Excessive and extreme speaker vibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As of yesterday, I had a cambridge magic dac and a kenwood kd40r turntable being fed into my onkyo 2 channel receiver, last night I bought a yaqin ms12b with upgraded electro harmonix tubes. For those not familiar with the particular model, it has 2 inputs, 1 phono and 1 line level. because I am saving up for a separate amp, the output on the yaqin is going into a line level on the onkyo. with the cambridge, everything works perfectly, however now (and not last night) when I used the turntable and turned it up to fairly loud (but not ridiculously) the speaker cones on my klipsch rb61s have started vibrating like crazy and really quickly. The yaqin has 2 outputs, one .25v, the other .7. the company website says use the .25v for line level, which I'm doing. What are the possible problems, and will it damage my speakers? By the way, I have tried both inputs with turntable grounded and not grounded. and it's happening with my backup speakers too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwgoody View Post

As of yesterday, I had a cambridge magic dac and a kenwood kd40r turntable being fed into my onkyo 2 channel receiver, last night I bought a yaqin ms12b with upgraded electro harmonix tubes. For those not familiar with the particular model, it has 2 inputs, 1 phono and 1 line level. because I am saving up for a separate amp, the output on the yaqin is going into a line level on the onkyo. with the cambridge, everything works perfectly, however now (and not last night) when I used the turntable and turned it up to fairly loud (but not ridiculously) the speaker cones on my klipsch rb61s have started vibrating like crazy and really quickly. The yaqin has 2 outputs, one .25v, the other .7. the company website says use the .25v for line level, which I'm doing. What are the possible problems, and will it damage my speakers? By the way, I have tried both inputs with turntable grounded and not grounded. and it's happening with my backup speakers too

It sounds like your output levels have increased somehow due to the change. Your woofers are vibrating so much because they're outputting a lot of sound pressure, maybe more than they can handle.

Solution? Lower the volume and/or redirect some of the bass frequency output to a decent subwoofer. It will have a bigger driver and its own amp, so its driver will not move as much as the smaller woofers in your Klipsch speakers are having to move right now to output so much bass. If you are overdriving those speakers with output levels beyond what they can safely handle, you could blow a woofer. If so, that's fixable by replacing the woofer and the foam or rubber surrounds sealing it, but until it's fixed, your speaker will be toast.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Even though it's only happening with the phono channel? I also noticed that, even after taking out and putting the tubes back in, they are not glowing nearly as brightly as the 12au7's running the aux channel. could that have something to do with it? I called a place that is going to test my tubes tomorrow, so we'll hope it's something simple like that.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwgoody View Post

Even though it's only happening with the phono channel? I also noticed that, even after taking out and putting the tubes back in, they are not glowing nearly as brightly as the 12au7's running the aux channel. could that have something to do with it? I called a place that is going to test my tubes tomorrow, so we'll hope it's something simple like that.

This has nothing to do with the tubes or the grounding.

You are experiencing acoustic feedback through the turntable. This is the amplified movement of the cartridge at very low frequency passed on to the speakers. It can have several causes, poor turntable isolation, poor cartridge setup or poor cartridge arm combinations are the most likely. A worn cartridge with a suspension that has collapsed or gone soft is also a likely culprit.

Best to fix the problem but you could also try a subsonic filter.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
It also can be an acoustic feedback from speakers to input tubes in your amp. Phono section has high gain, while line level gain is much lower. The higher the game, the more likely you can have "microphonic" effect in tubes.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

It also can be an acoustic feedback from speakers to input tubes in your amp. Phono section has high gain, while line level gain is much lower. The higher the game, the more likely you can have "microphonic" effect in tubes.

You don't get what he describes from microphonic tubes. You get a ringing echo. If you've heard it, you'd never mistake the sound.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page