Capable Speakers for Roth MC4 iPod/iPhone tube amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-10-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Like the title says I need a speaker set for my wife's new Roth MC4 Music Cocoon hybrid tube amp using her iPhone 4S and CD as sources. Just wondering what others are running on these units or anything of similar design? The Roth appears to be just what the doctor ordered for even lossy downloads ... and the price is irresistible now. Thus far we have avoided the MP3 world, even though our Sony car audio CD head has a cable connection, so this will be our entry foray.

Received the first of 2 of these amps and hurriedly tested it with my main system tower speakers with a jury-rigged setup while my wife was out Christmas shopping. Very impressed just using a handy, cheap multi-region DVD player (Philips DVP3960) as CD source. Can't wait to see what a difference it will make with her iPhone and MP3s. MosFets produce prodigious Bass. I need the speakers for the upstairs bedroom which is where she will likely use this amp/dock. Small size required with full quality sound a bonus. Second MC4 will be for me in the main system. Will need to pick up a decent amp selector to avoid having to switch out with my mains and Parasound amp.

Already have some ideas in mind about the speakers but like to bounce things off the wall here.

Thanks for any help.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hsu Bookshelf speakers - HB1-Mk2 and a sub! They will couple nicely with that little puppy! I would also look into a bit of tube rolling. Looks like you have pairs of Electro Harmonix 12AX7s and 12AU7s. They're decent but you might be surprised by acquiring some new Genalex or Psvane drivers. It will completely change the voice!

Surfing the Bleeding Edge!
post #3 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 AM

I've heard nothing but great reports about the sq of these bookshelf speakers.
They are on a great sale today (12/11/2011) http://sellout.woot.com/sale/22958
post #4 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you both for the suggestions. Each is wonderful in it's own way but unfortunately both are just too tall for the space available in the upstairs open cabinet.

I've owned Pioneer speakers before and always thought highly of them for the money spent but I have to admit those Hsu speakers are what I would truly like if I had the cabinet space upstairs. Crazy good value and design with the higher sensitivity spec I hear is recommended with the Roth, at least to keep S/N ratio useful at higher than 1/2 volume. I may get a set in Rosenut for the main listening area and run a dedicated 2 channel setup. I know it would be smarter to simply go with a 2 channel preamp using HT bypass with my main system but I love the sound from the Roth amp and those MosFets. Call me crazy.

Please keep any good ideas coming. I need something no taller than 12" and trying for now to avoid the typical smaller speakers from places like NewEgg, etc.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 12:19 PM

What is your budget for the speakers? Role Audio has a line of very good sounding small speakers that fit your size criteria. Pricing for the speakers can be found on the page for each individual model. They design and make all their speakers in Virginia, if that matters. http://www.roleaudio.com/technical-info.html
post #6 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks David. Actually I don't need anything too pricey or eclectic for the wife's setup upstairs. Just need decent quality under 12" tall and some wood stain like rosenut or cherry perhaps. Wife wouldn't care for black, even in the cabinet. Budget max ---say $400?

Paul
post #7 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 01:36 PM

Are Polk speakers acceptable? I think the Rti A1 speakers are very attractive in cherry finish. And the finish is a real wood veneer, not vinyl.http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTIA...d%7cPolk+Audio
post #8 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Take a look at the Ascend CMB-170 SE. They're 12" tall and available in any color/finish you want (for an additional cost, base model is $300).

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m170finop.html

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-11-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

David,

Yes I am looking at Polks. Probably the Tsi 100's thus far for the upstairs cabinet. Vinyl wrapped, I know, but a perfect fit as well ... but I haven't gone through all of the models yet for sizing.

Holt,

I will definitely consider the Ascends for the downstairs 2 channel system with the second Roth MC4. Have heard nothing but good things about the various Ascends. Still intrigued by mhardyman's suggestion for the Hsu HB1 Mk2 as well. Thanks.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an update for anyone interested and a thank you to all who replied with speaker and tube suggestions.

It came down to the Wharfedale 10.1s or the Polk Rti A1s due to my severe sizing restrictions both in height and width in the upstairs cabinet. The Wharfies were soooooooo tempting because my Front L-R speakers in the Main system are Wharfedale Emerald 97 towers and the Brits just seem to get these things right ... at least for much of the Music we listen to. But the Polks, while slightly taller, were a hair better fit size-wise in width with a charted response that was very close to the 10.1s, even on the low end. The Wharfies also had a 86dB Sensitivity rating which I wanted to avoid with this small 13W/Ch tube hybrid amp ... although it drove the main system towers rated at 6 Ohm - 88dB with absolute ease, I must say, and with powerful Stereo Bass response. In the end, however, the further price drop on Amazon with free S/H after Christmas just sealed the deal for the Polks.

So the A1s were ordered post-Christmas and shipped overnight after making sure my wife wanted to keep the Roth MC4 as dock/amp for her new iPhone 4s, which she loves. Now we need to get something like the CA Sonata CD30 player to complete the setup. Or maybe save a little and go with the CA DV30 since we could use both CD and DVD in this system. And naturally we are eagerly anticipating hearing MP3 downloads through some better quality amping and speakers than the Panasonic mini-system we had in place. Until she begins acquiring her download collection, I will use the surprisingly capable but still too wide Philips DVP3960 for CD/DVD play.

Many thanks again to all who took an interest.

Paul

post #11 of 12 Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM

Maybe only slightly above your price range, but sound phenomenal! Silverline Minuets or Minuet Supremes (even better). These would work later with much higher power and quality amplifiers too. Bought mine used on Audiogon.com for $450.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the find AudioHank. I love the setup we have with the Polks but sizewise the little Minuets in either variety look intriguing. I might want a set for the computer.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page