Top 10 Albums for Sound Quality - In discussion - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #181 of 197 Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Its a joy to hear this particular song one time in a day on ref level: Muse - Supremacy. Certainly an experience worth having. Decent quality on the mixing job, feels like an actual band playing in front of you, even with an electric guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 197 Old 05-22-2015, 12:21 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Here are my ten

Blu Ray Audio

SACDs

SACD

Plain regular CD

Last edited by wse; 05-22-2015 at 12:31 PM.
post #183 of 197 Old 06-09-2016, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My all time favourite is Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms remastered. Imaging, clarity and overall sound quality is outstanding.
I don't think I've heard anything that tops that. I can't get bored of it.
I find myself going back to it almost daily.
Second favourite is Dire Straits - Communiqué. Not quite like the above but really really good!

Projector: Epson EH-TW3200, Screen: Visivo Electric Screen PRO 117"
AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-35 (SC-LX73)
L/R Speakers: Yamaha NS-690III, Center: Yamaha NS-670,
L/R Surrounds: Yamaha NS-30X, Front Heights: Klipsch RS-25
Subs: Klipsch RW-12D, Crystal Acoustics THX-12 SUB
Source: Laptop - MPC-HC & ffdshow, Console: XBOX 360
post #184 of 197 Old 06-13-2016, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For all you guys who are mentioning Alan Parsons, he released Try Anything Once in 1993. If you have not heard it, you should definitely check it out. In particular a song called Mr. Time. The whole album is excellent. I have always been a big fan of theirs. I have all of his CDs. I wish they would pressing some in SACD format.

Parasound JC-2BP
Parasound A21
Klipsch Palladium P38
Oppo 105 (used for audio only)
post #185 of 197 Old 06-13-2016, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
You guys may laugh at this one, but the BeeGees pre-disco stuff is really well recorded. Not to mention it's some fantastic music.
I still love Odessa!
post #186 of 197 Old 06-13-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post
Bill - I just noticed your old post here, but another thing to mention is that there are titles on SACD that were sourced from 16/44, and were not transferred from the original tapes through a DSD converter (Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" is one of these titles, allegedly). A 16/44 sourced SACD will in no way take any advantage of SACD's capabilities, and will sonically be in no way 'better' than the 16/44 source.
Neither is sourced from analog which is below CD specs. [yeah I know it's an old post, but the facts remains]

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

The Hun
post #187 of 197 Old 06-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Neither is sourced from analog which is below CD specs. [yeah I know it's an old post, but the facts remains]
Exactly. That's why I don't buy sacds just because they have the sacd logo. I think the source and mastering plays into it as well.
thehun likes this.
post #188 of 197 Old 06-13-2016, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Rage Against the Machine's S/T album is one of the best produced and mastered albums I have ever heard. "Take the Power Back" from the album is also used quite often as a demo/testing track apparently.
post #189 of 197 Old 06-13-2016, 03:28 PM

Not to beat the Dire Straights thread to death, but Mark's SAILING TO AMERICA is a dual layer HDCD. I didn't discover this until I got an Oppo DV980H. The quality is amazing.

Another is Neil Young's GREATEST HITS, which includes a "super-saturated" DVD-A. You can actually hear him drop his whammy bar. "click" Can't make it out on the original Crazy Horse vinyl.

LONG JOHN BALDRY, EMI-1980. (self titles) Still available on Amazon. Very clean production and wide sound stage. Best version of MORNING DEW I've ever heard!

Priscilla Ahn, A GOOD DAY - MOFI. Not my best-ever favorite songs; but my Gosh! The clarity, purity and presence are even more remarkable than Nora Jones' SACD.

Other MOFI re-issues that came out particularly good: LEAD ZEP 4 and The Band BIG PINK.

Jimmy Buffet's LIVING & DYING IN 3/4 TIME is very good. Guitars and vocals are beautiful.

Peter Gabriel SO!. Mine is the LP.

Rickie Lee Jones PIRATES

Most CDs by the Cowboy Junkies, especially LAY IT DOWN. The original TRINITY SESSIONS is just an awesome, awesome recording. You can hear the space they are in. The reprise TRINITY SESSIONS REVISITED comes with a DVD with great audio quality; but I like the purity of the original version with just the Cowboys and the church.
post #190 of 197 Old 06-13-2016, 03:38 PM

I almost forgot:

Ella Fizgaerald. THE VERY BEST OF ELLA. 18 tracks from the Verve years and almost all are well recorded with very little noise and really let one of the best voices of all time shine, and I'm not really a jazz fan.
post #191 of 197 Old 06-13-2016, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am new to being interested in SACDs. How do you find out how they were sourced and mastered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post
Exactly. That's why I don't buy sacds just because they have the sacd logo. I think the source and mastering plays into it as well.

Parasound JC-2BP
Parasound A21
Klipsch Palladium P38
Oppo 105 (used for audio only)
post #192 of 197 Old 06-13-2016, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolouzosr View Post
My all time favourite is Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms remastered. Imaging, clarity and overall sound quality is outstanding.
I don't think I've heard anything that tops that. I can't get bored of it.
I find myself going back to it almost daily.
Second favourite is Dire Straits - Communiqué. Not quite like the above but really really good!
BIA is one of the best recordings that I own on CD. Right there is Jazz at the Pawnshop - also on CD. I don't know which version either is or if there even is differing versions. I'm listening to Pawnshop as I type this. I can never seem to get too much of this album. Same for Dire Straits BIA. Diana Krall must have a very good recording engineers too. Live in Paris is an outstanding album. Her best IMO. For what it's worth!

Emotiva XSP-1 - 2x Emotiva UPA-1 - Salk Song Towers - Oppo 103
When all else fails - RTFM!
***GO SEAHAWKS ***
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #193 of 197 Old 06-15-2016, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well after reading through the whole thread I finally see that on the last two pages someone finally mentioned Alan Parsons. Im gonna throw out a few others how about Rush's Moving Pictures and 2112 Fleetwood Mac Rumors and nobody mentioned the Beatles Abbey Road ect. Here are a couple songs I like to use to show off good audio gear Sade Smooth Operator, Planet P's Why me.
post #194 of 197 Old 06-21-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottajam View Post
I am new to being interested in SACDs. How do you find out how they were sourced and mastered?
I look for wording such as DSD (direct stream digital) mastered from original master tapes. You usually won't find that detail on Amazon, so you mat have to search it out on other sites and go back to Amazon if theirs is the best price. All of mine except 2 are from MOFI - Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. They are hybrids, so you can stick 'em in a regular CD player and see if they really sound better through your SACD. Most do. The other 2 I have are Nora Jones on Blue Note and a Chesky test hybrid/CD/SACD - both DSD and both highly recommended.

I happened to be on Barnes & Noble web site last night and saw a few SACD titles I'd like for less than $20. Whenever I cliked to add them to my cart the price was much, much higher. For example, Muddy Waters' Folk Singer was listed at $15.19 with no mastering info. I listened to the samples on the web site and they sounded so great content-wise, I figured it had to be worth 15 bucks. Click! It's actually $60. Bummer.
post #195 of 197 Old 06-22-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 379
If one likes multi-channel source material, check out some of the DTS demo blu-ray disks..
These are usually only available to the trade and used for trade show demos and/or reviews.
I especially like DTS demo disc Volume 17..
Tracks:
  • The Pretenders - "Brass in Pocket"
  • The Black Crowes - "Hey GRandma"
  • ZZ Top - "Sharp Dressed Man"

I have a complete set of the DTS disks over the last 15 years and every one is incredible for video and music content.

Just my $0.02...
post #196 of 197 Old 06-22-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Anyone listen to Toto IV? Great sounding SACD. Another is Doobie Brothers: Toulouse street!
post #197 of 197 Old 08-29-2016, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolsomAudio View Post
Where to start! Here's what I've been using recently.

Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler - Private Investigations: If you're listening to the SACD of Brother's in Arms that's fine. If you don't do SACD don't waste your time on other cds and get Private Investigations; it's a superior sounding album

NIN - Broken; Ghosts; The Downward Spiral (Vinyl/SACD): Broken will fool you into thinking it could be lo-fi, but if you have a very good system you'll realize it's got bizarre and intentionality to it that make it something very off the wall to test a system with. Ghosts is crazy, it was intended as an imaging concept album and it heavily reflects this from an audiophile POV.

Lorde - Pure Heroin: Top 40, but it has some fantastic bass and highs that'll give your tweeter a workout! There's a song that can really show you how well a voice pans to see if your center voice is as good as panned.

Trentmoller - The Last Restort: What a gem! Too bad the only people that gave it the time of day were clubbers that can't hear 90% of the music. Essentially in a club you hear the bass lines and there's 10k's remixes, but the real beauty is on a hifi system where you experience a totally non-traditional use of instruments. You won't really recognize the instruments, but they were used to make the different sounds.

Female vocals... I like a few things Norah Jones - Feels Like Home; Holly Brook - Like Blood Like Honey; Alison Kraus on Raising Sand
I'm gonna have to buy that Trentemoller album good stuff. His album "lost" is really good too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page