Figuring out cartridge specs - HELP needed! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi - a couple of months back I purchased a Sony PS-FL1 TT - it's a cool little unit that has a slide out drawer, rather than a lift-up dust cover; great because I am placing it in a cabinet.

So, first issue that comes up is that I need a phono preamp, because my AVR doesn't have phono input. In looking at the preamps I became confused as to how to choose one - I posted on this forum and some responses were that I should choose based on the specs of my cartridge.

I talked to the guy I bought the TT from and he said that he had changed out the needle, but that the cartridge was likely the original - thus, I believe it to be a Sony VL-5. But, I can't find any specs on it.

If anyone could help with this, it would be appreciated.

I love it when a [HT] plan comes together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I think you were misreading that advice.

This isn't the be-all and end-all of turntables, but as you say it's a very convenient design. Spend about $50 at www.phonopreamps.com and you'll be fine.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 3 Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
The Musical Fidelity V-LPS for $99 at Audio Advisor is a heck of a good deal. It is way better than its price might lead you to believe; excellent actually!

It has two sets of inputs, one set for Moving Magnet cartridges, and another for Moving Coil cartridges, so it will work with your cartridge regardless of type.

I think what the person was referring to was the difference in voltage output between the two types. A moving coil puts out a very low voltage; I'm fairly sure yours is a moving-magnet type which puts out a bit more.

A phono preamp does two things; amplification and RIAA equalization. The bass on the vinyl is recorded using a RIAA equalization filter that reduces the bass amplitude, so the phono preamp has to have a reverse RIAA filter to get the bass amplified back up to normal levels. If they didn't do this during the record mastering process the bass information would take up too much space on the record and maximum playing time would be very short.

BTW, have you looked at the KAB Electro Acoustics site? They list a replacement stylus for that cartridge and have a lot of good information re understanding cartridges and types of mounting etc.

www.kabusa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post

Hi - a couple of months back I purchased a Sony PS-FL1 TT - it's a cool little unit that has a slide out drawer, rather than a lift-up dust cover; great because I am placing it in a cabinet.

So, first issue that comes up is that I need a phono preamp, because my AVR doesn't have phono input. In looking at the preamps I became confused as to how to choose one - I posted on this forum and some responses were that I should choose based on the specs of my cartridge.

I talked to the guy I bought the TT from and he said that he had changed out the needle, but that the cartridge was likely the original - thus, I believe it to be a Sony VL-5. But, I can't find any specs on it.

If anyone could help with this, it would be appreciated.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page