Yamaha P-450 turntable tonearm lubrication - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the Subject says...I have an admittedly-old Yamaha P-450 turntable...not the greatest, but it has served my needs over the years.

Lately the tonearm pivot (the left-right, up-down) where it connects to the base has stopped moving freely. I've had to increase the tracking force in order to get it to drop normally onto the record - not a good solution, I know.

I've ordered a service manual so I can hopefully ascertain how to remedy this, but my thinking is that after all of this time, it simply needs lubrication - but I don't if this is advisable or possible, and, if so, what lubricant to use.

I was hoping to get some advice.

Thanks,

- Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Vinylengine.com. Free to sign up, and all the resources you can imagine for Turntables!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

jdcrox, thanks for that, I have done so.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
A silicone lubricant such as is used for locks etc, is usually a good choice, but there are many different situations.

The old lubricant may have dried out and become solid or gummy, and needs to be flushed out with a solvent first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileboy View Post

As the Subject says...I have an admittedly-old Yamaha P-450 turntable...not the greatest, but it has served my needs over the years.

Lately the tonearm pivot (the left-right, up-down) where it connects to the base has stopped moving freely. I've had to increase the tracking force in order to get it to drop normally onto the record - not a good solution, I know.

I've ordered a service manual so I can hopefully ascertain how to remedy this, but my thinking is that after all of this time, it simply needs lubrication - but I don't if this is advisable or possible, and, if so, what lubricant to use.

I was hoping to get some advice.

Thanks,

- Mark

post #5 of 5 Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

A silicone lubricant such as is used for locks etc, is usually a good choice, but there are many different situations.

The old lubricant may have dried out and become solid or gummy, and needs to be flushed out with a solvent first.

Thanks very much for that, much appreciated - haven't received the service manual yet, I may try and open the thing up anyway this weekend and have a look anyway.

- Mark
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page