Paradigm Mini Monitor Version 1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently added a 2 channel near field setup in small office (to play music from computer) Got Paradigm Mini Monitor V1 in the classifieds for $150 and paired with Onkyo TX-8255. I have the computer using a Nuforce Udac2 which I feed into the receiver using rca cable.

At first I was very disappointed as I found the bass over powering from the woofers. However after I reduced the bass using the manual bass control on the Onkyo, I am quite pleased. I can definitely recommend the Mini Monitors V1 for a budget setup. Im not sure if the bass issue is a result of my setup, but the sound is pristine after dialing down the bass output.

Has anyone else seen this issue with Paradigms being too bassy? Or was this something specific to Mini Monitor V1's. I'm sure my solution is not ideal, but I am happy with the end result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Those are some of my favorite speakers....Used to own two pair of them about ten years ago. As for the bass, do you have them near the wall? If so, move them out a bit more. If you have them sitting on a desk/bookshelf/other flat surface, try some of these under the speakers
post #3 of 15 Old 02-12-2012, 11:31 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbbeck View Post

Im not sure if the bass issue is a result of my setup

It is. You are using a rear ported box speaker meant to be placed on stands out into the room...and placing them on a desk, giving significant boundary reinforcement. Luckily you have a bass control. Possibly 2 depending on your playback software.

cheers,

AJ
post #4 of 15 Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM

As a 12 year owner of the Paradigm Mini Monitor v.1, I can attest to them needing to be on stands pulled out roughly 20 to 30 inches from the wall to even out the bass. They really shine when set up this way.

If you have them in small room they will sound very bass heavy. Especially with the slight hump they have around 100hz. I have the EQ in iTunes set with a slight bass roll off starting a 125hz which evens things out a good bit. Not perfect but good enough for my situation. Keep in mind the room pretty much dictates the sound you hear. As well as the placement within that room means everything. Especially when you have competent speakers.

The Mini v.1's are a great monitor that outclass many of the newer monitors today in its range.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out. The speakers are positioned fairly close to a wall. Unfortunately, there is not enough space to use stands and have them away from the wall.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-13-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Those are some of my favorite speakers....Used to own two pair of them about ten years ago. As for the bass, do you have them near the wall? If so, move them out a bit more. If you have them sitting on a desk/bookshelf/other flat surface, try some of these under the speakers

Thanks -- What size do you recommend for the rubber bumpers?
post #7 of 15 Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:

thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out. The speakers are positioned fairly close to a wall. Unfortunately, there is not enough space to use stands and have them away from the wall.

I forgot to mention that the Mini's came with port plugs. This can help things out a good bit especially when near the walls. Paper towels wadded into a plug can work to see if this helps with the bass.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks -- What size do you recommend for the rubber bumpers?

I would imagine the 1" ones would work great...one in each corner of each Mini. I did that with my AudioEngine A2s, using a smaller size bumper, and it worked great. I had them sitting on a counter top, and the resonance and "boomy-ness" disappeared totally.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

As a 12 year owner of the Paradigm Mini Monitor v.1, I can attest to them needing to be on stands pulled out roughly 20 to 30 inches from the wall to even out the bass. They really shine when set up this way.

If you have them in small room they will sound very bass heavy. Especially with the slight hump they have around 100hz. I have the EQ in iTunes set with a slight bass roll off starting a 125hz which evens things out a good bit. Not perfect but good enough for my situation. Keep in mind the room pretty much dictates the sound you hear. As well as the placement within that room means everything. Especially when you have competent speakers.

The Mini v.1's are a great monitor that outclass many of the newer monitors today in its range.

Agreed. And for $150 used, a terrific value for the OP.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I would imagine the 1" ones would work great...one in each corner of each Mini. I did that with my AudioEngine A2s, using a smaller size bumper, and it worked great. I had them sitting on a counter top, and the resonance and "boomy-ness" disappeared totally.

thanks -- do you apply the adhesive of the bumpers directly on the speaker or to the countertop and then place the speaker onto the bumpers?
post #11 of 15 Old 02-13-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks -- do you apply the adhesive of the bumpers directly on the speaker or to the countertop and then place the speaker onto the bumpers?

You could probably do it either way, actually. I just put them on the speaker bottom directly so that I can easily change placement or more them to another location. If you know exactly where you want them, and plan to keep them there, then adhering them to the surface probably works just as well I would imagine. They aren't that hard to take off the surface either...they stick really well, but can be removed.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

I forgot to mention that the Mini's came with port plugs. This can help things out a good bit especially when near the walls. Paper towels wadded into a plug can work to see if this helps with the bass.

Wow, I tried both a wadded paper towel and a sock. Both really tighten up the bass. Do you try to plug the hole as tightly as possible or do you leave a little slack?
post #13 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Wow, I tried both a wadded paper towel and a sock. Both really tighten up the bass. Do you try to plug the hole as tightly as possible or do you leave a little slack?

Plugging it as tight as possible turns it into a sealed alignment. Leaving slack/allowing some leakage would be more akin to an aperiodic alignment. I'd plug it tight. Maybe even put some tape (removable, not permanent adhesive type, like 3M masking tape in the paint section of the hardware store), since the port is on the rear.

cheers,

AJ
post #14 of 15 Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

After a 10 days of plugging the rear port, I've decided to unplug it and adjust the bass down via the tone controls. While it definitely tightens the bass, I felt like I was losing something in the mid range and was driving myself crazy adjusting the eq. However, just reverting back to an unplugged rear port and lowering the bass seems to have gotten the tone as good as possible for the space limited setup I have. Thanks to all for the feedback on this.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-09-2013, 08:55 AM

Any of you guys who are answering without actually hearing the Mini Monitors in question should be advised: That speaker has a FURIOUS peak around 180 Hz. It is totally unusable.

Away from the walls hell. You could put the speaker outdoors and it would be too boomy to use.

It was so bad that one day I saw a top-of-the-line not-too-old pair of Paradigm towers, shiny Dagmars and all, in a thrift store for $25 the pair -- and I didn't buy them.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page