Help with Large Room Speaker Selection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-13-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a room that is 22 x 15 with 19 foot ceilings. My wife wants speakers to be close to the wall. I plan on using an Anthem MRX 700 as a pre/pro and buy a stereo amp or integrated for just stereo listening. Thinking Focal, Paradigm, Triton, maybe B&W - but what can I get that will allow for close to wall placement. The side walls are not an issue. I listen at normal levels and want high resolution at lower volume levels and a nice big, deep sound stage. ALways loved the great two-way monitors but maybe I need floor standers. Appreciate your help guys as always.

Thanks.

Bestman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I've always loved 2-way monitors, as well....if I were you I wouldn't rule out that option. If you integrate a subwoofer properly, you can make that work if you get something of relatively good quality. I've used monitors in a large room like that and it worked great with some and really poorly with others. Floorstanders up against the wall can tend to get a little muddy, IMO. My recommendation would be some NOLA Boxers on a good pair of stands, and a decent subwoofer.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the reply. I listened to the NOLA Boxers and agree they were excellent speakers and quite frankly a steal at 1500.00. I was concerned about them being rear ported. In fact the NOLA Contender (floorstander) was even better and quite a bargain at 3400.00 but again I was worried about the rear port. I guess the question is will a front ported design minimize the problem or not? I will and can change the amplification solution to match the speaker as should be the case. I have looked at the Diablo Utopia but at 12K, I need to get some unbiased options and wasn't sure it being front ported would minimize the sonic quality of being close up to the wall anyway.

Bestman
post #4 of 14 Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestman View Post

I appreciate the reply. I listened to the NOLA Boxers and agree they were excellent speakers and quite frankly a steal at 1500.00. I was concerned about them being rear ported. In fact the NOLA Contender (floorstander) was even better and quite a bargain at 3400.00 but again I was worried about the rear port. I guess the question is will a front ported design minimize the problem or not? I will and can change the amplification solution to match the speaker as should be the case. I have looked at the Diablo Utopia but at 12K, I need to get some unbiased options and wasn't sure it being front ported would minimize the sonic quality of being close up to the wall anyway.

If you're looking at speakers in higher price ranges like that, I'd go with a pair of Magnepans and put some casters on them That way you can put them right up against the wall when not in use, and pull them out into the room when listening.

Actually, again, since you seem to be open in terms of budget, I'll give you a great recommendation. A speaker that will maintain the benefits of a 2-way design but in a floorstanding model to help round out the lower end: The DeVore Fidelity Super 8s. They are (I believe) being updated to the Super 88s, but I owned a pair of them for several years and they were the ONLY box speakers I ever heard that could get me away from Maggies for a while. I've since gone back to Maggies, but maintain my love for DeVores, as well. They will be fine closer to a wall, too.

EDIT: Here's a shot of the ones I used to own...they were custom in Italian Ebony....great speakers!
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4369/brgt4ip8.jpg
post #5 of 14 Old 01-13-2012, 08:48 PM

Liked: 10
You might also check out the Von Schweikert VR-33. They are designed to be placed close to the wall, and I thought they imaged very well when I heard them at RMAF last year (especially considering the limitations of a hotel room...)

- Bill
post #6 of 14 Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 AM

I had this same dilemna and I ended up buying a pair of custom speakers from Selah Audio. I purchased the RC-4 which is no longer a current model but this allowed me to put the speaker close to the wall and I got to pick the veneer which made for great WAF, I should say my wife got to pick the veneer. Rick will work with you to build a speaker that will work for what you want and go up against the wall if one of his current designs does not cover what you need. Send him a query and see if his options fit what you want, they did for me.
http://selahaudio.com/index.html
post #7 of 14 Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys. These are some great ideas. I think i have a dealer in my area (NJ) to check out the Devore's and the Maggies. I will see where I can find the Von's. Summa - your idea of casters on the maggies - now that is original thinking! I will think about that as well.

Bestman
post #8 of 14 Old 01-14-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you guys. These are some great ideas. I think i have a dealer in my area (NJ) to check out the Devore's and the Maggies. I will see where I can find the Von's. Summa - your idea of casters on the maggies - now that is original thinking! I will think about that as well.

haha, I wish I could take credit for that, but it was actually a guy named Alan Pummill, who used to be active with me on another (Maggie) forum. He came up with the idea and it worked great!

I'm certainly biased toward Magnepan, but it's easy to be that way nowadays. They have recently gone from a company with a very good, but somewhat "in-need-of-updating" product line, to one of the most relevant and current companies in audio. They have updated all of their floorstanding models in the last year and a half to rave reviews, and also introduced a new "mini-maggie" for computer use. Pretty great company!

I've also had the pleasure of speaking with John DeVore on a few occasions and I have a lot of appreciation for what he does, as well. Both DeVore and Magnepan are based in the U.S. of A, and aside from a couple DeVore drivers that are built to his specs in Europe, both speaker lines are designed and assembled in this country. That's not important to everyone, but I'm the sort of person who likes to know where my stuff is built.

There are lots of great options out there, though...this is a really interesting time to be into audio as a hobby! I'm sure that you'll find something that works great for you...and of course we expect to hear all about your experience as you go along!
post #9 of 14 Old 01-14-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 883
i would put the reference 3a mm de capo-i on your short list .great soundstage

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #10 of 14 Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

You may want to check out the Aerial Model 6's. I have a small room and these speakers are front ported so they make for easy placement and are very musical. Sound like the 5B's w/a bottom end. They are in the same price range as the Contender.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Summa - actually where things are built does matter - we should, all things considered, try to keep it domestic. I think in the long run though quality is the paramount concern for me. I know only the B&W Diamonds (of all B&W products) are still made in England, Focal's are still made in France, Totem's are made Canada and many good parts come from Europe (Dynaudio, Focal, etc). If I am indifferent on quality I will buy USA built and assembled. The hard part is determining how much is done here and with what. The Devore's will get the first shot. I will let you know how things turn out and thanks again for the advice.

Bestman
post #12 of 14 Old 01-15-2012, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Summa - actually where things are built does matter - we should, all things considered, try to keep it domestic. I think in the long run though quality is the paramount concern for me. I know only the B&W Diamonds (of all B&W products) are still made in England, Focal's are still made in France, Totem's are made Canada and many good parts come from Europe (Dynaudio, Focal, etc). If I am indifferent on quality I will buy USA built and assembled. The hard part is determining how much is done here and with what. The Devore's will get the first shot. I will let you know how things turn out and thanks again for the advice.

Looking forward to hearing about your time with them....if you get real ambitious, head up to NYC and take a tour of John's shop...he's a great guy and he'll hook you up with some mad demos!

The floorstanders are fantastic, but he's also got a monitor called the Gibbon 3XL. It has a bamboo veneer and is really beautiful. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing it, but I have yet to hear anything from DeVore that didn't sound fantastic at a given price point. Happy Listening!
post #13 of 14 Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 PM

Liked: 10
bestman,

Have you thought about Klipsch speakers? I had a similar situation, wanting to fill a fairly large room and sticking with a 2-channel setup. I started leaning towards the RF7-II speakers and although price wasn't the deciding factor, I found a deal I couldn't pass up (www.acousticsounddesign.com).

Size wise, they stand about 4 feet high and have no trouble filling a very large living room.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-19-2012, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I am a huge fan Magnepan and owner as well, but they have to be quite far from the rear wall to truly sound great, and in my, and others experience, they need to be quite well planted to be at their best as well. It seems that casters would be moving in the opposite direction of this

TV's ain't theaters buddy.

My junk collection.

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page