2 CH stereo for dummies... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-06-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forgive me for possibly asking a dumb question but why do so many people prefer to listen to music in 2 channel when the sub is disabled? To me I feel like so much of the music is missing without the lows. Maybe I am missing something here.

FWIW, I am running Polk R50 speakers in a 5.1 setup. They may get updated this year as I have had them for 10 years now and its time for an upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 1308
i guess its all in preference of what kind of music you listen to. if you like music with lots of bass or you just like vocals.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #3 of 17 Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

My wife and I listen to Rock and Country. Like you said, I guess it just depends on what I am listening too. I will have to mess with it with different music and see how it sounds.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-06-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Who says people like to listen to music without their sub enabled? Most people I know use 2.1 for music if they have a sub.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 17 Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

To me I feel like so much of the music is missing without the lows. Maybe I am missing something here.

Maybe you are. I'll bet you've got your system set up so all the lows go to the sub. So when you turn off the sub, you lose the lows.

Someone listening in 2.0 mode has the lows going to the main speakers (obviously, since they're the only ones he has!). Now, he's not getting as much bass as you are out of the sub, but depending on his speakers he's probably getting a reasonable amount.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #6 of 17 Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28 View Post

why do so many people prefer to listen to music in 2 channel when the sub is disabled?

Please reference sampling source.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #7 of 17 Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I've got 4 sub in my listening room. Sounds great for movies with great LFE tracks. I turn them all off when I listen to most music since the mains have dual 8" sealed woofers and play down to ~38hz before rolling off. If I'm listening to classical pipe organ I'll turn one of the sealed 12" subs on for the very low effects.

It all depends on how low your speakers go & personal taste - how much emphasis on bass you think sounds good. Everyone has a different opinion on what sounds good.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #8 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

Forgive me for possibly asking a dumb question but why do so many people prefer to listen to music in 2 channel when the sub is disabled?

Maybe because they are listening to LPs and LPs + subs can cause a lot of problems. Acoustic feedback, and the like.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Bass is nice.

Some people may turn off the subwoofer because they don't have a very good one and the subwoofer produces poor-quality bass when music is being listened to. That would be my guess. Most subwoofers you can buy for under $500 can make big thumps, but their output may have too much distortion for pleasurable music listening.

I have PSB Image T6 speakers, which are large high-quality floorstanding speakers, and I used them for quite a while without a subwoofer; they go down to 40 Hz nicely, so I had a pretty fair amount of bass.

I eventually broke down and added a subwoofer though, because big bass drums and even the lowest tuba notes did not quite have the weight that they should have had. I didn't buy no stinking CHEAP subwoofer though...lol.

If someone has a set of speakers with a good 10-inch or 12-inch woofer, they may go down to 30 or 35 Hz and a subwoofer would be a waste of money, but modern tower speakers seldom have any driver bigger than 6 inches or so and don't quite go low enough to do it all.

Polk's specs for the R50 say that they are down 3db, which means down to half-power, at 50 HZ. Realistically, that means their linear response stops at around 60 Hz, so they are certainly going to need a lot of help in the bass department.

That is certainly a good frequency response for a front speaker when using a sub, but a little weak in the bass without one.

If you want to upgrade to some higher-quality front speakers, I suggest you look at PSB or Monitor Audio speakers. It is hard to make really good-sounding speakers to sell for under $1000, but IMO they make the best-sounding affordable speakers.

They have some good-sounding speakers that will be quite an improvement on what you have now.

The Monitor Audio M6 floorstanding speakers are around $500 per pair, and the Monitor Audio Bronze BX-2 speakers are about the same price. Both of those have similar bass to what you have (perhaps a bit more), but have a much better sound quality overall.

The PSB Image B6 and the Image T5 are also very good speakers. A bit more money.

Quote:

Forgive me for possibly asking a dumb question but why do so many people prefer to listen to music in 2 channel when the sub is disabled? To me I feel like so much of the music is missing without the lows. Maybe I am missing something here.

FWIW, I am running Polk R50 speakers in a 5.1 setup. They may get updated this year as I have had them for 10 years now and its time for an upgrade.

post #10 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
FWIW my setup is 2.0 stereo with 6.5" 2-way speakers.

years ago I had a cheap-o 100w sub with no freq adjust. When I got my current speaker, out went the sub.

I listen to rock/indie, punk, jazz, and acoustic mostly. I sometimes wonder how much low-end I'm missing, but I get (what I feel is) plenty of bass when the music calls for it, with louder volumes giving more. I sometimes wonder how much I'm missing, but I guess it doesn't bother me that much. I'm slowly researching new speakers, but most aren't huge increases in bass and are still 2-way speakers.

I also live in an apartment, so lots of bass isn't in my immediate priority list I sometimes dream about getting an SVS or some other super-rad sub, but there are other things I would rather spend stereo $$$ on

also, I think a lots of people are used to having bass-heavy sound... but that's just my $0.02

2.0 > 7.1
post #11 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:

why do so many people prefer to listen to music in 2 channel when the sub is disabled?

Klipsch speakers? (He suggested mischievously.)
post #12 of 17 Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
One train of goes this way (mine): Albums generally are not mixed using subwoofers in the studio. Most producers and engineers in the booth are using high quality monitors in 2 channels. The lowest sound most often heard in music is the low "e" of a bass guitar, which is above 40 hz.
The work and difficulty of getting a sub to truly blend seemlessly into the mix is pointless when using a pair of well engineered full-range speakers.

I use lots of sub in my dedicated theater, and in the stereo system at work, but my primary critical listening system stands best without one.

TV's ain't theaters buddy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 17 Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you look at the spectrum of most records, you will find very little content below 40Hz. So if you have large enough speakers, you won't loose much without sub. If you only have bookshelf style speakers, you have to use sub though. Some types of music require low frequencies down to 16Hz, here subwoofer will get handy again. So it is listener's choice for either 2.0 or 2.1.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Forgive me for possibly asking a dumb question but why do so many people prefer to listen to music in 2 channel when the sub is disabled?

Because some peoples' equipment, placement, and/or setup skills mean bass wont be more natural when using a sub-woofer.

Quote:

To me I feel like so much of the music is missing without the lows. Maybe I am missing something here.

My living room speakers are -3dB at 30Hz and -6dB at 20Hz, the bass is more natural than I can get with one equalized single sub-woofer, and there isn't much musical content down there that I'm missing.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-08-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

My speakers are -3db at 40hz but will extend down to 33hz.

That said, I added a velodyne sub and spent the day running test sweeps with a db meater and a pile of different music getting the crossover set just right and and correct volume.

I certainly wasn't missing much as I expected but what I was missing sure makes the music more enjoyable, especially at lower volumes. All said and done it was a good thing for my ears, I don't feel the urge to turn it up as much

Money well spent, IMO.

My Band:

360 and PS3 owner
post #16 of 17 Old 02-08-2012, 05:49 PM

I really enjoy how music sounds on my Polk Audio Monitor 70s running full range with my Dayton Audio APA150. The low end extension is just about right. If there isn't enough, the track sounds thin and fragile. With too much, it becomes a muddy mess that lacks that pristine clarity that sounds so great. My modest 2.0 setup sounds great. The highs really shine and the lows are strong enough to add the necessary round, full tone. I get goosebumps whenever I can crank them up and listen to Peter Gabriel's live concert.

I wouldn't mind having a subwoofer going with my music but I haven't felt the need at this point. There certainly isn't anything wrong with using a sub. If you like how your systems sounds in a 2.1 configuration, just go back to enjoying your rig!
post #17 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
^^^
Me too...have set up Monitor 70s and running stereo 2.0 for everything, including D*TV and DVD player. Using Denon 1910, it works great. Personally, I find the subwoofer not essential for music, and even for most of my viewing of tv shows.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page