Classe CP-800 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This appears to be out, and I can't really find anything on it. Does anybody have one? Can anyone figure out the capability of the USB input -- 24/96 or 24/192?

It seems like the perfect unit to pair with an inexpensive pre-pro since it does 2 channel so well, but it would be good to get a sense of how people are using it. For example, do you hook your sub up to this or your pre-pro (or both)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
From Classe's website: http://www.classeaudio.com/delta/delta-cp800.htm A bunch of other literature there also for the CP-800.

Asynchronous USB input - good! - and it sounds like the Apple thingy input may be able to take the PCM from an Ipod or such instead of having the Apple device do the D/A. It's also takes HDMI 2.1 audio and does 2-ch EQ.

From reading the docs, it does have sub outputs and pass-thru, but it seems to be made for 2-ch setup. Their SSP-800 is for mch.

The unit is very nice! It's $5k.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 48 Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Heard the Classe at my local dealers and the Classe Rep was there giving a demo. It was hooked up to a pair of B&W 802D's. The music was played through a laptop. The sound was on par w/any ultra highend CD player I've listened to. A must audition if your in the market for a 2-channel preamp that excells in digital.
post #4 of 48 Old 12-15-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't see any HDMI connectors though. The HDMI 2.1 would be cool if it exists. Maybe I just missed the connector on the back.

I asked Classe about the USB input. It does 24/96 now and will go up to 192 after the software upgrade due at some point next year.

Also, Peachtree's new Grand Pre is very similar but not as flexible. But it is $3k with a 2 yr warranty vs. $5k with a 5 year warranty (though I am not 100% sure about the Classe warranty).
post #5 of 48 Old 12-16-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was informed by Classe that there is no HDMI on this unit. It has a 5 yr warranty.
post #6 of 48 Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For what it is worth, I borrowed one of these from my dealer to see how good it sounded. It is very easy to set up, and it looks great. I used my computer via USB, and I used my Oppo blu-ray player. I have absolutely not complaints. They did a really nice job designing the piece. I didn't play with the filters to adjust the bass -- I only used 2 channel (Dynaudio Sapphire speakers and a Bryston 4BSST2 amp).

My only issue was that it was indistinguishable from my Integra 9.9 (which is also capable of playing up to 24/192 but I didn't try any of those files). If I were forced to say something, it would be that the Classe was just a touch less bright. But that is really reaching for things. I compared using matched volume levels and a variety of discs (jack johnson, jackson browne, lyle lovett).

Perhaps I have ears of wood, but the other people who I played it for could not tell a difference either. My personal opinion is that electronics just don't matter that much anymore, as long as they are competently engineered. But I know others will disagree.
post #7 of 48 Old 01-02-2012, 04:29 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Got one with a CA-2100 and paired with Audirvana it is extremely impressive, I love it I have it hooked up to my MacBook Air 2011 edition and a pair of Paradigm Reference Signature P-Be S1 v3

http://www.paradigm.com/products/pro...s/signature-s1

The only bad thing is that is if the source is crap, ie bad recorded music remains bad

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 48 Old 03-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am planning to get an SSP-800 for home theater use but also want to listen to two channel audio using a computer audio setup. I was initially planning to just connect a music server using a separate USB to S/PDIF converter and DAC to the SSP-800.

However, when I visited a Classe dealer, he recommended getting the SSP-800 for home theater use and the CP-800 stereo preamp processor for computer audio use. Regarding the CP-800, my understanding that this has both a stereo analog/digital preamp and an asynchronous USB DAC contained in one component. This means that I can plug an Aurender S10 music server into the CP-800 using a USB cable and output to the SSP-800. The CP-800 accepts PCM data streams up to 24bit/192kHz sampling frequency. The dealer said that the DAC in the CP-800 was far superior to the one used in the SSP-800.

Does anyone have experience using the CP-800 for computer audio use and if so what is the sound quality like compared to a high quality CD player? Classe claims that when playing computer audio files, the CP-800 surpasses the sound quality of a good CD player.

The dealer also said that Classe products are price protected and that he could not sell them below the list prices. Is it true that there is no room for negotiation on the list prices for new components? Can the dealer lower prices on only demo items?
post #9 of 48 Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
wwwBladelius.com/ Check this out the Bladelius Embla.
post #10 of 48 Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

wwwBladelius.com/ Check this out the Bladelius Embla.

Yeah, I know about the Bladelius Embla.
The Bladelius Embla CD Player/DAC/Preamp/Music Server comes in three flavors; Standard ($4,500), Basic ($6,000) and Classic ($9,000) all sporting a large touch screen display. The Basic model includes five digital inputs (AES/EBU, RCA, Toslink, USB, Ethernet and optional Blutooth) all capable of accepting up to 32-bit/192kHz data. The Basic model adds a 32GB Solid State Drive so you can rip your music to SSD or play it from disc and the Classic adds a 64GB SSD drive and 3 analog inputs. You can load up your Embla with up to 2TB of Solid State Storage goodness (I did not get the price for this but figurea lot).

However, I think that the Aurender S10 is a better sounding music server which is cheaper than the Embla when similarly configured.

http://www.aurender.com/index.html
post #11 of 48 Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Does anyone know if the ethernet upgrade is ready?
post #12 of 48 Old 05-19-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

Does anyone know if the ethernet upgrade is ready?

See this thread on the HTGuide forum:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...t=37483&page=2

Current approximation from Classe is "late Summer".

I'm nerdy in the extreme, I'm whiter than sour cream...
post #13 of 48 Old 05-19-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr View Post

See this thread on the HTGuide forum:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...t=37483&page=2

Current approximation from Classe is "late Summer".

Thanks. I'll wait and see. I've learned the hard way not to do vapor ware. It reduces the frustration factor.
post #14 of 48 Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

Thanks. I'll wait and see. I've learned the hard way not to do vapor ware. It reduces the frustration factor.

I'm taking the same wait and see approach on this one. Note that the upgrade will be paid and that new units produced afterwards will have the functionality built-in but the resulting MSRP will be higher.

I'm nerdy in the extreme, I'm whiter than sour cream...
post #15 of 48 Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooStat View Post

This appears to be out, and I can't really find anything on it. Does anybody have one? Can anyone figure out the capability of the USB input -- 24/96 or 24/192?

It seems like the perfect unit to pair with an inexpensive pre-pro since it does 2 channel so well, but it would be good to get a sense of how people are using it. For example, do you hook your sub up to this or your pre-pro (or both)?

The interior shots show construction practices that while very nic
e are similar to those found in mainstream receivers. Can anybody recognize a mainstream product that it might be based on?
post #16 of 48 Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The interior shots show construction practices that while very nic
e are similar to those found in mainstream receivers. Can anybody recognize a mainstream product that it might be based on?

Just guessing SSP-800?
post #17 of 48 Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM

Liked: 11
Wow, there is some nice equipment in this thread.
post #18 of 48 Old 05-21-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSerf View Post

Wow, there is some nice equipment in this thread.

Talk is cheap!
post #19 of 48 Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Talk is cheap!

Huh?
post #20 of 48 Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
When you get rid of that Bryston amplifier and get a cheaper one, you will find out how much difference an amplifier makes...lol. I upgraded from a cheaper amplifier to the 3B-SST2 and it was a major improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooStat View Post

For what it is worth, I borrowed one of these from my dealer to see how good it sounded. It is very easy to set up, and it looks great. I used my computer via USB, and I used my Oppo blu-ray player. I have absolutely not complaints. They did a really nice job designing the piece. I didn't play with the filters to adjust the bass -- I only used 2 channel (Dynaudio Sapphire speakers and a Bryston 4BSST2 amp).

My only issue was that it was indistinguishable from my Integra 9.9 (which is also capable of playing up to 24/192 but I didn't try any of those files). If I were forced to say something, it would be that the Classe was just a touch less bright. But that is really reaching for things. I compared using matched volume levels and a variety of discs (jack johnson, jackson browne, lyle lovett).

Perhaps I have ears of wood, but the other people who I played it for could not tell a difference either. My personal opinion is that electronics just don't matter that much anymore, as long as they are competently engineered. But I know others will disagree.

post #21 of 48 Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I've been listing to my CP 800 for a few weeks now, and it's a great unit in many ways, but I find the USB input not as musical either analog or optical in. Maybe I'm crazy, but it sounds a little less spacious, a little less articulate, and even lower in output volume slightly than the other inputs.

I'm using a Mac Mini with Pure Music software - all lossless rips of 44.1, outputting either at native 44.1 or 88.2 to test.

Analog in is USB from the Mac Mini to an external M2Tech Young DAC, analog out from the DAC to the CP-800. Optical is direct from the Mac Mini to the CP 800.

The analog and optical sound the best to me - very wide and deep soundstage....USB into the CP-800 a bit lacking

I know Classe is planning some USB and ethernet related firmware/hardware upgrades in the future (more for higher USB sample rates is my understanding) but I wonder if the USB is still a little bit a work in progress for Classe...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 48 Old 07-05-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Any news on the Ethernet front?
post #23 of 48 Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm guessing next year (2013) . Although they may be able to preview something by the end of 2012.
post #24 of 48 Old 04-14-2013, 05:10 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Upgrade coming soon at a price!

My humble Cinema
post #25 of 48 Old 04-15-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Talk is cheap!

Huh?

Just kvetching about how audiophiles do the worst possible listening evaluations in terms of level matching, matching the music being listened to, and bias controls and then base far-reaching conclusions on them... They don't know how impossible their claims really are.

Someone tries to do it right:

http://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm
post #26 of 48 Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Please post pictures of you Classe systems here :)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1468049/class-audio-hifi-home-theater-pictures

My humble Cinema
post #27 of 48 Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Does anyone know if the network upgrades for Airplay were ever done for the SP-800? The information out there seems a bit unclear. Also, it doesn't appear that Classe has a current integrated amp model available. Is the only Classe option to go with separates? the CAP-2100 is listed as discontinued.
post #28 of 48 Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View PostDoes anyone know if the network upgrades for Airplay were ever done for the SP-800? The information out there seems a bit unclear. Also, it doesn't appear that Classe has a current integrated amp model available. Is the only Classe option to go with separates? the CAP-2100 is listed as discontinued.

Nope :(

My humble Cinema
post #29 of 48 Old 10-02-2013, 04:37 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Classe introduced the CA-D200, their first Class D amplifier. 
This stereo amplifier is rated at 200W@8ohms and 400W@4ohmns. 
The MSRP is $4,000.  A multi-channel companion is not in the works at the moment.

Classe.jpg
Tank_PD likes this.

My humble Cinema
post #30 of 48 Old 10-28-2013, 07:21 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

2014 now for the upgrade price to go up to $6000

My humble Cinema
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page