, "And tired." I don't remember anything after that.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #314 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm running with your comments on the DACs.

What do you mean you are "running with my comments?" I am asking you if someone is buying an AVR, would your advice is to look at the performance of its DAC. If so, can you point me to any thread where you have given such advice?

Quote:

As for the amps, I'd make tentative selections to narrow down the short list based on their stated ability to drive the speakers while keeping in mind I'm also using a sub.

So what you are saying is that amplifiers do make a difference in AVRs and they should be a buying criteria? If so, can you please expand on that? Please note that I am asking in the context of you giving advice to others, not what you bought for yourself.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #315 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

What do you mean you are "running with my comments?" I am asking you if someone is buying an AVR, would your advice is to look at the performance of its DAC. If so, can you point me to any thread where you have given such advice?

See above. FWIW, I don't get involved in threads giving receiver advise or recommendations.

Now, from the first quote above, it seems to me that you place an importance on the DAC and amp. So I ask you once again, how do you evaluate the DAC in a $600 receiver? If you think it's irrelevant, then just say so. If you think it ought to receive due consideration, then say how one goes about it.

Quote:

So what you are saying is that amplifiers do make a difference in AVRs and they should be a buying criteria? If so, can you please expand on that? Please note that I am asking in the context of you giving advice to others, not what you bought for yourself.

You first.

post #316 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(Yeah, I know Atkinson does quasi-anaechoic measurements. But there's a sort of firewall between the bench test and subjective reviews, like the one between news and editorial is major newspapers. The disconnection between his results and the reviewer gushing, can be interesting or comical by turns. )

Also comical are his lame attempts to correlate his measurements with his reviewers' gushings.

Quote:

Don't be obtuse. The answer should be obvious by now.

Well, he's either obtuse or he's a troll. Maybe we should take a poll?

post #317 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Andy Dufresne: How can you be so obtuse?
Warden Samuel Norton: What? What did you call me?
Andy Dufresne: Obtuse. Is it deliberate?
Warden Samuel Norton: Son, you're forgetting yourself.
Andy Dufresne: The country club will have his old time cards. Records, W-2s with his name on them. Sir, if I ever get out, I'd never mention what happens here. I'd be just as indictable as you for laundering that money.
[Norton slaps the table]
Warden Samuel Norton: Don't you ever mention money to me again, you sorry son of a bitch! Not in this office, not anywhere!
post #318 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 127
WAY better than Dune.
post #319 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, Dune didn't have Morgan Freeman & Tim Robbins! I still like Dune although I would've hoped that Virginia Madsen was dressed in something a lot more revealing. Back in the day she was just knockout looking.

Krab, you ever seen Amir assist some of the folks with their mid level receiver choices?

post #320 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
lmao, love that movie. This thread was a fun read early First two pages had great on-liner type posts, too funny but somehow it got serious and we all know where it was going.

I have to ask.... Why is there always a discussion about another forum when Amir posts in any thread?

Could it be that he owns that "other forum".....hmmmm. To actually post this...."It is pretty simple. Go on WBF and register. " to me is just too weird (business ethics come to mind). Does AVS really want someone on their website recommending members to go signup on another forum. I think there is a HUGE conflict of interest going on here.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #321 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Can we please get this thread back on track.
  • Magic molecule stretching blocks
  • Aliens
  • Snake Oil
  • Ancient astronauts
  • Magic hockey pucks
  • Pyramid construction techniques
  • Herbal supplements
  • Michael Jackson
  • Suckers
  • Unseen forces
  • Voodoo
  • Psychics
  • Audiophiles
post #322 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

See above. FWIW, I don't get involved in threads giving receiver advise or recommendations.

See what above? You quoted me. What in your own words is your position of the people you agree with on this thread? Does DAC performance matter in an AVR or does it not? Surely this is a simple answer to give seeing how strong you all feel about these DAC discussions. Can you not tell me what your position nets out in this regard? You can't be that unsure about it, can you?

Quote:
Now, from the first quote above, it seems to me that you place an importance on the DAC and amp. So I ask you once again, how do you evaluate the DAC in a $600 receiver? If you think it's irrelevant, then just say so. If you think it ought to receive due consideration, then say how one goes about it.

You first.

Looks like the plot is lost . This whole discussion started with Krab claiming that I misstate your collective position. Are you honestly saying that your position depends on what I say? And that if I don't say it, you have no position on the matter otherwise?

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #323 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Andy Dufresne: How can you be so obtuse?
Warden Samuel Norton: What? What did you call me?
Andy Dufresne: Obtuse. Is it deliberate?
Warden Samuel Norton: Son, you're forgetting yourself.
Andy Dufresne: The country club will have his old time cards. Records, W-2s with his name on them. Sir, if I ever get out, I'd never mention what happens here. I'd be just as indictable as you for laundering that money.
[Norton slaps the table]
Warden Samuel Norton: Don't you ever mention money to me again, you sorry son of a bitch! Not in this office, not anywhere!

One of the best movies ever made. I must have memorized every line in it. I have to remember to not disagree with you on anything. Anyone who likes this movie, can't be wrong about much else.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #324 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Suddenly, diomania's refrain takes on relevance.

post #325 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Suddenly, diomania's refrain takes on relevance.

Not really. You are hoping to find a debate-style way out. Problem is, that just makes things worse. I mean how bad can it get when you can't give a simple answer to a simple question?

So let me bring it to close. This is what started it, an extract of what I said on WBF:

"Well, once upon a time there was a forum where a couple of people were taking a beating to every audiophile there, claiming a $200 AVR was just as good as any other product and that a $1 DAC in a receiver performed the same as a dedicated DAC."

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

I'm not sure anyone at 'a forum once upon a time' ever wrote exactly that, or ever meant exactly that. Smells a bit of fertilizer, and it's a bit provocative and argument-startingto misrepresent the telling little details that way, don't you think? Bolding mine.

If what I said was "fish fertilizer" then it should have been very different than the truth. Yet, after three pages of asking you what it is you actually hold relative to those features in an AVR, none of your are forthcoming.

What good is all of your arguments if it is not to be used to make a buying decision? What good is all of your arguments when you can't even summarize them as I did? What good is all of your arguments when you can't even have a straight discussion as to what *you* believe?

It is a silly defense anyway. You should absolutely believe and say what I said on your behalf. It is the logical conclusion supported by your facts as you believe it. That you try to distance yourself with these debating tactics shows that you are more interested in covering each other's backs than discussing audio and your specific position of it.

If someone asks me the same question I give them a test. I ask them to compress some music at 320 kbps and compare it to the CD. If they can't tell the difference they should absolutely, positively close their eyes and buy that AVR using its feature list than DACs, Amps or whatever. This covers vast majority of audio users. See, I have no trouble whatsoever articulating my position. But somehow it is sooooo difficult for you to do the same. It is all wrapped up in a half a dozen posts and ended with that one-liner that you are copying the guy who believes in aliens. I didn't think there was a way for you to ever put down your marketing psychology background in your post but you just did that, by siding with that poster. And for that, I thank you relative to future posts to come .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #326 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You should absolutely believe and say what I said on your behalf. It is the logical conclusion supported by your facts as you believe it.

No, it's not, and you are not the arbiter of what anybody else believes.

The basic problem is this: "we" know that you know what "we" believe, so all your questions about what "we" believe are just trolling. And no one wants to give you the satisfaction. Apparently, people can string you along for days like this.

post #327 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If someone asks me the same question I give them a test. I ask them to compress some music at 320 kbps and compare it to the CD. If they can't tell the difference they should absolutely, positively close their eyes and buy that AVR using its feature list than DACs, Amps or whatever.

I would add that if they think they can tell the difference, they should take truth serum and try again.

post #328 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 03:07 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:

Does DAC performance matter in an AVR or does it not?

What kind of performance are you asking about, audible or measurable? You should clarify it.
post #329 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

No, it's not, and you are not the arbiter of what anybody else believes.

But just the same I have the right to summarize the way I see it. And that is what I did. If you don't like it, you can disagree but until you explain what you do mean, I won't change my understanding of your position.

Quote:
The basic problem is this: "we" know that you know what "we" believe, so all your questions about what "we" believe are just trolling. And no one wants to give you the satisfaction. Apparently, people can string you along for days like this.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Remember, I post that sentence in another forum without any of you present. So surely it was not meant as trolling. So please put aside these debating terms. They don't work on me .

Further, the facts are absolutely positively clear here. I have been in countless debates with all the people disagreeing with me here on DACs. When discussing jitter, they uniformly hold the position that it is not audible. If it is not audible, then it reasons that the $1 DAC is the same as an external box -- precisely what I said which raised all of these objections.

Tell me how it is consistent to fight me over thousands of posts (literally) stomping your collective feed that jitter doesn't and that digital audio reproduction is more perfect than people's hearing and in the next breath, claim that what I said above is not its corollary. It absolutely is.

And it is not like I didn't give you a chance to say otherwise. I asked half a dozen times what you would say about the performance of a DAC in an AVR. If your position is so clear and that I know it, why wasn't it stipulated?

But by all means, why don't you answer the question. Does the DAC performance matter in an AVR? Give that answer and then we can see which one of us is right .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital

post #330 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But just the same I have the right to summarize the way I see it.

And we have the right to tell you you're wrong, without feeding the troll.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page