Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #121 of 147 Old 03-04-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Chemical Brothers is below and atypical to the avg. demographic found on this forum (and others like it).

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 147 Old 03-04-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Chemical Brothers is below and atypical to the avg. demographic found on this forum (and others like it).

Not sure what you mean by below, I have no problem with atypical, but below seems to infer anything less is inferior. Hopefully that's not your intent.
With music being an art, its judgement is akin to beauty being in the eye of the beholder.. an individual can't really say one is better than the other, just what they prefer.
post #123 of 147 Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Doing it again...lol. Here...use this:

1: Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone - SACD - Link to View

Outstanding CD with simply amazing imaging, sound quality, and talented musicians. Shut your eyes with a good system, and the walls of your house fall away and you find yourself sitting in a concert hall with Yo-Yo Ma and an accompanying orchestra. Beautiful album, and a must-own.EDIT- WoW, you're right; when I cut your post...it's there. But when you post, NOT! Weird.

I just bought and listened to this one tonight. I have owned many of the titles referenced here for some time, and have recently purchased others(including this one) based on comments/recommendations here.

+1 on this one. I have other classical CD's and DVD's etc., but this one is above and beyond. The levels even seem a bit higher, needing less volume. But it is the sound quality and performance that shines.
post #124 of 147 Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you like it! That's one of my all-time favorites!!
post #125 of 147 Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just listened to this one - Ultimate Demonstration Disc: Chesky Records' Guide to Critical Listening. One of the best CDs I got.

Ultimate Demonstration Disc: Chesky Records' Guide to Critical Listening - http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Demon...1359207&sr=1-2
post #126 of 147 Old 03-10-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Not sure what you mean by below, I have no problem with atypical, but below seems to infer anything less is inferior. Hopefully that's not your intent.
With music being an art, its judgement is akin to beauty being in the eye of the beholder.. an individual can't really say one is better than the other, just what they prefer.

Have no fear, I meant "below" not as in "inferior" but "below" as in skewing a bit too young for the avg. 40 year old plus member demographic on the audio side of this forum. Not to mention, Chemical Bros. being too relatively new-ish and somewhat arcane to most.

Not that there aren't 20 and 30 somethings around here, but I would think the clear majority is 40+. At least based upon the types of artists mostly discussed around here.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #127 of 147 Old 03-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Frame of reference:
I'm 30, and I don't subscribe to the "older music is the best music" philosophy.

Overplayed, overhyped, whatever, I really like:
Norah Jones:
"Come Away with Me"
Beautiful Voice, well recorded, real dynamic range. Her 2nd album was almost as good.

Dianna Krall:
While most of her stuff is well recorded and dynamic, I prefer:
"The Look of Love". "The Very Best of Dianna Krall" is a good overview of her music as well.

Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald:
"Ella and Louis" Something magical about this SACD. Full of sentimentality and simple good times.

Joshua Bell: He's not the best violinist in the world, but he's a great performer and does good work.
"Romance of the Violin" Has to be my favorite based on the song selection, although his greatest hits are good too.

I don't know if they would Qualify as "best" but a couple really good ones I've recently Discovered:

Acoustic Eidolon: River of Fire [well recorded- simple accoustic music with some flair]
Ray Montford: Shed Your Skin 10th Anniversary Edition [Very nicely recorded, very dynamic, nice textures]
Adele: 21 [This deserves some mention simply as a modern recorded album that wasn't completely adulterated]

I have listened to but can't get into:
"Brothers in Arms". To me there are 2 real problems with this CD.
1) I dislike the song "money for nothing"
2) I can't stand the lead singer's voice and vocal style.

Maybe I need to listen a little more but I don't think either of these issues can be resolved by listening to it more.
post #128 of 147 Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

"Money for Nothing" was such a monster MTV hit and soooo ridiculously overplayed in its day that I cannot bring myself to listen to it all the way through, even 25+ years later.

post #129 of 147 Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

"Brothers in Arms" has about the best dynamic range of any pop/rock album I've heard. Not the best collection of songs, but "Your Latest Trick" works for me every time. Great recording.
post #130 of 147 Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM

I have recorded some songs and posted it in youtube. Hope you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc6NAJfGwJI
post #131 of 147 Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post

"Brothers in Arms" has about the best dynamic range of any pop/rock album I've heard. Not the best collection of songs, but "Your Latest Trick" works for me every time. Great recording.

I presume you're talking about the original CD release. Subsequent releases were reportedly lacking that dynamic range.

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #132 of 147 Old 03-22-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post

While BIA is pretty good for a rock album, give a listen to Shangra-La....IMO better sonics.....
post #133 of 147 Old 03-22-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

I presume you're talking about the original CD release. Subsequent releases were reportedly lacking that dynamic range.

Yes, I'm talking about the 1985 CD release. It's about as good as anything I have.
post #134 of 147 Old 04-11-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

"Money for Nothing" was such a monster MTV hit and soooo ridiculously overplayed in its day that I cannot bring myself to listen to it all the way through, even 25+ years later.

Ha, I completely agree! I still listen to it just for the drum intro on the 20th anniversary SACD Knopfler re-mastered. I do have a hard time getting past that and usually skip to other tracks right after lol!
post #135 of 147 Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

Seeing this list and some of the comments here.. maybe I'm losing my mind, but I don't think so...

Adele/21 is great music, but the album, IMO, was ruined in production. Like most recordings today, it's plagued by over-mixing to boost loudness, essentially killing most of the dynamics. It sounds like crap compared to what it should have been.

Adele's voice is fantastic. But 21 isn't even CLOSE to a great sounding recording.

Fully agree. I hope an audiophile version is released someday.
post #136 of 147 Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
T-Bone Burnett and Nonsuch Records.
post #137 of 147 Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 PM

Liked: 12
Guilty Crown Original Soundtrack

Since, the album is only available in japan, it's not hard to find the flacs.

Great recording's, high production values. The whole album is crystal clear and very clean.

Enjoy!~

- Kh[a]os

Please tell me what happened in this night.
It's like the cat inside the box.

You don't know if the cat in the box is dead or alive.

The cat in the box was dead.
post #138 of 147 Old 06-09-2014, 08:52 AM

HI all! I'm very new to all this, I've always been a music fan, and I've seem to have been on the fringe of being an audiophile. My question is besides beck does anyone have a current music suggestions for good sound quality.  I've been listening to the new(ish) grizzly bear album shields. I'm not sure I have the equipment to tell if this qualifies has great sound quality.  I'd love some feedback on this album. thanks Anthony   http://www.amazon.com/Shields-Grizzly-Bear/dp/B008966SIU/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_4  

post #139 of 147 Old 06-13-2014, 07:08 AM

Liked: 61
I try to make a list this weekend , until then this quote from the ''What is your Reference Cd'' thread will have to do.
Quote:
I listen mostly on headphones,(HD 800), and have found that I prefer recordings with a good placement of the various instruments. For some reason I had not gotten to the Chesky recordings but now that I have I am very pleased.
The sound stage of the Amber Rubarth recording is reminiscent of my favorite and critically acclaimed Sound Liaison recording with Carmen Gomes, and the Carmen Gomes recording is not a binaural recording ,but just a very well made audiophile recording which also happens to sound very very good on headphones.

Comparing the 2 albums I still think that the Sound Liaison recording is a notch above the Chesky. The voice of Gomes is warmer recorded with less ''ssssss'' and I like the ''black'' background.

But both albums are top audiophile albums and not to forget very well played too!!!

[URL="http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/421621/"]

http://www.soundliaison.com/products...-inc-sss1-flac

http://www.chesky.com/
eljr likes this.
post #140 of 147 Old 06-27-2014, 05:19 PM

Liked: 61
post #141 of 147 Old 06-30-2014, 08:16 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I found some great new music thanks to this thread. I was especially impressed with Yo Yo Ma Plays Marricone and Herbie Hancock Possibilities.

I've never been much of a fan for rock music (although I've played lots of it professionally) but I was enchanted with listening to Steely Dan. They have joined my few rock albums by the likes of Santana and Dire Straits. It is embarrassing to have so little experience with such famous and successful musicians. Again, thanks.
post #142 of 147 Old 07-02-2014, 02:05 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Let me add a few that you may not have heard. I picked a couple of recordings in several genre classifications that I like and, when I listen to them I'm impressed with quality of the recording. Good music and good sound.

Blues

Keb' Mo' - Keb' Mo'
Rita Coolidge - Out Of The Blues

Classical

Castelnuovo-Tedesco - Concerto for Guitar #1 - Yamashita, London Philharmonic
Shostakovich - Piano Concerto #1 - Martha Argerich,

Country

John Michael Montgomery - Kickin' It Up
Shelby Lynn - Tears Lies & Alibis

Jazz

Bob French - Marsalis Music Honors Bob French
Monteiro, Young, Holt - Blues For the Saxophone Club

Pop

Tony Bennett & KD Lang - A Wonderful World
Michael Buble - Call Me Irresponsible

Rock

JJ Grey - Orange Blossoms
John Mayer - Continuum

World

Compay Segundo - Guantanamera
Andrea Bocelli - Amor en Portofino

Let me know if you want more.
post #143 of 147 Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
A simple thing like finding out what might be the best sounding version of a specific title one might be looking for. I have almost bought specific titles on SACD only to find out there is RBCD version that sounds just as good for much less.
Bill - I just noticed your old post here, but another thing to mention is that there are titles on SACD that were sourced from 16/44, and were not transferred from the original tapes through a DSD converter (Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" is one of these titles, allegedly). A 16/44 sourced SACD will in no way take any advantage of SACD's capabilities, and will sonically be in no way 'better' than the 16/44 source.
post #144 of 147 Old 07-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'll focus my suggestions on some genres that are often under represented in the "great sound" discussion.

Gorillaz - Demon Days. Smooth, thick basslines. Vocals are well placed within the mix.

Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap. Very well produced indie rap. I find good sounding hip hop is difficult to find. This along with the latest Big Boi disc and to a somewhat lesser extent Good Kid, M.A.D.D City by Kendrick Lamar are the three that I keep coming back to.

A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step. The opening song "The Package" sets the stage with a heavy bassline and sparse sound that opens into a thunderous guitar sound that I keep coming back to when I want to get hit in the chest with sound. "Pet" also hits hard while tracks like "Weak and Powerless" have a more musical, full sound.

The Decemberists - The King is Dead. Just fantastic "alt-country". Crystal clear recording.

LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening. When "Dance Yrself Clean" kicks in, it's like sex to my ears.

These albums for the most part may not stack up technically to most of the older recordings that are generally considered the "gold standard" but there's only so many times one can listen to Money for Nothing before needing to branch out.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #145 of 147 Old 07-06-2014, 01:06 PM

Liked: 12
I'll agree with the Steely Dan and Dire Straights references and put in my $.02 for Brian Setzer Orchestra's self titled debut, Elton John's Honky Chateau, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, Black Crows Amorica and Warpaint, Sufjan Stephens Come on Feel the Illinoise, and Metallica's And Justice for All.
post #146 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailvon View Post
Just listened to this one - Ultimate Demonstration Disc: Chesky Records' Guide to Critical Listening. One of the best CDs I got.

Ultimate Demonstration Disc: Chesky Records' Guide to Critical Listening - http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Demon...1359207&sr=1-2
Been my go-to for years when auditioning and setting up speakers.

Besides a few that are listed, 3 of my favs:
Spanish Harlem still blows me away.

post #147 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
There is one CD I have been using for the past 20 years to evaluate and/or set up any audio system. The group is Moodswings, and the name of the disc is Moodfood. This was released in 1992 on CD and cassette, never been available on vinyl or any form of HD disc. This CD has the broadest audio spectrum I have ever heard on a disc, and the sound is very clean. I still listen to this disc weekly on my HT.

JR
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page