At what point does audio snake oil become fraud? - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 747 Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I like the way the stands are on stands. I wonder if this vendor sells stands? Also, I believe the brass cylinders are inappropriate. They should be brass balls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 747 Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

I saw Ethan Winer leave WBF after some pretty, um, interesting interaction.

Since you are so observant, perhaps you noticed Arny joining? That, after saying it was the worst place on earth? I seem to recall him putting in ~200 posts in just a couple of months.

Ethan left btw because he wanted to do the militant thing, saving people from ills of audiophilia', etc.

BTW, people cannot believe it is the same Arny that is there. Yes, he was his usual self here and there with some personal attacks. But once put on notice, he is decidedly more civil.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #243 of 747 Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post

Don't know about the other two, but here is Chu's system:

As I said, there are a lot of audiophiles with alien genes. Those copper foil are antennas used for communications to their spaceship.

Quote:

The wood used was carefully chosen after auditioning a variety from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace and local lumber yards, the HD stock found to be the most musical.

You buy your hardwood from those outfits? All they have is expensive preplaned stock that by the time you run it through your jointer to make them flat, you can see through them! You want to visit a real hardwood store, get them roughsawn and then plane them down to what you need.

And yes, they do sound better that way. They will be a lot heavier so when they hit you on the head, it will make a louder thud sound!

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #244 of 747 Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 PM

Liked: 19
In looking at the big picture the proper way to see this is to consider a change of verbage...

"In any forum the only thing that matters is the active members."

to

In any forum the only thing that matters is the interactive members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11 View Post

I've been here since 2003 and avsforum is just the same. Nothing has changed with due exception of may people that left for some reason and many new people posting nowadays.

In any forum the only thing that matters is the active members.

Be the sage.
post #245 of 747 Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LOL. Me, a *fixture* on the >$20K forum??? Now that is some serious fertilizer. (Doubtless you'll scurry to do a count.

Did a search now. It returns 103 posts.

Quote:

But you know how I end up there, Amir, on those comparatively rare occasions that I do? I do a Search to see what threads Chu is posting to...because I *know* there'll always be some grins and good discussion to be had, whatever thread it is.

Seeing the group of you following me from thread to thread, no question about what you did. The gang moves from one fight to another.

Quote:

It's not like I ever fired up my laptop and went, "hmm, how many 'Ultra High End' doinks can I send packing to WBF today?")

Right on brother. I said your interest is arguing and not audio and you tell me the same thing.

Me, I did go there to learn. Lots of people sharing lots of experiences.

Quote:

(It's probably how I ended up on a '2-channel audio' subforum too, in case you're wondering. Except for earbuds at the gym, I haven't listened to 2-channel audio for years.) (<----HEY, THERE'S A CLUE TO MY SETUP)

I got the clue! You sit in your car and listen to the four speakers! Yes, yes, yes! No wonder you don't hear jitter. Your car's vibrations dwarf it!!!

Quote:

Who cares? Besides you, I mean. If I want to read how putting cables on lifters made tulips grow in someone's audio garden, I know exactly where to find that sort of thing. But when I want to read (for example) Roger Dressler explaining how DPLII works, or Chris Kyriakis fielding questions about Audyssey I go *here*. Seems I want to do the latter sorts of things much more often than the former.

Putting aside the fact that Roger is posting on WBF now, we have incredible array of technical articles and forums there. Here is the core area: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumd...t-In-Tech-Talk

You brag about Harman's blind testing. We have both Sean Olive and Todd Welti: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumd...ofers-In-Rooms.

Art Noxon has its forum on acoustics: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumd...Room-Acoustics and we have many experts like him visiting there.

And Mark Seaton on speakers and rooms: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumd...th-Mark-Seaton

Importantly, the expert areas have strict rules of not allowing members to hassle the experts or create side arguments. Therefore, information is easy to find for members.

Does it hold a candle to AVS' breath of information? Nope. If you have time and energy, this places is the deepest repository of knowledge there is on audio/video. But then you better be prepared to put up with likes diomaniac, AJ, etc.

Quote:

Such drama! Except, no one got 'beat up'. Even verbally, the worst that I've ever seen here is a far, far cry from, say, the unmoderated rec.audio newsgroups. Moderation works. (So does the 'ignore' function, btw)

I don't know how many times I have had to say this but once more, I am not looking to you to appreciate the impact. You are the aggressor. of course you think nothing bad happened. Maybe a little story helps.

I remember sitting in a sexual harassment course at Sony years ago. A guy got into an argument over gray areas of what is harassment and what is not. Eventually the instructor got tired and said this: "if you are embarrassed for your mother to see what you did, you shouldn't do it!"

By the same token, I am confident none of the people who did the harassing would be willing to show their posts to their mother. There.

Quote:

'Balance' can be overrated --- and where science is concerned, quite inappropriate.

I am with you. We should go to a single party government. What say you?

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #246 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Right on brother. I said your interest is arguing and not audio and you tell me the same thing.

Me, I did go there to learn. Lots of people sharing lots of experiences.

what are some of the things you learned about in that section?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #247 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
haha this so funny

Quote:

Yet people like AJ bashed him to pieces in this very forum just a month ago.

Yeah, that is really what happen. Not that Hevi posted a video on youtube that proved the AJ character was totally wrong and challenged him, and AJ just stopped

Quote:

Ironically, NIN was conflicted just the same. He wanted Ing on the pedestal for speakers but not for his amplifier testing across three decades. The latter conflicted with his views. So he was selective about man's intelligence, abilities and work products.

WHEN will you get it that it is LTS that do the test?
No, their test don't conflict with my views, I even have bought amplifiers based on their test. But the difference is that I have read many of the tests, and you have not.
You know, I have a lot info that you don't know about, because you don't have read them. Because of that I have a better context how to grade the tests, than you.

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
post #248 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

That is his talking point, don't parrot it please. After he finally, after pages and pages of request he finally disclosed the three letters, LTS, I spent days and weeks studying the work of the group and Ing. Unfortunately, all of the documents are all gone. I then read every post I could find by Ing on the topic. I am talking 30-page threads in Swedish where people like you were beating Ing silly. Do you know how hard it is to do that using machine translation? All of that translates into reading one thing?

Let me get this straight:
-You don't have any of the original tests. You have only read one translated test.
-All other "knowledge" is based on second, third or even lower based sources.
-All this on a language you don't know and using web translation that even yourself say is hard to use.

And this make a expert that saying that I don't know or don't want to know the "truth" when I:

-Have a lot of the original testspapers in my home.
-My knowledge is based from the original first source, the tests, and even from people that do the tests, that I know and meet many times.
-Have spoken, written, meet Ingvar and other within LTS many, many times during the past 7-8 years. Hell, Ingvar have been at my place a couple of times and he have helpt me with the acoustics, that you trashed, and let me quote you:
"All I see is black curtains in front of the same, thin, blue egg-crate foam. My worry was acoustics, not aesthetics . That foam doesn't do much to tame low frequency reflections. Did you say the speaker designer helped you with it? If so, I am very surprised that he would make such a recommendation."

So the way I see it is this:
-You use whatever that can prove your point and excludes that is not useful for your goal or that it hurts your claims.
-You post like you have a deeper knowledge that you really have.
-You don't answer the questions that proves you don't know or are wrong.
-You like to use straw man argument.

One can always say that I don't write so well (English is not my first languages).
One can also say that I sometimes can get excited and in a hurry post a not 100% well thoughtful posts.

So lets see what you will ignore again and what new straw man you will use.

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
post #249 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
...I don't know how many times I have had to say this but once more, I am not looking to you to appreciate the impact. You are the aggressor. of course you think nothing bad happened. Maybe a little story helps...
I'll assume that this comment was meant to suggest that objectivists, in general, are the aggressor, with the several you call out by name as the main perpatrators.

What a crock of shite. I've been on this site since its first year under several names. And I can state from personal experience that every single freaken time I post a comment such as: "if anyone can hear a difference between DACS then one of them is broken or poorly engineered" the "usual" subjects from the other side pile on so quickly and aggressivly that I'm hardly done typing the statement before I have half a dozen subjectivists calling me every demeaning, insluting, slur they can think of that gets past the mods.

To suggest that this type of behaviour is one sided, as you do over and over and over and over and over...again... is simply somebody taking only information from one side and purporting it to be the truth.

Both sides give as good as they get. And there has been as many from both camps leave the site over the years. Perhaps they just have more to do with their lives than live on an internet site? Hmmmmm. Leaving this place for a few years is very healthy. But as Jorgelopez said, not a single thing has changed around here in a dozen years. Same site. Same agruments. Same BS from both sides. Nothing accomplished. Same people endlessly agruing about the same things, both sides with an agenda. To suggest this is only true on one side is to ignore the facts and history of this site in general. And frankly, you know that. You are a prime example of what you hate. At this point you are only arguing to argue. You don't believe for a second half of what you are posting.

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures ...
post #250 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_bottom View Post
I like the way the stands are on stands. I wonder if this vendor sells stands?
Here is the deal Rock. You can buy my recommended wood block /brass feet stands (or my recommended Async USB to S/PDIF converter with a money back guarantee from:http://www.audiophilleo.com/buy.aspx).
Buy it, run your own test for 30 days. Run it double, triple blind . Bring people with you or do it alone (yes, a double or triple blind test alone). If you don't hear any difference, return it, get your money back and be happy that you saved $500 and lots of reading in threads like this in the future . I expect 90% of the people to fall in that category if not more (never mind my rather condescending tone here).
Was this simple enough? Remember, I am more of an objectivist than all of you combined. We have clear reasons to indicate the wood block/brass feet offers 10x lower measured vibration, so we know the system is underperforming its specification without them. So we should go and conduct experiments.
I have conducted experiments to prove it to me that it does degrade audio. The only way I know how to get you to believe it is for you to run such test.
It is not a preference. It an informed opinion by someone schooled in the art and science.

cheers,

AJ
post #251 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 View Post
Not that Hevi posted a video on youtube that proved the AJ character was totally wrong
The "sin 2" test for diffraction? "Proved" no diffraction....from a stepped baffle.
Extremely funny stuff, why did he remove it? I was quite enjoying it, as I'm sure anyone with the IQ required to understand diffraction and "Sin 2" testing was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 View Post
and AJ just stopped
Laughing, no. But I did have a show to get ready for and now a business to run.
Maybe one day if I find time, I'll revisit that rather amusing "diffraction revealing" stepped baffle "test".

Get hevi to put it back up, it was funny as heck.
post #252 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcritic View Post
I'll assume that this comment was meant to suggest that objectivists, in general, are the aggressor, with the several you call out by name as the main perpatrators.
No, that is not a correct assumption. I am speaking of a specific situation caused by a few individuals who pushed way beyond the point of reasonableness. I gave specific examples and mentioned names.

I call them militant objectivists now because they are out to have a fight first and foremost.

I was also clear that I myself an objectivists. So there, you should know that I am not generalizing. There are countless people who look at audio objectively but don't stalk others like Diomaniac does.

Quote:
What a crock of shite. I've been on this site since its first year under several names. And I can state from personal experience that every single freaken time I post a comment such as: "if anyone can hear a difference between DACS then one of them is broken or poorly engineered" the "usual" subjects from the other side pile on so quickly and aggressivly that I'm hardly done typing the statement before I have half a dozen subjectivists calling me every demeaning, insluting, slur they can think of that gets past the mods.
Well, your standard must be different than what I call those names. Here is a sampling when I discussed that very topic with just one individual:

Originally Posted by arnyk
I take it that you have no experience with research and development.

You've already proven that despite your initial claims you have about zero clue about what constitutes a proper listening test, and you are quick to advise people against them.

Amrim, are you projecting your recent serious failures onto me?

The above shows how completely out-of-touch with reality you are, Amrim. ...Amrim we now know that you are less sophisticated than a beginner when it comes to doing listening tests. .

You're such a rookie, Amirm. In such a rush to judgement and so over your head, technically.

Amirm shows us his inexperience with real-world digtial once again.

I hate to see you twist in the wind Amirm, so I'll explain your little jitter mystery for you.

Yet another rookie mistake. Amirm, You are obviously unaware of the basics of statistics.

Yet another rookie mistake caused no doubt by a rush to judgement.

You've never heard of digital filters, I take it. Google is your friend.

I can post 100X more about the few individuals. That said, I hear you. There are people who are extremely vocal and aggressive on the other side. Having argued with them though as you have, I have yet to see any of them act like the above and other examples I have given.

Fact is that we have seen a number of people from one camp leave collectively leaving a subforum almost empty whereas nothing like that has occurred on the other side.

Quote:
To suggest that this type of behaviour is one sided, as you do over and over and over and over and over...again... is simply somebody taking only information from one side and purporting it to be the truth.
I made the above correction that I am talking about a specific situation just yesterday. I don't know how you turn this incident into me being against the entire camp. But now that it is cleared, I hope you don't think that way anymore >

Quote:
But as Jorgelopez said, not a single thing has changed around here in a dozen years.
That assertion is simply incorrect with respect to $20,000 forum. I go there everyday. There is almost nothing to read. Sometimes there is no new thread for days. It was anything but that way before. If you are disputing that, let's see that crisply and I am happy to put forth more evidence.

Quote:
Same site. Same agruments. Same BS from both sides. Nothing accomplished.
I disagree. A lot has been accomplished. It is just that it takes a ton of time to get there. At least from my point of view I have been able to make progress on a number of exaggerated positions by folks in our objectivist camp.

Quote:
Same people endlessly agruing about the same things, both sides with an agenda.
I don't just "ague." I put forth the science of what we are discussing, this thread notwithstanding. Yes, we all have an agenda. It is to rise up in status in the social community and do that by achieving some level of authority. Question is, do we do that by imparting knowledge or just stomping our feet that the other side is stupid and do so non-constructively?

To be clear, I love the challenges and claims made. Otherwise, there would be nothing to discuss. But there is a good way to do it and a bad way to do it. For Arny to use such words with someone else from the industry is just not proper. Same person on WBF posts much, much better because he knows the strict rules we have there. People can't believe it is the same person when I show them the above posts.

Your justification after the fact that just encourages that style. We come here to have fun and enjoy discussing our great hobby. If it is a war to some people who have to stalk me from thread to thread and do nothing but throw one-liner jabs as some are doing exactly, and never discuss any audio experiences of their own, something is broken and as a group, we need to stop that no matter which camp we are in, lest we want to lose credibility as human beings.

It is clear from my read of the situation that no price is too high to win the argument. I ask Chu why he didn't defend NIN and I just get a random answer back.

Quote:
To suggest this is only true on one side is to ignore the facts and history of this site in general. And frankly, you know that. You are a prime example of what you hate. At this point you are only arguing to argue. You don't believe for a second half of what you are posting.
I do. Show me posts like I did for Arny. Show me doing what Diomaniac does by stalking another poster. Show me not discussing my personal audio experiences that I can't get out of Chu or Krab. Show me all of you collectively explaining as much about the science of audio and objectivity as I have done. You can't do it.

Am I perfect in what I do here? No. Not by any stretch. But imagine for a moment that there are six or seven people who are following from thread to thread, shadowing you like you would not believe, throwing daggers at you. There comes the time when you also will post something emotional and when you look back you say, "I wish I hadn't done that."

Now, if you are saying I am guilty of having a strong point of view, I won't apologize for that. Nor do I at all accept that it has anything to do with the topic being discussed.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #253 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Since you are so observant, perhaps you noticed Arny joining? That, after saying it was the worst place on earth? I seem to recall him putting in ~200 posts in just a couple of months.

Ethan left btw because he wanted to do the militant thing, saving people from ills of audiophilia', etc.

BTW, people cannot believe it is the same Arny that is there. Yes, he was his usual self here and there with some personal attacks. But once put on notice, he is decidedly more civil.
Arny's on Hydrogenaudio too. And here as well (I think).

So, you and your WBF krew are surprised that Arny's willing to join a moderated group that has a faction of subjectivist woo-swearers on it? And that he can be 'civil'? I'm not, any more than I'm surprised by his doggedness in pursuing an argument. I've 'known' Arny since old Usenet days. There was (is) this place called 'rec.audio.high-end', a very well-moderated oasis in a scorching desert of rational Usenet audio discussion. You should research it sometime. People like you used to whine about objectivist 'bullying' there too, btw.

From my perspective you're still kind of a noob to internet audio culture, Amir. That's why your concerns and arguments can be pretty boring, to me -- you're not aware of how often these 'battles' have been fought before....and often with the same combatants.

And btw, do you really imagine the Superior Dance you seem to be engaged in constantly, is any less 'damning' than Arny's quotes you pulled, above?
post #254 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did a search now. It returns 103 posts.

Good job! Now, what percentage of my total posting to AVSF does that represent?

As for the rest, I told you, I'm already a member of WBF, doofus (yes,that's name-calling. Almost as childish as 'show me your gear!'). Have been for...well, you can look it up for me. I sure wish Sean Olive would post more.
post #255 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post
Bring people with you or do it alone (yes, a double or triple blind test alone). If you don't hear any difference, return it, get your money back and be happy that you saved $500 and lots of reading in threads like this in the future . I expect 90% of the people to fall in that category if not more (never mind my rather condescending tone here).
Was this simple enough? Remember, I am more of an objectivist than all of you combined. We have clear reasons to indicate the wood block/brass feet offers 10x lower measured vibration, so we know the system is underperforming its specification without them. So we should go and conduct experiments.
I have conducted experiments to prove it to me that it does degrade audio. The only way I know how to get you to believe it is for you to run such test.
It is not a preference. It an informed opinion by someone schooled in the art and science.

cheers,

AJ
I like the cut of this test's jib. And I say that as someone who is more of an audiophile than anyone who has ever lived. But may I suggest quadruple blind? First, one set of listeners does double blind listening and gives their answers. Then the second set has to guess what answers the first set gave. And in both cases, the proctor mustn't have a clue what's going on.
post #256 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

No, that they were used to. People challenge them just the same in the new forum. Here is an example with me being the challenger: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Furutec-Demag
Perhaps very telling the way that thread ended. With "Mike Lavigne" in posts 471 & 474 balking at the parameters you suggest for a how a subjectivist should best "share his experiences". He states that while he appreciates your respectively oppositional demeanor, he still ends up feeling slighted all the same. He, like many audiophiles, view subjective, uncontrolled experiences to be the core of their approach for finding both truth and enjoyment in the hobby.

What it reveals, I think, is that those like him will seldom be swayed by the (ultimately surface) courtesies you wish to establish among all objectivists. No matter if every objectivist post began with "I am genuinely interested in hearing about your listening experiences", people coming from the perspective of Mike Lavigne will still feel chided all the same. Once the respectful pleasantries have been exchanged, when it becomes clear to them that their experiences and reasoning is going to be challenged, no matter how respectfully, the defensive wall goes up.

In the end, Mike remained unswayed, no progress made, but he does come out still liking you. Better than him not liking you, I suppose. But was any "progress" made?

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #257 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
...I don't just "ague..."
Perfect example of the type of behaviour that you rant against being used by you. You take a typo and use it to demean. Nothing more or less than passive agressive BS.

From an argument point of view, you were making progress in convincing me that, perhaps, you might have a point to be made. But then...BAM...you simply can't pass up the opportunity to make sure you call my typo out publically. To what end? What purpose? I don't need a lesson in spelling, I don't need my nose rubbed in the fact that, holy shite, I actually mispelled a word!!!!! It clearly wasn't a joke. It wasn't meant to be anything but what it was. Mean spirited. Ironic that you rant against mean spirited people while being one yourself.

Useless.

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures ...
post #258 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Perhaps very telling the way that thread ended. With "Mike Lavigne" in posts 471 & 474 balking at the parameters you suggest for a how a subjectivist should best "share his experiences". He states that while he appreciates your respectively oppositional demeanor, he still ends up feeling slighted all the same. He, like many audiophiles, view subjective, uncontrolled experiences to be the core of their approach for finding both truth and enjoyment in the hobby.

To his credit, Lavigne, who has an 'ultra ultra' high end setup, took a DBT (I think it was LP vs digitized LP, I might be mistaken) when he was a poster here at AVSF. The result: the big differences he thought he heard, sighted, weren't reliably detected when presented 'blind'.

He came to think that maybe, just maybe, subjective perceptions *weren't* the path to audio truth.

To his discredit, that lasted about a week.
post #259 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Loving that Furutech thread, Amir -- it's been awhile since I checked it out. Can't wait to get to the part where you tear Fremer a new a-hole. But already I notice you like to write stuff like this

Quote:

Well, once upon a time there was a forum where a couple of people were taking a beating to every audiophile there, claiming a $200 AVR was just as good as any other product and that a $1 DAC in a receiver performed the same as a dedicated DAC.

I'm not sure anyone at 'a forum once upon a time' ever wrote exactly that, or ever meant exactly that. Smells a bit of fertilizer, and it's a bit provocative and argument-startingto misrepresent the telling little details that way, don't you think? Bolding mine.

Quote:

I had my dogmatic years of not believing in anything high-end but it all finished in 10 years ago when I did my share of blind tests and did find differences in things that I thought would not be different.

Ah, those famous game-changing blind tests of yours , that we'll never get the data for. Oh well. I won't reveal my top-secret equipment list to you, so i guess we're even.

Quote:

So I take some exception to Greg picking me to represent one side . I have no side! I am a mix of science and experiences. Sometimes that tilts me one way, sometimes the other. If I believe in one thing is this: the "truth" is in the middle. I don't want to be there to be sure as a person in the middle gets hit by both sides as you may have seen with my battles with Ethan and Greg . But I see no way out of it. Too many experiences to put aside to stick to one camp or the other's point of view.

Woo woo!

AND as a bonus in that thread, you get to watch Amir argue with a lawyer who believes in homeopathy!
post #260 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To his credit, Lavigne, who has an 'ultra ultra' high end setup, took a DBT (I think it was LP vs digitized LP, I might be mistaken) when he was a poster here at AVSF. The result: the big differences he thought he heard, sighted, weren't reliably detected when presented 'blind'.

He came to think that maybe, just maybe, subjective perceptions *weren't* the path to audio truth.

That lasted about a week.

Familiar with this, krabapple?

http://www.cell.com/neuron/retrieve/...96627304006129

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #261 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Familiar with this, krabapple?

http://www.cell.com/neuron/retrieve/...96627304006129

Not familiar, but I think I've seen it before. We have work like this, the widely-publicized wine pricing vs preference experiment, and plenty of other data to show how often the data presented by our senses are highly warped by post processing. One would think that would undermines the whole 'subjectivist' viewpoint to a rational person. But I suspect Mike Lavigne's high-end gear suppliers aren't worried even a tiny bit.
post #262 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Amir, I notice Bruce of Puget Sounds took his bat and ball and left the Furutech thread too, after making a far too definitive statement about the before/after demag test -- a test which, as several noted, fatally failed to control for normal play-to-play variability (which turns out to be comparatively huge) .

And then he came back.

mep and Orb got kind of stroppy too, not just Lavigne. Seems the discussion can get a bit huffy over there. Vinylphiles are a thin-skinned bunch, IME. (I recognize lots of those posters from audioholics , this forum, IMWAN, Hoffman's, and elsewhere..maybe even Usenet)

And then there's this ..

Quote:
OTOH i will never really think to bring my personal listening opinions about new gear here (or at least i'll seldom do that). why? because the environment does not respect listening.

which is no problem. but it does mean that what we have is Ceasar openning thread after thread of interesting topics, many of which i've enjoyed posting in, but not much learning about gear.

i'll post my listening opinions on Audiogon or audioasylum instead. the culture of this forum is not going to change.
That's Mike Lavigne writing about...Amir's WBF.

Btw, this marks something like my 275th post in the 2-channel subforum, according to the searchable archive. I'm a fixture!.
post #263 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
To his credit, Lavigne, who has an 'ultra ultra' high end setup, took a DBT (I think it was LP vs digitized LP, I might be mistaken) when he was a poster here at AVSF.
Nope, twas cables.

Quote:
The result: the big differences he thought he heard, sighted, weren't reliably detected when presented 'blind'.

To his discredit, that lasted about a week.
As predicted.
The irony is that in his WTF?? forum posts, he unwittingly repeatedly advocates for DBTs as the preferred method of determination.

cheers,

AJ
post #264 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Amir, I notice Bruce of Puget Sounds took his bat and ball and left the Furutech thread too, after making a far too definitive statement about the before/after demag test -- a test which, as several noted, fatally failed to control for normal play-to-play variability (which turns out to be comparatively huge) .

And then he came back.

mep and Orb got kind of stroppy too, not just Lavigne. Seems the discussion can get a bit huffy over there.
Indeed. We have spirited debates there just the same, contrary to misinformation the usual suspects here like to spread . What is different is that we don't have stalkers like Diomaniac and Savant, or nonconstructive posters like AJ. And other folks who only argue and contribute nothing else to audio discussions in general. Importantly, no one gets too personal as routinely occurs here.

Quote:
Vinylphiles are a thin-skinned bunch, IME. (I recognize lots of those posters from audioholics , this forum, IMWAN, Hoffman's, and elsewhere..maybe even Usenet)
It is not a matter of having a thin skin. It is a matter of getting tired of you all raising the same two points and not wanting to discuss anything else. Approach them as we did in that thread, creating tests and learning, and they at lest isten.

Quote:
That's Mike Lavigne writing about...Amir's WBF.
He had a good point actually. He is not specific about it there but the issue was that Ethan was carrying the objectivists flag with asking for proof and such in many threads. What got them upset wasn't that part of it, but the fact that he was anointed the "technical expert" by us due to him having his own private forum. Members complained that he a) had higher powers than them and b) must have been representing our (management) views given that title. Neither was the case of course but appearances were that. It would be as if Alan was taking a strong point of view here and pushing folks into corner. Folks would think it is an uneven playing field.

So we took action to resolve that which sadly resulted in Ethan leaving the forum (his choice, not ours).

Quote:
Btw, this marks something like my 275th post in the 2-channel subforum, according to the searchable archive. I'm a fixture!.
I am glad you figured out how to use search .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #265 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Perfect example of the type of behaviour that you rant against being used by you. You take a typo and use it to demean. Nothing more or less than passive agressive BS.
I had to read that three times to figure out what you meant. I kept seeing you quoting *me* having misspelled the word, yet you were talking about you doing the same. It wasn't until I went back to what you said that I realized we both misspelled the word!

You can see I did not spell the word your way. It was just a coincident in that manner and not at all the meaning you took from it.

Quote:
From an argument point of view, you were making progress in convincing me that, perhaps, you might have a point to be made. But then...BAM...you simply can't pass up the opportunity to make sure you call my typo out publically.
Well, now that you see it was not meant that way, let's see if you do take my points to heart.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #266 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm not sure anyone at 'a forum once upon a time' ever wrote exactly that, or ever meant exactly that. Smells a bit of fertilizer, and it's a bit provocative and argument-startingto misrepresent the telling little details that way, don't you think? Bolding mine.
Fish fertilizer? You are not trying to be Chu, are you?

Here is a sampling of said fertilizer that was the basis of said post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Saying that they will always sound different seems highly presumptuous. Technical differences don't always correlate with audible differences. Modern gear can be so close to being perfect that two devices with excellent but vastly different technical performance will still sound the same.
As you see, it walks and talks like a duck. Oops, I meant duck poop.

Quote:
Ah, those famous game-changing blind tests of yours , that we'll never get the data for. Oh well. I won't reveal my top-secret equipment list to you, so i guess we're even.
My test data is public in this forum and heavily discussed. Indeed, some people posting in this thread participated in them.

Quote:
AND as a bonus in that thread, you get to watch Amir argue with a lawyer who believes in homeopathy!
At least I am not in the company of people believing in aliens living with us .

But by all means, I am proud of my stance in not being hard over in any one direction as a whole. I look at each situation and decide what position the science -- not the Internet folklore -- supports and what it doesn't.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #267 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had to read that three times to figure out what you meant. I kept seeing you quoting *me* having misspelled the word, yet you were talking about you doing the same. It wasn't until I went back to what you said that I realized we both misspelled the word!.
You insult my intelligence if you expect me to believe the crap you posted above. Your quotation marks around my misspelled word were meant exactly as they were taken. As an insult. While you scream "foul" over what you see as aggressive posts, you insert passive aggresive BS and expect it to get by. Pathetic.

I think that you should stop throwing stones as your glass house is in jeapordy of breaking.

post #268 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You've got a text file or something of stuff Arny's said. What do you call it? Arny Insults.txt? And you've probably got them for everyone else. Man, that's just mentally disturbed.

post #269 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You insult my intelligence if you expect me to believe the crap you posted above. Your quotation marks around my misspelled word were meant exactly as they were taken. As an insult. While you scream "foul" over what you see as aggressive posts, you insert passive aggresive BS and expect it to get by. Pathetic.
Precisely what I thought. You were not sincere in the least in saying if that was not the case, you would gone along with what I said. Now that I have shown you to have been mistaken in your assumption, you backtrack with "don't insult me" line. How hard would have bee to say, "oh, never mind then?" Too hard apparently.

Quote:
I think that you should stop throwing stones as your glass house is in jeapordy of breaking.
Here we go again. For the tenth time, you can talk to me however you like. My skin is quite thick. I put up with folks 10X worse than the way you are doing. I am not your victim and you only help me along with using the language above. Throw all the stones you like. This is not about me. It is about you driving out others who don't put up with the language and style you are using in this post. And with it, we lose hearing about their experiences.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #270 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
You've got a text file or something of stuff Arny's said. What do you call it? Arny Insults.txt? And you've probably got them for everyone else. Man, that's just mentally disturbed.
I wish I didn't have to relive them. But a moment does not go by where one of you don't disown your own claims, forcing me to go look up those talking points. As just occurred. As it occurs every other day.

PS It is no text file. It is knowing how to properly search .

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page