Audio newbie seeking help. Very simple 2.0 setup (sub LATER), spending 300$ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone! I hope it is alright to ask such things here... but I request your help! I was minutes away from buying a soundbar, but a buddy of mine talked me out of it. He made good sense. I could probably get better sound for my money if I went a different route, and sound is ALL I care about. Space is also NOT a concern.

Here's the situation: I have a Panasonic tc-p50g10 plasma and I just moved away from roomies who had it all set up with a halfway decent speaker system. So I get to my new place, without speakers, and oh man.. the TV speakers are just terrible. So I need to compile the best audio system for my money, and I'm looking to spend 300 bucks.

The biggest issue I'm having is that I am just looking for 100% pure audio for my money. I don't care about ANY features, I don't care about surround sound... I just want an ever so basic, simple, 2.1 sound system. What I -do- care about is the ability to upgrade the speakers and add a sub in the future when I have more money to play around with.. right now I just want something that sounds good, 2.1 style, for my PS3, TV, and movies . Problem is, while I know displays, computers, etc... I am a complete noob when it comes to audio.

A friend suggested that I pick up an amplifier, RCA it to my Audio Out, get 2 decent speakers, and use the TV volume to control the volume. This is feasible, correct? So I would turn off the TV speakers, and everything connected via my HDMI would just automatically work through the speakers (IE, instead of the internal TV speakers, the amp\\speakers would function as the TV speakers)

Right now, I'm not even looking for a sub, but I would indeed be purchasing one in the future.

It was suggested that I consider the Onkyo M-282 Amplifier (I cant post links ) and then just spend money on some halfway decent speakers for 150$ (which if anyone has any recommendations, that would be amazing).

Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding what I should spend my 300 bucks on?

TLDR Cliff Notes:
- Need the best 2.1 audio for my 300$ (2.0 right now, dont want to factor in a sub unless it is recommended that I do so)
- I do not care about surround
- I do not care about features
- I do not need any inputs
- Space is not a concern
- I just want to play movies, video games, and TV with quality sound, with the ability to upgrade the speakers and add a sub at a later date
- Would love for it to "just work", as in, I can just use my TV volume to control the volume of the speakers. Unless this is discouraged for some reason

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! AVS is the reason I bought my plasma that I still to this day think has an absolutely BEAUTIFUL picture. Hoping you can help me with my super basic audio set up too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconstrip View Post

Hello everyone! I hope it is alright to ask such things here... but I request your help! I was minutes away from buying a soundbar, but a buddy of mine talked me out of it. He made good sense. I could probably get better sound for my money if I went a different route, and sound is ALL I care about. Space is also NOT a concern.

Here's the situation: I have a Panasonic tc-p50g10 plasma and I just moved away from roomies who had it all set up with a halfway decent speaker system. So I get to my new place, without speakers, and oh man.. the TV speakers are just terrible. So I need to compile the best audio system for my money, and I'm looking to spend 300 bucks.

The biggest issue I'm having is that I am just looking for 100% pure audio for my money. I don't care about ANY features, I don't care about surround sound... I just want an ever so basic, simple, 2.1 sound system. What I -do- care about is the ability to upgrade the speakers and add a sub in the future when I have more money to play around with.. right now I just want something that sounds good, 2.1 style, for my PS3, TV, and movies . Problem is, while I know displays, computers, etc... I am a complete noob when it comes to audio.

A friend suggested that I pick up an amplifier, RCA it to my Audio Out, get 2 decent speakers, and use the TV volume to control the volume. This is feasible, correct? So I would turn off the TV speakers, and everything connected via my HDMI would just automatically work through the speakers (IE, instead of the internal TV speakers, the amp\\speakers would function as the TV speakers)

Right now, I'm not even looking for a sub, but I would indeed be purchasing one in the future.

It was suggested that I consider the Onkyo M-282 Amplifier (I cant post links ) and then just spend money on some halfway decent speakers for 150$ (which if anyone has any recommendations, that would be amazing).

Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding what I should spend my 300 bucks on?

TLDR Cliff Notes:
- Need the best 2.1 audio for my 300$ (2.0 right now, dont want to factor in a sub unless it is recommended that I do so)
- I do not care about surround
- I do not care about features
- I do not need any inputs
- Space is not a concern
- I just want to play movies, video games, and TV with quality sound, with the ability to upgrade the speakers and add a sub at a later date
- Would love for it to "just work", as in, I can just use my TV volume to control the volume of the speakers. Unless this is discouraged for some reason

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! AVS is the reason I bought my plasma that I still to this day think has an absolutely BEAUTIFUL picture. Hoping you can help me with my super basic audio set up too

If you don't want a sub then you are looking for 2.0 (the .1 is the sub). For $300 I wouldn't buy new, I'd look for used on craigslist (might depend on your location, around here there's tons of stuff). For $300 new you're going to get limited quality even for 2.0. OTOH if you were local I could set you up with a decent receiver and speakers for less than your budget...

Couldn't tell you if your tv volume will control the rca outs so you could avoid an actual pre-amp, but might depend on your tv...does the manual indicate this is possible?

post #3 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Sent ya a PM, I am local

As far as the TV volume goes, I could have sworn it was connected like that at one time, but I'm just not certain and the manual isn't helping me any regarding the volume control It just shows audio out "to audio amp" or optical in "to listen to tv through speakers".

I feel like such an idiot
post #4 of 10 Old 02-11-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
The first thing you need to be sure of is that you DO have analog (RCA) audio outputs from your TV; they don't all have them.

Then you need an integrated amplifier and some speakers.

Unfortunately, you can't get much for $150 new.

I suggest a pair of Monitor Audio M1 speakers for $199, and a Cambridge Audio Integrated 350A amplifier for $350 or so.

If the only audio output from your TV is digital, then you probably need to go with a receiver that has that type of input instead of an integrated amplifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconstrip View Post

Sent ya a PM, I am local

As far as the TV volume goes, I could have sworn it was connected like that at one time, but I'm just not certain and the manual isn't helping me any regarding the volume control It just shows audio out "to audio amp" or optical in "to listen to tv through speakers".

I feel like such an idiot

post #5 of 10 Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 428
400 and we might be able to get this party started with a nice refurb receiver and a set of on sale jbl studio monitors like this?

http://m.slickdeals.net/f/3930128-JB...-Free-Shipping

Add in a budget receiver
http://m.slickdeals.net/f/3868980-De...&highlight=avr

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #6 of 10 Old 02-11-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
With the smallish budget maybe a T-amp is the answer. I bought a Lepai t-amp awhile back and paired it up with a pair of Yamaha NS-6490 based on Audioholics budget speaker shootout results. They are quite good for the money. Sound quality is decent enough and it has plenty of power if you don't expect party level sound.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Check out the Andrew Jones Pioneer models currently available. The SP-BS21 is very good for it's price and more than twice that. The Pioneers can currently be found for around 50 to 100 a pair. Nothing touches the Pioneers at this price point, and I mean nothing. If you can go up a bit in price the SP-BS41's are even better at 149.00. The measure and sound very good as well.

Mate these up with a Sherwood RX-4109 or Onkyo TX-8255 and you will have a great 2 channel set up for less than 250.00.

If you want to add the matching sub it can currently be found for less than 100.00 and it's one of the best cheap 8" subs out there.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

For $300 I wouldn't buy new, I'd look for used on craigslist (might depend on your location, around here there's tons of stuff). For $300 new you're going to get limited quality even for 2.0.

I found the advice to go with used equipment to be about the most helpful I recieved. The fact that taste is so subjective and forum members are peronally invested in the brands they own makes speaker advice rather tricky. I had to be a little more patient in the area I live, but I got to audition some great used stuff that I had never gotten a chance to hear before and could not have afforded new.

By the way, I ended up spending $300 on a 2.0 set-up. For my tastes and purposes I was more interesed in steaming music, but I picked up a pair of Snell C IV 3-way floorspeakers and a Panasonic SA-XR25 AVR. I was upgrading from a HTIB, so anything would have probably been better, but I can't imagine a $300 new system that could hold a candle to mine.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM

Here's a sub-$300 system I am using that is sounding very good.

Integrated amp: Nuforce Icon Amp, 24w/ch - $189
Speakers: Polk R300 - $100/pair (on sale at Fry's)

I connect the TV analog out to the Nuforce RCA input. The amp has a volume control.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Liked: 11
A cheap t-amp and used pair of psb images/alphas will get you pretty far. A sub can be added later if the sub is active and has speaker inputs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Awesome-PSB-...#ht_500wt_1015

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-DTA-100...9971431&sr=8-1
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page