New 2.1 suggestions wanted - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys... first post here.

I'm looking to piece together a nice 2.1 system.

I currently have a pair of M-Audio AV 40 studio monitors and they are great for $150 but I really don't like them a lot (especially when compared to my dad's legacy floor standing monsters).

Pretty much I am looking for L/R mains (bookshelf sized, maybe a little bigger, nothing that has a woofer bigger than 8"), amp (or preamp/amp combo), SACD player (preferably a blue ray player in that), and recommended wiring.

I really don't have a budget (although I am in college so lets not go overboard here into the $+1k for an amp) and open to suggestions.

Keep in mind I am in a small concrete room. I know I will have to do some acoustic treatment to get rid of some reflections.

My thought was I would like to get a nice enough pair of main L/R so that I don't need a sub while listening to music. I'm huge huge huge on tight bass which is why I don't want to add a sub (at least for music listening) as it will just reverberate forever in this room.

I do plan on buying the Definitive tech Supercube 3 for movies and once in a while when I want to actually feel some kick from my music. My dad has the super cube 2 and I am blown away by it while watching a movie, though it isn't so good for music.

Edit: Also need to make sure I can have digital i/o from the SACD player into the preamp.

So, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-04-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Your open budget can be a little tricky in terms of recommendations. I recently put together a reasonably-priced 2.1 SACD system in a small room with Ascend Sierra-1 speakers and an Oppo universal disc player. I did a ton of research beforehand and both brands are well regarded here on AVS. Below are the links (the Oppo is a different model than mine as I didn't need a Bluray player in that room). Cables and interconnects from www.monoprice.com, and for the price to quality ratio you can probably do better than the Def Tech Supercube.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM1/srm1.html

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-05-2011, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well if u feel u need more in the low end frequencies why not consider an active 8-10" sub with line level in and out to connect to those AV40s?
post #4 of 5 Old 10-05-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBookGeek View Post

My thought was I would like to get a nice enough pair of main L/R so that I don't need a sub while listening to music. I'm huge huge huge on tight bass which is why I don't want to add a sub (at least for music listening) as it will just reverberate forever in this room.

So, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

I think you've never heard a well integrated 2.1 sub playing music. Look for a sealed sub - in that space it doesn't need to be big and will do fine with movies. Something in a 10" should suffice.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 10-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I own the mentioned AV40s and they are quite nice for near field listening. Though I wouldn't use them at a party or for home theater. Is this setup to be your computer speakers or for home theater / music?

If for computer I would suggest a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 if you are after better bass at $150 or an upgrade to a better pair of monitors, like Focal CMS40.

I have a Marantz PM8004 and it is a very nice amp, but it's another $800-1000 for a matching source. Your budget is quite open-ended. Since you mentioned not $1000s+ for the amp I will try to keep each piece below that.

Marantz PM8004 - $999
Marantz SA8004 - $999
Paradigm Studio 20 or S1 - $1200

The SA8004 can take direct digital in / act like a DAC. Plays right from USB / iPod. There is also the Marantz UD5005 for about $500. SACD and Blu-ray. At that price point though I would probably go with the Oppo mentioned above. Is this pre / amp for home theater or 2-channel only? If this is for a TV, even 2-channels at first I would def. consider an AVR instead.

I have the above setup with the S2 and it is very nice. The bass is very accurate & tight. I have no desire for a sub. The Studio 20 has similar lows, but most notably does not have the Be tweeter.

If you are looking for a cheaper entry level amp I would checkout the Marantz PM5004, Yamaha A-S500BL, or Emotiva USP-1 preamp.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page