Amp for Various DIY Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for an amp to get started on my my 2 channel setup. I will be running various DIY speakers through it (currently Paul Carmody Tarkus, but looking to build Zaph ZRTs) so I am thinking something that can easily go down to 4 ohms is required. So far I have looked at the Parasound A23 and the NAD C272, both used off of E-Bay or Audiogon. I also might consider a pair of Outlaw 2200s or Emotive UPA-1s, or maybe the XPA-2 or XPA-3. However, those options are all slightly above what I was hoping to spend so I would probably try to wait for a sale. Other than having some guts and ability to drive a wide variety of speakers I am hoping to get something with balanced inputs and good performance in general. Aesthetics are also important since I think this system may end up in our bedroom. I have read good things about Emotiva, but for some reason their designs just don't do it for me. I am still certainly open to Emotiva though if they are a much better value than anything else I am looking at. I have a NAD 7 channel amp that has served me well, but I read about overheating issues with the C272 which made me shy away from that. For some reason I am really drawn to the Outlaw 2200s or the Parasound A23, but I don't know why. I am also hesitant to spend too much on a used amp for fear that it will die after a short time and won't be under warranty.

Upstream of the amp, I will just be using the pre-outs of an old receiver I have initially. Once I get the amp purchase out of the way, my next purchase will be a preamp, and then on to quality source components. So, what amp would you all recommend, either from the above list or outside of it, for a wanna-be audiophile? I am hoping to stay below $500, but could bump that up just a bit if an incredible deal came along.

Thanks,

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-05-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Also look at Rotel for power amps.

Balanced gets you nothing for two components in the same rack.

Most audiophile stuff is not abused, so if the owner seems genuine, and it looks good, it should be OK. SS power amps seldom 'blow up' unless abused.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I have a NAD C356BEE that I am not using and is like new. Send a PM if interested.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page