Helping Setting up HK 3490 and LG 47LE5400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everyone,

I tried a search, but I couldn't come up with anything. I have an HK 3490 receiver and an LG 47LE5400 television. I'm using an HD antenna to get my stations (so no cable box), and I'm trying to get audio (2.0) out of my HK 3490.

I've got the toslink cable going from the television to the receiver, but I can't get any sound. I've turned off the tv speakers, and I made sure to set the CD source to optical. I thought to use Video 1, but the receiver doesn't have any HDMI inputs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
H.M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
According to the manual (p.47), there could be ACP issues that you would have no control over. Also, check to see what kind of audio source the HK needs over optical. I'm betting it needs 2.0 PCM; not sure what the TV would be putting out.

It also seems like other than the headphone out jack, the optical out is your only option for audio out. All the other connectors appear to be inputs. If you continue not to have any luck and don't get an answer here, people in the video LCD Flat Panel Displays forum may be able to help more.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I'm guessing your LG television outputs Dolby Digital over the optical digital output. My LG plasma does. I had the same problem in a 2-channel, albeit analog, system. I tried sending the digital output of the LG from its internal TV tuner through an external, stand-alone DAC and then to an analog input on my 2-channel preamp. It didn't work because the DAC lacked a DD decoder. I think your HK 3490 also lacks a Dolby Digital decoder. That puts you in the same boat, because you'll get hiss instead of decoded sound from the TV's output.

Here's your solution: the GeffenTV Digital Audio Decoder (note, GeffenTV also sells a cheaper DAC which looks similar, but won't do what you need; you need the DD decoder in between your TV and your AVR).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Mono-Price has HDMI to Stereo converters - one of them should do the job. You'll also need an HDMI splitter.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Mono-Price has HDMI to Stereo converters - one of them should do the job. You'll also need an HDMI splitter.

It sounds like it's more than an adapter issue. None of those will solve the problem of needing to decode the Dolby Digital signal his TV is outputting into a digital PCM signal to then be converted to analog. He needs a DD decoder in between his TV's optical output and his AVR's input because his AVR doesn't have a DD decoder.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

It sounds like it's more than an adapter issue. None of those will solve the problem of needing to decode the Dolby Digital signal his TV is outputting into a digital PCM signal to then be converted to analog. He needs a DD decoder in between his TV's optical output and his AVR's input because his AVR doesn't have a DD decoder.

Don't most TVs have an option to output 2 channel PCM? The TV manufacturers seem to have forgotten that there are many audio enthusiasts that have 2 channel setups. Very few add analog L/R output any longer. HK should have added a DAC that is capable of pulling out the stereo signal out of the 5 channel signal. Even their very expensive HK 990 integrated amp is not capable of dealing with a 5.1 DD signal. I know - I owned one for a while.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Don't most TVs have an option to output 2 channel PCM? The TV manufacturers seem to have forgotten that there are many audio enthusiasts that have 2 channel setups. Very few add analog L/R output any longer.

I looked briefly at the manual for the LG 47LE5400, and it doesn't say it can do 2 channel PCM but talks about 5.1 sound coming from that optical. This is the best bet as to the problem.

And you are right. Really too bad that there is no analog out on the back. Who wants to use the headphone jack for hooking up a 2 channel receiver, although that may be the best option here.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Old 02-06-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Another option would be to use an AVR for its optical input and have the AVR downmix to 2 channel, then sell the HK 3490.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I looked briefly at the manual for the LG 47LE5400, and it doesn't say it can do 2 channel PCM but talks about 5.1 sound coming from that optical. This is the best bet as to the problem.

And you are right. Really too bad that there is no analog out on the back. Who wants to use the headphone jack for hooking up a 2 channel receiver, although that may be the best option here.

I looked at that manual too but I missed the headphone jack. That would work. I doubt there is much difference in sound quality between a 1/8" plug and standard L/R RCA jacks. One of these cables should work fine.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't most TVs have an option to output 2 channel PCM?

I don't know about most, but LG apparently stopped offering that ability in recent models. I have 2 LG plasmas made in 2010, and they offer only 1 optical output, and they output only in encoded Dolby Digital. Sure, the TV has a DD decoder it uses when you use the TV's speakers, but there is no setting, no switch, nothing you can flip to use the decoder to send out PCM via the optical output. Believe me, I have tried and I have looked at every square millimeter of the thing and dug around in every user menu dozens of times, and you simply cannot output PCM via the digital optical output.

Quote:

The TV manufacturers seem to have forgotten that there are many audio enthusiasts that have 2 channel setups.

I'm with you, man. That's why I bought the GeffenTV DD decoder for $84. It solved my problem, but not before a lot of frustration on my part.

My TV does not have a headphone jack on the side or anywhere else like the OP's does, so that option was not available to me.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 69
http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car..._detail&p=3146

I have no idea what the quality might be like. I assume it will downmix multichannel to 2-channel but that's not entirely clear.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I looked at that manual too but I missed the headphone jack. That would work. I doubt there is much difference in sound quality between a 1/8" plug and standard L/R RCA jacks. One of these cables should work fine.

That seems the best option. It just sucks, though, having to have a connector visibly sticking out of the side of a TV, particularly now that people are also starting to use powered multimedia and subs with analog L/R output to enhance TV sound.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all for all of the help everyone. I ended up going back and forth with both LG and HK (boy was THAT fun), and it turns out that the problem is as many of you expected - no PCM over the optical output.

To the person that suggested selling the HK - thanks, but I really love it, and I also use it for my turntables. I'm not yet in a position to have multiple audio setups, so I'm trying to figure out how to make the 3490 work for both. Looks as if I'll be going with the Digital Audio Decoder.