About to Pull the Trigger - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-10-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2 channel stereo system. To begin with, I am planning to purchase an Anthem 225 integrated amp and 2 B and W PM1s.

This will be in my main floor living room, open to kitchen. I plan to use this more or less for music listening only, as I have a 7.1 channel home theatre in my basement living room.

I haven't heard the 225, however, it comes highly recommended. Anyone familiar with this combination ?

Thank you.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-10-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlivingstone View Post

Hello,

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2 channel stereo system. To begin with, I am planning to purchase an Anthem 225 integrated amp and 2 B and W PM1s.

This will be in my main floor living room, open to kitchen. I plan to use this more or less for music listening only, as I have a 7.1 channel home theatre in my basement living room.

I haven't heard the 225, however, it comes highly recommended. Anyone familiar with this combination ?

Thank you.

Brian

Very nice! Familiar with a Musical Fidelity A5.5/PM1 combo, excellent. Sure the Anthem will be equally good. The Anthem 225 is probably a better value.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The Anthem is a good amplifier, but it is not as good-sounding as the Exposure or Musical Fidelity M3i amplifiers in that price range. I would recommend that you get a better amplifier to drive speakers of such high quality. The Creek 5350 is another amplifier that is better than the Anthem.

I have the Musical Fidelity M3i in one of my systems, and it is a wonderful-sounding amplifier that puts out 80-100 watts per channel, and will drive low-impedance speakers well as well as others. It certainly has all the power required for the PM1 speakers.

I would recommend that you check it out.

Quote:

Hello,

Thank you.

Brian

post #4 of 8 Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The Anthem is a good amplifier, but it is not as good-sounding as the Exposure or Musical Fidelity M3i amplifiers in that price range. I would recommend that you get a better amplifier to drive speakers of such high quality. The Creek 5350 is another amplifier that is better than the Anthem.

I have the Musical Fidelity M3i in one of my systems, and it is a wonderful-sounding amplifier that puts out 80-100 watts per channel, and will drive low-impedance speakers well as well as others. It certainly has all the power required for the PM1 speakers.

I would recommend that you check it out.

Interesting, need to take a look at the MFM3i someday. Had an MF A5, sold it and replaced it with an Exposure 2010S2. Driving Harbeth Compact 7s and the Exposure is a far better performer for my ears. Rega is another favorite for budget integrates but think the Exposure outdoes it. MFs, while usually delivering plenty of power, sound a bit sterile to me. Maybe the M3i will change my perception.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The Anthem 225 is an excellent integrated and should match up well w/the B&W PM1's. The 225 wpc is more than enough power to get the most out of those speakers. Plus your getting a headphone jack, balanced and unbalaced inputs an HDMI input for SACD. Also something you normally don't see too often, a built in phono stage. Gives you lots of options for your setup. Enjoy the music.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hello,

A local dealer has a pair of demo B and W 804S speakers on sale for the same price as the PM1s. I was looking for a bookshelf speaker as they are for a living room with limited space. However, the dealer strongly suggested the 804s would offer an improvement over the PM1s. Also, it was suggested that the Sim Audio 340i would drive the speakers nicely. He is suggesting Sim Audio is noticably better than the Anthem 225.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this combo ?

Thank you.

Brian
post #7 of 8 Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Musical Fidelity, Creek, Exposure, and Naim all have very good integrated amplifiers in the $1000-2000 price range that are far superior to the Anthem. The Anthem is simply outclassed in this price range; it wouldn't make my top 5 if I was making a shopping list. The Simaudio is almost certainly better than the Anthem, but that isn't saying much (especially for $4000).

Another possibility that might be better than any of the above would be the Vincent SP-331 power amplifier ($1300), and the SA-31 preamp ($650). The Absolute Sound named the SP-331 Amplifier of the Year in 2010. I don't think I would have to think twice about that combo being my top choice at $2000.

One thing to be aware of is the ultra-low sensitivity of the PM1 speakers; only 84 db/watt. That means they require 4 times as much power for a given volume as a speaker with a 90 db/watt sensitivity.

If those are the speakers you want, be sure you are getting an amplifier that is around 100 watts per channel minimum. The Vincent will deliver 300 watts per channel, so it will drive them very well.

Quote:

Hello,

A local dealer has a pair of demo B and W 804S speakers on sale for the same price as the PM1s. I was looking for a bookshelf speaker as they are for a living room with limited space. However, the dealer strongly suggested the 804s would offer an improvement over the PM1s. Also, it was suggested that the Sim Audio 340i would drive the speakers nicely. He is suggesting Sim Audio is noticably better than the Anthem 225.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this combo ?

Thank you.

Brian

post #8 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Another option in your price range is the NAD 375 BEE. This integrated has enough power to run a pair of Quads. Won't win any beauty contest but it'll get the most out of those 804's.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page