DIY wedding DJ question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello! Haven't posted here before, but this forum was very helpful in selecting my receiver (Onkyo 608). So, I'm getting married in August, and I'm trying to cut costs wherever I can since I exceeded my budget on the venue. One of my groomsmen is willing to take the job of DJ for me. I'm also trying to avoid renting equipment if possible, though if it's reasonable enough I'll probably just do that. But even then, I'd rather put money towards something I can KEEP and have a use for beyond the wedding. I own a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 70's (thanks to alcohol + newegg + credit card), and I figured I could use those. Since I didn't want to dismantle my whole home theater, I was going to buy a 2 channel receiver for this purpose, and then after the wedding I have something I can use for music in a different room (provided I buy a couple more speakers). I was looking at the HK 3390, seems people here like it and the price is reasonable. So, does laptop->HK3390->monitor 70 sound realistic for a wedding? Has anyone done this before? Will there be a good way to hook up a mic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
honestly, you would be better off renting pro equip. a large venue with lots of people requires a LOT of sound and bass that a home setup probably just can't do. also, using home equipment wont get you microphone options, which will be almost essential unless the venue is quite small. just OK and somewhat loud sound could ruin a good vibe, and you dont need a bunch of wall-huggers at your reception

any friends that are in a band? I bet they have/have access to a PA system that you could borrow for cheap or free, depending on how well you know them.

2.0 > 7.1
post #3 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
As aquaphile said - unless this is a small venue pro equipment rental might be the best choice. You'd need more than one pair of speakers if you don't want 'hot-spots' in the room.

If its a small wedding the 3390 might be a great choice with your speakers. A lot depends on how loud you want to play the music and the acoustics of the room. I have a 3390 in the bedroom setup and find it has plenty of power for any speaker I own. Unless you have a need for digital inputs the 3490 is going to have very similar power output - 120wpc vs the 3390's 80wpc.

If you know anyone that has a set of Klipsch horn loaded speakers that is willing to let you borrow them that might work since they are very sensitive and don't require lots of power to sound loud. Like I said - it depends on the size of the room and how loud you want your sounds. The laptop and 3390 idea should work well.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #4 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 01:25 PM

Liked: 19
Had a 40th birthday 80's dance for my wife (~200 people), rented the mic, mixer and powered speakers that we needed for $100 and ran a playlist from an iPod. Worked great! Who needs to pay a DJ anymore? Did I mention it was very loud
post #5 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
How big is the venue? How many people? How loud do you want the music? Do you need a Mic? What does the future wife want? Are you willing to risk that everything about your wedding was "perfect" except the sound?

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

130 invitees, reception hall can handle 200 but I don't remember exactly. Definitely need a mic, unless the venue has it's own system which I should find out. Wife is open minded to cost cutting in this area, but she's no audiophile either. As far as type of music, there should be a mix of tasteful slow stuff (some nick cave if I have my way) and popular dance hits (lady gaga and ke$ha) to get the youngins on the floor (can't believe I'm 30 and referring to 20 somethings as youngins). I suppose regardless of the fact that the monitor 70's seem to kick alot of ass in a small living room, i can't know for sure without testing them at the venue. First off I should at least ask my friend if he has more suitable equipment, or knows someone who does. If not, I guess the question is $100ish for rental and no worries, or $300ish for stuff I can keep and reuse.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 AM

I self DJ'd my wedding with a pair of KRK Rokit 8's on 56" stands I built. We had ~80 people & the dance floor was approx. 25'x60'. I feel I could have pushed these 8's far more to fill a larger room. I had them up against a column wall to help boost the bass & was very impressed with the sound. I didn't get to test them at the venue prior, but did test them in a large room at work to see how they could fill a large space. I think your 70's might be a bit small to fill the space as you describe it. Do you have access to a large room to test, a garage perhaps?
post #8 of 10 Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 AM
EC
AVS Special Member

In the early 80's when my cousin got married, I used my Harmon Kardon HK 330 (30 wpc!), a Harmon Kardon tapedeck and some Dynaco A25 speakers. It was a large venue 300+ seating but the dance floor was very small and they didn't expect people to stick around. it worked out pretty well if I recall.

For my wedding a couple of years ago. I rented four pro speakers on stands, mixer, wireless mics (300 - 400 seat venue). I used my own Crown power amps (550 wpc). This was to provide, sound during the ceremony (I and the clergy were mic'ed) background music between the ceremony and reception and during the reception (no dance). Source was my notebook and an portable MP3 player as backup. It was very inexpensive to rent. The only hassle is transporting the stuff. Here are some tips:

1. hook everything up before hand at your house and draw diagrams on how to hook everything up. Have your groomsman hook everything up to practice expecially if they are not familiar with how it is done.
2. bring lots of power bars and heavy duty long extension cords as you never know where the outlets are going to be
3. don't use powered speakers for the reason above. Use passive speakers (ie you need a power amp) as this will allow you simplier wiring and speaker placement
4. bring gaffers tape to hold down the wiring so it doesn't become a tripping hazard.
5. have a backup for your source and ideally your mixer
6. ideally, the simpler the setup the better ie don't rent a 36 channel mixer.

Eric Chong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 AM

it kinda sucked though
post #10 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 AM

i had diy dj at my wedding