post #31 of 95 Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

OK, we now have the "all amps sound the same" camp posting their nonsense here again! Be prepared for demands that you must do this or come up with 16 links that prove hoo-hah or diddledy-farp or you must be wrong.

People in the audio business such as recording engineers and musicians routinely buy amplifiers such as Bryston and Audio Research which cost many thousands of dollars.

Either these people spend big bucks for these amplifiers because they hear major differences in the sound quality, or they are just fools who have lots of money to waste; take your pick. They are in it to make a living, so they must just be fools who waste money, right?

I have listened to literally dozens of different amplifiers in my own system in my home evaluating the way they make music sound to me, and I certainly hear major differences in amplifiers. Those who don't hear them can certainly save money by buying some cheap junk and listening to it, and that is just fine with me. That is what they deserve.

Those who want me to "prove" what I can hear or not hear are as relevant to me as if someone wanted me to prove I can tell yellow from blue. Their claims that you have to do a certain testing method or your opinion is meaningless are a giant pain in the backside in my opinion, and nothing more.

Without debating an amp is an amp, a speaker cable is a speaker cable, etc., I always find it incredulous that many will say you did not hear what heard. There are many here with that bent. It is OK to say "I" can't hear a difference, not OK to say "you" can't hear a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 Old 03-14-2012, 07:57 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post

Without debating an amp is an amp, a speaker cable is a speaker cable, etc., I always find it incredulous that many will say you did not hear what heard. There are many here with that bent. It is OK to say "I" can't hear a difference, not OK to say "you" can't hear a difference.

I'm sure he heard a difference between amps when he level matched to 1+ db. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=136
post #33 of 95 Old 03-14-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I'd like to thank everyone who has responded to this thread. Even though the discussion has kind of veered off topic, it was still interesting to read what you guys had to say.

I decided to go the simple route and try integrated amps. Maybe down the road I can pick up some separate power amps to play around with and use the yamaha has a pre... Right now there is a Yamaha A-S2000 that's going for $1200(demo model) and I absolutely love the vintage look. Good reviews on the SQ, plenty of inputs and has enough power output for my needs.

What do you guys think? Is 1200(plus shipping/fees) a good price for a used a-s2000? New was original $2500 but I think price has dropped to $2000 new. So i'll be saving around $700.
post #34 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by astromoose View Post

I'd like to thank everyone who has responded to this thread. Even though the discussion has kind of veered off topic, it was still interesting to read what you guys had to say.

I decided to go the simple route and try integrated amps. Maybe down the road I can pick up some separate power amps to play around with and use the yamaha has a pre... Right now there is a Yamaha A-S2000 that's going for $1200(demo model) and I absolutely love the vintage look. Good reviews on the SQ, plenty of inputs and has enough power output for my needs.

What do you guys think? Is 1200(plus shipping/fees) a good price for a used a-s2000? New was original $2500 but I think price has dropped to $2000 new. So i'll be saving around $700.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking into something like an Emotiva Pre-amp and power amp, which would be way less than that expensive Yamaha. I have never liked Yamaha, as to me, they sound cheap/thin/lifeless. You could also look on audiogon and try and find a Parasound 2100 pre-amp or a good Rotel pre-amp and pair it with the Emotiva power amp. Heck, for the price you are paying for that mass marketed Yamaha, you could get either a brand new Rotel integrated or a pair of brand new Rotel separates. I am personally looking into to purchase a new amp for my system, and, will probably go with eith Rotel or Paradigm, and will most likely pay less than a grand.
post #35 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I didn't listen that model, but Yamaha was making integrated amps for decades for price range $500-700. I do not expect that thay made something more substantial to justify higher price of S models. If you like how Yamaha works, find used 79x amplifier. It should go for $400 or so. That is the right price for used Yamaha for me.
post #36 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Without debating an amp is an amp, a speaker cable is a speaker cable, etc., I always find it incredulous that many will say you did not hear what heard.

Actually we aren't saying that at all. We are saying: Let someone setup a a single blind where they switch between modern and competent amps.

Follow the bouncing ball. After 10 flips of the coin tell me what was what through each flip. For people making grandiose claims it's not to much to ask. And remember: They do not even need to know what amps are being evaluated.

When someone says that you can't get a good pre-amp for under $2K (which I think it bollocks, and someone in this thread has said just exactly that) it should be able to stand up under SBT scrutiny.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #37 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:

For just a bit over $1200 you could buy a new Denon 4311,which has received a good bit of praise.

post #38 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Wow...a free psychoanalysis!

This is really interesting stuff. Don't you usually have the patient come to your office for at least one visit before you reach such definitive conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Which is not the technical definition relevant to this discussion. The biases we are talking about are subconscious. Contrary to your previous assertion, you do not know what your biases are. You only know that you have them, cannot control them, and must take active steps to avoid letting them influence your conscious judgments of sound.

Quit digging.

post #39 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

I say that you can't hear a 30 kHz tone.

I say that if a loud tone and a soft tone are playing simultaneously, you will only hear the loud tone.

Turns out, I can say a lot about what you can and cannot hear.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #40 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I agree regarding the poor sound quality of Yamaha amplifiers.

If I had $2000 to spend on amplification, I would get a Vincent SP-331 power amplifier ($1300) and SA-31 preamplifier ($650).

These are excellent-sounding products; much better IMO than anything else in their price range.

The Absolute Sound even picked the SP-331 as their Amplifier of the Year in 2010. It is absolutely amazing for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking into something like an Emotiva Pre-amp and power amp, which would be way less than that expensive Yamaha. I have never liked Yamaha, as to me, they sound cheap/thin/lifeless. You could also look on audiogon and try and find a Parasound 2100 pre-amp or a good Rotel pre-amp and pair it with the Emotiva power amp. Heck, for the price you are paying for that mass marketed Yamaha, you could get either a brand new Rotel integrated or a pair of brand new Rotel separates. I am personally looking into to purchase a new amp for my system, and, will probably go with eith Rotel or Paradigm, and will most likely pay less than a grand.

post #41 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 09:08 AM

Last year I bought a Bel Canto Evo2 Gen. II integrated amp and think it may be the last I buy for a long time. It just sounds (to me) very natural, clean and lifelike. You can find them sometimes on Audiogon for around or less and $1,000.

There are plenty of positive reviews around.
post #42 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:

I agree regarding the poor sound quality of Yamaha amplifiers.

Poor sounding Yamaha amplifiers?? ..commsysman, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm betting that you believe that speakers cables, cd players, interconnects, power conditioners, pre-amps and amplifiers all have their own sonic character. ..Am I right?? Am i also correct that you believe in system synergy; that not only do all these pieces have their own character but that they can all sound different based on what's before or after them in the chain.

So if I'm right in this assumption, then how do you and other golden-eared audiophiles know what component to blame?

You offer these concise, definitive assessments of how certain amps sound but did you abide by the entire golden-eared audiophile paradigm and listen to each and every amplifier in YOUR system with YOUR speakers? And before you dismiss an amp as junk, how do you make sure that what you're attributing to the amp might not instead just be a poor match b/w two otherwise excellent pieces of equipment?? ..Maybe the Yamaha amp is excellent, but the cables chosen just don't work with it?

More likely, it's expectation bias that is influencing what you hear.

I'll bet the Yamaha integrated is a fine amp. ..And I love that it has tone controls and a balance control as the effect these can have on poor recordings easily trump the oh so tiny differences that MAY exist b/w power amplifiers. Anyone WITH ears can hear what tone controls do.
post #43 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post

Poor sounding Yamaha amplifiers?? ..commsysman, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm betting that you believe that speakers cables, cd players, interconnects, power conditioners, pre-amps and amplifiers all have their own sonic character. ..Am I right?? Am i also correct that you believe in system synergy; that not only do all these pieces have their own character but that they can all sound different based on what's before or after them in the chain.

So if I'm right in this assumption, then how do you and other golden-eared audiophiles know what component to blame?

You offer these concise, definitive assessments of how certain amps sound but did you abide by the entire golden-eared audiophile paradigm and listen to each and every amplifier in YOUR system with YOUR speakers? And before you dismiss an amp as junk, how do you make sure that what you're attributing to the amp might not instead just be a poor match b/w two otherwise excellent pieces of equipment?? ..Maybe the Yamaha amp is excellent, but the cables chosen just don't work with it?

I'll bet the Yamaha integrated is a fine amp. ..And I love that it has tone controls and a balance control as the effect these can have on poor recordings easily trump the oh so tiny differences that MAY exist b/w power amplifiers. Anyone WITH ears can hear what tone controls do.

I've always wondered if "system synergy" was valid, how could anyone design a piece of electronic audio gear and know what it would "sound" like.

The engineers would have no idea how their equipment would truly sound, so how could they spec. it out? And, if synergy existed, wouldn't an engineer recommend all components needed to get their piece to sound "right"?

To say Yamaha makes poor sounding amps, as a generalization, should be preficed with the statement "It is my opinion that ...". After all, Yamaha has been making professional electronic gear for a long time that many musicians use.
post #44 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 View Post

If Audio Advisor sold Yamaha stuff he'd say it's the best sounding equipment. Check his posting history and the gear he recommends, cross reference that to Audio Advisor's stock... dude's a shill for them, don't know how he hasn't been banned yet.
post #45 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

If Audio Advisor sold Yamaha stuff he'd say it's the best sounding equipment. Check his posting history and the gear he recommends, cross reference that to Audio Advisor's stock... dude's a shill for them, don't know how he hasn't been banned yet.

Good catch!

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #46 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Good catch!

Kind of old news. He used to actually give the product name then mention you could acquire it at Audio Advisor. Whether AVS or Audio Advisor asked him to stop, who knows.

OTOH, it must be great to have heard every product in whatever market segment is being discussed. How else could one be so definitive in stating something is "the best" if you haven't spent time with each and every product?
post #47 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:

Hello everyone, new guy on the forum and I hope to learn much from this site...

And you will! But you need to be able to weed the good with the bad, as is clearly apparent above. Some give consistently good advice, some only recommend what they own, some think they are gods. After awhile mental lists start to form and the value of knowledge gained here grows exponentially.

I hope you're creating your list as we speak

I might recommend creating a new topic on recommended amps. Be thorough in description of your room and your equipment.

Welcome to the forums, I wish you luck in your journey.

post #48 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

OK, we now have the "all amps sound the same" camp posting their nonsense here again!

Seems better than green pen cable lifting nonsense.

Quote:

People in the audio business such as recording engineers and musicians routinely buy amplifiers such as Bryston and Audio Research which cost many thousands of dollars.

And many, many more recording engineers and touring musicians use the superb sounding inexpensive gear that just does the job required, such as the crown mentioned earlier. Yay for stupid anecdotes.

Quote:

Either these people spend big bucks for these amplifiers because they hear major differences in the sound quality, or they are just fools who have lots of money to waste; take your pick.

I'll take money to waste, thanks. But they aren't all fools. Some are just ill informed after having been lied to by someone like you.

Quote:

I certainly hear major differences in amplifiers.

I'm sure you can. Of course, there's a lot more involved in hearing than what arrives at your eardrums.

Quote:

Those who want me to "prove" what I can hear or not hear are as relevant to me as if someone wanted me to prove I can tell yellow from blue.

Funny, I feel your claimed ability is as ridiculous as someone staring at two identical yellow cars and swearing one is blue.

mcnarus made a great point in that since your amp preferences are all based on expectation bias, and others might well have different biases, one would do well to ignore your advice here. Of course one doesn't need to even make that connection, seeing as how after the string of terrible advice and erroneous 'facts' you've spewed out recently one should probably just ignore your advice anyway.

post #49 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

The Yamaha a-s2000 is a beast. Before you write it off, you should look at the specs and give it a listen if you're still interested. 50 lbs of solid state power from a company that knows music (instruments, pro audio, consumer audio, etc.). It is also fully balanced from input to output. Nothing against Emotiva or other internet direct brands, but Yamaha has the r&d and deep pockets to make something special at a reasonable price if they put their minds to it. If I were looking for a two channel integrated, I would definitely try to audition the Yamaha.
post #50 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Despite some of the negative things I'm hearing from some people, I think i'm gonna go with the a-s2000. And it's not $2000, it's a used/demo model for $1200.

Might be a silly questions but will it be okay to add a power amp to it later on? Wouldn't this just bypass the internal amp on the a-s2000? Any drawbacks to using an integrated as a pre?
post #51 of 95 Old 03-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Despite some of the negative things I'm hearing from some people, I think i'm gonna go with the a-s2000. And it's not $2000, it's a used/demo model for $1200.

Might be a silly questions but will it be okay to add a power amp to it later on? Wouldn't this just bypass the internal amp on the a-s2000? Any drawbacks to using an integrated as a pre?

meh your wasting your money just buy the cheaper Yamaha its as good if not better then the other one your looking at. shocking but if u buy the parts for 1000+ amps u pay 50-75% less per part which u can pass onto the customer and increase your R&D where is some crummy audiophile company might not even own the correct tools or know how to build a good amp. and is paying close to full price for its parts or buying from china and getting fakes. and charging you 4-5x as much for some design they changed and stole from some other guy.

as far as i can tell your math is way off u spend 800ish on speakers and poor in 1200 for a amp .... go with at least a 80-20% ratio 80% on speakers 10% on amp and 10% on the other stuff.

idk why people dont understand this but a $110101010101 amp is not going to help crappy speakers.

spend your money on the speakers dont waste it on some fancy amp that does nothing more then cheaper amp can do which is 20-20khz @ +/-1db

dont buy book shelf sized speakers they are just compromised speakers and should not be used for full range music but are fine for surrounds.
post #52 of 95 Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:

Hello everyone, new guy on the forum and I hope to learn much from this site. I'm in the process of purchasing my first stereo amp, a Parasound A23. The unit is used but appears to be in flawless condition. Owner described it to be in excellent working condition and has had it for 3 years. My question is, how much should I be paying for this? He's asking for $600 + shipping would come out to $648. Am I getting ripped off or does Parasound hold their value this well? I thought I made a reasonable offer of $550 shipped but he stands firm with his asking amount.

So friend, what are you into?

Sound quality or bragging rights?

Seems like you want equipment to list for close to a $grand in order to be interesting.

You do know that you can get stuff that sounds as good or better for only a fraction of the price, right?

It might even be fun to do a DBT comparing Parasound's finest to say a Behringer A500 $200 or so street price. But if you want to hear differencs, probably more like watching paint dry.

And as far as those near-kilobuck speakers with 6.5 in or so drivers and a plain old dome tweeter, what about a pair of Behringer B2031A monitors, for less than $400 and they have their own power amps built in?

Its really about sound quality versus bragging rights. Question is who are you going to be bragging to? I'll bet money that almost nobody you know cares a whit about the difference between Swan, Parsound, or Behringer as names go.
post #53 of 95 Old 03-16-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Kind of old news. He used to actually give the product name then mention you could acquire it at Audio Advisor. Whether AVS or Audio Advisor asked him to stop, who knows.

OTOH, it must be great to have heard every product in whatever market segment is being discussed. How else could one be so definitive in stating something is "the best" if you haven't spent time with each and every product?

well, THAT certainly explains a lot... since i'm slow, i never caught on to that...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #54 of 95 Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I don't think I would go this route at all. If you spend 1200 on it, and then get another amp and bypass the amp you just purchased for 1200, then you really end up wasting money.

The specs. on both sets of speakers you are looking into say about 85db/2.83v with a nominal 8 ohm impedence. I didn't take the time to see if there are impedence curves throughout the spectrum on those speakers, but I'll assume they dip to 4ohms. At 85dbs, they are not that efficient. So, if you plan to play them very loud, or listen to very dynamic music (read: classical/jazz) you may need an amp to carry some weight. You'd be fine with lesser power, but need to be careful of the volume level/amp clipping.

If this is going to remain a two channel setup, you could look into the Parasound 2100 preamp and, to match your price of the Yamaha, find a good 2 channel amp for 1200 bucks total. Or, as suggested, you could use the Parasound and add a cheap amp that will sound great, like the A500, and spend the money saved on room treatments (which will help the sound 1000x greater than any electronic purchase).
post #55 of 95 Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you go with the a-s2000, I doubt you would need to add an external amp. The Yamaha is capable of powering most speakers to satisfying listening levels and beyond and the power output is conservatively rated by the manufacturer. Being a science forum, here is a link with some test results if anyone is interested or doubts it's ability to power a difficult speaker.

http://www.avhub.com.au/images/stori...01600396577735

This integrated is unlike anything Yamaha has produced in the past 20-30 years and it is unfair to compare it to one of their lower priced AVR's which is a completely different product for a different user. Think of it as a CA-2010 with modern technology. For those of you saying that the amp is overpriced at $1,2000, you really need to do a little more research on this amp. I doubt any Internet direct outfit could manufacture and produce this amp with the same components for $1,200. Take a look at the power supply for example. Whether it is of any value to you at $1,200 is another question that is completely up to the consumer.

With that said, I agree that the majority of your budget should be put into the speakers.
post #56 of 95 Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Hey, let's get back on track shall we?

Here's what I just bought. It's a dandy.
My listening sessions have told me that it sounds good and has plenty of power. It's also 4-ohm stable.

Sorry, it's cheaper than you were looking for, but I think it will get the job done.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/.../products/a100

$219 shipped.

If you MUST spend more money, they have a 300 WPC amp for $799 shipped that is adequate for the most discerning audiophile IMO.
post #57 of 95 Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am currently using an Arcam FMJ-A22 integrated am in my system...Until I get my vintage Yamaha A-1000 integrated back from an extensive rebuild! For decades Yamaha amps have had fantastic specs, vanishingly low distortion, including THD and IMD. They are tremendously powerful and only output what is put into them. I used a Bryston preamp into a Yamaha AX-592 integrated (running as an amp) and compared it to a Bryston 3B-NRB and could not tell a bit of difference. The Bryston looked better but the Yamaha was heavier...Go figure.

I would buy the A-S2000 in a heartbeat if my current situation allowed it! It would have sold for way more than it did if it had a boutique name attached to it.

Thought question, how many boutique manufacturers have measured the acoustics of every major "sound" venue on the planet, how many of them have been making world class musical instruments for over 100 years? Answer...None. Yes, Yamaha does manufacture some items to meet a price point and it has hurt their reputation. They can and still do make some mighty fine equipment! The innards of the A-S1000/2000 show you that it is no "empty box". As well the phono preamp built into it is no afterthought!

For example my Arcam A-22 is rated at 100 wpc, my A-1000 at 120 wpc. They sound similar at low to medium volumes but the A-1000 slays it when jamming, 20,000 uf (arcam) vs 110000 uf (Yamaha). I have never seen an integrated amp at this price offer this kind of overbuild, and I have owned many! The limits of my Arcam are absolutely not the same as the "old" Yamaha.

I am not advocating buying a vintage amp...Most require work, or will need it soon. I owned a Cambridge Audio 840A and it was built like a toy compared to my A-1000, but on par with my Arcam. Both of the Brits need to take a lesson from Krell as far as volume controls go!

I am a huge fan of integrated amps! They, in my experience, have far les issues with hum and noise. Pick a direction and run with it.

Best of wishes,

The Geek
post #58 of 95 Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

The negative comments are quite remarkable given they're from those with no experience with the A-S2000. I have no experience with the A-S2000 but I find it intriguing and cosmetically appealing. At $1000, seems to be a really good value.

Have you begun discussions/negotiations with the seller? FYI, an essentially new A-S2000 sold on eBay last week fot $975, shipping included. Look it up and consider this in your negotiation if you move forward.

I bought both an Exposure and Primare integrated amp this week to try out. If I didn't already buy those, I would have tried for the A-S2000
post #59 of 95 Old 03-17-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

The negative comments are quite remarkable given they're from those with no experience with the A-S2000.

Not "remarkable" at all if you understand the context in which those comments are being made. You may still choose to disagree with the line of argument in support of that position, which is fine, but at least understand the argument being presented. Because if you did understand it, then it would become clear as to why not having direct "listening" experience with this particular amp wouldn't be an issue from this opposing perspective.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #60 of 95 Old 03-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Astromoose - I would recommend finding a different forum to discuss this. Avs is notorious for these type of threads with posters who feel it is there obligation in life to educate you on how to properly build a system so you can enjoy listening to your music. It really takes the fun out of it if you ask me and limits the discussion.

You will notice the usual blanket statements like all Yamahas sound thin and brittle and Internet direct speakers are always a superior value. It is repeated so much around here that some newbies to the hobby actually believe it is true without making their own conclusions. Oh, and don't ever mix Klipsch with Yamaha unless you want your ears to bleed, but remember all properly built amps sound the same. . That doesn't make any sense.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy whatever you end up with.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page