Vibration isolating a turntable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For both aesthetic and usability reasons, I want to put my turntable on a wall mounted glass shelf (see below). However, the glass is going to pick up vibration while playing music. So, what I think I’m going to do is still mount it on the wall, but put two layers of 1/2 lbs. mass loaded vinyl (it’s THE sound proofer of choice) I have left over under it, and then mount the turntable itself on sorbothane hemispheres. I can also put a mass loaded vinyl layer between the glass shelf and mounting arm, and another one between the wall and mounting arm. Considering the shelf itself is mounted to a wood stud, I think this would actually provide a good level of vibration isolation, even better than what I have now. What do you think?

glass shelf:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

mass loaded vinyl:
http://www.soundproofingamerica.com/...aded-vinyl.asp

sorbothane hemispheres:
http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Star-Is...6479114&sr=8-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Zoltank,

There are two vibration issues anytime you place a turntable. I suspect you are more concerned with the first.

The first are the vibrations coupled to whatever the turntable is sitting on, like your footsteps shaking the floor where the turntable's floor unit sits. Or closing a cabinet door on the same wall as your glass shelf.

The second are the vibrations caused by the music, vibrating your LP and possibly causing distortion or feedback. This is only a problem if you play your music loud.

Mass-loaded vinyl is very good for sound-proofing, but not very good at isolating vibration. Sorbothane is very good with vibration (I've used it a lot in industrial equipment). Since you have the mass-loaded vinyl already, it certainly won't hurt. But, depending on the structure of your wall, you might still have vibration issues.

I would recommend sorbothane, but I wouldn't trust just four little feet. Low durometer Sorbothane is only effective under light compression, and higher durometer sorbothane is not as effective for low frequencies. Those feet are 50 durometer, which I feel may be too stiff. My technique (but never used for a TT) is to use a 1/2" thick sheet of 30-durometer sorbathane between two stiff surfaces. A second sheet of glass on top of sorbothane should work well for you.

Then again, your turntable might have very good vibration isolation already. All of mine do.

Neither of those materials will help much for the loud-music issue, but a good dust-cover helps a lot there.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

That is some great information. Thank you!

Getting my hands on a sheet of sorbothane like that would be problematic. However, I can get 1" thick by 2" diameter or 1.25" thick by 2.5" diameter hemispheres of 30 durometer sorbothone, and I could place one under each foot of the TT. Would those do the trick better? I figure since I can't really get a sheet, the 1.25" thick ones would be best?

The glass shelf is support by a single hollow steel arm, and I also plan to fill the arm with sand to help damp it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hem...493032&sr=8-12

http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hem...6493032&sr=8-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Zoltank,

There are two vibration issues anytime you place a turntable. I suspect you are more concerned with the first.

The first are the vibrations coupled to whatever the turntable is sitting on, like your footsteps shaking the floor where the turntable's floor unit sits. Or closing a cabinet door on the same wall as your glass shelf.

The second are the vibrations caused by the music, vibrating your LP and possibly causing distortion or feedback. This is only a problem if you play your music loud.

Mass-loaded vinyl is very good for sound-proofing, but not very good at isolating vibration. Sorbothane is very good with vibration (I've used it a lot in industrial equipment). Since you have the mass-loaded vinyl already, it certainly won't hurt. But, depending on the structure of your wall, you might still have vibration issues.

I would recommend sorbothane, but I wouldn't trust just four little feet. Low durometer Sorbothane is only effective under light compression, and higher durometer sorbothane is not as effective for low frequencies. Those feet are 50 durometer, which I feel may be too stiff. My technique (but never used for a TT) is to use a 1/2" thick sheet of 30-durometer sorbathane between two stiff surfaces. A second sheet of glass on top of sorbothane should work well for you.

Then again, your turntable might have very good vibration isolation already. All of mine do.

Neither of those materials will help much for the loud-music issue, but a good dust-cover helps a lot there.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltank View Post

Getting my hands on a sheet of sorbothane like that would be problematic.

I go through http://www.sorbothane.com/

Quote:

The glass shelf is support by a single hollow steel arm, and I also plan to fill the arm with sand to help damp it.

That is a great idea.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 AM

Liked: 16
Other things that will help are placement of the turntable away from a sub and not in the corners of a room. I know it's hard to get the turntable away from walls but anything you can do to get it away from any boundary effect helps a lot. Also be sure to use the sub-sonic filter on the preamp.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2012, 04:43 PM

Check out Vibrapods.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page