Hate when wife says yes..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I decided that I need to listen to more 2 channel music and since my Onkyo/Emotiva/PSB HT setup is in the living room utilized by my wife and kids I would set up the 2 channel system in my office.
I ordered a pair of EMP Tek E5bi, bought a Fiio D3, used my old NAD 302 and Velodune CHT-10 to play my HD Tracks files via optical out from PC. Total budget route.

Of course upgraditus quickly set in and started looking at Peachtree Decco2, MH A15.2, Emotiva XDA-1/UPA-2 and a few others figuring I would have to carefully manipulat..I mean convinve my wife. She said she would get me the Decco2 for Christmas.

Now I wonder if the ~$600 would be better spent elsewhare. Not too many places to audition here in Austin so relying on input from you guys.

Leaning towrds the Music Hall A15.2 but don't see a way to hook up the sub and control volume at MH, Emo XDA-1 + UPA-2 (could run to line in on sub from XDA-1, then line out to UPA-2,) upgrade speakers to PSB Image B6/Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, save for Rega Brio R, Cambridge AR-30? Arrggh!

Now that she said yes I am spinning in circles.
What would you do if it was your system? Listen to Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Smooth Jazz, Electric Blues.

Thanks

The world's intelligence is a constant, the population is growing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 10:49 AM

I've got the A15.2, but i haven't used the line out yet for a possible sub but the amp itself is great for the money.
also in austin area as well

you can actually order the Music hall from Audio Systems in town, but they don't keep them in-stock.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Coolsax.
I listensed to the Cambridge AR-30 there, but left me wanting more.

What speakers are you driving with it, if you don't mind me asking?
I am pretty sure the line out is fixed on the 15.2 but maybe I can
do without a sub.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 02:34 PM

For what it's worth, I'm enjoying my original Decco in the office as I type this, driving Era 4 speakers. My Mac's playing lossless files and it sounds great to me. The Decco's are pretty as well.

Full disclosure, I had a problem with my unit and it was replaced and about a year later another problem occurred. It was repaired gratis other than shipping to Peachtree.

But the combo of SS with a tube does make even compressed files sound good.

If your wife is giving you a present, do you really want to make it hard for her?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdash View Post

Thanks Coolsax.
I listensed to the Cambridge AR-30 there, but left me wanting more.

What speakers are you driving with it, if you don't mind me asking?
I am pretty sure the line out is fixed on the 15.2 but maybe I can
do without a sub.

i'm running Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1s
i get plenty of bass response, and while i've considered integrating a sub. i don't think one is needed.. however i am running my setup in a fairly small room. 10X14 feet Max.

i'm not surprised you wanted more from the cambridge its a receiver with only 40wpc though that is more than your current NAD. If i hadn't gone with the 15.2 i more likely would have gone with one of their NAD integrated amps they have at audio systems... I went with the Music Hall because i like to run vinyl from time to time, but most of my music is done from my home music server using FLAC using my laptop as the source attached to a HRT Music Streamer II.

if you want to add a sub to the MH you could always find a sub with a remote, while not common is more and more available.

also you might want to look at the HK 3490 its a 2 channel receiver with 120wpc that is high current so can also run 4ohm speakers. its has a dual subwoofer out and gets good reviews. i also considered it myself but never got around to auditioning it somewhere.
if price is a consideration .. the HK should be the cheapest of all your considering and it does have an onboard DAC for running optical.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-22-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
I of course always want to make it easy for my wife, but in reality she is saying the Decco2 to simply get me to stop pouring through forums and researching - hmm, maybe I need to spend more time with her... Thanks Sugith :-)

Those Sierra's sure look nice. The HK seems good but I am hoping to stay with something smaller. Room is also small 12x13. The speakers are on stands on each side of my desk so some nearfield listening too.

Maybe I'll just pick up a Qinpu A6000 MKII for $250 and try some tube groove.

Must eat Turkey, watch football and nap on it.

post #7 of 9 Old 11-22-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

I just saw that Emotiva has the new Mini-x a100 amp available, 60wx2 @ 8ohms, 80wx2 at @4ohms, volume/variable line out/but only 1 in (since my PC is the only thing I will hook up not a deal breaker).
I will give it a try since they have the 30 day return policy. I love my UPA-7.

post #8 of 9 Old 11-22-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdash View Post

I just saw that Emotiva has the new Mini-x a100 amp available, 60wx2 @ 8ohms, 80wx2 at @4ohms, volume/variable line out/but only 1 in (since my PC is the only thing I will hook up not a deal breaker).
I will give it a try since they have the 30 day return policy. I love my UPA-7.

wow I didn't realize emotiva had recently put out an integrated amp.. if you only have one input it seems like a very nice option especially for the price, doesn't seem to have a remote though.

I understand on the size of the HK that was one of my issues with it as well as to why i didn't end up auditioning it.

the Decco 2 is a nice piece as well, but doesn't have a ton of power and is not really high current, so if you upgrade to 4ohm speakers you might have issues depending on how loud you play it. If its USB dac had asynchronous processing i might have gone that route as a possible dac/preamp.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-29-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I ended up with a Marantz M-CR603 after reading positive input on the WhatHiFi forums.
It sounds pretty darn good with the EmpTek speakers, although most of the other owners seem to favor either the B&W 685 or Monitor Audio BX2, maybe I will audition them.....

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page