Top 10 Albums for Sound Quality - In discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 147 Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That said, here are OUR recommendations!!

1: Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone - SACD - Link to View

Outstanding CD with simply amazing imaging, sound quality, and talented musicians. Shut your eyes with a good system, and the walls of your house fall away and you find yourself sitting in a concert hall with Yo-Yo Ma and an accompanying orchestra. Beautiful album, and a must-own.

2: Adele: 21 - CD - Link to View

"While relatively new to the music world in the scheme of things, this girl has a stunning voice. She is not your prototypical 21st century vocalist, seeing as she can actually sing without multiple computer aided supplements. For a pure voice that has a wide vocal range and a sultry voice, look no further." (Thanks, mgproudfit)

"I agree with Adele's album that you've mentioned; it's a great sounding disc. The sound quality is great but the album's substance is even better...The level of talent that she demonstrates is far beyond what the other women were showing." (Thanks, StinkPiece)

3: Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms - CD - Link to View

"The Instruments are really easy to define, they are just clearer and easier to pick out, more so than any other titles I own. The sound also envelopes you (soundstage?) and brings you right into the performance. No matter how many times I listen to these, I find myself going back to them often just to remind myself why I spent all that money on all that gear." (Thanks, MCATUCCI)

4: Steely Dan: Gaucho - CD/SACD - Link to View

"Boy am I glad you asked; a re-sounding yes! Not because they're miles apart in SQ, but because I get so sick of so-called audiophiles listing Sea Change...like it's the one and only good-sounding title from Beck (truth be told, it's the one that got a lot of pub, and that may be the only reason some audiophiles even know about it).

I even have the DVD-A of Sea Change, and it sounds great; but I still prefer the redbook Mutations. The recording feels less "processed", and very natural. YMMV" (Thanks, CDLehner)

"I have a lot of great-sounding titles; some MFSL, SHM-CD, DVD-A, SACD, SHM-SACD, etc. (that's the whole point, right)...but among the best-sounding redbook CDs I've ever heard, is Beck's Mutations. It's been in my testing rotation for years." (Thanks, CDLehner)

6: Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here - SACD - Link to View

Pink Floyd in hi-fi. Not much else needs to be said.

7: Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - CD - Link to View

[Placeholder for description]

8: Muddy Waters - Folk Singer - CD - Link to View

"Muddy Waters "Folk Singer - There is a depth to Waters' voice and dynamic range captured from this acoustic studio session that is unrivaled in any other blues recordings. Always on my go to list when demo'ing for realism." (Thanks, Theonetruegreg)

9: Donald Fagen: Nightfly - CD - Link to View

[Placeholder for Description]

10: Nat King Cole - Nat King Cole's Story - CD - Link to View

[Placeholder for Description]

Keep 'em coming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 Old 02-12-2012, 07:45 PM

I agree with Adele's album that you've mentioned; it's a great sounding disc. The sound quality is great but the album's substance is even better. I didn't catch most of the Grammy Awards but I did see that she won the award for best female solo performance. That was well deserved. Considering what she was up against, it would have been insulting if she hadn't won. The level of talent that she demonstrates is far beyond what the other women were showing. I mean no disrespect to the others, of course. They're good in their own ways and definitely have fans to back them up.

I'd throw in:

Marcus Miller's Marcus - CD - Amazon Link

He's a phenomenal bassist and there is some groovy stuff on this disc. I don't know how it compares to other albums in the genre but I've enjoyed the quality. His cover of Higher Ground is funky as heck and Blast! is gnarly.

Bon Iver's Bon Iver - CD/Vinyl - Amazon Link

I've mainly been listening to Holocene but the clarity is nice. The upper frequency range really shines on that track. It's been my go-to track for those moments when I just want something that sounds cold, personal, and clear. I would like to get it on vinyl eventually.

Some may disagree with these recommendations. I'll admit that I don't have the highest standards for quality. These sound great to me, though; better than many albums I've heard lately, at least. I'm open to suggestions for great sounding albums so hopefully this thread grows! I like the idea.
post #3 of 147 Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
This album will blow your mind
LL
post #4 of 147 Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgproudfit View Post

Create a thread recommending the "Top 10" albums for audio quality. Now, I realize that this is a HIGHLY subjective discussion, but Im sure we can find some common ground. The purpose of this would be for 2 channel newbs to have a list that they can get multiple well-regarded recommendations for their foray into this hobby. If all new folks are like myself, then they likely haven't bought a CD in 5+ years, and an SACD in...well...ever.

That said, let's help some folks out! Ideally this list would cover multiple genres, so if all 10 are purchased, it would give a wide breadth of music that could really show the strong points of their audio systems!

I'll use this thread for keeping up with recommendations, and once it has some time under its belt, I will make a new thread with a "Top 10 Recommended Albums for Newbs".

---------------

That said, here are my 2 recommendations:

1.) Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone - SACD - Link to View

Outstanding CD with simply amazing imaging, sound quality, and talented musicians. Shut your eyes with a good system, and the walls of your house fall away and you find yourself sitting in a concert hall with Yo-Yo Ma and an accompanying orchestra. Beautiful album, and a must-own.

2.) Adele: 21 - CD - Link to View

While relatively new to the music world in the scheme of things, this girl has a stunning voice. She is not your prototypical 21st century vocalist, seeing as she can actually sing without multiple computer aided supplements. For a pure voice that has a wide vocal range and a sultry voice, look no further.

Keep 'em coming!

I am constantly amazed at the audio quality of Chick Corea's "Rendezvous in New York" SACD. It's a hybrid SACD, so it will play on regular CD players as well as SACD players. Both the CD and the SACD layers are excellent.
post #5 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

This album will blow your mind

I agree; I have the DVD-A, and it's a real bass tester, in a way that people don't usually think of (Free Radicals and The W.A.N.D. come to mind).

I have a lot of great-sounding titles; some MFSL, SHM-CD, DVD-A, SACD, SHM-SACD, etc. (that's the whole point, right)...but among the best-sounding redbook CDs I've ever heard, is Beck's Mutations. It's been in my testing rotation for years.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #6 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations! Ideally, we'd have 10 different genres represented in our All-Star Album list, so to speak.

-Matt
post #7 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Why can't the sticky thread at top be used, seems like the same thing to me. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1030712

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #8 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I initially thought the same thing. However, my thought with this is for us to work together and come up with a "Top 10" that can just be posted in one easy-to-find location for people getting into the hobby. The thread you mentioned is certainly beneficial, but it's tough to sift through every post and figure out what interests people. If we can get 8-10 different genres in one simple post, I think it could be quite useful and provide some good insight for everyone.

-Matt
post #9 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I'd suggest that the title of the thread should be modified to refect the topic.

For example:
"Top 10 Albums for Audio Quality"
post #10 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Well, in the OP I said Id use this thread to compile suggestions and friendly discussion in regards to the "why" or "why not" of certain albums. Once we have a semi-definitive list, Ill make a new thread presenting our recommendations.

-Matt
post #11 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Why not just ask the moderator(s) to retitle this thread? No need to make a new thread.

Anyway... I suggest:
LL
post #12 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Why not just ask the moderator(s) to retitle this thread? No need to make a new thread.

Anyway... I suggest:

I agree with Ratman; even though this subject is a bit trite to begin with...you'll likely get hardly any response based on that title.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #13 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds good, fellas. Im on it!

-Matt
post #14 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I agree; I have the DVD-A, and it's a real bass tester, in a way that people don't usually think of (Free Radicals and The W.A.N.D. come to mind).

I have a lot of great-sounding titles; some MFSL, SHM-CD, DVD-A, SACD, SHM-SACD, etc. (that's the whole point, right)...but among the best-sounding redbook CDs I've ever heard, is Beck's Mutations. It's been in my testing rotation for years.

CD

You feel Mutations has better SQ than Sea Change?

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #15 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

You feel Mutations has better SQ than Sea Change?

Boy am I glad you asked; a re-sounding yes! Not because they're miles apart in SQ, but because I get so sick of so-called audiophiles listing Sea Change...like it's the one and only good-sounding title from Beck (truth be told, it's the one that got a lot of pub, and that may be the only reason some audiophiles even know about it).

I even have the DVD-A of Sea Change, and it sounds great; but I still prefer the redbook Mutations. The recording feels less "processed", and very natural. YMMV

CD

post #16 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well, sounds like Beck Mutations has a fit on our list. It is now #3. How about some good classic rock for a new genre? Ive heard good things about Eric Clapton: Slowhand as well.

-Matt
post #17 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with anything by Dire Straits or Steely Dan. If you pressed me for a title from each to really showcase your 2 channel system:

Steely Dan: Gaucho

Dire Sraits: Brothers in Arms
post #18 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Boy am I glad you asked; a re-sounding yes! Not because they're miles apart in SQ, but because I get so sick of so-called audiophiles listing Sea Change...like it's the one and only good-sounding title from Beck (truth be told, it's the one that got a lot of pub, and that may be the only reason some audiophiles even know about it).

I even have the DVD-A of Sea Change, and it sounds great; but I still prefer the redbook Mutations. The recording feels less "processed", and very natural. YMMV

CD

Interesting, thanks. Guess I'll have to dig up Mutations and give it another spin.

I definitely agree with the Gaucho/Brothers In Arms recommendations above. I also think most of the Elton John discs sound pretty solid.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #19 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I also know Brothers in Arms is very highly regarded. Ill add that for sure.
post #20 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCATUCCI View Post

I don't think you can go wrong with anything by Dire Straits or Steely Dan. If you pressed me for a title from each to really showcase your 2 channel system:

Dire Sraits: Brothers in Arms

Sure; solid stuff. I have the SACD of BIA, and the SHM-SACD of Gaucho. The mastering on Gaucho has very low gain; sort of akin to what they did in the 80s. I know some audiophiles covet those releases...like the Target CDs (of which I have quite a few...not because I covet them, but because I actually bought CDs starting in 1985...lol). I find it to be a little soft. Of course, no one wants the hot, pumped-up kind of mastering they do these days; but I happen to think there's such a thing as mastered too low as well...no matter how "smooth" it sounds.

CD
CruelInventions likes this.

post #21 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

amazon carries a lot of used CDs of Mutations that are under $1; that means under $4 with the shipping.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #22 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I'd suggest that the title of the thread should be modified to refect the topic.

For example:
"Top 10 Albums for Audio Quality"

Given "...for Audio Quality" the CD of Fourplay's Elixir should be on the list. Genre is easy listening jazz.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #23 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCATUCCI View Post

I'll second that. I have the MFSL version of Gaucho, and it is beautifully done. Same with MFSL's version of Aja.
post #24 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

What do you guys who recommended Brothers in Arms and Gaucho like about those records with how it pertains to showing off your system?

Im adding a small snippet to each recommendation to give the end user an idea of WHY we'd recommend it! This is shaping up to be a nice list!
post #25 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Because they sound good.

The Nightfly (Donald Fagen)
post #26 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Norah Jones!
post #27 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post

Norah Jones!

I do love her SACD. That said, if I had a gun to my head and had to pick a jazzy female vocalist, I think Id have to go with Adele 21.
post #28 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 05:47 PM

Liked: 14
Sara K.: Made in the shade (absolutely incredible recording, the best I own)
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/5637
Sara K.: Hell or high water (Second best recording I own)
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3731
Hernan Romero: Un Segundo Una Vida (The best surround mix I own, outstanding sound)
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1513
Patricia Barber: Modern Cool (hey, it's Patricia Barber)
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/537
Patricia Barber: Verse
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3121
Patricia Barber: Cafe Blue
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/536
Schenk, Herwich, Hacquart: The Spirit of GAMBO (Recorded at Galaxy studios, possibly the best studio acoustics in the world)
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3803
Rachel Podger: Vivaldi: La Stravaganza - Podger/Arte Dei Suonatori (Mrs. Podger's best from a series of outstanding recordings)
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/336

Yep, pretty much my top choices. Some are out of print and hard to come by, but worth looking up. Mofi, Stockfish and Channel Classics are my favorite labels.
post #29 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
You guys may laugh at this one, but the BeeGees pre-disco stuff is really well recorded. Not to mention it's some fantastic music.
post #30 of 147 Old 02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgproudfit View Post

Well, I initially thought the same thing. However, my thought with this is for us to work together and come up with a "Top 10" that can just be posted in one easy-to-find location for people getting into the hobby.

Laudable idea, but impractical. There are so many music genres it will be difficult to get a consensus on a top ten list.

Still, fun thread to read

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page