Audioengine A5 as Soundbar and Overheating - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a set of A5+ in bamboo for dinning/kitchen music. They're awesome! No boomy overwhelming bass, just accurate beautiful sound.

So.. I hooked them up to my TV in the LR to see how they handled movies. Incredible! Dialog was crisp and clear, explosions massive. I was about to buy some $250 soundbar - Now I want to get another set of A5s, but don't want to shell out another $469 (bamboo is extra $70).

Question is this: Do the older A5s (not +) overheat and shut down when listened to at normal volumes? I've hear of scattered reviews that they shut down due to overheating, but wondering if its because they're cranked up to 75%+ for long periods of time. Movies usually necessitate 25-35% volume at best. They can be had on ebay for around $200, and it seems like a no brainer, plus a sub can be linked wirelessly later down the road. Another option would be a new set of A2 ($169 new on ebay) + AW-1 ($99) and a cheap $99 sub.

Thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

burley:
AudioEngine A5s were designed to be desktop, near field speakers and they do that very well. I have had a pair for quite a while and have had no issues with them even playing them for 10-12 hours per day. I would think that any over-heating issues you may have with them for movies is due to running them an high volume levels over long periods of time. I suggest some HT gear for that kind of use and leave the A5s for more reasonable listening activities.

mnilan
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

burley:
AudioEngine A5s were designed to be desktop, near field speakers and they do that very well. I have had a pair for quite a while and have had no issues with them even playing them for 10-12 hours per day. I would think that any over-heating issues you may have with them for movies is due to running them an high volume levels over long periods of time. I suggest some HT gear for that kind of use and leave the A5s for more reasonable listening activities.

From reading reviews, the older A5s overheat while listening to music (A5+ has a heatsink). Im guessing that movies wouldn't be much different. I listen to movies much quieter than music, or maybe the same from time to time.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 PM

I have been happy with my A5s. I use them as TV speakers as well as for listening to music off of the laptop. I have only had them overheat once while playing music at what most would consider "way too loud"....they played for probably 15 minutes at that ridiculous level. They did not do well outdoors for a 4th of July celebration either. Too loud too long. But they sound great. If the A5+'s improved heatsink cures the overheating issues, I would get them if that is what you want. The remote and variable output are the main features that have me thinking of upgrading.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Given that audioengine a5 is no longer available on the audioengine site, I'd suggest that there is enough ancedotal evidence to suggest that a5+ would be preferred over a5. They decided that a design upgrade was necessary and did so.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Given that audioengine a5 is no longer available on the audioengine site, I'd suggest that there is enough ancedotal evidence to suggest that a5+ would be preferred over a5. They decided that a design upgrade was necessary and did so.

I know whats preferred, and I currently own the A5+ for music. The question was strictly about overheating of the A5. From what I gather they only overheated when meatheads cranked them past 80% for a long period of time. These things get pretty freaking loud, there's no reason to have them up that high unless you're outside.

I think I'll give the A5 a try for an alternative to sound bar speakers. They sell on ebay for around $190-220. Cant go wrong at that price.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by **burley** View Post

Do the older A5s (not +) overheat and shut down when listened to
at normal volumes?

At "normal" volumes, my (Dec. 2010) A5's have never shut down, even after
12 hours of music or movies. They've never shut down through days of
continuous TV.

Quote:

I've hear of scattered reviews that they shut down due to overheating,
but wondering if its because they're cranked up to 75%+ for long periods of
time.

I haven't experienced any problems and I haven't seen these reviews. However,
I don't run at "75%+".

Quote:

They can be had on ebay for around $200, and it seems like a no brainer

I could replace the A2's on my office desktop!

Quote:

Another option would be a new set of A2 ($169 new on ebay)

I like my A2's, which I use only for music at low volume levels. I like my A5's
better, and I use them for music, video, and TV and low to moderate volume
levels. (Many reviewers prefer brands other than Audioengine, who I like.)
post #8 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

@Hamilcar Barca

Thanks! Good info! The only setback with the A5 for a sound bar would be no variable output (for sub) and no remote. I'm hoping the TV remote can control the volume, and I don't plan on adding a sub (right away) anyways. I personally think they sound fine without... I suppose I could always get the wireless adapter (w1- $99) to hook up a sub. Anyways, glad to hear they don't shut down from overheating. I guess it was enough of a problem for AE to add heatsinks to the A5+.

Oh, and I heard (a little known secret) that the A2's inputs can also double as outputs for a sub. Just a thought.. Since you own both, would you say A2+sub=A5?
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page